We made a mistake firing Rohr

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
We made a mistake firing Rohr

Post by Tbite »

I was one of the ones that said he should be fired. And this is a funny thread to open. Because I am saying two seemingly contradictory things.
1) I believe that EVERYTHING I said about Rohr was true
2) Yet I am here saying we made a mistake.

What I am essentially saying is Rohr should have been fired, assuming we could do better (which is what we hoped for).

But looking at how our football is run, I think in our present environment, we really can't do better. Maybe slightly better. Maybe someone like Herve Renard could do slightly better, but you can't get much better under our poorly structured environment.

We took a risk to improve things superficially, we should have stuck with 'good enough'.

I don't think that Rohr is good enough for the SE in theory, but we are not in a position to get what we deserve. The biggest problem I had with Rohr was not even his ability but his defeatist mentality. Perhaps we should have just given him more training, sent him on a retreat somewhere to boost his skills.

Peseiro does not hold a candle to Rohr. I guess, next time we have a somewhat stable coach, we stick to the guy. The main focus has to be on reforming the NFF, not the managers.

You can skip the preamble above if you want.

Here is the real essence behind my argument. I think in a football organisation you have a ceiling right? A country like Sudan is not going to attract Pep Guardiola, pay his salaries on time and expect him to function at his normal level. Every country has a practical ceiling for managerial talent. What I am effectively saying is that Rohr is pretty damn close to our ceiling. As in, Nigeria CANNOT practically do much better, without reform. Significantly better managers will not come here, because we cannot afford them, even if we could afford them, we cannot satisfy their requirements, even if we go for an efficient option, we do not have the right appointments to likely find such talent, and even if we found such value for money talent, we do not have all the other inputs to get their maximum output, things like squad depth, talent pool, data, travel requirements, lodging, administrative needs etc.

I THOUGHT our ceiling was much higher, but I was wrong. It might be like 5-10% higher than Rohr. But our Floor could be like 50% lower than Rohr In Short, we made essentially a foolish gamble. We tried to get maybe 5% better but risked going 50% lower. We should have played it safe and stuck with Rohr.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: We made a mistake firing Rohr

Post by Tbite »

But I am not saying we give up. All I am saying is that until we fix the NFF, managers like Rohr (that level) is the best we can really hope for. Maybe someone like Herve Renard in the best case (assuming everything gels).

Fix the NFF first, and then in that scenario, firing someone like Rohr makes perfect sense every time.

Hindsight is 2020, but this is a learning moment. We can't get Rohr back I suppose, too many contracts to fiddle with, too many emotions. Bu the good news (if you can call it that), is that now that we are languishing in our floor (Peseiro), it is actually NOW a good gamble for a new hire. Because mathematically we will likely do better than Peseiro (in terms of probability).

I say we try to get Herve Renard...but we need to act very quick while we still have time on the clock for preparations. His contract runs to August 2024. Lets hope France have a disastrous world cup, and pounce.
Last edited by Tbite on Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

The mistake was hiring him. We need to have standards. Don't hire coaches that don't have a track record of winning.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

ohenhen1 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:45 pm The mistake was hiring him. We need to have standards. Don't hire coaches that don't have a track record of winning.
The point is who are you going to hire? The most technical managers are not going to fit with our present circumstances, Africa is littered with journeymen that are WORSE than Rohr, and there might be 4-5 good coaches that are better for our needs than Rohr, finding those 4-5 individuals is not that easy. I think Herve Renard is one of the few, capable of understanding the African game.

When you look at Herve Renard's resume, it is actually worse than Peseiro's and Rohr's prior to his successes. And in fact, he continues to struggle outside of the African continent. So more than accolades, I think it is a question of fit. I am hungry and need to eat something, but my overall idea is that finding that perfect coach is going to be remarkably difficult under our circumstances. With Rohr, I think we came very close to our best scenario. I'll be back later at some point to see what else is up...
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Tbite wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:59 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:45 pm The mistake was hiring him. We need to have standards. Don't hire coaches that don't have a track record of winning.
The point is who are you going to hire? The most technical managers are not going to fit with our present circumstances, Africa is littered with journeymen that are WORSE than Rohr, and there might be 4-5 good coaches that are better for our needs than Rohr, finding those 4-5 individuals is not that easy. I think Herve Renard is one of the few, capable of understanding the African game.

When you look at Herve Renard's resume, it is actually worse than Peseiro's and Rohr's prior to his successes. And in fact, he continues to struggle outside of the African continent. So more than accolades, I think it is a question of fit. I am hungry and need to eat something, but my overall idea is that finding that perfect coach is going to be remarkably difficult under our circumstances. With Rohr, I think we came very close to our best scenario. I'll be back later at some point to see what else is up...
There are a lot of good coaches that will jump at the opportunity to coach Nigeria. Nigeria can match any country in the world in terms of talent. Our problem is organization The NFF need to repair their rep. Run a professional outfit and you will attract the best. Clearence Seedorf is already openly advocating for the job. i bet you Rohr will jump at the opportunity of returning. And that is inspite of news of NFF owing salaries. Why is that? The NFF need reform. We need to announce the coaching vacancy and hire a new coach. My criteria.
1 Young coach with new ideas.
2. No journey man coach that has been recently fired for poor performance.

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Nigerian men, shameless, weak and disappointing to the core. Especially when they see a white man, they have zero shame! always twerking, grinning and ready to serve.

Nigerian women must look at them and just shake their head. Tufia! :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

danfo driver wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:32 pm Nigerian men, shameless, weak and disappointing to the core. Especially when they see a white man, they have zero shame! always twerking, grinning and ready to serve.

some Nigerian men are simps.. there are many all over CE
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

danfo driver wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:32 pm Nigerian men, shameless, weak and disappointing to the core. Especially when they see a white man, they have zero shame! always twerking, grinning and ready to serve.

Exactly, we should have just retained a poor performer simply because we fear doing worse. How about dreaming of doing better?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

some people really get amnesia

SuperEagles

Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Good to see some of you guys waking up.

I see you've finally recognized that we were in a position where we couldn't get that much better in a short space of time. We needed to shore up what we had instead of completely overhauling it.

My own "Aha moment" came in 2010 when Amodu was fired. I saw that the new coach didn't do anything more than what Amodu would've done with the talent pool we had. Our "ceiling" was the talent we have available at that time. I wasn't even thinking about 2002. But someone mentioned it here. Of course, 2002 was the same exact script. Amodu's team at the 2002 AFCON would've performed better at the WC than Onigbinde's team.

So it was quite obvious to me that sacking Rohr at that time was a mistake. The improvements we could make were minimal at best (taking everything into consideration - player pool, incompetent NFF, etc), but the drop-off could be significant. And it turned out to be a significant drop-off - like ALL objectives failed. We actually got one of the weakest teams in the playoffs and still failed.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Rohr was the most consequential coach in Nigerian history, after Westerhoff.

As he aged he got gun-shy; but considering what he inherited and in particular the WC2018 qualification campaign in what was supposed to be a group of death, he served us well.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I read some 1960 archived Nigerian newspaper. The same problems we have today is what they were discussing back then. The problem with Nigeria is many settle for a mediocrity NFF and coach. But if it is a local coach they have a different mindset. Rohr was coaching Niger republic. He is now coaching Benin. The guy cant get a job in Germany.

I

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

we have so many weak minded losers on this forum..kai Oyinbo man has nothing to shake about. just look at them

still crying over Benin reps manager.

we are still waiting for september

Main article: 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualification Group L
Pos Teamvte Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification
1 Senegal (Q) 5 4 1 0 11 3 +8 13 Final tournament — 5–1 3–1 Sep
2 Mozambique 5 2 1 2 5 7 −2 7 0–1 — Sep 1–1
3 Benin 5 1 2 2 6 6 0 5 1–1 0–1 — 1–1
4 Rwanda (E) 5 0 2 3 2 8 −6 2 0–1 0–2 0–3[a] —
Updated to match(es) played on 18 June 2023. Source: CAF

mind you CAF awarded Benin 3 points vs Rwanda

the man is 70 years old.. What on earth are some of you thinking , what new ideas will a 70 year old coach offer the SE?
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SuperEagles

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Tbite wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:59 pm

There is no excuse on God’s green earth good enough to keep an underperforming coach. If the replacement isn’t getting the job done, you keep looking until you find one who can… but you don’t retain a bad coach and hope for a miracle❗️

Cheers.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

we need to move on and tackle what is in front of us . The WCQs and AFCON. instead people are busy crying about Benin's coach. This is just distraction and agents of enemy of progress in full force
SuperEagles

OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

Complete BS.

Rohr's defeatist mentality apparently has spread further that we thought. Just like long COVID, total elimination of ROHRITIS appears to be taking longer than anticipated.

Reminder.
There was no single football upside to Rohr's tenure as coach of the SuperEagles. The longest serving SuperEagles coach in the modern era, backed, and supported by a benefactor with a self-serving agenda.
His tenure, and understanding was about managing the unwritten agreement between him, and Pinnick to recruit only foreign raised Nigerians.

Everything else was studious avoidance of responsibilities. During the match. After the match. In scouting or dealing with potential local talent. That fraud that masqueraded as a coach got exposed as other teams doubled down on improving their lot, and attempted to prove competitive while he offered a laundry list of excuses for woeful performances by his team.

The real sentiment, and what you are trying to say is finding the right coach given the conditions or lack of optimum operating environment as a SuperEagles Coach.

Continuing on a road of failure shows a total lack of imagination, and belief in one's skills/attributes.

As someone said, the first mistake was his hiring in the first place. 2nd compounded mistake was failure to holistically evaluate him at the right time. Prolonging the decay, and spread of this metastatic fuckery.

A journeyman coach or a fraud like Rohr came to milk the natives with no tangible contribution to the football ecosystem.

Your mumu never do?

It is apparent to all the the NFF has to raise or change their operating philosophy if they have to meet their commitments for the next 2 years. Being comfortable with journeymen coaches willing to 'play ball' has brought Nigerian football to the this sorry state.

It might turn out to be blessing that Nigeria didn't go to Qatar, and get the FIFA palliative ...em ... appearance money.

Every NFF administration for the past 20 years has looked forward to qualification, and the money for short term fixes/debt resolution.

It now time for the NFF to step up in all possible ways if there are serious about WC 2026 qualification.

Serious in setting the tone.
Serious in setting up the environment.
Serious in setting the up mutually agreed criteria, and creating the conditions for success.
Serious in supporting or getting the right coach.

There is no money. Real famine has arrived for the next 2 years with no idea of serious money coming in anytime soon.
The NFF can decide to rise to the occasion, look inwards, attempt improvement(s), and play for the long haul or follow what previous administrations have done. Kick the can down the road.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Though I was in support of firing him and I knew the timing was not right but I was expecting some miracle with his replacement. Alas, the replacements have been worse.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

LOL

Rohr's World Cup qualification in 2018, was BY FAR, the most impressive qualification in SE history. We were in a group of death, and we just breezed right through it, even got docked 3 points and were still comfortably ahead.

Have some respect.

No coach, not Amodu, not Westerhoff, not Keshi, would have qualified Nigeria out of that group with Croatia and Argentina. Yet you all wanted him sacked because we couldn't get past a 2 time in a row World cup semifinalist, and the current world cup winner. Give me an effing break. The entitlement of Nigerians is disgusting.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:30 pm LOL

Rohr's World Cup qualification in 2018, was BY FAR, the most impressive qualification in SE history. We were in a group of death, and we just breezed right through it, even got docked 3 points and were still comfortably ahead.

Have some respect.

No coach, not Amodu, not Westerhoff, not Keshi, would have qualified Nigeria out of that group with Croatia and Argentina. Yet you all wanted him sacked because we couldn't get past a 2 time in a row World cup semifinalist, and the current world cup winner. Give me an effing break. The entitlement of Nigerians is disgusting.
You definitely love your White men. 😂 😂 😂 Infact you worship them. You are a good example of the weak naija men
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

highbury wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:40 pm

Have some respect.

You definitely love your White men. 😂 😂 😂 Infact you worship them. You are a good example of the weak naija men
a weak man is one who cannot look at things objectively.

One who is blinded by his own delusions.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:45 pm

Have some respect.

you are very weak and it is sad to know you claim to be Nigerian. The real Nigerians i know are ambitious and do not accept mediocrity . smh what a failed entity
SuperEagles

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Then he got to the WC and said Nigeria was there to learn.

iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:45 pm

Have some respect.

Well said bro :clap: :clap: :agree:.