Is Osimhen bad at taking penalties?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Is Osimhen bad at taking penalties?

Post by Tbite »

Lets not talk about designated PK taker or a previous miss, these are all irrelevant.
Even good penalty takers like Balotelli and Del Pierro have missed. So what he missed last season? Lol.

What I want to know is why he isn't the designated taker THIS season! Is Kvara so good at taking penalties in training and Osimhen so poor at taking them in training? Or does he freeze up? Can't handle the pressure?

1) He should be the designated taker
2) Even not as a designated taker, he should be at the VERY LEAST a secondary option.
3) God forbid he should be a tertiary option.
4) Heaven's forbid, they should at least GLANCE in his general direction/.

Osimhen CLEARLY is not even a secondary or tertiary option as he was the farthest player from the spot lol. I think he may have been fifth in the line to that kick. THAT is not normal. As soon as the PK was awarded he even ran away immediately. His teammates didn't even take one look at him.

Even in PSG where they have their pecking order, they will still consider the secondary and tertiary options every now and again, and someone of Osimhen's caliber would be in the mix.

So having established the ground rules, I don't think this is a none issue. Why is Osimhen running away from penalties? Has the coach frozen him out? I want answers. In football, you do not miss one penalty and then get frozen out, doesn't work like that. And to readdress my opening statement, well clearly the rest of Napoli are not that good at taking penalties lol, so Spalletti would be a fool to scapegoat Osimhen, Napoli have been missing penalties for fun (in general). So if it is about freezing people out, then the goalkeeper should be taking the pens.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Is Osimhen bad at taking penalties?

Post by Tbite »

Ok apparently Osimhen gave his answer.
Why I didn’t take penalty against Frankfurt – Osimhen
16th March 2023
FBL-ITA-SERIEA-SPEZIA-NAPOLI
Napoli's Nigerian forward Victor Osimhen reacts during the Italian Serie A football match between Spezia and Napoli on February 5, 2023 at the Alberto-Picco stadium in La Spezia. (Photo by Alberto PIZZOLI / AFP)

Agency Report
Super Eagles striker Victor Osimhen has explained why he did not take the chance to score a hat-trick in Napoli’s round 16 Champions League win against Eintracht Frankfurt on Wednesday.

Osimhen scored two goals as Napoli defeated Frankfurt 3-0 to qualify for a first-ever Champions League quarter-final place 5-0 on aggregate.

He scored in two minutes into first-half stoppage time and netted his second goal in the 53rd minute, Complete Sports reports.

Piotr Zielinski scored Napoli’s third from the penalty spot in the 64th minute.

Osimhen would have taken the penalty to bag a hat-trick but instead handed the ball over to Zielinski.

Related News
I don’t need penalties to score goals – Osimhen
AFCON qualifiers: Osimhen, Iheanacho named in Eagles squad against Guinea Bissau
What I will do at end of season - Osimhen
In a video posted on BT Sport’s YouTube channel, Osimhen said he was not bothered about who scored as long as the club achieved success.

“The penalty Zieliniski asked me if he could take it, of course, I’m a team player it doesn’t matter who scores as long as the team achieves success. I know my goals will come with or without penalty,” Osimhen said.

According to Complete Sports, the player also expressed delight following Napoli’s historic quarter-final qualification, saying, “It feels good, it feels amazing, it feels good to make history with this win. We want to keep on going like this until the next round, we are ready for it,” he added.

Osimhen has scored four goals in five Champions League matches this term.

The 24-year-old is the first player to score for Napoli in both legs of a Champions League knockout tie.
https://punchng.com/why-i-didnt-take-pe ... t-osimhen/
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

So Zielinski asked...I don't know, it makes sense as an isolated incident. Lionel Messi famously gives penalties to his teammates even when they want him to take it. But the overwhelming pattern is that Napoli do not press on Osimhen to participate.

That to me is not normal. And as much as Zielinski won the penalty, Osimhen was on a hattrick. I think given that he never takes them (and Zielinski has taken more I believe), I feel that Osimhen should have taken it. Zielinski should not have asked. There is humility and team camaraderie, but at lot of that is also built on respect. A certain level of respect should be given to Victor. They should have offered him the penalty, and if he wanted to be humble he could turn it down.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

tidbit, the sign of madness is when one starts talking to himself.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Osihmen is a humble boy. It’s natural considering his upbringing and how much he had to work at such an early age to defer the glory to others. I don’t think he sees it as a lost opportunity but rather but an opportunity to help others. He’ll grow out of it soon.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

1naija wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:57 am tidbit, the sign of madness is when one starts talking to himself.
How was I talking to myself. I posted the first thing....then did further research (yes I actually look things up and learn about virtually anything I can). Then I revisited the point. One thing I like to do on CE is not go back and edit my previous points. It just points to authenticity.

The first post you get my initial reaction, the second, you get the post addressing the article. Let me know if this is too hard for you to comprehend.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Is Osimhen bad at taking penalti

1naija wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:57 am tidbit, the sign of madness is when one starts talking to himself.
Onku, you’re corrupt to the marrow for supporting Wike’s selection to SE . The boy doesn’t deserve an invite and u know it.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:58 am Osihmen is a humble boy. It’s natural considering his upbringing and how much he had to work at such an early age to defer the glory to others. I don’t think he sees it as a lost opportunity but rather but an opportunity to help others. He’ll grow out of it soon.
Oh an actual response. I thought CE had completely devolved into a $#% show of toxic ramblings.

Yes humility is common in these circumstances as I said, but STILL respect comes FIRST, humility comes second. They should have offered the pen to him and maybe then he could have declined. You do not earn a certain level of stature and rank, only for it to not be recognised. Moreover, I am not worried about this isolated incident, but the overwhelming pattern. Why is the guy not in the mix at all, does Victor have an answer for that? This may be a case of given a false answer.

Is Victor good at taking penalties? What exactly is going on. You will see the same thing happen in games before and games in the future.

Can someone give an example of a comparable player to Victor that is not in the mix for penalties? I cannot think of one.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Tbite wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:03 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:58 am Osihmen is a humble boy. It’s natural considering his upbringing and how much he had to work at such an early age to defer the glory to others. I don’t think he sees it as a lost opportunity but rather but an opportunity to help others. He’ll grow out of it soon.
Oh an actual response. I thought CE had completely devolved into a $#% show of toxic ramblings.

Yes humility is common in these circumstances as I said, but STILL respect comes FIRST, humility comes second. They should have offered the pen to him and maybe then he could have declined. You do not earn a certain level of stature and rank, only for it to not be recognised. Moreover, I am not worried about this isolated incident, but the overwhelming pattern. Why is the guy not in the mix at all, does Victor have an answer for that? This may be a case of giving a false answer to save face.

Is Victor good at taking penalties? What exactly is going on. You will see the same thing happen in games before and games in the future.
It’s a mindset. Victor doesn’t believes that he can score goals without pks and he’s shown that. The one thing we underestimate about him is his mentality. Imagine a young kid that grew up selling pure water in the hot streets of Lagos that makes it to the top level,the experience is still with him. He doesn’t see loss, he sees opportunity.
OCCUPY NFF!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Is Osimhen bad at taking penalti

Post by 1naija »

He is far better than the Israeli League basket that has let in 26 goals in 26 appearances. He is the greatest young goalie to join the SE since Noble, another Rivers United product.

When will Ibadan start contributing to Nigeria? :mad: :mad: :mad: :veryangry: :veryangry:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:02 am
Onku, you’re corrupt to the marrow for supporting Wike’s selection to SE . The boy doesn’t deserve an invite and u know it.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Yep.. mad people always try to explain themselves to justify talking to themselves.
Tbite wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:59 am
How was I talking to myself. I posted the first thing....then did further research (yes I actually look things up and learn about virtually anything I can). Then I revisited the point. One thing I like to do on CE is not go back and edit my previous points. It just points to authenticity.

The first post you get my initial reaction, the second, you get the post addressing the article. Let me know if this is too hard for you to comprehend.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Is Osimhen bad at taking penalt

1naija wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:10 am He is far better than the Israeli League basket that has let in 26 goals in 26 appearances. He is the greatest young goalie to join the SE since Noble, another Rivers United product.

When will Ibadan start contributing to Nigeria? :mad: :mad: :mad: :veryangry: :veryangry:
Ibadan gave you Ike Shoronmu , Mutiu, Muda and more. When will River stop rippin Nigeria off? :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Is Osimhen bad at taking penalt

Post by 1naija »

Since we are talking ancient history, Rivers state gave you Adokiye, Richard Owubokri, Taribo West, Finidi George, the Great KING YOBO, Noble and many more. If it weren't for tribalism, Morison Nkua, Manson Kuti, Friday Nsaa, Flying cat (can't remember his real name but the best goalkeeper Rivers state has seen), Bamboo yogo yogo, would have waltz into the Super Eagles.

Nigeria's biggest impediment in soccer is Tribalism!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:27 am
1naija wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:10 am He is far better than the Israeli League basket that has let in 26 goals in 26 appearances. He is the greatest young goalie to join the SE since Noble, another Rivers United product.

Ibadan gave you Ike Shoronmu , Mutiu, Muda and more. When will River stop rippin Nigeria off? :laugh:
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Lets look at the basic stats to get a quick glimpse if this situation really is perculiar or not.

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

You can see from the 20 I listed, only 5 of the top 20 strikers have scored no penalties this season. Now this is just looking at who scored (https://fbref.com/en/comps/Big5/stats/p ... gues-Stats)....Actually Messi, Rashford, and Osimhen are the ONLY three that have yet to attempt a pen in the top five leagues and are in the top 20.

They may have attempted or even scored in other competitions though. Messi for sure will attempt at least one, even if Mbappe is designated. Rashford I am not too familiar with him. I don't watch United too much.

So from the sample of 20, we are looking at 85% of the top scorers will attempt a pen. Not damning, but certainly proves that this is something WORTH discussing. It is not a non issue.

Edit (I think I have received permission from 1naija to add more information).

Rashford attempted and scored a penalty in the FA Cup. That means of the top forwards, ONLY Osimhen and Messi have not attempted a penalty....and like I said, Messi will most likely get a shot at some point. So likely it will be ONLY Osimhen that will not have attempted.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I didn't read your post, but every team has designated penalty takers. If Osimhen is not the designated penalty taker for Napoli, which he is not, then it's up to the designated penalty taker to decide if Osimhen should take the penalty or not. But what if the score was 0 - 0 or 0 - 1 to the opposing team and Napoli needed the goal? Would you let Osimhem take the penalty or the person who has demonstrated to be the best penalty taker for the team? You see why you are wrong in your outburst?
Tbite wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:12 am You can see from the 20 I listed, only 5 of the top 20 strikers have scored no penalties this season. Now this is just looking at who scored (https://fbref.com/en/comps/Big5/stats/p ... gues-Stats)....Actually Messi, Rashford, and Osimhen are the ONLY three that have yet to attempt a pen in the top five leagues and are in the top 20.

They may have attempted or even scored in other competitions though. Messi for sure will attempt at least one, even if Mbappe is designated. Rashford I am not too familiar with him. I don't watch United too much.

So from the sample of 20, we are looking at 85% of the top scorers will attempt a pen. Not damning, but certainly proves that this is something WORTH discussing. It is not a non issue.

Edit (I think I have received permission from 1naija to add more information).

Rashford attempted and scored a penalty in the FA Cup. That means of the top forwards, ONLY Osimhen and Messi have not attempted a penalty....and like I said, Messi will most likely get a shot at some point. So likely it will be ONLY Osimhen that will not have attempted.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

You did not read anything in this thread. Use CTRL + F and type designated, before assuming that tidbit does not know what it is.

But I will respond to ONE thing you said, Why isn't Osimhen the PRIMARY taker lol? He has been there THREE seasons. I know the captain isn't the primary taker, I know it isn't Zielinksi lol. That itself is a question worth asking. Why isn't it Osimhen?

Actually the funny thing that I just found out after doing some digging is that in the previous season Osimhen was one of the designated takers according to Spalletti. So it means that Osimhen was officially demoted if he is no longer officially considered.

This is the quote "Is Kvara the penalty taker? Yes but there are others".....

In fact if this website is accurate, Osimhen is still listed alongside Kvara. Moreover, let me teach you something. There is a pecking order, rather than a single duty. Most teams have 2-3 takers designated. Yet any time that a penalty is to be taken, the supposed #2 runs far away from the spot.

https://setpiecetakers.com/penalty-takers-serie-a/
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

You just showed why no one should take what's posted here too seriously. The designated penalty is not always "the best player", but the best penalty taker. This is why coaches sub for players on the bench for games that are about to go to penalties. There are players that are shait but can score penalties!!!

I was a good player in college but not a good penalty taker. A team I was part of lost the chance to go to the regional finals because I was asked to take a penalty kick because I was one of the consistent players on the team. I missed the kick and we lost. Meanwhile we had a player that has scored every penalty kick took even-though he rarely started.

You get it?
Tbite wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:44 am You did not read anything in this thread. Use CTRL + F and type designated, before assuming that tidbit does not know what it is.

But I will respond to ONE thing you said, Why isn't Osimhen the designated taker lol? He has been there THREE seasons. I know the captain isn't the designated taker, I know it isn't Zielinksi lol. That itself is a question worth asking. Why isn't it Osimhen?
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

You are posting for the sake of posting at this point.

Virtually every point you raised, I already raised before you even responded. A debate is supposed to take a discussion forward, but you are taking it backwards.

Good day sir and I hope the cabu cabu business is treating you well.

as for the others who wanted to get anything from this thread at all. The research, the data that we do have, has shown that Vic is attempting fewer penalties than his peers (irrespective of the simplistic points that 1naija raised, which were mentioned from the onset). Let me reiterate as well, that the research seems to suggest that Victor IS supposed to be #2 in the pecking order at the least. As for why he is not #1, I have absolutely no idea. We don't have training ground footage or insights. What we do know is that NOBODY in Napoli seems to be a penalty expert (based on in game footage), so I doubt there is anything spectacular going on in training.

but you will find that even #3 or #4 takers are fancying themselves above him, even on a hattrick. Strange behaviour.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

and if this thread is daft, I wonder why journalists are asking it...and many fans are wondering lol.

now many would say case closed with Osimhen's response. But I am not convinced by the response. I think he should be attempting more PKs, pure and simple. It is the case everywhere else (now nobody should come here about theories about a single taker, most teams use 2-3 takers), and in most situations the #1 will be the top forward). Those two situations put together is why in virtually all teams, someone like Victor would be attempting some PKs...and the data shows it.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tbite wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:02 am and if this thread is daft, I wonder why journalists are asking it...and many fans are wondering lol.

now many would say case closed with Osimhen's response. But I am not convinced by the response. I think he should be attempting more PKs, pure and simple. It is the case everywhere else (now nobody should come here about theories about a single taker, most teams use 2-3 takers), and in most situations the #1 will be the top forward). Those two situations put together is why in virtually all teams, someone like Victor would be attempting some PKs...and the data shows it.
I’ve come to the conclusion he’s scared to take them, simple. Nothing else makes sense…he hasn’t even looked to attempt one since he missed against Allison.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:29 am
Tbite wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:02 am and if this thread is daft, I wonder why journalists are asking it...and many fans are wondering lol.

I’ve come to the conclusion he’s scared to take them, simple. Nothing else makes sense…he hasn’t even looked to attempt one since he missed against Allison.
Yep.
For someone like Osimhen who fights for every ball and every opportunity, it does look odd how he almost seems to look the other way when a penalty is awarded his team.
His body language is almost like, ‘don’t even involve me in the conversation, abeg.’ :rotf:
That to me says it all.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

He isn't bad at PK, he is actually the designated PK taker at Napoli, and he has scored every PK for the SE. I like the fact that all his goals so far this season are all from open play. The bobo reached the 20 goal landmark without scoring a PK. Now run tell that
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved