PRAISE WALDRUM OR PRAISE THE DEVIL

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: PRAISE WALDRUM OR PRAISE THE DEVIL

Post by Enugu II »

fabio wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:19 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:24 pm Randy deserves a pay raise with an extended contract,he seems like an all round top guy that the girls respect alot
Extended contract ko, pay rise mi. He is gone, after the WC. Bye!
Fabio,

You are correct THAT HE IS GONE. I have no doubt about him going, given the all-out campaign among NFF insiders at the moment. They are voicing out that the Nigerian coach, recently assigned to assist the team, is the one responsible for this win and the earlier tie. It is an obvious ploy to downplay the role of Waldrum and limit any public damage that will follow his replacement after this World Cup. It is not disguised, to state the least. However, let the truth be stated, while I had not liked his work before now, let the man have his due. HE IS responsible for this team and credit MUST go to him.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:55 pmFabio,

You are correct THAT HE IS GONE. I have no doubt about him going, given the all-out campaign among NFF insiders at the moment. They are voicing out that the Nigerian coach, recently assigned to assist the team, is the one responsible for this win and the earlier tie. It is an obvious ploy to downplay the role of Waldrum and limit any public damage that will follow his replacement after this World Cup. It is not disguised, to state the least. However, let the truth be stated, while I had not liked his work before now, let the man have his due. HE IS responsible for this team and credit MUST go to him.

Well said, EII. Folks want to eat their cake and have it. They blame a coach for the bad and yet not give him credit for the good. That's patently ridiculous.

Giving credit when due actually gives one's criticisms more validity. While not doing so, suggests one has an agenda and facts are an inconvenience towards that agenda.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:55 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:24 pm Randy deserves a pay raise with an extended contract,he seems like an all round top guy that the girls respect alot
Fabio,

E II, as usual, NFF’s trying to reap where it didn’t sow. But I hope he collects every penny he’s owed, and the ladies paid all accrued bonuses owed to them.
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Thunder wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:33 am
Enugu II wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:55 pm
Fabio,

E II, as usual, NFF’s trying to reap where it didn’t sow. But I hope he collects every penny he’s owed, and the ladies paid all accrued bonuses owed to them.
Thunder,

It is really annoying. I am in a Group Chat with some of these guys and they were already lambasting the team after it went down 0-1 but after the game they worked vigorously to deflect praise from Waldrum to elsewhere. Just plain ridiculous.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I do not think Randy is qualified to coach an academy team let alone a team of professionals at the World Cup.

Yet I must give him credit for realising the limitations of his team and setting the team up in a way that does not overly expose those limitations.

Nigeria 🇳🇬 can barely play 4 consecutive passes before playing the ball straight to an opposition player with laser accuracy. He knows his team cannot keep the ball, hence he plays a 4-1-4-1, lets the opposition have the ball, and tries to score from quick transition counter-attacks (which Nigeria is good at with the speed of Oshoala, Kanu, Onumonu, and Ordega).

Conceding 60% possession to a team like Ireland 🇮🇪 (whose players are not exactly brilliant technicians) takes some doing. I actually think it is a deliberate tactic.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

wiseone wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:56 pm I do not think Randy is qualified to coach an academy team let alone a team of professionals at the World Cup.

Yet I must give him credit for realising the limitations of his team and setting the team up in a way that does not overly expose those limitations.

Nigeria 🇳🇬 can barely play 4 consecutive passes before playing the ball straight to an opposition player with laser accuracy. He knows his team cannot keep the ball, hence he plays a 4-1-4-1, lets the opposition have the ball, and tries to score from quick transition counter-attacks (which Nigeria is good at with the speed of Oshoala, Kanu, Onumonu, and Ordega).

Conceding 60% possession to a team like Ireland 🇮🇪 (whose players are not exactly brilliant technicians) takes some doing. I actually think it is a deliberate tactic.
Hey, Mr. Wisdom, what qualifies you to make conclusion #1? Are you a coach, an analyst, or just another soccer fan pontificating? YOu do not think an NCAA college grade coach is qualified to coach an academy? Where do you guys get this lunacy from?
On #2, can you point to other teams in this tournament that do plays their passes with laser accuracy?
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923