What is technical ability?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
What is technical ability?

Post by Tbite »

I only watched the first half (I am getting older and can't pull all nighters as well as I used to). But one thing I noticed is the technical ability for all players was trash. It was quite interesting to note. These players supposedly played in the Serie A, EPL, La Liga etc. and they had such poor technical ability.

We can discuss tactics, and I said fire the coach, but the funny thing is these guys did the basic technical things, they would have won 3-1. I don't mean change the tactics, I don't mean change the plays, I don't mean change the tempo. Just do the same exact things, but actually execute technically. They would have won 3-1. This was my initial post.

BUT, here is the thing.....What is technical ability?

If Osimhen plays a ball into the box and Ademola is astray and doesn't read the cross, it makes Osimhen look wayward as the deliverer, as if he overhits it, but in reality, Lookman is out of sync.

Also, if a team is limited tactically then they rely on the same plays and FORCE the issue, when the force the issue, their through balls and crosses are essentially spammed and appear to be more inaccurate.

Initially when I started writing this thread I had a different title and it was more about technical ability lacking in the team..but then I realised, is this really the case? We assume that Napoli has perfect technical ability. I watch Napoli more than I watch the SE, and let me tell you this, they make the same mistakes! Lozano does overhit his crosses, Politano does undershoot, even Kvara does play the wrong ball. Marco Rui does mistime the pass. They make all of the same mistakes, yet Pep says they play the best football in Europe alongside Arsenal, hmmmm.

So what is the difference? I think the difference is they have chemistry and tactics. Chemistry means that both players know what is coming. When we talk about technical ability we make it sound like it takes one player to create it, yes strictly speaking. But it takes two players to DEMONSRATE it. You can have all the techical ability in the world, but if your teammate is a moron, you will struggle to demonstrate it. If tbite played with Messi, he could make Messi look bad.

Moreover, if your tactics are too limited, then you are too desperate in your plays. These two situations mean that the same player with the same technical ability can be made to look worse despite nothing changing.

I wanted to write a post about how Nigerian players have been getting by on limited technical ability. But if you look at Osimhen in Napoli, the technical ability is better demonstrated, even Simon who didn't start, his crosses have always looked better in Nantes! Funny how that goes. We can talk about the weather, we can talk about the pitch, but I think we need to talk about team chemistry and the strength of our tactics.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: What is technical ability?

Post by Tbite »

To be clear. I am not saying we need better players. What I am saying is our players clearly do not understand each other, which magnifies their mistakes. Players in teams like Arsenal and Napoli make elementary mistakes also. But poor team chemistry will make it seem like technical ability is completely bereft. Moreover, improved tactics will lead to better shot/play selection. This is the succinct version of the above.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

I mentioned this during the game. A good example of this is Lookman who overcooked almost every thru pass he attempted. Let’s not even mention all the wayward ballooned crosses that were coming in from either side when under zero pressure. Things like this are so confusing to me and I don’t think it’s just about chemistry, these are straight forward passes/crosses that they normally make at their club. But I can’t tell you why they keep getting them wrong every SE game…The best cross of the night came in from Zaidu but Air Onu and Vic O found a way to run into each other *shakes head*
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Great question. Technical ability is often assumed to be dribbling skills but they’re not exactly the same thing. Dribbling is the ability to change direction and pace without losing the ball against an opponent. Technical ability includes a player’s proficiency in handling the ball, making the right decisions, passing, shooting and making plays with the ball. A very technical player is like a football Engineer while a great dribbler is like a football artist. Example of a technical v Dribbler.

JJ v Ronaldinho

Both were equally great dribblers but Ronaldinho was the more technical player. His decision making, shooting, ability to anticipate a play before it happened and an eye for goal made him a more technical player. JJ was better at making the most out of nothing, creative and a decent shooter but his decision making was not on Ronaldinho’s level. Decision making is a critical part of being a technical player. Other players of similar caliber who were technicaly better than JJ are Luca Modric, Zidane, and Pirlo. All were great players but JJ lacked behind all of them technically though he’s arguably the best dribbler of the lot. The more technical player gets better results than the artistic player consistently.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:18 am Great question. Technical ability is often assumed to be dribbling skills but they’re not exactly the same thing. Dribbling is the ability to change direction and pace without losing the ball against an opponent. Technical ability includes a player’s proficiency in handling the ball, making the right decisions, passing, shooting and making plays with the ball. A very technical player is like a football Engineer while a great dribbler is like a football artist. Example of a technical v Dribbler.

JJ v Ronaldinho

Both were equally great dribblers but Ronaldinho was the more technical player. His decision making, shooting, ability to anticipate a play before it happened and an eye for goal made him a more technical player. JJ was better at making the most out of nothing, creative and a decent shooter but his decision making was not on Ronaldinho’s level. Decision making is a critical part of being a technical player. Other players of similar caliber who were technicaly better than JJ are Luca Modric, Zidane, and Pirlo. All were great players but JJ lacked behind all of them technically though he’s arguably the best dribbler of the lot. The more technical player gets better results than the artistic player consistently.
Yes decision making and eye for goal and ability on the ball.....that is technical ability (I.e. what the player HAS). but I am also arguing another layer to this point. How can you DEMONSTRATE that ability. No matter how good a person is, if they do not have the ability to demonstrate their innate ability, they will look lesser. When Einstein was working in the patent office, he looked lesser.

My point is not that our players have great world class technical ability, but that their technical ability (though not perfect by any means) is probably made to look WORSE than it actually is. Because no matter how great the decision maker is, if team chemistry is lacking, there is only so much that can be done. What will Pirlo do or Zidane or Iniesta or KDB, if the other players are all over the shop.

This is an important point to emphasise, because we assume that what we see is what we have. Then we assume that the issue must be personnel. I think there is a greater overlap between individual brilliance and team play than we assume. Of course the greater the individual brilliance, the more opportunities to FIND any semblance of sense....but assuming you don't have three or four world class players on your team, you really will need a lot of chemistry, even against a side like Guinea Bissau.

Guinea Bissau were not better than Nigeria, they won because of one simple reason, they understood their assignment. An angel* that understands basic arithmetic can appear to be more competent than a genius that doesn't understand quantum physics, depending on the context. What was the goal? A basic route one goal, but they understood it.

We were clearly better, but we didn't understand what we were doing. I think it boils down to the coach then. Why did the players lack completely understanding and awareness? Osimhen clearly didn't understand Lookman, and even Iheanacho and Ademola that you would think would know each other, didn't understand each other either. Even the centrebacks didn't understand their assignment. The goal was the easiest route to goal from a longball I have ever seen in my life.

Are these fundamentals? Or was this a team that didn't understand what the coach was trying to drill? It seems Peseiro had a plan and NOBODY understood it.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Tbite wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:35 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:18 am Great question. Technical ability is often assumed to be dribbling skills but they’re not exactly the same thing. Dribbling is the ability to change direction and pace without losing the ball against an opponent. Technical ability includes a player’s proficiency in handling the ball, making the right decisions, passing, shooting and making plays with the ball. A very technical player is like a football Engineer while a great dribbler is like a football artist. Example of a technical v Dribbler.

JJ v Ronaldinho

Yes decision making and eye for goal and ability on the ball.....that is technical ability (I.e. what the player HAS). but I am also arguing another layer to this point. How can you DEMONSTRATE that ability. No matter how good a person is, if they do not have the ability to demonstrate their innate ability, they will look lesser. When Einstein was working in the patent office, he looked lesser.

My point is not that our players have great world class technical ability, but that their technical ability (though not perfect by any means) is probably made to look WORSE than it actually is. Because no matter how great the decision maker is, if team chemistry is lacking, there is only so much that can be done. What will Pirlo do or Zidane or Iniesta or KDB, if the other players are all over the shop.

This is an important point to emphasise, because we assume that what we see is what we have. Then we assume that the issue must be personnel. I think there is a greater overlap between individual brilliance and team play than we assume. Of course the greater the individual brilliance, the more opportunities to FIND any semblance of sense....but assuming you don't have three or four world class players on your team, you really will need a lot of chemistry, even against a side like Guinea Bissau.

Guinea Bissau were not better than Nigeria, they won because of one simple reason, they understood their assignment. An angel* that understands basic arithmetic can appear to be more competent than a genius that doesn't understand quantum physics, depending on the context. What was the goal? A basic route one goal, but they understood it.

We were clearly better, but we didn't understand what we were doing. I think it boils down to the coach then. Why did the players lack completely understanding and awareness? Osimhen clearly didn't understand Lookman, and even Iheanacho and Ademola that you would think would know each other, didn't understand each other either. Even the centrebacks didn't understand their assignment. The goal was the easiest route to goal from a longball I have ever seen in my life.

Are these fundamentals? Or was this a team that didn't understand what the coach was trying to drill? It seems Peseiro had a plan and NOBODY understood it.

I think you might be conflating technical ability with team chemistry. A player with good technical ability will still make the right decisions and plays most of the time regardless of who he’s playing with, the team’s ability to incorporate his skills to get a result has more to do with team chemistry and coaching. The loss to Guinea Bissau is a great example of when overall team play surpasses technical ability, meaning that the Guinea players were better than the sum of all parts. They followed their plan, stuck with it and took their chances. They knew they couldn’t beat us technically but they had a plan and they believed in it. We’re now seeing a pattern of teams beating us in similar manner. Our team does not have players that complement each other, we start players based on who they play for and how many goals scored recently.

Imho, the SE have too many players that need the ball to be effective.Unless they’re scoring they’re of little value. When you start Lookman,Aribo, Nacho , Iwobi, and Chukwueze , they all need the ball to be effective. What happens is that you look good in possession until the other team figures you out. Once they do, you have little recoverability because your team is setup to hold the ball and score, not recover and reset.

We’re really missing our hustlers, the grifters, sweat merchants we used to abuse. The Garba Lawals, Mutui, Oruma ,Oliseh and Mikels. The players who could be at 2 locations at the same time fighting just to get the ball.They’re the engine, the creative and motivational force. Ndidi made up for much of that but he’s no longer able to do so at the same level he used to. We need surgery!
OCCUPY NFF!!
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

All you guys have described here is not technical ability. Rather it is the tactical awareness of a player in a team structure. No example illustrates this better than the JJ vs Ronaldinho example. JJ is one of the most skillful players in the world. I doubt if there are 5 players more skillful than him in his Era. But you know whyteams like Barca, Real Madrid and Co never came for him? His tactical awareness in a team structural play let him down. In local parlance he gets carried away by his skills and plays to d gallery. Him too dey over do am. And what you guys have been describing here
But the problem this SE today was that the team actually lacked structural play. Tactically nill as a team. The coach basically chose 11 players based on their performance in Europe and simply hoped they will bulldoze their way through Guinea Bissau. There's a limit where skills, technical abilities and tactical awareness of players in a team can go. Where that ends it is left for the coach and bench to mold those players skillset into a tactics that benefits the team. But this Poseiro or whatever his name is lacks it. See jow tactically molded the opposing team is. You can feel a structure in the team.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

You talk about overhit passes and crosses etc when you are playing on that disgrace of a pitch.

It's no coincidence we set a record and won 10 kendo playing on an actual pitch in MOROCCO.

No coincidence I tell you.

You plan for success.

That means pick the right administrator's, pick the right coaches, pick the right players, pick the right tactics and formations, AND YES HAVE PROPER PITCHES TO PLAY ON.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Thread is beginning to address the issues.

The players are plugged into structured team systems in Europe that's why they look good. Bring them all together and you see something different.

You need players that understand the position they play to make the team. As long as you continue to invite these set of players you will get the same results and frustrations.
I always say if you can't 'trap' ball you have no business in the team.

Trap in this case refers to overall ball control and close first touch. Precision of passes and crossing.

Technical ability includes the above, dribbles and decision making, running into space, knowing when to run into spaces/spacial awareness, knowing when to be direct, anticipation both defensively and offensively, balance (physical)and timing, tactical awareness etc
delisyomie don
Egg
Egg

Post by delisyomie don »

Tbite wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:17 am I only watched the first half (I am getting older and can't pull all nighters as well as I used to). But one thing I noticed is the technical ability for all players was trash. It was quite interesting to note. These players supposedly played in the Serie A, EPL, La Liga etc. and they had such poor technical ability.

We can discuss tactics, and I said fire the coach, but the funny thing is these guys did the basic technical things, they would have won 3-1. I don't mean change the tactics, I don't mean change the plays, I don't mean change the tempo. Just do the same exact things, but actually execute technically. They would have won 3-1. This was my initial post.

BUT, here is the thing.....What is technical ability?

If Osimhen plays a ball into the box and Ademola is astray and doesn't read the cross, it makes Osimhen look wayward as the deliverer, as if he overhits it, but in reality, Lookman is out of sync.

Also, if a team is limited tactically then they rely on the same plays and FORCE the issue, when the force the issue, their through balls and crosses are essentially spammed and appear to be more inaccurate.

Initially when I started writing this thread I had a different title and it was more about technical ability lacking in the team..but then I realised, is this really the case? We assume that Napoli has perfect technical ability. I watch Napoli more than I watch the SE, and let me tell you this, they make the same mistakes! Lozano does overhit his crosses, Politano does undershoot, even Kvara does play the wrong ball. Marco Rui does mistime the pass. They make all of the same mistakes, yet Pep says they play the best football in Europe alongside Arsenal, hmmmm.

So what is the difference? I think the difference is they have chemistry and tactics. Chemistry means that both players know what is coming. When we talk about technical ability we make it sound like it takes one player to create it, yes strictly speaking. But it takes two players to DEMONSRATE it. You can have all the techical ability in the world, but if your teammate is a moron, you will struggle to demonstrate it. If tbite played with Messi, he could make Messi look bad.

Moreover, if your tactics are too limited, then you are too desperate in your plays. These two situations mean that the same player with the same technical ability can be made to look worse despite nothing changing.

I wanted to write a post about how Nigerian players have been getting by on limited technical ability. But if you look at Osimhen in Napoli, the technical ability is better demonstrated, even Simon who didn't start, his crosses have always looked better in Nantes! Funny how that goes. We can talk about the weather, we can talk about the pitch, but I think we need to talk about team chemistry and the strength of our tactics.
for mean the coach got it wrong a 419 coach does not know our players,he said knows all of them, difficultly all people know Nigeria players but how do you use them,we understand oshimen and lookman are the main strikers, but kelechi or chukweze and iwobi is also attacking midfielder, they can not be in the pitch at the same time,, left ndidi as a main defensive midfielder, if you playing any team, the talk about Africa team you need serious two defensive midfielders to fight the battle in midfield. that will seat in front of 4 back defenders.
thanks
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

JJ v Ronaldinho

that team and tactical cohesion is the direct purview of the coach. We have an absolutely clueless coach. Worst coach i have been in supereagles in my life time
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

amafolas wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:50 am

JJ v Ronaldinho

that team and tactical cohesion is the direct purview of the coach. We have an absolutely clueless coach. Worst coach i have been in supereagles in my life time
When you’re getting the same result under 3 different coaches then it’s obviously not all the coach’s fault. The loss to Guinea B was very similar to the Cape Verde,CAR, Ghana and Tunisia losses. Remember, the reason teams lose is because they don’t score as many goals as the opponent.
OCCUPY NFF!!
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Robotnik wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:09 pm Thread is beginning to address the issues.

The players are plugged into structured team systems in Europe that's why they look good. Bring them all together and you see something different.

You need players that understand the position they play to make the team. As long as you continue to invite these set of players you will get the same results and frustrations.
I always say if you can't 'trap' ball you have no business in the team.

Trap in this case refers to overall ball control and close first touch. Precision of passes and crossing.

Technical ability includes the above, dribbles and decision making, running into space, knowing when to run into spaces/spacial awareness, knowing when to be direct, anticipation both defensively and offensively, balance (physical)and timing, tactical awareness etc

Very well said. And I will use a sociopolitical example because it is apt...

People always wonder why most Nigerians seem to be better behaved when they go to developed countries. Same individuals exhibiting markedly different behaviors in 2 different countries. Why? Because structure, laws, accountability, and law enforcement. One country has it and people comply and are disciplined and well-behaved. The other country is a free-for-all and people are unruly and ill-behaved. Same people, sa,e players, different structures.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!