Nigeria 0 v South Korea 1 FT (Under 20 Q/Finals)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Nigeria 0 v South Korea 1 Extra Time (Under 20 Q/Finals)

Post by Lolly »

metalalloy wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:07 pm At least we have found a promising goalie, some midfielders and defenders from this team.
The goalie is not good. Don't be deceived.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria 0 v South Korea 1 FT (Under 20 Q/Finals)

Post by airwolex »

They are a good team. Unlucky.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

The boys tried their best. Hopefully some will go on to good clubs. Otherwise we thank you for serving your fatherland :clap:
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Daga, Fredricks, Ogwuche, Eletu players to remember. Maybe Sarki.

The entire forward line... kai!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

WELL, THE RUN IS OVER… :clap:

This team wasn’t going to score all week.
And what exactly was the point of Abdullahi? SMH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
wazobia
Egg
Egg

Post by wazobia »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:54 pm This is proof positive that South Korea has overtaken us as a football nation. If they hold on, the scoreline will not show but this is a sound and comprehensive defeat. Really, they're not our mates in football.
Where is the evidence we have ever been ahead of them? BTW they have been to a WC semifinal even though they were hosts. Other than age group football, we can’t claim to be superior to them. They are very passionate about their football
WOWO = ONO (oh no!) = OBO

WOWO 'We only want Oyinbo'

ONO 'Oyinbo na Oyinbo'

OBO 'Oyinbo be Oyinbo'
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

green4life wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:10 pm The boys tried their best. Hopefully some will go on to good clubs. Otherwise we thank you for serving your fatherland :clap:
:agree:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

wazobia wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:11 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:54 pm This is proof positive that South Korea has overtaken us as a football nation. If they hold on, the scoreline will not show but this is a sound and comprehensive defeat. Really, they're not our mates in football.
Where is the evidence we have ever been ahead of them? BTW they have been to a WC semifinal even though they were hosts. Other than age group football, we can’t claim to be superior to them. They are very passionate about their football
Gbam!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

packerland wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:09 pm We may never get this opportunity again. Imagine coming out from that harder than life CAF qualification, go through AFCON, get to the tournament and all the favorites are gone before the semifinals only to lose to a team you dominated in possession.

Its a youth/development tournament, and every tournament is a new opportunity.

We have some good prospects here, although I question the overall recruitment and squad building.
We have much more talent and technical players than what is offered here...

Fredricks, Daga and Agbalaka stand out for me...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

marutimon wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:01 pm I still like the central defenders and midfielders, but when was the last time we had such terrible forwards?
:agree:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

This is an example of a team that has learned all the disciplined euro football we used to lack and lost the Naija magic of being able to unlock a defense and take people on man to man and beat them.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

We lost the mental game, otherwise, we can say that our team was competitive.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

Benjamin Fredrick is the only bright spot among a bunch of more than average players.
I feel sorry for the guy because his team mates are not good enough to showcase his talent more.
Nevertheless he was outstanding today and even offered more offensive threat than his toothless teammates. All of them cannot even shoot to save their lives (including Daniel Daga).
It's embarrassing and shocking how nigerian coaches come to their player selections. I doubt these were the best U-20 players Nigeria has to offer. If so something with grass root football and scouting system is awfully going wrong.

Nevertheless mission accomplished. Another gem spotted. Some solid players (Daga, Eletu) also discovered. The rest is just not good enough for the next level (not even for this level).
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Not enough gnashing of teeth yet guys keep it coming
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

It was a solid team. We just don't have that one guy upfront with that bit if magic, even then we were better in the day. I really like the football they played
Last edited by airwolex on Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

Gotti wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:57 pm Emmanuel! That was probably THE CHANCE!!

Same thing I told myself at the moment. 1 chance...and that's all you probably get.

All the same, I am proud of the team
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Good outing boys
Hopefully the lessons have been taken on board
Wishing you all success on your careers buoyed with improvements

We live to fight another day
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Who started the game thread? Big belle pokey warned us.

Well done coach Bosso and Captain Bameyi.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

Lolly wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:09 pm
metalalloy wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:07 pm At least we have found a promising goalie, some midfielders and defenders from this team.
The goalie is not good. Don't be deceived.
Madam,

I think he's decent. The last time I saw a goal keeper any better at U20 was Vanzekin
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

Very sad about this loss against the run of play. However, this is the best I have seen ANY Nigerian team play in a very long time. Congratulations to the guys for a good outing in spite of the loss today.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Naija fan wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:33 pm Very sad about this loss against the run of play. However, this is the best I have seen ANY Nigerian team play in a very long time. Congratulations to the guys for a good outing in spite of the loss today.
Kpom
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

The way Israel have “overtaken” Brazil as a football nation?! :P

Anyway, from my recollection, South Korea tends to beat us more times than not (I distinctly a loss at the 2010 under Lagerback), albeit it can be argued that we don’t play them competitively often enough to draw a firm conclusion. South Korea has had pretty decent senior sides since since the turn of the century or thereabouts (in fact, it’s 1994 USA WC team played very good, albeit a tad naive, football) and have produced (and continues to produce) some pretty good players.

In fact, I recall South Korea wiring Jo Bonfrere’s Nigeria U23 team 5-0 or 5-1 in the run-up to the 2000 Olympics. :oops:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

airwolex wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:20 pm It was a solid team. We just don't have that one guy upfront with that bit if magic, even then we were better in the day. I really like the football they played

A physically tough team that got better organized as they progressed in the tourney. But the fundamentals of the team organization in the modern game, plus the individual player technique was always lacking from poor early development.

Those who understand the game and are willing to be honest will understand what I'm saying.

The overall selection, I always questioned. The coaching acumen wrt talent development has never been there with this coach...You cannot offer that which you do not have...

Very little sympathy for the Nigerian team in this tournament.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp