Fifa: Indonesia stripped of right to host Under-20 World Cup

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

By Yara El-Shaboury
BBC Sport

Indonesian President Joko Widodo (right) said on Tuesday that his administration was trying to save the tournament, and that people should not mix “political affairs and sports affairs”

Fifa has stripped Indonesia of hosting rights for the Under-20 World Cup.

The decision follows the cancellation of the official draw for the tournament, which was due to be held in Bali last Friday.

The Football Association of Indonesia (PSSI) said Fifa was forced to cancel the draw after Bali's governor Wayan Koster refused to host the Israeli team.

The U20 World Cup is set to take place from 20 May to 11 June.

Indonesia does not have any formal diplomatic ties with Israel and recently protesters have held marches demanding Israel be stopped from competing in the tournament, in support of Palestine.

Indonesia were awarded hosting rights in 2019, before Israel qualified for the tournament. England's U20 team is also set to compete.

"Fifa has decided, due to the current circumstances, to remove Indonesia as the host of the Fifa U20 World Cup 2023," a Fifa statement said.

"A new host will be announced as soon as possible, with the dates of the tournament currently remaining unchanged. Potential sanctions against the PSSI may also be decided at a later stage."

Half an hour before Fifa's announcement, PSSI executive committee member Arya Sinulingga said he was "very pessimistic" about Indonesia keeping the hosting rights.

"If we make political requirements in sports, it'll always be like this. We will be exiled from the football ecosystem.

"It's very tough for all of us. We're headed into a calamity in sports. We have to separate football or sports and politics."

'Fifa needs an alternative pretty quickly' - analysis

BBC Sport's Simon Stone

Fifa insists Indonesia was not ready to host the tournament and are threatening to take action. However, there was a growing feeling it had to be moved anyway given the tensions around Israel's qualification.

Criticism of Israel in the country and its policy towards Palestine has been growing after Bali's governor said he did not want them to play in his region and Friday's planned group stage draw was cancelled.

Fifa knew any decision to strip Indonesia of hosting rights would be hugely controversial but it was also aware it had to do everything to protect Israel's players against potential security threats.

With the 24-team tournament due to begin on 20 May - with Indonesia now no longer competing - Fifa needs to come up with an alternative pretty quickly.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65113802
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Fifa: Indonesia stripped of right to host Under-20 World Cup

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Western hypocrisy. If Indonesia had refused to host a country like Russia, for example, would they have been stripped of the hosting rights❓❗️

Cheers.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Abeg, the same Fifa no sanction Russia?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Move it to Morocco.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:24 pm Move it to Morocco.
The Israeli angle makes it difficult for any Arab or Muslim country to host the tournament.
I am happy
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

I thought Arab countries were starting to renew ties with Israel to some extent
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Move it to Europe. I want to attend another FIFA Youth tournament.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."