Intensity

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

donadoni
Egg
Egg
Intensity

Post by donadoni »

During the half time break of the Naija match they were showing highlights of other games with the likes of Zambia, Uganda etc. The teams played fast with intensity

When you watch our u20 teams etc they play fast with intensity

When you watch EPL (where a lot of our players play) the games are played with intensity

To succeed at modern football you need the whole team playing with intensity at once - to win second balls, to execute a high press, to unbalance a defense and so on

When I watch the SE (and this has been the case for years now - not coach specific) I don’t see that unified level of intensity. Osimhen displays it. Lately iwobi has brought it. But the rest no show. That’s why you see Oshimen waving others to step up so they can press as a unit and make things happen

What is the issue here? Weather too hot? Scared of injuries? No passion for the SE? No breakfast in the morning before the game? A beg someone explain because this issue has been present for a long time regardless of coach, player selection, tactics or anything else and it’s the reason we keep losing out with the feeling that we didn’t even try that hard
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Intensity

Post by vancity eagle »

Tbh I dont think intensity was our problem yesterday, though it has been in the past.

We controlled the match.

We weren't outplayed, we weren't even outhustled.

As much as many hate to admit, we were UNLUCKY yesterday. Yes I said it

Also tactically we were not set up optimally. Formation or player wise. But on another day we would have won that match easily and we won't be having mental break downs.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:09 pm Tbh I dont think intensity was our problem yesterday, though it has been in the past.

We controlled the match.

Also tactically we were not set up optimally. Formation or player wise. But on another day we would have won that match easily and we won't be having mental break downs.
True, but despite this they still had arguably the better chances in the game and coverted one of them. Tactically they were better because they identified our weakness and were just killing us with one route football.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

gochino wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:34 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:09 pm Tbh I dont think intensity was our problem yesterday, though it has been in the past.

We controlled the match.

True, but despite this they still had arguably the better chances in the game and coverted one of them. Tactically they were better because they identified our weakness and were just killing us with one route football.
I checked the stats.

We had 70% possession

We had more than twice the amount of passes as them.

We had 17 shots to their 7 although both teams only had 3 shots on goal.

We missed one big chance.

They had 2 big chances, one they scored.

Our defence went to sleep at 2 key moments, partly because we were playing total attacking football. Other than that they weren't troubled.

As for our offense we played well the first 15 minutes and should have scored. Once we went down we lost our swagger. Things were not helped by Nacho who cannot play the role he was assigned, and he has NEVER been able to despite scoring the odd goal here and there. It got even worse once Nacho was swapped for Onuachu and it seemed we kept trying ro hit him with crosses, but he just kept getting in Oimehns way.

The game honestly seems much worse than it actually was, but Peseiros decisions show how utterly clueless he is. Despite this we could and should have won yesterday. I won't give up yet but if Peseiro keeps making the same elementary mistakes, he gots to go.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:46 pm

We controlled the match.

I checked the stats.

We had 70% possession

Our defence went to sleep at 2 key moments, partly because we were playing total attacking football. Other than that they weren't troubled.

As for our offense we played well the first 15 minutes and should have scored. Once we went down we lost our swagger. Things were not helped by Nacho who cannot play the role he was assigned, and he has NEVER been able to despite scoring the odd goal here and there. It got even worse once Nacho was swapped for Onuachu and it seemed we kept trying ro hit him with crosses, but he just kept getting in Oimehns way.

The game honestly seems much worse than it actually was, but Peseiros decisions show how utterly clueless he is. Despite this we could and should have won yesterday. I won't give up yet but if Peseiro keeps making the same elementary mistakes, he gots to go.
We controlled the game and played very good football, infact, I would say this is one of the better games they have played under Passiero but tactically, Guinea Bissau was the better team because they were more effective.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Not even. This is a game we dominated a large part of, one sloppy goal and our coach hit the panic button at HT which did far more damage to us than any GB tactic
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

I refused to watch the match. You all might be right with your reasons but it seems like me make excuses each time they lose. At this point I want wins no matter how they come. We used to never lose at home and all of a sudden team are coming in and leaving with 3pts or a point.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:46 pm

We controlled the match.

I checked the stats.

We had 70% possession

Vancity

The points you made above do not necessarily signify intensity. Dominating possession is not intensity. Intensity will be the pace in which that domination takes place. That is what intensity is about.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

We had lots of meaningful possession in the opponents half.

Intensity WAS NOT the problem the other day.

I've seen matches where we lack intensity and you don't end up with 70% possession in those matches.

You are just aiming hopelessly in the dark.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Vancity

We have to face reality. This team has been piss poor for about 2-3 years now!! Two monumental losses at home to decidedly lower ranked opponents serve as enough warnings, do they not?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:03 amVancity

The points you made above do not necessarily signify intensity. Dominating possession is not intensity. Intensity will be the pace in which that domination takes place. That is what intensity is about.

Exactly this. We dominated possession, sure. But there was a clear lack of intensity and this particularly matters in the last third, and especially against opponents who know they have to defend deep to have any chance.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

theDunamis wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:17 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:03 amVancity

Exactly this. We dominated possession, sure. But there was a clear lack of intensity and this particularly matters in the last third, and especially against opponents who know they have to defend deep to have any chance.
It was not "lack of intensity" in the final third, it was lack of coordination and composure in the final third.

Those are 2 VERY DIFFERENT THINGS.

It is important to distinguish because the solution to either problem is very different.

The "lack of intensity" argument is a way of saying we need "committed players" which is just code for homebased players or players who do not merit being called up.

Already the fool in charge of the NFF has started making these insinuations.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

To put it another way, Osimehns intensity is unmatched.

How many goals has that intensity produced ?

Has his intensity been able to keep him ONSIDE ?

Has his intensity helped him to score one on one's he should be putting away ?

Did his intensity not make him raise his hands in frustration and turn away from a ball that landed right before him ?

Intensity is not the problem.

And "more dedicated players" AKA players the NFF will force on SE will not solve a damn thing.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:28 pm To put it another way, Osimehns intensity is unmatched.

How many goals has that intensity produced ?

Has his intensity been able to keep him ONSIDE ?

Has his intensity helped him to score one on one's he should be putting away ?

Did his intensity not make him raise his hands in frustration and turn away from a ball that landed right before him ?

Intensity is not the problem.

And "more dedicated players" AKA players the NFF will force on SE will not solve a damn thing.

Dude, one player's intensity cannot make up for the lack of intensity by 9 others. If Osimhen has all the intensity in the world and makes all the runs he should but his team is not up their with him, how and what are you expecting to happen in a team game????
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:24 pmIt was not "lack of intensity" in the final third, it was lack of coordination and composure in the final third.

Those are 2 VERY DIFFERENT THINGS.

It is important to distinguish because the solution to either problem is very different.

The "lack of intensity" argument is a way of saying we need "committed players" which is just code for homebased players or players who do not merit being called up.

Already the fool in charge of the NFF has started making these insinuations.

It was a lack of intensity all across the field that was exposed more in the final third.

Lack of coordination and composure and lack of intensity are not mutually exclusive. And no, lack of intensity is not a way of saying we need "committed players". That is YOUR interpretation, and it is WRONG as sin!!!!!