What Do You Think? Italian Children ‘Blacking Up’ To Celebrate Osimhen

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: What Do You Think? Italian Children ‘Blacking Up’ To Celebrate Osimhen

Post by mcal »

Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:49 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:45 pm We have to stop applying American sensibilities and issues derived from their horrific history of slavery and Jim Crow (blackface theater originated in America) to everything worldwide. The whole "black" and white" issue was spread from America all over the world. People who are Igbo, or Wollof, or Shona are now just simply "black" and people who were Russian, German or Swedish have been condensed to "white".

These kids simply wanted to look like their hero. The grievance artists should find something else.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
I think this sums up my view perfectly.
...we black people have issues with our skin color, we get edgy when others makes reference to it, good, bad or innocent intentions like the picture of that kid.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

mcal wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:11 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:45 pm We have to stop applying American sensibilities and issues derived from their horrific history of slavery and Jim Crow (blackface theater originated in America) to everything worldwide. The whole "black" and white" issue was spread from America all over the world. People who are Igbo, or Wollof, or Shona are now just simply "black" and people who were Russian, German or Swedish have been condensed to "white".

These kids simply wanted to look like their hero. The grievance artists should find something else.
...we black people have issues with our skin color, we get edgy when others makes reference to it, good, bad or innocent intentions like the picture of that kid.

Do you even understand the origin of blackfaces?
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I cannot believe during black history month cursed abandoned refugees are busy support this racist crap

Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Donzman
Egg
Egg

Post by Donzman »

txj wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:32 pm

Do you also understand that Italy has a different history than the USA?

I don't support Blackface but I also understand that not every country has the same history with Blackface as THE USA. Italians probably don't understand why a Black person would be offended.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...minstrel shows by white people mimicking black people in America of old. They know it hurts black people and they continued it.
Like my old headmaster will tell us in primary school, "when someone curses at you by saying eat shiit, tell him to shiit it and you will eat it". To say that to someone in Igbo language is an insult.
Don't get mad at them because they are trying to make you mad, upset you, trick you into assaulting them.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Donzman wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:52 pm

I don't support Blackface but I also understand that not every country has the same history with Blackface as THE USA. Italians probably don't understand why a Black person would be offended.
you mean like fascism ? or the multiple banana and monkey chants?

SuperEagles

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Interesting opinions here. But if a practice is offensive to one or more group of black people then we should be very circumspect about its use, moreso if the practice was used to perpetuate a culture of racism that resulted in terrible consequences for a large group of black people.

I really think people here should take a minute to do a bit of research before taking positions on issues of race. Anyone who’s taken the time to understand the history of black face wouldn’t be so flippant about its use regardless of the context in which it is used.

https://www.history.com/.amp/news/black ... sm-origins

Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

YUJAM wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:15 pm Interesting opinions here. But if a practice is offensive to one or more group of black people then we should be very circumspect about its use, moreso if the practice was used to perpetuate a culture of racism that resulted in terrible consequences for a large group of black people.

I really think people here should take a minute to do a bit of research before taking positions on issues of race. Anyone who’s taken the time to understand the history of black face wouldn’t be so flippant about its use regardless of the context in which it is used.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: shocking i tell you
SuperEagles

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

I don't support Blackface but I also understand that not every country has the same history with Blackface as THE USA. Italians probably don't understand why a *Black person would be offended.
*Black American, understandably. Someone from the deep Nigerian or Senegalese village would probably not be offended, until the history of it's use in the USA is explained to them, and even then it would be on a case by case basis, especially after considering the intent of the Blackface wearer.

Wha choo looking at?!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Wow.

Damunkey, so what is the cutoff age for you? 18, 21, 40? I mean, would you be okay with it when these same kids are 45 and are still painting their faces black since wearing the face mask and cutting their hair the same style is not sufficient?

Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:28 am
But little white kids wanting to look exactly like their black Superhero is a completely different issue for me.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

This is the same kind of stupidity you exhibit on RnR

You think black face started in the US?
You think the Italians don't understand black face?

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
olumide
Egg
Egg

Post by olumide »

I am a an American, so maybe I just have the "American sensibilities" mentioned before, but using Americanization to excuse this sort of behavior does not make sense to me. This is Italy, where it is culturally acceptable to be openly racist towards Africans and specifically Italian football, which is easily the most racist fan culture of the major Western European nations (Osimhen himself has been racially abused multiple times this season, let me know when this happens in America). So, this is a place with a history of racism towards our players where fans are doing something with blatant racial connotations, and we are excusing this? Why?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

olumide wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:57 pm I am a an American, so maybe I just have the "American sensibilities" mentioned before, but using Americanization to excuse this sort of behavior does not make sense to me. This is Italy, where it is culturally acceptable to be openly racist towards Africans and specifically Italian football, which is easily the most racist fan culture of the major Western European nations (Osimhen himself has been racially abused multiple times this season, let me know when this happens in America). So, this is a place with a history of racism towards our players where fans are doing something with blatant racial connotations, and we are excusing this? Why?
In my opinion, this isn’t the same thing as what has been happening in America. Blackface in America is cultural appropriation. In Italy, it is just a bunch of kids attempting to look like one specific individual, their hero, who so happens to be black. What if all they did was copy his hair style without painting their bodies black? Would you then be a little less aggrieved? By the way, I’ve never heard you or anyone else complain about Osimhen coloring his hair white, given that black people normally don’t have white hair🤔❗️

Cheers.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:19 pm
YUJAM wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:15 pm Interesting opinions here. But if a practice is offensive to one or more group of black people then we should be very circumspect about its use, moreso if the practice was used to perpetuate a culture of racism that resulted in terrible consequences for a large group of black people.

It’s kinda interesting that non-Americans don’t know this…they think it’s an American thing. It’s why I keep trying to ask them where they have seen the reverse happen, as if black kids aren’t fans of Ronaldo and Messi, show me where they try to paint their face to match those players and what white folks reactions are…that should tell you it’s deeper, it’s always one way aggression towards us and we just act like it’s nothing…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

maceo4 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:00 am
Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:19 pm

It’s kinda interesting that non-Americans don’t know this…they think it’s an American thing. It’s why I keep trying to ask them where they have seen the reverse happen, as if black kids aren’t fans of Ronaldo and Messi, show me where they try to paint their face to match those players and what white folks reactions are…that should tell you it’s deeper, it’s always one way aggression towards us and we just act like it’s nothing…
Is the face the only part of the body you deem offensive to color? What about other body parts, like the hair for example? I’ve never heard anyone complain about Osimhen’s hair color which is white and not natural?

Intent, to me, matters a lot. Blackface in America is downright racist because of its intent but I don’t think a bunch of young kids painting their faces black to celebrate an outstanding individual amounts to the same thing❗️

Cheers.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The intent alone, even if we assume it genuine is not enough.

Where do you think the kids got the idea from?

And equating this with hair coloring is just plain uninformed

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Now there’s an Osihmen cake. :laugh:
[media] [/media]
OCCUPY NFF!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

What 6 or 7 year old do you know that can paint himself perfectly as the kids in the picture are painted. This was clearly done by an adult. Are you saying it's okay as long as the kids like Osimhen as a player? What's next? Teach them to call him nig.ger?

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:27 pm
olumide wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:57 pm I am a an American, so maybe I just have the "American sensibilities" mentioned before, but using Americanization to excuse this sort of behavior does not make sense to me. This is Italy, where it is culturally acceptable to be openly racist towards Africans and specifically Italian football, which is easily the most racist fan culture of the major Western European nations (Osimhen himself has been racially abused multiple times this season, let me know when this happens in America). So, this is a place with a history of racism towards our players where fans are doing something with blatant racial connotations, and we are excusing this? Why?
In my opinion, this isn’t the same thing as what has been happening in America. Blackface in America is cultural appropriation. In Italy, it is just a bunch of kids attempting to look like one specific individual, their hero, who so happens to be black. What if all they did was copy his hair style without painting their bodies black? Would you then be a little less aggrieved? By the way, I’ve never heard you or anyone else complain about Osimhen coloring his hair white, given that black people normally don’t have white hair🤔❗️

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

1naija wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:10 pm What 6 or 7 year old do you know that can paint himself perfectly as the kids in the picture are painted. This was clearly done by an adult. Are you saying it's okay as long as the kids like Osimhen as a player? What's next? Teach them to call him nig.ger?

Cheers.
So, painting one’s face has suddenly become rocket science❓❗️

Cheers.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I know it's been a while since you dealt with a 6 year old, but they are not that patient and detailed. Go and look at the picture again.

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:20 pm
1naija wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:10 pm What 6 or 7 year old do you know that can paint himself perfectly as the kids in the picture are painted. This was clearly done by an adult. Are you saying it's okay as long as the kids like Osimhen as a player? What's next? Teach them to call him nig.ger?

Cheers.
So, painting one’s face has suddenly become rocket science❓❗️

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:47 pm Now there’s an Osihmen cake. :laugh:
[media] [/media]
This is probably the most sensible thing that has been said about Victor Osimhen’s imagery, Osimhen ought to be the primary beneficiary of his own imagery❗️

Cheers.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:27 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:47 pm Now there’s an Osihmen cake. :laugh:
[media] [/media]
This is probably the most sensible thing that has been said about Victor Osimhen’s imagery, Osimhen ought to be the primary beneficiary of his own imagery❗️

Cheers.

This was cleverly don to avoid a rights dispute. There’s nothing on that cake that Osihmen can claim proprietary rights to. How does a chocolate cake with yellow icing on top and a No 9 on the front violate his prop rights? No 9 could be a 9th birthday or order number. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Cheers.
This is why I appreciate you. Well said! Thank you.
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923