Gusau: “Most of our coaches don’t have any real grasp of tactics and technique

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Gusau: “Most of our coaches don’t have any real grasp of tactics and technique

Post by felarey »

Bell wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:21 pm
felarey wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:08 pm The problem with ideas is they are just what they are....ideas. Can you execute them??? What is on ground are very meagre resources, a lot of nigerian institutions have falling behind with dilapidated structures and the people left in charge are often not the best qualified but those that can put up with the current circumstances. It is why some move for the finished, ready made products.

Neither the NFF nor govt has the means or resources to do a lot of what needs to be done. We have a culture and mentality of those in govt or govt parastatals should be the one to fix things or make things happen. When Canada started to get serious about football, it was the private sector that brought about the development. The soccer clubs from grassroots are owned by people like you and I with a passion for the game, willing to invest and hire coaches and form clubs where kids come to join for a fee. They also solicit sponsorship from local businesses. My daughter plays in one of these clubs. Sometimes it's ex pro players, there's one here joint owned with Angola's 2006 WC goalkeeper and some ex pros from England. The coaches are paid fulltime or parttime, and the clubs include Fifa grade trainings for them. Usually a technical director (often from Europe) is hired to oversee the football side of things, coaching, academy, practices etc. They work with the local schools to make use of their fields and for winter, the bigger clubs have indoor turf facilities. These clubs on their own, pull coaches from clubs in Europe to come and train their coaches or run clinics for the kids. They even offer interested parents a chance to take these courses and gain qualifications.

A local association in the city administers the badges and qualification processes and so far are in charge of training referees from as young as pre-teens. The canadian equivalent of the NFF have issues too when it comes treatment of players with pay, flying them on economy class and the womens team complaining about their pay. They can barely take care of their employees' training needs talkless anyone holding them responsible for the development of the game. It's really down to the private sector and in return, govt could offer protections such as psuedo monopolies and an enabling environment. Offer tax breaks and other incentives that make it more difficult for companies that don't buy in to the social licence to compete with those that do. Our biggest corporations and most successful/affluent individuals should be offering these facilities, owning clubs and getting professionals involved. Companies with a certain level of profit/income should be made to participate by building arenas and facilities. It should not be left to the NFF or sports ministry.

NIGERIA DOESN'T NEED TO RE-INVENT THE WHEEL, BUT...

...just as Canada came up with a process that is suited to its conditions, Nigeria should so do. Everytime a need emerges, it should not become another endless worldwide search for a foreign model that may prove an ill-fit. Surely, there are enough local brains to develop the kind of institution we're discussing here.
Bell
Surely, the brains are there but they're waiting for the NFF and govt to do it. The guys that try are doing it with poor standards and lack resources.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Gusau: “Most of our coaches don’t have any real grasp of tactics and technique

Post by Damunk »

felarey wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:00 pm
felarey wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:08 pm The problem with ideas is they are just what they are....ideas. Can you execute them??? What is on ground are very meagre resources, a lot of nigerian institutions have falling behind with dilapidated structures and the people left in charge are often not the best qualified but those that can put up with the current circumstances. It is why some move for the finished, ready made products.

Neither the NFF nor govt has the means or resources to do a lot of what needs to be done. We have a culture and mentality of those in govt or govt parastatals should be the one to fix things or make things happen. When Canada started to get serious about football, it was the private sector that brought about the development. The soccer clubs from grassroots are owned by people like you and I with a passion for the game, willing to invest and hire coaches and form clubs where kids come to join for a fee. They also solicit sponsorship from local businesses. My daughter plays in one of these clubs. Sometimes it's ex pro players, there's one here joint owned with Angola's 2006 WC goalkeeper and some ex pros from England. The coaches are paid fulltime or parttime, and the clubs include Fifa grade trainings for them. Usually a technical director (often from Europe) is hired to oversee the football side of things, coaching, academy, practices etc. They work with the local schools to make use of their fields and for winter, the bigger clubs have indoor turf facilities. These clubs on their own, pull coaches from clubs in Europe to come and train their coaches or run clinics for the kids. They even offer interested parents a chance to take these courses and gain qualifications.

A local association in the city administers the badges and qualification processes and so far are in charge of training referees from as young as pre-teens. The canadian equivalent of the NFF have issues too when it comes treatment of players with pay, flying them on economy class and the womens team complaining about their pay. They can barely take care of their employees' training needs talkless anyone holding them responsible for the development of the game. It's really down to the private sector and in return, govt could offer protections such as psuedo monopolies and an enabling environment. Offer tax breaks and other incentives that make it more difficult for companies that don't buy in to the social licence to compete with those that do. Our biggest corporations and most successful/affluent individuals should be offering these facilities, owning clubs and getting professionals involved. Companies with a certain level of profit/income should be made to participate by building arenas and facilities. It should not be left to the NFF or sports ministry.

...just as Canada came up with a process that is suited to its conditions, Nigeria should so do. Everytime a need emerges, it should not become another endless worldwide search for a foreign model that may prove an ill-fit. Surely, there are enough local brains to develop the kind of institution we're discussing here.
Bell
Surely, the brains are there but they're waiting for the NFF and govt to do it. The guys that try are doing it with poor standards and lack resources.
I hear you.
But even on an enlightened board like this, the loudest call is for the NFF to train coaches.
I’ve always disagreed on that, but whenever self-development is mentioned, it’s excuses galore.
Institution-bashing is our national pastime - which is fair enough - but we tend to get so absorbed in it that we forget there is personal responsibility too and every individual should at least embark on some kind of personal (career) development.

The NFF may be corrupt as hell, but even if it wasn’t, they’d never be able to fund all the things they’d like to, or need to in Nigeria. The real private moneybags are a bit too shortsighted for my liking.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Bell
ALRIGHT, THINGS ARE WHAT THEY ARE...

...so, what can be done to improve things? This thread has suggestions to establish an institution for all sports in a university. What do you think about that? We don't want to end merely identifying problems.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

felarey wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:57 pm
mate wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:25 pm I'll chime in with my usual reference to what works for Croatia, as I follow youth development there closely.

Croatian coaches do not emphasize tactics. Technique, absolutely. The primary aim of Croatian academies are:

1) Coverage: everybody gets a chance and look for a long long time.

2) Skill and individualism over team cohesion and results: We don't eliminate due to age based club result.

3) Exposure: play in various game across age bands.

4) Slowly but intelligently hone tactics as a secondary goal...trying to find what position a player is suited for.

Croatians discuss how Germans over coach and put too much emphasis on size, pace, and power. Never mind the USA, where players are eliminated in age based competitions exactly on such criteria. Croatians realize a Luka Modric or Mateo Kovacic might take time to develop physically.

Structurally, here is how it works in Croatia.
* Every 1st div team has an academy and association of academies.

* There are age blended teams, but basically any player can find a home.

* You play regionally, across Croatia, and occasionally across the border against foreign kids.

* A healthy % of foreigners are included. 37% of 1st division players are foreign...keeping in mind many are Croatians from Bosnia, Serbia, as well as Albanians, Bosnian Muslims...but you also get Dani Olmo leaving Barcelona academy at age 16 to opt for Dinamo. We've number of Africans too.

* Exposure to pros...you'd be surprised how often top Croatian players come back to their roots, teaching and demonstration...inspiring.

* Again, you don't get eliminated if your team sucks or you're small and weaker...they find the right team for you. By about age 15, you decide if you forgo a full education path, as high schools accommodate your football...and you certainly are not going to college.

Croatian football philosophy basically says: pick the best 11, find tactics that suit them...but teach to skill, ball possession, and improvisation...while, of course, adhering to basic tactics which can be learned while the other stuff cannot.
What you've described as skill, ball possession and improvisation is something the average Nigerian kid gets to hone formally or informally. Majority develop informally without any organized coaching or training. Problem is beyond that, there is a chronic lack of facilities and equipment. Last december, I saw some guys playing football under a bridge (overpass across from Dolphin estate) in Lagos. The guy I was with told me it was an actual football academy going on under the bridge. So we stopped to watch for a bit. The guys were playing on red earth, lacked proper kits and had makeshift nets, when I scoffed at him calling it an academy, he insisted it was one and that they sometimes invite scouts to come and watch their best recruits. Then proceeded to list other similar academies in the area and around Lagos. I must say, the guys looked talented. Some players make it to local club sides and even Europe I'm told.

Better and more organized academies do exist around the country but it's not a case of any player finding a home. If you're not connected, you'd need luck or an individual's benevolence to get in. Nigeria's issue is different being that there is a huge gap in terms of facilities, organization and exposure. Heartbreaking condition in a football mad country. Closing that gap will require the private sector with incentives from the govt.

felarey, SEE THE HIGHLIGHTED ABOVE

In another thread I asked if "academies" are regulated and if not, should they? I think no one should be compelled to meet any standards, just that they won't have the seal of the regulating body. Playing under substandard conditions is deplorable.
Bell
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bell wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:25 am

In another thread I asked if "academies" are regulated and if not, should they? I think no one should be compelled to meet any standards, just that they won't have the seal of the regulating body. Playing under substandard conditions is deplorable.
Bell
Here’s a hint:
Asked whether the NFF has plans to build soccer academies of excellence to match the Real Madrid Academy in Port Harcourt, VP Akinwunmi stated that there were long term plans for such academies but the reality of the matter is that the NFF does not have the resources to do so at the moment. He again pointed to the current plan of the NFF to partner with the corporate world on such projects.

He did however say that there are a number of top academies beginning to spring up around the country and the NFF President had just visited one of such academies in Oshun state and he himself had also visited another in Ogun state where he said the impressive facilities are “as good as anything I’ve seen anywhere in the world”. The NFF is also in the process of categorising academies into Class A, Class B levels etc so as to bring a degree of standardisation and accountability into youth development
Seyi Akunwynmi
Former NFF Vice Chairman
June 1st 2021.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=304503&p=5673991&hi ... i#p5673991
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Damunk wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:50 am
Bell wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:25 am

Bell
Here’s a hint:
Asked whether the NFF has plans to build soccer academies of excellence to match the Real Madrid Academy in Port Harcourt, VP Akinwunmi stated that there were long term plans for such academies but the reality of the matter is that the NFF does not have the resources to do so at the moment. He again pointed to the current plan of the NFF to partner with the corporate world on such projects.

He did however say that there are a number of top academies beginning to spring up around the country and the NFF President had just visited one of such academies in Oshun state and he himself had also visited another in Ogun state where he said the impressive facilities are “as good as anything I’ve seen anywhere in the world”. The NFF is also in the process of categorising academies into Class A, Class B levels etc so as to bring a degree of standardisation and accountability into youth development
Seyi Akunwynmi
Former NFF Vice Chairman
June 1st 2021.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=304503&p=5673991&hi ... i#p5673991
I THINK YOU'VE ANSWERED MY QUESTION - THX

NFF plans regulation and will probably be the regulating body. Let them do it quickly and without (you know what comes next) corruption.
Bell
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

felarey wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:57 pm
mate wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:25 pm I'll chime in with my usual reference to what works for Croatia, as I follow youth development there closely.

Croatian coaches do not emphasize tactics. Technique, absolutely. The primary aim of Croatian academies are:

1) Coverage: everybody gets a chance and look for a long long time.

2) Skill and individualism over team cohesion and results: We don't eliminate due to age based club result.

3) Exposure: play in various game across age bands.

4) Slowly but intelligently hone tactics as a secondary goal...trying to find what position a player is suited for.

Croatians discuss how Germans over coach and put too much emphasis on size, pace, and power. Never mind the USA, where players are eliminated in age based competitions exactly on such criteria. Croatians realize a Luka Modric or Mateo Kovacic might take time to develop physically.

Structurally, here is how it works in Croatia.
* Every 1st div team has an academy and association of academies.

* There are age blended teams, but basically any player can find a home.

* You play regionally, across Croatia, and occasionally across the border against foreign kids.

* A healthy % of foreigners are included. 37% of 1st division players are foreign...keeping in mind many are Croatians from Bosnia, Serbia, as well as Albanians, Bosnian Muslims...but you also get Dani Olmo leaving Barcelona academy at age 16 to opt for Dinamo. We've number of Africans too.

* Exposure to pros...you'd be surprised how often top Croatian players come back to their roots, teaching and demonstration...inspiring.

* Again, you don't get eliminated if your team sucks or you're small and weaker...they find the right team for you. By about age 15, you decide if you forgo a full education path, as high schools accommodate your football...and you certainly are not going to college.

Croatian football philosophy basically says: pick the best 11, find tactics that suit them...but teach to skill, ball possession, and improvisation...while, of course, adhering to basic tactics which can be learned while the other stuff cannot.
What you've described as skill, ball possession and improvisation is something the average Nigerian kid gets to hone formally or informally. Majority develop informally without any organized coaching or training. Problem is beyond that, there is a chronic lack of facilities and equipment. Last december, I saw some guys playing football under a bridge (overpass across from Dolphin estate) in Lagos. The guy I was with told me it was an actual football academy going on under the bridge. So we stopped to watch for a bit. The guys were playing on red earth, lacked proper kits and had makeshift nets, when I scoffed at him calling it an academy, he insisted it was one and that they sometimes invite scouts to come and watch their best recruits. Then proceeded to list other similar academies in the area and around Lagos. I must say, the guys looked talented. Some players make it to local club sides and even Europe I'm told.

Better and more organized academies do exist around the country but it's not a case of any player finding a home. If you're not connected, you'd need luck or an individual's benevolence to get in. Nigeria's issue is different being that there is a huge gap in terms of facilities, organization and exposure. Heartbreaking condition in a football mad country. Closing that gap will require the private sector with incentives from the govt.

Croatia still maintains a pick up game culture. All ages play. Pros come back to play in 3v3 and 5v5 tournaments in summers. Again, Croatians realize over coaching is not good either.

But, there is a recognition street ball alone just doesn't work. Once upon a time, street kids were the best. Now we know it takes academies and full time commitment.

Even with that, since 1998 when we won 3rd place at the WC, it took 20 years to become a strong team again. We crashed because the football infrastructure of Yugoslavia crashed. It wasn't easy rebuilding, but now we have elite programs again.

I wish Nigeria could improve similarly. I know the talent is there. But man it sounds it won't be easy to develop this at scale...and overcome the nepotism factor. The only reason we get away with that one is because we're too small to hide the obvious...and actually culturally results matter in football, as no words are missed telling the truth.

My friend, you should hear how Croatians speak to each other in competition!

:)
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Bell wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:18 am

Bell
ALRIGHT, THINGS ARE WHAT THEY ARE...

...so, what can be done to improve things? This thread has suggestions to establish an institution for all sports in a university. What do you think about that? We don't want to end merely identifying problems.
Bell

My suggestion would be to start something like the Clairfontaine NT facilities in France. Morrocco has done this. I have to think this would have the biggest impact short term...at least get the pool of players to evaluate, train, and develop some style across age bands.

However, longer term a decent league is needed. Decent clubs can help run decent academies. It's a blueprint helping many teams in the world. It pipelines players into top global leagues, while providing backup for such players.

Most Croatians play abroad but obviously came from the league. However, players like Petkovic, Livaja, Orsic, Livakic, and Sutalo play in the Croatian 1st division and helped win 3rd place in the WC. Their WC performances got some of them transfers abroad too.

Nigeria can adapt such things, imparting its culture. The USA does exactly this, albeit doesn't yet produce top talent. We too in the USA have issue covering and promoting the best, in spite of lots of money...but that speaks to a not ideal football culture, as American coaches often still cannot recognize much less develop talent.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

I'll add one more obvious thing that all of you of course have already stated. Yes, it all takes money...which takes organization and less corruption. It is what it is.

I'm with you in rooting for the Super Eagles and Super Falcons. Again, I'd have loved if the Super Falcons beat England and did something remarkable. What a catalyst that might have been.