Local Coaches who deserve the SE coaching job

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Local Coaches who deserve the SE coaching job

Post by Damunk »

YUJAM wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:37 pm Going by your logic, would Keshi have been hired at Togo? He had barely anything on his resume before going to coaching Togo?

Damunk wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:30 pm
YUJAM wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:41 pm Maybe a better question is what the FCs have done to deserve the SE coaching job?

Besides, often times people get hired based on potential. I'd say guys like Finidi and Ammunike have shown that potential. Remember that Belmadi, Cisse and even Stephen Keshi were hired not based on what they won but the potential they had.
Which Nigerian coach today can boast of a CV anywhere close to Keshi's CV before he got the Super Eagles job?

Its like you guys are in denial of the dearth of quality Nigerian coaches.
Mark my words; Nigerians would KILL any Nigerian coach that starts off with Peseiro's current record.
You think Amodu, Siasia and Keshi had it bad?
Unfortunately, Togo and Nigeria are in slightly different leagues.
I’m sure Sao Tome would jump at the opportunity to hire Eguavon or Salisu.

Nigeria doesn’t have the composure of Senegal, sadly.
Cisse would have been gone within 18 months.

We quickly forget that before Rohr, we had 20 coaches in 20 years - probably a world record.
That didn’t happen by accident.

So it’s either we are terrible at hiring coaches, or we are a very fickle people that jump at every ripple.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Which tournaments did Peseiro qualify a NT?

The guy has virtually done nothing of note in his career.

What did Gernot Rohr do in his career except post atrocious records with African NTs of which is highlight was 13% winning record with Niger?

If African FAs had an iota of respect for themselves, the resume of most of this journeymen wouldn't make it past the screening stage
vancity eagle wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:49 pm
YUJAM wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:41 pm Maybe a better question is what the FCs have done to deserve the SE coaching job?
They qualify for tournaments.

Unlike local coaches.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:22 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:24 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:03 pm
azuka wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:37 pm I am opening this thread to throw this challenge to all. Let's have here a list of local coaches who deserve the job. And please when you name a coach, do list his achievements in any of the the African competition in the last 5 years. At least let's set a standard.
Let's talk current not history. Enough of this "our local coaches are good enough" without the butter to butter the bread. I am here to learn and update my knowledge of our local coaches.
Already, there is a discriminatory condition set in this post. How many local coaches have had the benefit of coaching in African competitions and why aren’t foreign coaches, who get the job more often than not, subjected to the same standards? What did Rohr or Peseiro achieve in coaching before they were appointed to the job❓❗️

Cheers.
Chief, we are not asking for national team records. Nigerian coaches don't travel that far.
We are simply asking for club achievements, or CHAN or WAFU.
Or maybe even U20, U17 if we have to scape the barrel.

The Algerian coach had never been in charge of a national team before.
He coached Qatar's NT before getting the Algeria gig
Sorry, I was referring to the Moroccan manager, Regragui, not Belmadi.
My bad.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

shocking how people are defending pasero ..kai yall should go and see his stats
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

YUJAM wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:00 pm Which tournaments did Peseiro qualify a NT?

What did Gernot Rohr do in his career except post atrocious records with African NTs of which is highlight was 13% winning record with Niger?

If African FAs had an iota of respect for themselves, the resume of most of this journeymen wouldn't make it past the screening stage

Unlike local coaches.
Our last 3 local coaches FAILED to qualify for their tournaments.

They are poor.

Why do you wish us failure ?
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

I'm not a fan of how this thread is framed. With all due respect. Instead of..."Local coaches who deserve coaching SE job". Should we not start with defining...the qualifications and requirements for an ideal Coach and then ask who ...based on the qualifications and requirements defined, meets /exceeds the job description and/or requirements.

- A problem well defined, is half solved.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:43 pm
YUJAM wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:00 pm Which tournaments did Peseiro qualify a NT?

Unlike local coaches.
Our last 3 local coaches FAILED to qualify for their tournaments.

They are poor.

Why do you wish us failure ?
You hated Amodu despite qualifying us for the World Cup Twice. Your hatred for anything local is personal to you. Clearly, you've been a victim of injustice in Nigeria. Thus, you projected your fears and previous experiences on every local coach we've had.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

icee wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:29 am I'm not a fan of how this thread is framed. With all due respect. Instead of..."Local coaches who deserve coaching SE job". Should we not start with defining...the qualifications and requirements for an ideal Coach and then ask who ...based on the qualifications and requirements defined, meets /exceeds the job description and/or requirements.

- A problem well defined, is half solved.
Good idea but if you do that, you will put the final nail in the coffin of local coaches.
We know what is required for the SE, we just can’t afford them.
So we pretend we have “suitable” local candidates that are “up to the task”.

Why does all this remind me of JAMB, university exams and even ‘Emi lo kan’ politics? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

First let me make my position clear. I am all for any coach with the necessary pedigree to make my beloved SE a world beater, irrespective of nationality. You know why? Success or failure has not color or nationality.

That said, this post was opened because of the clamour for a local coach. So the idea here is for us to list all the probable local coaches with noted achievements of recent who deserve the job. It is not enough to say "give the job to local coach" without telling who among the local coaches deserve the job based on merits. So using performance in African competition as a yard stick to measure i think is fair enough. Fingers are being pointed at the Moroccan coach as a basis yet we forgot that he won an African competition beating the defending champion in the process. We also seem to forget that before Amodu was appointed the SE Coach, he won the African Cup Winners Cup with BCC Lions. Can we they say we were surprised by his performance as the coach which i rate high? On Keshi he was before becoming the coach not only has the UEFA license as well as being an assistant to Amodu.

That said, i seriously believe we have local coaches capable of coaching the SE somewhere on the face on the earth. There's one Egbo or so who won the league in one of those Eastern European countries and took his team to play in the UEFA Champions League. Did I hear you say EXPOSURE? Why not invite and see what he can offer the SE.

Lastly let me join the chorus of those saying enough of these journeyman coaches being appointed to coach the SE. If we must appoint a coach we must appoint one with pedigree. With a tract record of achievement. If a local coach based in Nigeria, winning a continental competition should be the yardstick. And if a foreign coach his resume must include some noticeable achievements. I say this because in all honestly we can not afford the type of foreign coach we are all clamouring for. Can we afford a Ancelotti? Your answer is as good as mine.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

azuka wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:21 pm First let me make my position clear. I am all for any coach with the necessary pedigree to make my beloved SE a world beater, irrespective of nationality. You know why? Success or failure has not color or nationality.

That said, this post was opened because of the clamour for a local coach. So the idea here is for us to list all the probable local coaches with noted achievements of recent who deserve the job. It is not enough to say "give the job to local coach" without telling who among the local coaches deserve the job based on merits. So using performance in African competition as a yard stick to measure i think is fair enough. Fingers are being pointed at the Moroccan coach as a basis yet we forgot that he won an African competition beating the defending champion in the process. We also seem to forget that before Amodu was appointed the SE Coach, he won the African Cup Winners Cup with BCC Lions. Can we they say we were surprised by his performance as the coach which i rate high? On Keshi he was before becoming the coach not only has the UEFA license as well as being an assistant to Amodu.

That said, i seriously believe we have local coaches capable of coaching the SE somewhere on the face on the earth. There's one Egbo or so who won the league in one of those Eastern European countries and took his team to play in the UEFA Champions League. Did I hear you say EXPOSURE? Why not invite and see what he can offer the SE.

Lastly let me join the chorus of those saying enough of these journeyman coaches being appointed to coach the SE. If we must appoint a coach we must appoint one with pedigree. With a tract record of achievement. If a local coach based in Nigeria, winning a continental competition should be the yardstick. And if a foreign coach his resume must include some noticeable achievements. I say this because in all honestly we can not afford the type of foreign coach we are all clamouring for. Can we afford a Ancelotti? Your answer is as good as mine.
Azuka

Obviously, you have not followed this issue. How many times will people ask for list of local coaches ? ... ad infinitum time and time after time, a long list had been previously provided. Simply scroll back. This topic did not start today. It is absurd to keep providing a list when you can simply scroll back and check previous discussions on this same topic. Fact is that there are several (not one) that fits the bill. Ofcourtse, I understand that because people consume only European football, they are at loss to realize that there are players as well as managers capable at the local level. There football is still football and do not need global media to certify it.

However, in my view, it is not just about appointing a local coach but the fact that if we are appointing the likes of Gernot Rohr, Jose Peseiro then there are numerous local coaches that fit the bill. However, if we claim we want the likes of Mourinho, Pep Guardiola or Pitso Mosimane then I do not believe we have a local coach that fits the bill.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
trae_z
Egg
Egg

Post by trae_z »

The only issue with our local Coaches, is because they're not paid on time and as much as a foreign coach would be, they become prone to correuption. Hence invites stop being on merit, as they are trying to secure the bag through kickbacks.

Keshi's tenure after the World Cup, leading to our failing to qualify for 2016 nations cup was full of fresh Hey Yous at every game and unmerited call ups.

A foreign Coach has no tribal loyalty or income fears. He would just pick teh best and get straight to business.