Nigeria 0 v South Korea 1 FT (Under 20 Q/Finals)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria 0 v South Korea 1 FT (Under 20 Q/Finals)

Post by txj »

Gotti wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:14 am
txj wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:42 pm Looking fwd to watching the US team. Quite a good collection of players...even with the withdrawals...
What happened? Couldn’t they give what they didn’t have?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It’s football, but easy for ‘perfect’ Internet coaches to pontificate on CE!

Anyone who follows and understands the game wouldn't laugh at the US. This I think is their 4th or 5th consecutive q/final finish.

What that means is that they are consistently developing players. Their league is producing top talent for European teams.

More importantly it is producing players who are able to compete at the senior international level, sometimes over their peers who are European based.

We can't say the same for Nigerian players. If Daga doesn't go to Europe he will never be a top player while at Dakkada FC.

I would definitely not laugh at the US...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Naija do well

Congratulations for making Africa Proud :clap: :clap:
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Rawlings wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:36 am Naija do well

Congratulations for making Africa Proud :clap: :clap:
Useless troll, always going into hiding after Ghana decide to be useless for a while only to crawl back out again :mad: :taunt:
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:35 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:09 am For anyone interested, the game is being shown on FS2 right now.

It’s ironic that we lost the best game we played in this tournament. One can’t over-emphasize the need for good finishers. You must take advantage of the opportunities that come your way or you could be left wondering what the heck happened . Anyway, kudos to the lads and their coaches for a good effort❗️

Cheers.
The problem wasn't even finishing.

We didn't create nothing all match.

PISS POOR.
Not true. Emmanuel alone had three promising chances in the 2nd half and he botched all three❗️

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:35 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:09 am For anyone interested, the game is being shown on FS2 right now.

It’s ironic that we lost the best game we played in this tournament. One can’t over-emphasize the need for good finishers. You must take advantage of the opportunities that come your way or you could be left wondering what the heck happened . Anyway, kudos to the lads and their coaches for a good effort❗️

Cheers.
The problem wasn't even finishing.

We didn't create nothing all match.

PISS POOR.
As painful as it was, I forced my self to watch the game a second time. If you are honest, you’ll admit that the Korean defense was extremely good. Matter of fact, their game plan was to keep Nigeria in check and try to sneak a victory or go to penalties. It worked to perfection for them❗️

Cheers.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

txj wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:10 amAnyone who follows and understands the game wouldn't laugh at the US. This I think is their 4th or 5th consecutive q/final finish.

What that means is that they are consistently developing players. Their league is producing top talent for European teams.

More importantly it is producing players who are able to compete at the senior international level, sometimes over their peers who are European based.

We can't say the same for Nigerian players. If Daga doesn't go to Europe he will never be a top player while at Dakkada FC.

You mean like top US youth players like Pulisic went to Europe to develop into a ‘top player’?! :lol: :lol: :lol:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

bret- hart wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:47 am
Tobi17 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:25 am So what is it going to be with Bo$$o, keep as U20 coach or fire?

Fire him biko. I cant wait for Sia1 to return from his ban.
What is the love affair you guys still have with Siasia?
davidbam14
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria 0 v South Korea 1 Extra Time (Under 20 Q/Finals)

Post by davidbam14 »

Gotti wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:11 pm WELL, THE RUN IS OVER… :clap:

This team wasn’t going to score all week.
And what exactly was the point of Abdullahi? SMH
Bosso was trying to sell him to the scouts in attendance nothing more
davidbam14
Egg
Egg

Post by davidbam14 »

Lolly wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:03 pm The boys tried but we are carrying a few poor players in the team today.
and thats the coach's fault.
davidbam14
Egg
Egg

Post by davidbam14 »

txj wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:37 pm
airwolex wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:20 pm It was a solid team. We just don't have that one guy upfront with that bit if magic, even then we were better in the day. I really like the football they played

A physically tough team that got better organized as they progressed in the tourney. But the fundamentals of the team organization in the modern game, plus the individual player technique was always lacking from poor early development.

Those who understand the game and are willing to be honest will understand what I'm saying.

The overall selection, I always questioned. The coaching acumen wrt talent development has never been there with this coach...You cannot offer that which you do not have...

Very little sympathy for the Nigerian team in this tournament.
:agree: The english commentator after Emmanuel umeh missed the last chance said "there was a lack of technique" and that has been so apparent in all their matches.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

I still think these tournament do what we need them to.

If all we got out of this was the WW launch of Daniel Daga, it was worth it.

I also think there’s a continued and necessary burying of the idea of 1994, and the rough but definite emergence of a new Naija style of soccer that is home-bred, competes for the ball at every spot on the field and built on defensive organisation. It’s what Amodu was trying to do, understanding as he did that our infrastructure was more likely to produce more Agahowas than Mikel’s.

I hope Bosso is kicking himself for not taking any great strikers but I also hope he’s secretly proud of the unique brand of football he managed to produce.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

waka-man wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:09 am I still think these tournament do what we need them to.

I also think there’s a continued and necessary burying of the idea of 1994, and the rough but definite emergence of a new Naija style of soccer that is home-bred, competes for the ball at every spot on the field and built on defensive organisation. It’s what Amodu was trying to do, understanding as he did that our infrastructure was more likely to produce more Agahowas than Mikel’s.

I hope Bosso is kicking himself for not taking any great strikers but I also hope he’s secretly proud of the unique brand of football he managed to produce.
I think I will have to re-watch these last two games because I desperately wanted to see the "defensive organisation" being spoken about.
I watched the Argentina game in full but only half the SK game (I will watch the rest).

I was very frustrated at how our defence kept losing team possession by booting the ball out once under pressure.
Though quite successful, I don't really regard that as good defending, even as the commentator described it as "wonderful defending".
I was like, really? :ohmy:

The way the Argies were dancing round and through our defence was quite embarrassing.
The Argentine problem was end product, but that's not our concern. We beat then 2-0 fair and square.

There was a lot of jambodi play from us against both teams.
I am really concerned by that, especially in our youth teams that are known for their free-flowing style.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Damunk wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:21 pm
waka-man wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:09 am I still think these tournament do what we need them to.

I think I will have to re-watch these last two games because I desperately wanted to see the "defensive organisation" being spoken about.
I watched the Argentina game in full but only half the SK game (I will watch the rest).

I was very frustrated at how our defence kept losing team possession by booting the ball out once under pressure.
Though quite successful, I don't really regard that as good defending, even as the commentator described it as "wonderful defending".

The way the Argies were dancing round and through our defence was quite embarrassing.
The Argentine problem was end product, but that's not our concern. We beat then 2-0 fair and square.

I am really concerned by that, especially in our youth teams that are known for their free-flowing style.
I don’t know what game you watched but it wasn’t the South Korea vs Nigeria U20 quarte-final match. We outplayed them in every possible category❗️

south korea national under-20 football team vs nigeria national under-20 football team stats ⚽ https://g.co/kgs/RtWZkC

Cheers.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Gotti wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:41 am
txj wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:10 amAnyone who follows and understands the game wouldn't laugh at the US. This I think is their 4th or 5th consecutive q/final finish.

You mean like top US youth players like Pulisic went to Europe to develop into a ‘top player’?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, and to become a CL winner.

But more importantly, like Walker Zimmerman and Miles Robinson, two MLS center-backs starting over their peers who are based in Europe and performing at a high level.

Yes, like Tyler Admas going straight from NYRB to Leipzig and starting.
Like Slonina who just lost to Uruguay, but was a much sought goalkeeper, including by Madrid and who has signed with Chelsea.

That's what a successful youth development does for you.

Finishing in Q/Final was not a bad result for Nigeria or the US. But its the quality of your talent development that determines what happens from hereon and that makes the ultimate difference..

We may be discovering players, but we are not developing them at a high level.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Or like Nwakali, Alampasu, Musa Yahaya, Dele Adeleye, etc who all moved to Europe after great performances at youth tournaments and became to world superstars.

Clearly, ATF txj, watches too much tv and lives la-la land.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

We are not developing talent at anything close to a high level, and the difference is clear when you watch our youth teams and the individual traits of the players.

We are exposing players to foreign scouts and thru the transfer process, hoping for them to fully develop in Europe.
That is not sustainable.

Plus the fact that corruption often ties the selection of players to the strength of agency representation.
Only 3-4 players stood out from this group. That is a poor, poor standard for the level of talent in Nigeria...

Players will always leave for greener pastures. That is not the point.
The real point is, what you are doing with them while you have them, especially at younger ages: 10-15yrs.

akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Gotti wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:36 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:54 pm This is proof positive that South Korea has overtaken us as a football nation. If they hold on, the scoreline will not show but this is a sound and comprehensive defeat. Really, they're not our mates in football.
The way Israel have “overtaken” Brazil as a football nation?! :P

Anyway, from my recollection, South Korea tends to beat us more times than not (I distinctly a loss at the 2010 under Lagerback), albeit it can be argued that we don’t play them competitively often enough to draw a firm conclusion. South Korea has had pretty decent senior sides since since the turn of the century or thereabouts (in fact, it’s 1994 USA WC team played very good, albeit a tad naive, football) and have produced (and continues to produce) some pretty good players.

In fact, I recall South Korea wiring Jo Bonfrere’s Nigeria U23 team 5-0 or 5-1 in the run-up to the 2000 Olympics. :oops:
Chief, to be fair, in 2010 we did not lose to South Korea, I believe it was a 2-2 draw in a game we needed to win to advance (despite losing to Greece and Argentina), to some extent you are right, it was as good as a loss

Man, thanks for nothing, for making me relive our worst world cup appearance ever :biggrin:
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

If you watch our NPFL games, you will see the same jambodi style of play on display. Our football has become very physical and the coaches are always looking for strength above the technical qualities. Even people here talk about how our Oyinbo recruits are not strong enough for the African football.

And the Youth teams are suffering from influence of agents and the NFF on team selection. Again, there is this preference for physical strength above technical qualities. You hear them say a player is too young or too small, when they are the right age.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Jambodi is indeed a key component of our emerging style. And we should accept and own it.

Yeah, you need the technical side - and quite a few of our U20 were very technical - but there’s something emerging that we should not dismiss.

Even our greatest player right now throws his body around.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Keep on trolling...

1naija wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:12 pm Or like Nwakali, Alampasu, Musa Yahaya, Dele Adeleye, etc who all moved to Europe after great performances at youth tournaments and became to world superstars.

Clearly, ATF txj, watches too much tv and lives la-la land.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

waka-man wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:54 pm Jambodi is indeed a key component of our emerging style. And we should accept and own it.

Yeah, you need the technical side - and quite a few of our U20 were very technical - but there’s something emerging that we should not dismiss.

But we were winning things before our coaches came up with this jambodi style of play. Let’s see where this new style of play would take us.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

waka-man wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:54 pm Jambodi is indeed a key component of our emerging style. And we should accept and own it.

It's not so much about the emergence of jambodi as our new style of football, I think it's more about coaching and football philosophy from our youth and grassroot football...what style of football identity are our kids taught by their coaches in their various academies? Let's start from there. Nigeria has always traditionally been a team known for pace, flair and physicality...now all we see is physicality and the old cantanaccio type of old Italian defensively football. Though that's more of an outlier cause the U17 kids played some good attacking football but lacked proper finishers.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cracking game Italy v S. Korea
1-1 currently