'Just a pitch with grass' - Iwobi urges NFF to provide infrastructure to match Super

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
'Just a pitch with grass' - Iwobi urges NFF to provide infrastructure to match Super

Post by iworo »

Alex Iwobi has urged the Nigeria Football Federation to provide infrastructure to match the ability of the Super Eagles players, most of whom play for top European clubs.

Five days ago, Nigeria were shocked 1-0 at home by 118th ranked Guinea-Bissau in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier staged at the National Stadium in Abuja, with many fans and pundits suggesting that the playing surface contributed to the loss.

Iwobi and manager Jose Peseiro diplomatically refused to comment on the state of the pitch during the post-match press conference in Abuja , so as not to incur the wrath of the Nigerian Federation and Sports Ministry.

However, the Portuguese football tactician threw caution to the wind on Monday evening when he admitted that the Super Eagles played on a better pitch in Bissau compared to the Moshood Abiola National Stadium.

Before his trip to Africa for the internationals this month, Iwobi had an interview with The Beautiful Game Podcast, where he revealed some of the challenges being faced by the Super Eagles players.

"I'm not going to say something that gets me into trouble. For example we don't even know if we are going to have a nice pitch when we play," Iwobi stressed.

"Obviously we've got a new coach now and we played Sierra Leone in a difficult game and we just about beat them 2-1, then we played São Tomé and Príncipe and beat them 10-0, but we played on a great pitch.

"A lot of us play in Europe now so we play in great pitches where it's easy to just manipulate the ball, let the ball do the work, play freely.

"If we had that in Nigeria, I feel like it would be difficult to beat us. I am confident enough to say that not many teams can beat us.

"Having a good pitch, if we have that, I feel like we'd be unstoppable. Just a pitch with grass, no crops". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iwobi is the only outfield player to have gone the distance in all the matches played by the national team since the appointment of Jose Peseiro as coach.

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_n ... ?nid=46883
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 'Just a pitch with grass' - Iwobi urges NFF to provide infrastructure to match Super

Post by vancity eagle »

Those with agenda continue to pretend the pitch is not THE MAIN REASON for our continued poor performance at home.

We just saw a 10-0 victory played on proper pitch, but the enemies of progress want to pretend that never happened.

Get them a damn pitch for focks sake. Useless NFF.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: 'Just a pitch with grass' - Iwobi urges NFF to provide infrastructure to match Super

Post by Damunk »

iworo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:24 pm 'Just a pitch with grass' - Iwobi urges NFF to provide infrastructure to match Super

Alex Iwobi has urged the Nigeria Football Federation to provide infrastructure to match the ability of the Super Eagles players, most of whom play for top European clubs.

Five days ago, Nigeria were shocked 1-0 at home by 118th ranked Guinea-Bissau in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier staged at the National Stadium in Abuja, with many fans and pundits suggesting that the playing surface contributed to the loss.

Iwobi and manager Jose Peseiro diplomatically refused to comment on the state of the pitch during the post-match press conference in Abuja , so as not to incur the wrath of the Nigerian Federation and Sports Ministry.

However, the Portuguese football tactician threw caution to the wind on Monday evening when he admitted that the Super Eagles played on a better pitch in Bissau compared to the Moshood Abiola National Stadium.

Before his trip to Africa for the internationals this month, Iwobi had an interview with The Beautiful Game Podcast, where he revealed some of the challenges being faced by the Super Eagles players.

"I'm not going to say something that gets me into trouble. For example we don't even know if we are going to have a nice pitch when we play," Iwobi stressed.

"Obviously we've got a new coach now and we played Sierra Leone in a difficult game and we just about beat them 2-1, then we played São Tomé and Príncipe and beat them 10-0, but we played on a great pitch.

"A lot of us play in Europe now so we play in great pitches where it's easy to just manipulate the ball, let the ball do the work, play freely.

"If we had that in Nigeria, I feel like it would be difficult to beat us. I am confident enough to say that not many teams can beat us.

"Having a good pitch, if we have that, I feel like we'd be unstoppable. Just a pitch with grass, no crops". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iwobi is the only outfield player to have gone the distance in all the matches played by the national team since the appointment of Jose Peseiro as coach.

He has earned his stripes and should not be afraid to tell the truth.
Well done Iwobi.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:31 pm Those with agenda continue to pretend the pitch is not THE MAIN REASON for our continued poor performance at home.

We just saw a 10-0 victory played on proper pitch, but the enemies of progress want to pretend that never happened.

Uyo seems the best pitch we have, we were doing good there, not sure why we don’t use it.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

From Min 52. - confirmed the poor cassava pitches
Showboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Showboy »

maceo4 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:36 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:31 pm Those with agenda continue to pretend the pitch is not THE MAIN REASON for our continued poor performance at home.

Uyo seems the best pitch we have, we were doing good there, not sure why we don’t use it.
As is usually the case - it will probably have to do with someone not dropping enough dough to make it worthwhile :oops:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope" (Martin Luther King, Jr)
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

At the long run, good pitches will benefit the SE. When i saw Sudan vs Gabon

i wept how bad ours are all over the country. Even the Tanzanian pitch is better than that of Abuja. 2023 and we are still having issues with good pitches
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

iworo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:24 pm 'Just a pitch with grass' - Iwobi urges NFF to provide infrastructure to match Super

i have been dealing with weeds, on my lawn, however this has helped . the NFF should just go to Lowes /homedepot and purchase scotts turf feed
SuperEagles

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Common Sudan get better pitch. What a national disgrace.

Why hasn't CAF banned those our stadiums ? Make we adopt Morocco for our home pitch. Imbeciles !!!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

The pitch is an issue but not a major issue. We have lost to lesser teams in past AFCON qualifiers and matches on great pitches. If the pitch was the main problem then we should have beaten GB silly on their much better pitch but we didn’t. Our players need to bring the same professionalism and commitment that they display for their clubs to national team games always❗️

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:22 pm

The pitch is an issue but not a major issue. We have lost to lesser teams in past AFCON qualifiers and matches on great pitches. If the pitch was the main problem then we should have beaten GB silly on their much better pitch but we didn’t. Our players need to bring the same professionalism and commitment that they display for their clubs to national team games always❗️

Cheers.
Yes, its not the only issue but it is a major issue for the players.
Iwobi was just being very diplomatic.
I don't know what job you do for a living but I am sure you know that many top professionals in all areas of endeavour expect to be provided certain 'basics' in order to perform their magic.
Balogun said his own. Iwobi is saying his.
By the time Osimhen starts talking, maybe they will take things seriously.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Damunk wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:41 pm

Cheers.
I don't know what job you do for a living but I am sure you know that many top professionals in all areas of endeavour expect to be provided certain 'basics' in order to perform their magic.
I’ve heard and rejected this argument many times previously. It’s one thing to desire a perfect pitch to play on and quite another to use it as an excuse for failure. Like I pointed out in a prior post, our opponents also have to adjust to bad pitches because the majority of their players play overseas professionally on good pitches. If bad pitches affect our players then obviously, it is no different for the opposition. So, bad pitches are not a legitimate excuse for the occasional abysmal performances of our players, especially on home turf. There’s a lot more to it than just bad pitches❗️

Cheers.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

BUT how timid are these players; coming out and emphatically articulating a direct appeal for a standard pitch isn't reserved for anyone but the players. They are the ones who experience the differences and direct impact of poor pitch hence they are the ones to effectively get the authorities to get off their stinking arrssesses. . This is why leadership has been absent in this team. its baffling that these players are timid to this extent of even caring if they offend anyone because they speak on something so obvious.
Last edited by jette1 on Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

The other matches they were collecting beatings as if it was on sale na backyard dem play the match?

He should use Rivers United or Bendel Insurance to play the home games.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Cellular wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:01 pm

The other matches they were collecting beatings as if it was on sale na backyard dem play the match?

He should use Rivers United or Bendel Insurance to play the home games.
Insurance is miles ahead of Rivers. They are not good enough, Rivers choped 7 goals way in CAF
SuperEagles

Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:57 pm

Cheers.
I’ve heard and rejected this argument many times previously. It’s one thing to desire a perfect pitch to play on and quite another to use it as an excuse for failure. Like I pointed out in a prior post, our opponents also have to adjust to bad pitches because the majority of their players play overseas professionally on good pitches. If bad pitches affect our players then obviously, it is no different for the opposition. So, bad pitches are not a legitimate excuse for the occasional abysmal performances of our players, especially on home turf. There’s a lot more to it than just bad pitches❗️

Cheers.
TTK,

Saying the other teams play on the same pitch is not a valid response to this complaint.

A bad pitch does a lot to even the playing field. It reduces the technical advantage of one team over the other. If you take Spain to a sandy pitch in anywhere, Nigeria, to play against a local side they will struggle because of the "elements".

When you have a bad field it's very difficult to do basic passing movements, its hard to control the ball and can be tough to create and execute 1v1 situations. You can try to eliminate by going long but when you are the "superior" team or in the case of the game against Ghana, the team chasing the game, going long is playing into your opponents hands especially if they are sitting deep. These are the little details that separate the best from the rest. With the amount of technical players we have, we need to put them in the best conditions to succeed. You compare the SE with Bosso's U20 who, most players have not had the luxury of playing on lush green pitches in their early careers and you can see how they embodied the nonsense of jambody football.

The little things matter the most sometimes.

Bissau played on the same pitch but barely had any passing combinations. Their goal was a ball over the top against our high line.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Ugbowo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:19 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.
TTK,

Saying the other teams play on the same pitch is not a valid response to this complaint.

A bad pitch does a lot to even the playing field. It reduces the technical advantage of one team over the other. If you take Spain to a sandy pitch in anywhere, Nigeria, to play against a local side they will struggle because of the "elements".

When you have a bad field it's very difficult to do basic passing movements, its hard to control the ball and can be tough to create and execute 1v1 situations. You can try to eliminate by going long but when you are the "superior" team or in the case of the game against Ghana, the team chasing the game, going long is playing into your opponents hands especially if they are sitting deep. These are the little details that separate the best from the rest. With the amount of technical players we have, we need to put them in the best conditions to succeed. You compare the SE with Bosso's U20 who, most players have not had the luxury of playing on lush green pitches in their early careers and you can see how they embodied the nonsense of jambody football.

The little things matter the most sometimes.

Bissau played on the same pitch but barely had any passing combinations. Their goal was a ball over the top against our high line.
OK, maybe the next time we play one of the so-called minnows at home, our overseas players shouldn’t bother to show up because we already know they’re not going to play well due to the bad pitch, right❓❗️

Cheers.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Na wa oh. Should this even be controversial? Fix the gaddem pitch abeg!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Cheers.

Cheers.
Bad pitches affect THE BETTER TEAM far more than an African minnow who sits back to defend.

You do understand the pitch effects passing games more than teams who defend and counter attack.

I can't believe one must actually explain this in 2023. Are you from the stone ages ?
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

And what happened when we played Portugal on a good pitch?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I will keep reminding the CLOWNS an ENEMIES OF PROGRESS.

What happened when we played on a proper pitch in Morocco.

10-0

Imagine a clowns response is to use homebased players rather than TO FIX THE GADDEM PITCHES.

Keep wishing the worst for SE. You are not real fans.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:51 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.
Bad pitches affect THE BETTER TEAM far more than an African minnow who sits back to defend.

You do understand the pitch effects passing games more than teams who defend and counter attack.

I can't believe one must actually explain this in 2023. Are you from the stone ages ?
VE, if you were to be honest with yourself, you would admit that the passing game wasn’t our problem in either one of the matches against GB. For crying out loud, we dominated possession almost completely in both matches. Our problem was in the final third, with our lethargic finishing… and you can’t blame that on the pitch❗️

Cheers.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Lolly wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:54 pm

And what happened when we played Portugal on a good pitch?
They were better than us on the day. No excuses.

But if Portugal had played us at Kwara Township stadium, does the game end 4-0? :taunt: :taunt: