Osimhen is now a sure contender for APOY

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Osimhen is now a sure contender for APOY

Post by Enugu II »

theDunamis wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:24 am
Enugu II wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:03 pmHakimi does have a strong case. Importantly, he has done that in the colors of an African team. Of course, one has a soft spot for Osimhen and he has a chance given the way this AFOY had been awarded in the past. ...But IMHO, this ASFOY should be given to achievement made in the shirt of an African team.

What sort of warped logic is this?!?? Does a player stop being African when he wears a club jersey? That makes no sense at all. The African Player of the Year could not be more explicit on what the award is about.

If you want to set up another award titled The African Player of the Period Where He is Wearing the Shirt of an African Team, please go for it. But the APOY is not that award.
In fact, what you put up is more warped, tbh. Ask the South Americans? Ahh! Messi in his top days should have been crowned annually by them. By your logic, not so? Think about this, You promote your competition first and foremost. Never mind!! I do understand that there are some who think CAF should focus on promoting UEFA competitions before competitions organized by CAF. Not so?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Enugu II wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:20 am
danfo driver wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:13 pm When it was George Weah and Yaya Toure, Nigerians were twerking. But now its a Nigerian, Nigerians are telling us that we should look at the Jersey the player wore for 3 weeks. Damnnn! I wont lie, I love this country, but I despise its people. Tufiakwa!
Danfo

I don't know about what Nigerians have been stating on those cases but I have and will always believe that the African footballer of the year should be based on what you do when putting on the shirt of an African team. Napoli is not an African team. Morocco is. This is precisely the problem when Aubemeyang was crowned AFOY and last year a player who did not play a second for an African club or country was named by CAF on the best XI of the tear. That is just not it. I am not going to rubbish that basic principle because a Nigerian is involved in this case.
Uncle, you know I respect you opinion and position. However, I disagree with you strongly. The award is provided to the best performing African over the year and not the best performing African when you are playing for your national team.

Anyway, no wahala
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Enugu II wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:46 amIn fact, what you put up is more warped, tbh. Ask the South Americans? Ahh! Messi in his top days should have been crowned annually by them. By your logic, not so? Think about this, You promote your competition first and foremost. Never mind!! I do understand that there are some who think CAF should focus on promoting UEFA competitions before competitions organized by CAF. Not so?

Your last 2 sentences are complete hogwash, man. This is NOT about promoting UEFA competitions. This is about promoting African players who can and do ply their trade anywhere in the world. I honestly am surprised by the highly irrational argument you are making here.

An argument made even more ridiculous by the fact that till date, all the winners of the APOY have plied their trade in Europe at the time of their coronation. If what you are trying to sell here has any foundation at all in reality or logic, there are various players donning the shirts of African teams all year round all over the continent and yet, they have never been selected. Why? Because the award is for the African Player of the Year and not some fantasy award with the weird criteria you are making up.

And I do not need to ask the South Americans anything. They have nothing at all to do with the APOY. If you want to promote South American awards and approaches, go to South America. :)
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Osimhen absolutely deserves the APOY. Dude carried Napoli to their 1st title in 33 years. Hakimi, Mane and Mahrez are impostors compared to Osimhen. And dont get me started with Partey and Kudus. Any Ghanaina that mentions those 2 midgets infront of Osimhen name deserved to be flogged like thief.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

theDunamis wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 2:48 am
Enugu II wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:46 amIn fact, what you put up is more warped, tbh. Ask the South Americans? Ahh! Messi in his top days should have been crowned annually by them. By your logic, not so? Think about this, You promote your competition first and foremost. Never mind!! I do understand that there are some who think CAF should focus on promoting UEFA competitions before competitions organized by CAF. Not so?

Your last 2 sentences are complete hogwash, man. This is NOT about promoting UEFA competitions. This is about promoting African players who can and do ply their trade anywhere in the world. I honestly am surprised by the highly irrational argument you are making here.

An argument made even more ridiculous by the fact that till date, all the winners of the APOY have plied their trade in Europe at the time of their coronation. If what you are trying to sell here has any foundation at all in reality or logic, there are various players donning the shirts of African teams all year round all over the continent and yet, they have never been selected. Why? Because the award is for the African Player of the Year and not some fantasy award with the weird criteria you are making up.

And I do not need to ask the South Americans anything. They have nothing at all to do with the APOY. If you want to promote South American awards and approaches, go to South America. :)
I’m surprised Prof is making this type of argument too. Our best players in Africa are not often in Africa. As long as they are citizens of an African country. Soccer is a global game. There are times when the World Player of the Year didn’t win the WC in a World Cup year.
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

bret- hart wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:54 am

Osimhen absolutely deserves the APOY. Dude carried Napoli to their 1st title in 33 years. Hakimi, Mane and Mahrez are impostors compared to Osimhen. And dont get me started with Partey and Kudus. Any Ghanaina that mentions those 2 midgets infront of Osimhen name deserved to be flogged like thief.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Someone will totally hate Kim Min Jae, after watching this clip. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

According to Kim:

"[Osimhen] is a world class player, he truly is."

"[Osimhen] is one of the best players in the world."
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Danfo,

Check this out smh

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tobi17 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:55 pm Danfo,

Check this out smh

They are not serious :huh: That’s the right hand man of King Vic!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

Check this out smh

the replies are funny.

which one of you is this
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

they do not count , do not waste your time with lesser footballers from ghana
SuperEagles

Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Enugu II wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:20 am
danfo driver wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:13 pm When it was George Weah and Yaya Toure, Nigerians were twerking. But now its a Nigerian, Nigerians are telling us that we should look at the Jersey the player wore for 3 weeks. Damnnn! I wont lie, I love this country, but I despise its people. Tufiakwa!
Danfo

I don't know about what Nigerians have been stating on those cases but I have and will always believe that the African footballer of the year should be based on what you do when putting on the shirt of an African team. Napoli is not an African team. Morocco is. This is precisely the problem when Aubemeyang was crowned AFOY and last year a player who did not play a second for an African club or country was named by CAF on the best XI of the tear. That is just not it. I am not going to rubbish that basic principle because a Nigerian is involved in this case.
A Nigerian will bring baseless logic just to prove a warped point….so a non- European cannot win the Uefa player of the year then?

Btw…the AFCON best player award…..goes to…

The BEST performing AFRICAN PLAYER in the year…..

There is no caveat for the shirt there were wearing
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

King Futcha wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:16 pm

Check this out smh

the replies are funny.

which one of you is this
Bushboy’s Italian brother :rotf:
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I see EII's point that the Award should be based on performances in Africa and sort of agree with it. However, most of the best players in the tournaments and competitions in Africa all play in the best leagues in the world, which are in Europe. How do we discard the contribution their experiences and training in Europe contribute to their performances in Africa to make the award truly "Afro-centric "?

I think a good compromise will be to have a weighted system for the grading, where your performance in Europe can only count for 30 or 40 percent of the total rating for the award, with rest based on performances in Africa. This will give those who play in African as much chance to win the award as those who play in Europe. Also, the performances in Africa should be based on the qualifiers alone since you can be a great player and come from kpekpe football countries like Kenya, Zimbabwe, Uganda, and to some extent Ghana that hardly it to the AFCON finals.

The current system where only performances in Europe are the sole criteria for winning the award is rubbish.

furiously frank wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:08 am

I’m surprised Prof is making this type of argument too. Our best players in Africa are not often in Africa. As long as they are citizens of an African country. Soccer is a global game. There are times when the World Player of the Year didn’t win the WC in a World Cup year.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:55 am I see EII's point that the Award should be based on performances in Africa and sort of agree with it. However, most of the best players in the tournaments and competitions in Africa all play in the best leagues in the world, which are in Europe. How do we discard the contribution their experiences and training in Europe contribute to their performances in Africa to make the award truly "Afro-centric "?

I think a good compromise will be to have a weighted system for the grading, where your performance in Europe can only count for 30 or 40 percent of the total rating for the award, with rest based on performances in Africa. This will give those who play in African as much chance to win the award as those who play in Europe. Also, the performances in Africa should be based on the qualifiers alone since you can be a great player and come from kpekpe football countries like Kenya, Zimbabwe, Uganda, and to some extent Ghana that hardly it to the AFCON finals.

The current system where only performances in Europe are the sole criteria for winning the award is rubbish.

furiously frank wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:08 am

1naija

One thing I think is that this year Victir, a Nigerian, is a contender. Most of us focused on Mikel's contribution for Nigeria the tear Mikel was a contender. However, we cannot switch around based on whether the contender is Nigerian or not.

In my view, it is important that CAF elevates its own competitions above all else. I have pointed out how problematic this award can be when we do not. There are numerous examples of this. Sam kuffour almost won it (finished second) several years ago, annoyingly, in a year he refused to wear an African team shirt. That, to me, is problematic.

Perhaps, 1naija, your solution is a halfway point to dealing with this obvious problem. But th I se who deny the existence of a problem must be asleep.... serious slumber. While the African game is increasingly dismissed.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

1naija wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:55 am I see EII's point that the Award should be based on performances in Africa and sort of agree with it.
I am not sure that is what he is saying. He is saying the award IS based on. . . "Should" is an opinion, which would open a very exciting debtate. However, he is saying the award, as is, IS based on performances in an African shirt. This is false. That is not the rule.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

danfo driver wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:46 pm
1naija wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:55 am I see EII's point that the Award should be based on performances in Africa and sort of agree with it.
I am not sure that is what he is saying. He is saying the award IS based on. . . "Should" is an opinion, which would open a very exciting debtate. However, he is saying the award, as is, IS based on performances in an African shirt. This is false. That is not the rule.
danfo,

1naija, is perfectly correct. I am focused on SHOULD BE and have been for years not just on this site but on several media interviews. It is surely my opinion and I lay down what supports that opinion. There are numerous posts that I have made on this, including my criticism of Sam Kuffour when he did diddly in an African shirt and yet finished AFOY runners up. Thus, it is about what SHOULD BE and not WHAT IS. I criticize WHAT IS.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Enugu II wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:00 pm
danfo driver wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:46 pm
danfo,

1naija, is perfectly correct. I am focused on SHOULD BE and have been for years not just on this site but on several media interviews. It is surely my opinion and I lay down what supports that opinion. There are numerous posts that I have made on this, including my criticism of Sam Kuffour when he did diddly in an African shirt and yet finished AFOY runners up. Thus, it is about what SHOULD BE and not WHAT IS. I criticize WHAT IS.
Ah! Okay. I am good with that -- as in, I am good with you having that opinion. I dont agree with it, but I am not going to argue it, since its an opinion.

I just thought you were saying that it was the criterion they use right now. Thats why I mentioned Weah and Yaya; as well as concurred with the mention of Aubameyang.