U16 Tournament - Nigeria (0) vs Netherlands (1) - In Japan

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: U16 Tournament - Nigeria (0) vs Netherlands (1) - In Japan

Post by Damunk »

Gotti wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:10 am Btw, here’s one of the more well-known alumnus of the U15 team…

Kelechiiiiiii!!!!
Wow.
“Before they were stars”.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Gotti wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:31 pm
Damunk wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:58 pmI might be wrong but I always thought the onus for coach development falls on the individual, not the government, the Sports Ministry or the NFF.

None of us relied on the government to send us for advanced studies in our chosen professions.
Why should the coaching profession be any different?
Governments gave/give out scholarships (domestic and foreign), bursaries, grants, etc.
Not to mention that medical school education (such as yours) in Nigeria was/is HEAVILY-SUBSIDIZED!

Even in the UK, those of us who went to public schools and can afford Oxbridge fees still received grants…
In the US, there are government-GUARANTEED loan programs (with some forgiveness, and mass forgiveness now in discourse).
Yep, that is undeniable. But again, that was back in “the good old days”
Even then, there were very few government scholarships available and I struggle to think of one student in my large circle of peers that was a beneficiary.
What was quite common were student loans and bursaries, some federal, some state.
And of course, higher education was probably subsidised.

I doubt much of this is available nowadays or has been for a long time.
I do know the NFF have a coaching programme which is certified and standardised. How high it goes, I don’t know.
But beyond a certain point, it is down to the individual.
Depends on whether government thinks skilled indigenous (and thus residual) manpower a ‘PUBLIC good’ to invest in…
Or conversely to continue to SHORTSIGHTEDLY AND CLUELESSLY throw scare forex at often MEDIOCRE foreign mercenaries.
I don’t think the likes of Amuneke, Keshi, Siasia, Oliseh etc were waiting for anyone to give them a scholarship before they sought to acquire higher qualifications.

You can rightly blame “the government” as much as you like, but you need to also question the personal ambition (or lack of) of those who should have achieved much higher skills in far greater numbers than we have at the moment.
Undeniably, we are basically scraping the barrel for a decent local national coach.

Government or no government, Nigerians should by now have dozens if not hundreds of Keshis and Amunekes and among them, a few Cissés, Vieras and Regragruis in the making.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Our boys a goal down at HT vs the US
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Damunk wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:49 amYep, that is undeniable. But again, that was back in “the good old days”
Even then, there were very few government scholarships available and I struggle to think of one student in my large circle of peers that was a beneficiary.
What was quite common were student loans and bursaries, some federal, some state.
And of course, higher education was probably subsidised.

I doubt much of this is available nowadays or has been for a long time.
I do know the NFF have a coaching programme which is certified and standardised. How high it goes, I don’t know.
But beyond a certain point, it is down to the individual.
The Federal Scholarship Board still gives out hundreds of scholarships…
Apart from other quasi-governmental bodies like the NNPC, NDDC, NLNG, PDTF, etc.
In addition, so does several state governments (I personally know of Edo, Ebonyi, Borno, FCT, etc.).

Btw, back then was only the so-called “good old days” because IGNORANCE IS BLISS…
Reality is that Nigeria is presently much BETTER (and much worse) in myriad areas…
Difference these days is that the expectation of Nigerians are raised as they see in real-time how others live.
I don’t think the likes of Amuneke, Keshi, Siasia, Oliseh etc were waiting for anyone to give them a scholarship before they sought to acquire higher qualifications.

You can rightly blame “the government” as much as you like, but you need to also question the personal ambition (or lack of) of those who should have achieved much higher skills in far greater numbers than we have at the moment.
Undeniably, we are basically scraping the barrel for a decent local national coach.

Government or no government, Nigerians should by now have dozens if not hundreds of Keshis and Amunekes and among them, a few Cissés, Vieras and Regragruis in the making.
First, several indigenous Nigerian coaches continue to seek/acquire higher coaching qualifications (Boboye, Green, etc)…
But it’s a precipitous presumption that those who don’t suffer from a “lack of ambition”, when it’s more likely a lack of means.

The value of the local currency, in which these coaches receive their salaries has been in a free-fall over the past 8 years from about N200/$1 to almost N800/$1, without much (if any at all) upward review of their wages - and that is when they are paid wages at all or only paid after several months of delinquency, as is the case with most public sector employees in Nigeria (even though most of them earn less yearly than most state governments spend on buying an extra car or outrider vehicle for the Governor’s wife or children). As good (or ambitious) as many Nigerian coaches, no one can outrun their shadow.

Meanwhile, the $1million or more that was yearly pissed away on DUDS like Lazy Betty would have been enough to sponsor probably about 25 or more indigenous coaches to acquire higher coaching qualifications, with the RESIDUAL benefit that the knowledge and expertise acquired (or developed) is retained in Nigeria and those folks can train others within Nigeria. One of the principal poverties (if not the principal poverty) in Nigeria is the palpable POVERTY OF IDEAS.

From toothpicks to coaching, you simply cannot import your way to development. SMH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL