Are we experiencing a new phase of Nigerian football?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Are we experiencing a new phase of Nigerian football?

Post by Tobi17 »

Traditionally we've always produced great strikers with ruthless finishing, and wingers with pace and flair right from our youth teams to senior level...but I've noticed (at least from evaluating our U17-U20 teams as a yardstick) that we are not producing efficient finishers anymore? in the recent years our various youth teams have always churned out a lavish factory of eminent strikers, so one would think Nigeria will never suffer a dearth of finishers given our history...but it's looking like we're gradually seeing a shift in our football identity where we are producing less and less of strikers (at least since the Osimhen, Awoniyi, Iheanacho generation) and we seem to be seeing a more defense-oriented brand of Nigerian football where more Center-backs and defensive midfielders are emerging? not sure if this is a identity transition which several teams go through or just a temporary phase?
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: Are we experiencing a new phase of Nigerian football?

Post by Cellular »

Tobi17 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:26 pm Traditionally we've always produced great strikers with ruthless finishing, and wingers with pace and flair right from our youth teams to senior level...but I've noticed (at least from evaluating our U17-U20 teams as a yardstick) that we are not producing efficient finishers anymore? in the recent years our various youth teams have always churned out a lavish factory of eminent strikers, so one would think Nigeria will never suffer a dearth of finishers given our history...but it's looking like we're gradually seeing a shift in our football identity where we are producing less and less of strikers (at least since the Osimhen, Awoniyi, Iheanacho generation) and we seem to be seeing a more defense-oriented brand of Nigerian football where more Center-backs and defensive midfielders are emerging? not sure if this is a identity transition which several teams go through or just a temporary phase?
Kids emulate what they see on TV.

But I seriously suspect that our scouting is leaving a lot to be desired.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Tobi17 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:26 pm Traditionally we've always produced great strikers with ruthless finishing, and wingers with pace and flair right from our youth teams to senior level...but I've noticed (at least from evaluating our U17-U20 teams as a yardstick) that we are not producing efficient finishers anymore? in the recent years our various youth teams have always churned out a lavish factory of eminent strikers, so one would think Nigeria will never suffer a dearth of finishers given our history...but it's looking like we're gradually seeing a shift in our football identity where we are producing less and less of strikers (at least since the Osimhen, Awoniyi, Iheanacho generation) and we seem to be seeing a more defense-oriented brand of Nigerian football where more Center-backs and defensive midfielders are emerging? not sure if this is a identity transition which several teams go through or just a temporary phase?
Is there any evidence of this apart from Bosso’s team? We continue to struggle to find defenders whereas the Orban’s and Boniface’s of the world abound.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

waka-man wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:31 pm
Is there any evidence of this apart from Bosso’s team? We continue to struggle to find defenders whereas the Orban’s and Boniface’s of the world abound.
I was about to ask the same thing.
Funny thing to say at a time when we have an abundance of top strikers.
It takes a few years for them to show the kind of promise now evident in our top 4.

Meanwhile, the defenders/midfielders are not there yet.
We are still hoping they come all the way through.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

There is no shift. It's just Bo$$o team in a nutshell.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bret- hart wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:18 pm There is no shift. It's just Bo$$o team in a nutshell.
The U-17 team suffered from poor striking as well…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:32 pm
bret- hart wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:18 pm There is no shift. It's just Bo$$o team in a nutshell.
Because our youth coaches are not picking the best youth players.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Piss poor agent, Bret Fart, just because the coaches don't pick your clients does not mean they are not picking our best players. Our best U20 players were in Argentina!

bret- hart wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:41 pm
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Please name some of those great youth players, besides Akinsanmiro, who weren’t in Argentina🤔❗️

Cheers.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:09 pm
Please name some of those great youth players, besides Akinsanmiro, who weren’t in Argentina🤔❗️

Cheers.

When you base call ups on the strength of agency representation, you limit yourself to only the players that the agents show you. That is not proper scouting...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

txj wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:48 pm

Cheers.

When you base call ups on the strength of agency representation, you limit yourself to only the players that the agents show you. That is not proper scouting...
Nice rhetoric but the only way to establish that the best youth players weren’t in Argentina is to name them. We already know of a few possibles who were absent because their clubs either refused to release them or were setting difficult conditions for their release and you can’t blame the coach for those circumstances🤔❗️

Cheers.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:26 am
txj wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:48 pm

Cheers.

Nice rhetoric but the only way to establish that the best youth players weren’t in Argentina is to name them. We already know of a few possibles who were absent because their clubs either refused to release them or were setting difficult conditions for their release and you can’t blame the coach for those circumstances🤔❗️

Cheers.

Actually its not the only way.

You can assess the way it is currently being done and highlight its limitations.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

What we are experiencing is a new low for Nigerian football.

The current NFF is so corrupt and inept they make Pinnick look like a genius.

Still no list, yet Peseiro is supposedly watching Super 6 to see who will be forced into his team.

Yum Yum fc and co.

Still no friendly match with world cup qualifiers to start in November.

Please tell me when ever did we not play a friendly under Pinnick ?

Who on earth voted this goat herders in as president. What a useless bunch of crooks.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:22 pm What we are experiencing is a new low for Nigerian football.

Still no list, yet Peseiro is supposedly watching Super 6 to see who will be forced into his team.

Yum Yum fc and co.

Who on earth voted this goat herders in as president. What a useless bunch of crooks.
Dude, there are more pertinent issues in life than the SE list. What's this obsession?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

highbury wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:32 am
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:22 pm What we are experiencing is a new low for Nigerian football.

Yum Yum fc and co.

Dude, there are more pertinent issues in life than the SE list. What's this obsession?
I mean this is a forum for fans of Nigerian football, so what's the issue with VE expressing his opinions about the SE?
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Tobi17 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:07 am
highbury wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:32 am

Yum Yum fc and co.

I mean this is a forum for fans of Nigerian football, so what's the issue with VE expressing his opinions about the SE?
I mean this is a forum for fans of Nigerian football, so what's the issue with me expressing my opinion about
VE's obsession about the SE list?
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

I hope the myth that we have an abundance of top-quality strikers finally dies once and for all.

We hound players out of our team prematurely because of that false belief. Fans think we have an abundance of top young guns waiting in the wings to take over. IMO, Ighalo was prematurely hounded out of the team in 2019. And what did the new strikers he was supposedly keeping out of the team do? Zilch. They didn't produce even half of what Ighalo was doing. Osimhen was OK, but as soon as he got injured, we had no decent cover.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

e sey na new phase :woot: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: new phase of Musa and Simon :rotf: :rotf:

Talk about being mentally demented. The woman they found to care for you needs to restrict your internet access. 1mbecile.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

danfo driver wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:43 pm e sey na new phase :woot: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: new phase of Musa and Simon :rotf: :rotf:

Talk about being mentally demented. The woman they found to care for you needs to restrict your internet access. 1mbecile.
You seem obsessed with 1mbeciles and children, are your kids...? oh, never mind :sneaky:
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Orion wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:52 pm I hope the myth that we have an abundance of top-quality strikers finally dies once and for all.

We hound players out of our team prematurely because of that false belief. Fans think we have an abundance of top young guns waiting in the wings to take over. IMO, Ighalo was prematurely hounded out of the team in 2019. And what did the new strikers he was supposedly keeping out of the team do? Zilch. They didn't produce even half of what Ighalo was doing. Osimhen was OK, but as soon as he got injured, we had no decent cover.
But how come these guys play so well for their respective clubs?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Tobi17 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:07 pm
Orion wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:52 pm I hope the myth that we have an abundance of top-quality strikers finally dies once and for all.

stop asking demented questions, you feeble brained cretin. I know its saturday morning and the woman they found to help you is sleeping in, but she shouldnt take off the rope that she ties to your neck, so you dont stray. :woot: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: 1mbecile!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

danfo driver wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:54 pm

stop asking demented questions, you feeble brained cretin. I know its saturday morning and the woman they found to help you is sleeping in, but she shouldnt take off the rope that she ties to your neck, so you dont stray. :woot: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: 1mbecile!
Your kids DanFAG, those poor little things, if onlyv... :taunt: :sneaky:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Tobi17 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:32 pm
danfo driver wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:54 pm

Your kids DanFAG, those poor little things, if onlyv... :taunt: :sneaky:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Tobi, this rope thing truly hurt you deeply. :lol: :lol: She did the right thing. You, know, the woman they found to help you around. Its tough for her, very tough. You know how you are? Even before you became demented, you were always difficult to care for ... and thats why that thing happened at home. So, its better for her if she is able to tie you up around the neck and leash you to the bed, like she does. Its not easy. Take it easy on this woman they found. :lol: :lol: