Can we win Afcon?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Can we win Afcon?

Post by Tbite »

Only Osimhen? What talents of the past lol. the 2013 team that won the AFCON was lower than this in talent.

I am telling you guys that the talent we do have are performing BELOW standard. Samu walks into that 2013 team. He is better than Victor Moses in all reality, but we need to get the best from him. Victor Moses was a good example of someone that we milked. He performed better for us in 2013 than he otherwise was. Our troaway strikers are better than Emenike if the coach can get the best from them.

Guys like Zaidu Sanusi, Ndidi, Dennis, Aribo have been performing below their theoretical maximum.

Then you have another class in Iheanacho (on his day, his left foot is as reliable as any player in the world).

The NFF and Peseiro are making good players look like trash and then you guys are saying we are at our lowest ever. If you gave these guys that we have now to the 2013 management, we would have won AFCON scoring 3 goals a game and conceding zero. When you get the best out of players you guys say talent is there, when they are mismanaged you say the talent is missing lol.

A clear example is Iheanacho, when guys run ahead of Iheanacho he is unplayable, when he is isolated he is trash. So how exactly do you guys judge talent? The issue is not about Iheanacho being a second striker or playing in the hole or being CAM or this or that, it's just about players running ahead. Simple things like this unlocks players. What does Ndidi really do best? Probably breaking up play. If he is struggling at the other things, pair him with someone that can free him of those duties.

You need to understand your squad.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The big miss from 2013 is Mikel. And to some extent Onazi.

Without them there is no 2013 Afcon.

Funny 2 midfielders, and I have been screaming about midfield for how many years.

Also Enyeama was key.

Onazi, Mikel, and Enyeama will walk into the starting g lineup of our current team.

After those 3, and maybe Moses our current team is better in every position.

Those players were really key though.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Our 2013 team is so underrated as people label them "home players". But the reality is very different.

Even if we ignore the players Keshi discovered, look at what we had on offer:

Vincent Enyeama - Arguably our best-ever goalkeeper.
Mikel Obi - One of our best all-time players.
Victor Moses - A gem find that was already a big part of the England youth setup.
Emenike - Top-class bustling striker.
Joseph Yobo - One of our best all-time defenders who was still in top form (as he proved in 2014). But guess what? He couldn't even make the first team! That should tell you all you need to know about Keshi's defense at the 2013 AFCON.

The core of this team won the AFCON and reached the 2nd round of the World Cup, matching the successes of top teams we've had in the past.

We don't have a team at this level of talent now.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:43 am The big miss from 2013 is Mikel. And to some extent Onazi.

Without them there is no 2013 Afcon.

Funny 2 midfielders, and I have been screaming about midfield for how many years.

Also Enyeama was key.

Onazi, Mikel, and Enyeama will walk into the starting g lineup of our current team.

After those 3, and maybe Moses our current team is better in every position.

Those players were really key though.
Thank you. You just mentioned Gk and 2 center midfielders. Even if our players are topping the goal scoring chart in the top 5 leagues, we won’t win jack if we don’t address those two areas.

Look at small country like Croatia have finished no worse than 3rd in the last two World Cups with a midfield of Kovacic, Modric & Rakitic. Brozovic took over from Rakitic after he retired. No one can name any world class striker they have?
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

With the clowns running our football.

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

How can a one man midfield win Afcon ?
Silver-Shadow
Egg
Egg

Post by Silver-Shadow »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:00 am Seriously! Pioooom is less than a yr away. I can't handle another disappointment from SE after DNQ and Eguavoen-gate. Assuming we qualify, do we have enough to be a contender at the next Afcon. Morocco, Senegal, Cameroun, Tunisia and host CIV will be teams to beat based on recent records. Egypt,Ghana, BF and Ghana are also very formidable.

Can we win this thing or should I prepare myself for 2nd rd and out?man don taya!
Simple answer - most definitely not!
No Escape
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Orion wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:04 pm Our 2013 team is so underrated as people label them "home players". But the reality is very different.

Victor Moses - A gem find that was already a big part of the England youth setup.
Joseph Yobo - One of our best all-time defenders who was still in top form (as he proved in 2014). But guess what? He couldn't even make the first team! That should tell you all you need to know about Keshi's defense at the 2013 AFCON.

The core of this team won the AFCON and reached the 2nd round of the World Cup, matching the successes of top teams we've had in the past.

Of the players you listed, I only miss Enyeama and Mikel. Onazi should be listed, but if you get the best from players like Etebo and Ndidi, then even he might not be missed.

So really only Enyeama and Mikel are irrefutably irreplaceable in our current squad. Look I am not saying the 2013 squad is trash, but to say it is better than what we have now is ehhhh a bit of a stretch. At best the two squads are identical. At best!

I have been monitoring our results loosely and I am baffled in all honesty. The squad is far better than the results. I am not sure what NFF and Peseiro are doing. If Peseiro does not start winning soon, I will personally slap him.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Tbite wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:47 am
Orion wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:04 pm Our 2013 team is so underrated as people label them "home players". But the reality is very different.

Of the players you listed, I only miss Enyeama and Mikel. Onazi should be listed, but if you get the best from players like Etebo and Ndidi, then even he might not be missed.

So really only Enyeama and Mikel are irrefutably irreplaceable in our current squad. Look I am not saying the 2013 squad is trash, but to say it is better than what we have now is ehhhh a bit of a stretch. At best the two squads are identical. At best!

I have been monitoring our results loosely and I am baffled in all honesty. The squad is far better than the results. I am not sure what NFF and Peseiro are doing. If Peseiro does not start winning soon, I will personally slap him.
I think you're underrating the 2013 teams because you're looking at the players across the whole arc of their careers rather than at their peak in 2013/2014.

Look at the defense, for example. Can you really compare the guys we have now (that everyone agrees are not good on the ball) to the 2013 versions of Efe Ambrose, Omeruo, Oboabona, and Echiejile? Those guys were good on the ball, and the team was able to build an attack from back to front. We had defenders who could dribble, retain the ball under pressure, and make accurate passes instead of booting it upfront.

The guys in the middle were also good on the ball - Obi and Onazi. In fact, that was the reason we beat CIV. SE was just better on the ball compared to CIV.

Looking at the back line, Enyeama is not even an argument. But I wouldn't swap a single defender we have now with the guys in 2013. In the middle, Obi and Onazi (2013 versions) over our current midfield is not even an argument.

Up front, Moses and Emenike (2013 versions) would not be displaced by any current player. BTW, Emenike got the golden boots at that AFCON.

I've not even mentioned Mba. This is a player that faded very quickly after the AFCON and is polarizing in terms of opinions. But I would not replace the 2013 version of Mba with any of our current players in that attacking midfield role.

So there you go. You have almost an entire team there. The only players that can complement them from our current team are Iwobi and Osimhen.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes