The BELL Tolls for Peseiro....Is it Too Late to Save his job?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
The BELL Tolls for Peseiro....Is it Too Late to Save his job?

Post by Enugu II »

My opinion and introspection in blue..
Nigeria can breathe a bit after AFCON qualifier win, but Victor Osimhen needs help up front
play

28 Mar, 2023
Colin Udoh
https://africa.espn.com/football/africa ... p-up-front

Nigeria's players were a subdued bunch in the wake of their 1-0 win over Guinea Bissau in Africa Cup of Nations qualifying on Monday night, but they could breathe a sigh of relief.

Bissau had recorded a shock win over the Super Eagles in the first fixture last Friday, so the Nigerians needed a win to stay on track, but it was hardly convincing and Victor Osimhen looked like the only in-form player on the pitch.

Redemption came with Moses Simon tucking away a penalty on the half hour mark -- about the same time Mama Balde scored for Guinea Bissau three days earlier.

The win returned the Super Eagles to the top of the table and left them one win away from punching their ticket to the tournament in the Ivory Coast, but it also left questions aplenty about the state of the team under Jose Peseiro.

Five changes, very little difference

The Portuguese coach, obviously displeased by some of the performances on Friday, made five changes to the starting line up, including a brand new central defensive pairing forced by injury to Kevin Akpoguma.[In my view, Akpoguma's injury is a convenient excuse. He would have been benched as well if fit. Peseiro has sought to establish a new central midfield replacing the "Oyibo Wall" but it has not yet panned out and it was furthered exposed in Abuja. The pairing in the last game was a consequence]

Wilfred Ndidi and Kelechi Iheanacho also made way as did Ademola Lookman. In came Kenneth Omeruo and Semi Ajayi at centreback, Frank Onyeka in midfield, Terrell Moffi up front and Moses Simon out wide.If you think Peseiro believed the field was the sole cause of the Abuja loss, you get your answer here . If you don't, sorry, you will never get it. Clearly, Peseiro is not impressed. Yet, he must bear the brunt.

Just like in the first game, the Super Eagles dominated possession as the opposition looked to catch the Nigerians on the counter.

Again, as in the first game, the Nigerians created a plethora of opportunities but it took Bright Osayi-Samuel being positive, driving into the box and getting scythed down to win a penalty that Simon put away with ease.

The good news is that despite the personnel overhaul, the team played the same as they have for the past year. The bad news is that despite the personnel overhaul, the team played the same as they have the past year.Which is not good enough, except for a cameo performance at the AFCON but they reverted to the lazy approach in the WCQ

Moses Simon scored from the spot in the first half to give Nigeria a 1-0 win over Guinea Bissau in AFCON 2023 qualifying. Joao Rico/DeFodi Images via Getty Images
Osimhen's not the only guy on the park...

Wayward shooting was a problem, though bad luck played it's part too with Osimhen hitting the woodwork on one occasion, and squeezing a shot just wide on another. Some fine goalkeeping by Jonas Mendes didn't help.You wondered the shooting practice the likes of Chukwueze gets at his club. It is certainly atrocious!

But wayward shooting and ill fortune aside, what the frontline really needs is team work and better decision-making. Terem Moffi had a chance to play Osimhen in for a simple tap in but chose glory, only to shank his shot.

Samuel Chukwueze, across both legs, had numerous opportunities to find Osimhen or other teammates with a simple square ball or pass in the box and preferred to shoot wild, wide or high.[The Manager bears the brunt here. If the players will not play for the team then get them on the bench or get rid of them. Peseiro knows that the clock is icking. He has acted with the five changes but that is still not enough.]

And Moses Simon's crossing, while it has improved, still needs a ton of work. Osayi-Samuel appears to be the only one who understands that goalscoring is a matter of team work.

Peseiro has his work cut out for him, and he knows it: "I think we did a very good game on Friday and today. But not fantastic the finishing.

"We have good players, we have the best scorer right now in Europe. It didn't come the goals in this moment, but if we keep playing this way, this will come.

"Our team was much better today. We created much better opportunities. In this moment, I am happy, with our organization. We showed our quality football, our passing, with control, with two strikers.

"Our mistake was the finishing, but that can happen. It can come in the next match, it can come in the next qualification match if we keep playing offensive."

He will need to figure out how to get the best of his fearsome frontline, that includes Osimhen, Lookman, Moffi, Iheanacho, Onuachu and Simon.

Peseiro's selection criteria need to change

Ahead of the first leg, when Peseiro was asked why he selected players like Ndidi who had seen very limited club minutes this season, his response was that he wanted the 'best' players.

Starting Ndidi and the likes of Zaidu Sanusi showed the folly of that thinking. And the fact that he dropped so many of those players for the second leg proved it even further. Peseiro must learn to select players based on current form, not reputation.

His wards were compromised by the defensive weaknesses left open by the midfield and left back, with Calvin Bassey constantly being forced to cover for Sanusi in the first game.

That helped create the hole that was exploited by Mama Balde for the Friday goal. The Ajayi and Omeruo combo in central defence showed what an in-form team of players can do.

Tactically however, the coach seems to be finding his feet. He is flexible enough to switch up his team formation, and responding to in-game change with new personnel as he showed in making quick decisions at half time of both games.

This should serve him well for the future, especially with his attacking bent. On a good day his team can score 10, like they did against Sao Tome e Principe. They just need to be able to do that against a decent defence.

Nigeria's final two AFCON qualifiers are against Sierre Leone in June, and Sao Tome e Principe in September.
Last edited by Enugu II on Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The BELL Tolls for Peseiro....Is it Too Late to Save his job?

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

The Portuguese coach, obviously displeased by some of the performances on Friday, made five changes to the starting line up

This is the same fire brigade approach, that reeks of NFF interference, which cost us qualification for the 2022 World Cup. Our handlers simply haven’t learned that you can’t fix tactical problems with a wholesale player replacement. You fix tactical problems by making tactical adjustments❗️

Cheers.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:01 pm
The Portuguese coach, obviously displeased by some of the performances on Friday, made five changes to the starting line up

This is the same fire brigade approach, that reeks of NFF interference, which cost us qualification for the 2022 World Cup. Our handlers simply haven’t learned that you can’t fix tactical problems with a wholesale player replacement. You fix tactical problems by making tactical adjustments❗️

Cheers.
Our first game was more of personnel problems than tactical. The two centre backs and our wide midfield players were atrocious. And then the coach made what could be described as a criminal substitution bringing on Onuachu to play alongside Osimhen. No amount of tactical adjustments could fix these issues.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Lolly wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:11 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:01 pm

Cheers.
Our first game was more of personnel problems than tactical. The two centre backs and our wide midfield players were atrocious. And then the coach made what could be described as a criminal substitution bringing on Onuachu to play alongside Osimhen. No amount of tactical adjustments could fix these issues.
I don’t know if I’d agree with that. We experienced the same lapses in the second match that cost us the first match. We just happened to be luckier in the return match. In any case, the coach attempted to fix the problem in the first match with wholesale changes, including, as you said, bringing in Onuachu to play alongside Osimhen❗️

Cheers.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:35 pm My opinion and introspection bracketed in blue..
Nigeria can breathe a bit after AFCON qualifier win, but Victor Osimhen needs help up front
play

28 Mar, 2023
Colin Udoh

Nigeria's players were a subdued bunch in the wake of their 1-0 win over Guinea Bissau in Africa Cup of Nations qualifying on Monday night, but they could breathe a sigh of relief.

Bissau had recorded a shock win over the Super Eagles in the first fixture last Friday, so the Nigerians needed a win to stay on track, but it was hardly convincing and Victor Osimhen looked like the only in-form player on the pitch.

Redemption came with Moses Simon tucking away a penalty on the half hour mark -- about the same time Mama Balde scored for Guinea Bissau three days earlier.

The win returned the Super Eagles to the top of the table and left them one win away from punching their ticket to the tournament in the Ivory Coast, but it also left questions aplenty about the state of the team under Jose Peseiro.

The Portuguese coach, obviously displeased by some of the performances on Friday, made five changes to the starting line up, including a brand new central defensive pairing forced by injury to Kevin Akpoguma.[In my view, Akpoguma's injury is a convenient excuse. He would have been benched as well if fit. Peseiro has sought to establish a new central midfield replacing the "Oyibo Wall" but it has not yet panned out and it was furthered exposed in Abuja. The pairing in the last game was a consequence]

Wilfred Ndidi and Kelechi Iheanacho also made way as did Ademola Lookman. In came Kenneth Omeruo and Semi Ajayi at centreback, Frank Onyeka in midfield, Terrell Moffi up front and Moses Simon out wide.If you think Peseiro believed the field was the sole cause of the Abuja loss, you get your answer here . If you don't, sorry, you will never get it. Clearly, Peseiro is not impressed. Yet, he must bear the brunt.

Just like in the first game, the Super Eagles dominated possession as the opposition looked to catch the Nigerians on the counter.

Again, as in the first game, the Nigerians created a plethora of opportunities but it took Bright Osayi-Samuel being positive, driving into the box and getting scythed down to win a penalty that Simon put away with ease.

The good news is that despite the personnel overhaul, the team played the same as they have for the past year. The bad news is that despite the personnel overhaul, the team played the same as they have the past year.Which is not good enough, except for a cameo performance at the AFCON but they reverted to the lazy approach in the WCQ

Moses Simon scored from the spot in the first half to give Nigeria a 1-0 win over Guinea Bissau in AFCON 2023 qualifying. Joao Rico/DeFodi Images via Getty Images

Wayward shooting was a problem, though bad luck played it's part too with Osimhen hitting the woodwork on one occasion, and squeezing a shot just wide on another. Some fine goalkeeping by Jonas Mendes didn't help.You wondered the shooting practice the likes of Chukwueze gets at his club. It is certainly atrocious!

But wayward shooting and ill fortune aside, what the frontline really needs is team work and better decision-making. Terem Moffi had a chance to play Osimhen in for a simple tap in but chose glory, only to shank his shot.

Samuel Chukwueze, across both legs, had numerous opportunities to find Osimhen or other teammates with a simple square ball or pass in the box and preferred to shoot wild, wide or high.[The Manager bears the brunt here. If the players will not play for the team then get them on the bench or get rid of them. Peseiro knows that the clock is icking. He has acted with the five changes but that is still not enough.]

And Moses Simon's crossing, while it has improved, still needs a ton of work. Osayi-Samuel appears to be the only one who understands that goalscoring is a matter of team work.

Peseiro has his work cut out for him, and he knows it: "I think we did a very good game on Friday and today. But not fantastic the finishing.

"We have good players, we have the best scorer right now in Europe. It didn't come the goals in this moment, but if we keep playing this way, this will come.

"Our team was much better today. We created much better opportunities. In this moment, I am happy, with our organization. We showed our quality football, our passing, with control, with two strikers.

"Our mistake was the finishing, but that can happen. It can come in the next match, it can come in the next qualification match if we keep playing offensive."

He will need to figure out how to get the best of his fearsome frontline, that includes Osimhen, Lookman, Moffi, Iheanacho, Onuachu and Simon.

Ahead of the first leg, when Peseiro was asked why he selected players like Ndidi who had seen very limited club minutes this season, his response was that he wanted the 'best' players.

Starting Ndidi and the likes of Zaidu Sanusi showed the folly of that thinking. And the fact that he dropped so many of those players for the second leg proved it even further. Peseiro must learn to select players based on current form, not reputation.

His wards were compromised by the defensive weaknesses left open by the midfield and left back, with Calvin Bassey constantly being forced to cover for Sanusi in the first game.

That helped create the hole that was exploited by Mama Balde for the Friday goal. The Ajayi and Omeruo combo in central defence showed what an in-form team of players can do.

Tactically however, the coach seems to be finding his feet. He is flexible enough to switch up his team formation, and responding to in-game change with new personnel as he showed in making quick decisions at half time of both games.

This should serve him well for the future, especially with his attacking bent. On a good day his team can score 10, like they did against Sao Tome e Principe. They just need to be able to do that against a decent defence.

Nigeria's final two AFCON qualifiers are against Sierre Leone in June, and Sao Tome e Principe in September.
[/quote

What is Udoh drinking? Ajayi and Omeruo, in-form players? These 2 defenders have hardly seen any action in months! He’s supposed to be one of Nigeria’s best journalists!
I am happy
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

I think Peserio should be given more time. However, if his contract expires in June, as I have read somewhere, the NFF should quickly decide if it wants to keep him, and if not, get his successor quickly.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

To me, it's simple, if he qualifies for AFCON, extend the contract until after AFCON.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Ugbowo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:46 pm To me, it's simple, if he qualifies for AFCON, extend the contract until after AFCON.
I can’t believe what you just wrote. Qualifying as one of two teams from a group of 4 that includes Sao Tome, Guinea Bissau and Sierra Leone should not be a reason to extend his contract. The guy is a poor coach, in fact an extremely poor one. We should just start all over again and go get the right one.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Lolly wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:03 pm
Ugbowo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:46 pm To me, it's simple, if he qualifies for AFCON, extend the contract until after AFCON.
I can’t believe what you just wrote. Qualifying as one of two teams from a group of 4 that includes Sao Tome, Guinea Bissau and Sierra Leone should not be a reason to extend his contract. The guy is a poor coach, in fact an extremely poor one. We should just start all over again and go get the right one.
He might be a poor coach but I’m sure he knows more than you. What is also true is that the Nff, indeed most Nigerian fans are poorer at choosing a coach than Peseiro is at Coaching. Anyway you look at it we won’t have a choice. Peseiro should stay until after Afcon if he qualifies. Any attempt to replace him now will lead to the wrong choice and we’ll probably have to fire whoever replaces him After Afcon anyway.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ugbowo

Qualifying for AFCON these days is not what it used to be and thus for the likes of Nigeria it isn't the baseline for keeping a coach as it used to be.

There ought to be more achieved.

Nevertheless, it has to be clear that we have been in a sustained rot. Mere qualification means diddly. We need more. To be fair, Peseiro understands this clearly but the challenge is that he has not done much to lift us out of the rot.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:44 pm
Ugbowo

Qualifying for AFCON these days is not what it used to be and thus for the likes of Nigeria it isn't the baseline for keeping a coach as it used to be.

Nevertheless, it has to be clear that we have been in a sustained rot. Mere qualification means diddly. We need more. To be fair, Peseiro understands this clearly but the challenge is that he has not done much to lift us out of the rot.
EII,

I think qualifying for AFCON is a darned good first step to lifting us out of the rot❗️

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:53 pm
Ugbowo

EII,

I think qualifying for AFCON is a darned good first step to lifting us out of the rot❗️

Cheers.
TTTK

I think qualifying gives us a false sense of getting out the rot. Remember about half of African teams get to the AFCON. Our aspiration is and should be much higher.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Dammy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:30 pm
Enugu II wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:35 pm My opinion and introspection bracketed in blue..
play

28 Mar, 2023
Colin Udoh

[/quote

What is Udoh drinking? Ajayi and Omeruo, in-form players? These 2 defenders have hardly seen any action in months! He’s supposed to be one of Nigeria’s best journalists!
Plus Zaidu that plays week in week out as out of form for club?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:08 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:53 pm
Ugbowo

EII,

Cheers.
TTTK

I think qualifying gives us a false sense of getting out the rot. Remember about half of African teams get to the AFCON. Our aspiration is and should be much higher.
To aim higher you first have to understand your current position? Where are we right now in relation to African football? Are we in the top tier? Second tier? Or what?
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

But why would Nigeria EVER do the logical thing.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The idea we should fire a coach because of a poor result in QUALIFYING even though he qualifies is pure stupidity.

As I said before, EVERY SINGLE SE COACH, has had poor moments in qualifying.

If he bombs at the afcon then fire him.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:29 am The idea we should fire a coach because of a poor result in QUALIFYING even though he qualifies is pure stupidity.

VE

There is a new NFF administration in town. That group did not hire Peseiro. Moreover, Peseiro has not done anything outstanding. Now tell me what usually happens when those two things confront each other? LOL.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:03 am
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:29 am The idea we should fire a coach because of a poor result in QUALIFYING even though he qualifies is pure stupidity.

VE

There is a new NFF administration in town. That group did not hire Peseiro. Moreover, Peseiro has not done anything outstanding. Now tell me what usually happens when those two things confront each other? LOL.
Ok but firing coaches left and right does nothing but destabilize the team.

Anyways it's nothing new. NFF does not plan for success, we all know that.

They go soon tell us homebased players must be half the team.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:27 am
Enugu II wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:03 am

VE

Ok but firing coaches left and right does nothing but destabilize the team.

Anyways it's nothing new. NFF does not plan for success, we all know that.

They go soon tell us homebased players must be half the team.
VE

I agree with you but you really think the NFF cares? This is about their individual pockets and the current leadership did not hire Peseiro and they realize that hiring exercises lead to cash and that is precisely what the goal will be if Peseiro does not do well. If he does well, then the NFF will find it difficult to dislodge him because of the public. If you recall, even after Keshi won the AFCON, the incoming admin of Amaju Pinnick wanted to get the pot of gold and made moves to remove Keshi i.e. via media sympathizers, and rented protesters. While Keshi survived for a while, they waited for a misstep and found (Through Mr. Greene) an innocuous excuse of Keshi applying for another job. The plug was pulled.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Make una leaf the coach alone-ooo, I beg una. E neva tey wey de man com, and now, una want make dem fire him. Na wa-oo!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

A bad coach is a bad coach, extending the inevitable is just a sorry excuse for keeping this junk of a coach. He should be fired immediately, the stats are there to prove how mediocre he is.
Peter Obi For President 2023
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

Babalawo wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:08 pm

A bad coach is a bad coach, extending the inevitable is just a sorry excuse for keeping this junk of a coach. He should be fired immediately, the stats are there to prove how mediocre he is.
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »