Great Nigerian Defenders?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Great Nigerian Defenders?

Post by Damunk »

Got picked up by an Uber a few days ago. It turned out the driver was Algerian.
Inevitably, our conversation turned to football and this old guy knew his Nigerian football.
He mentioned many of the Nigerian greats - going back 50 years.
From Chukwu to Okala, Odegbami, Keshi, Finidi, Kanu, Okocha, Taribo, Yekini, “El-Ruffai” (I don’t know why he thought that was his name :lol: ), Enyeama, Musa, Yobo, Mikel and Osimhen. He knew them all. His greatest love however was for JJ and Rashidi Yekini. He said he was at the games in Algiers when they beat us 5-1 and also another beating in a World Cup qualifier in the 80’s.
We spoke about Riyadh Mahrez and of course Rabah Madger. He mentioned many other Algerian stars I didn’t quite know of.

It was a great conversation but later it got me thinking about how few ‘great’ defenders we have actually produced over the decades. The world - and fellow Africans - know our midfielders and strikers. Even ‘keepers.
But not really defenders.

Which raises the question, why do we produce so few ‘great’ defenders?
Is it a culture?
The great Brazil kind of has - or had - a similar picture. Not particularly known for great defenders, there was even a period when it was obvious that even their ‘keepers were nothing special, until relatively recently. They always made up for it with world class midfielders and strikers. Again, was it their football ‘culture’, like “everyone wants to score; Nobody wants to ‘keep, or defend” as it is in Naija.

Over the last 30 years, all our stars that have come from our youth teams have been forwards and midfielders. No defenders, despite having some really promising youngsters in the all-conquering U17 teams.

The Okechukwus, Nwanus, Eguavons, Oparas, and many others were ‘okay’ but can’t honestly be referred to as ‘greats’.
The Oboabonas, Echejieles and Egwuekes even less so.

So do we need a development strategy where defenders and goalkeepers are made ‘sexy’ enough to interest and attract young players? Maybe the culture is skewed in favour of strikers, hence the abundance of strikers in our Nigerian Hall of Fame.

Just wondering.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
gurrano
Egg
Egg
Re: Great Nigerian Defenders?

Post by gurrano »

Damunk wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:46 pm Got picked up by an Uber a few days ago. It turned out the driver was Algerian.
Inevitably, our conversation turned to football and this old guy knew his Nigerian football.
From Chukwu to Okala, Odegbami, Keshi, Finidi, Kanu, Okocha, Taribo, Yekini, “El-Ruffai” (I don’t know why he thought that was his name :lol: ), Enyeama, Musa, Yobo, Mikel and Osimhen. He knew them all. His greatest love however was for JJ and Rashidi Yekini. He said he was at the games in Algiers when they beat us 5-1 and also another beating in a World Cup qualifier in the 80’s.
We spoke about Riyadh Mahrez and of course Rabah Madger. He mentioned many other Algerian stars I didn’t quite know of.

It was a great conversation but later it got me thinking about how few ‘great’ defenders we have actually produced over the decades. The world - and fellow Africans - know our midfielders and strikers. Even ‘keepers.

Is it a culture?
The great Brazil kind of has - or had - a similar picture. Not particularly known for great defenders, there was even a period when it was obvious that even their ‘keepers were nothing special, until relatively recently. They always made up for it with world class midfielders and strikers. Again, was it their football ‘culture’, like “everyone wants to score; Nobody wants to ‘keep, or defend” as it is in Naija.

Over the last 30 years, all our stars that have come from our youth teams have been forwards and midfielders. No defenders, despite having some really promising youngsters in the all-conquering U17 teams.

The Okechukwus, Nwanus, Eguavons, Oparas, and many others were ‘okay’ but can’t honestly be referred to as ‘greats’.

So do we need a development strategy where defenders and goalkeepers are made ‘sexy’ enough to interest and attract young players? Maybe the culture is skewed in favour of strikers, hence the abundance of strikers in our Nigerian Hall of Fame.

Just wondering.
Where you wan put Keshi for this conversation?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

gurrano wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:31 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:46 pm Got picked up by an Uber a few days ago. It turned out the driver was Algerian.

Is it a culture?

Just wondering.
Where you wan put Keshi for this conversation?
Keshi has already been mentioned as one of the few ‘great’ defenders we’ve produced nah.
:idea:
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Damunk wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:46 pmWhich raises the question, why do we produce so few ‘great’ defenders?
Is it a culture?

Just wondering.
You could definitely say the culture plays a huge part in this but moreso the culture of exporting players to Europe which is massively in favour of goalscorers as they're far easier to market as a whole. And is what generally dictates what is desirable, the same could even be said about our midfield in recent times. You can look at youth teams over the years for example and the trend is the same for the most part on which players are more likely to get a move regardless of their quality. But what the likes of the Brazil have that we lack is that competitive domestic league that will allow any talented player to thrive regardless of what the European market wants
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

My guy Nigerian team has always been known for explosive attack. Even in our glorious 90's days, you currently rarely hear about Okafor, Oliha, Nwanu, Ezeugo, Semitoje, and to some extent Okechukwu/Iroha etc. who where handling the defence responsibility. Even big boss Keshi (RIP) and Eguavoen that seems popular today has more to do with with their political figure than playing. Eguavoen for example if not for his been an APC politician/party chieftains that gives him the opportunity of holding a management position in the NFF, he would probably have gone the ways of Shofulowe, Eboigbe, Omokaro, etc. in memory line. We simply celebrated attackers, and the European teams penchant for our attackers also contributed.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Eguavon won’t go down in my list of the greatest Nigerian defender.

In no particular order and going back only to the late 70s, I would include:

Odiye
Chukwu
Shofoluwe
Uwe
Keshi
Okechukwu
Iroha
West
Yobo

Starts getting tough after that.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

waka-man wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:40 pm Eguavon won’t go down in my list of the greatest Nigerian defender.

Odiye
Chukwu
Shofoluwe
Uwe
Keshi
Okechukwu
Iroha
West
Yobo

As someone whom start watching the game in the 90's, I will pick Uche Okechukwu and to some great extent Stephen Keshi as my greatest defenders ! Particular Uche Okechukwu ! His tackles was so clinical and a delight to watch ! although skippo Keshi had this charisma which was unique !
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

onovo wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:56 pm
waka-man wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:40 pm Eguavon won’t go down in my list of the greatest Nigerian defender.

Odiye
Chukwu
Shofoluwe
Uwe
Keshi
Okechukwu
Iroha
West
Yobo

As someone whom start watching the game in the 90's, I will pick Uche Okechukwu and to some great extent Stephen Keshi as my greatest defenders ! Particular Uche Okechukwu ! His tackles was so clinical and a delight to watch ! although skippo Keshi had this charisma which was unique !
I'd say Keshi had a much greater international profile than Uche Okechukwu.
The Irohas, Shofoluwes and Okafors might have been great SE players but by our current assessment of 'greatness', how great were they really? Even Yobo, truth be told.
We can all agree on many Nigerian greats, but there are very few defenders amongst them.

Is it really that surprising that today we are struggling with quality defenders?
But the truth seems to be, we have always struggled.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Keshi
Eboigbe
Shofoluwe
Okechukwu
West
Yobo
Chukwu
I am happy
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

Damunk wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:30 pm
onovo wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:56 pm

Odiye
Chukwu
Shofoluwe
Uwe
Keshi
Okechukwu
Iroha
West
Yobo

I'd say Keshi had a much greater international profile than Uche Okechukwu.
The Irohas, Shofoluwes and Okafors might have been great SE players but by our current assessment of 'greatness', how great were they really? Even Yobo, truth be told.
We can all agree on many Nigerian greats, but there are very few defenders amongst them.

Is it really that surprising that today we are struggling with quality defenders?
But the truth seems to be, we have always struggled
Very on point ! Football pundit/analyst have always tagged Nigeria as a team with explosive attack and the defence been the weakest link of the team. Listen to Tunisia and USA 94 commentators you will hear this words often. But then the Keshi's, Okkechukuwu, and Nwanu were more quality than what we have today. It is no surprise we are loaded with quality attackers against other department today, it has always been so.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Is it a culture?

Just wondering.
Damunk

It isnt Nigerian culture but football culture. In many cases, forwards are far more notable because they get on the scoresheet. Ask yourself, most of the Nigerian opponents you are likely to remember are guys who are attackers and not defenders. Defenders are known when they are transcendent.

In any case, back to Nigeria and the discussion of players. Historically, Nigeria has always produced noble defenders particularly centerbavks until much more recently and particularly when production shifted to Europe. Since then, there has been a decline in production of notable goalkeepers and defenders.

In history, there are long line of great defenders including David Okoroji, Godwin Achebe, Segun Olumodeji, Tony Igwe, Christian Chukwu, Dominic Ezeani, Godwin Odiye, Uche Okechukwu, Chidi Nwanu, Stephen Keshi, West. I bet there are some I have missed but after 1998, it waned dramatically.

BTW, this issue is not restricted to defense. See also the mysteriously disappearance of attacking central midfielders. Again, this is an area Nigeria produced a plethora of talents but the movement to Europe and changes in the game has diminished production of such talents.

You may want to read up on this in terms of how stereotyping of African talents and the allocated important of the spine in football has diminished the search or consideration of African talents in certain spine positions. This stereotyping by Eurooean coaches is not happenstance but it has made definite impact in production of such talent.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Odiye
Chukwu
Shofoluwe
Uwe
Keshi
Okechukwu
Iroha
West
Yobo

Not for senior national team. How many caps?

I will put Adeshina and Atuegbu . Not to forget 10-10 and Eboigbe :clap: What of Babayaro?
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

wanaj0 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:16 am

Odiye
Chukwu
Shofoluwe
Uwe
Keshi
Okechukwu
Iroha
West
Yobo

Not for senior national team. How many caps?

I will put Adeshina and Atuegbu . Not to forget 10-10 and Eboigbe :clap: What of Babayaro?
Uwe had 15 or so caps and in 1990 when Keshi was doing guy for us re call ups, Uwe was our most important defender.

As for Babayaro, maybe the biggest waste, but I agree, for a short spell, he was beginning to look like he could be a great left back.

As for 10-10, that was just a hatchet man, truth be told.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

I cannot extrapolate for the entire country but from my experience I can categorically say that in my school FGC Ilorin, we always played pick up games and "crap players" were made to make up numbers by playing in defense while the "good players" were midfielders and strikers.

I saw this play out also when on holidays and we have these pick up games, the emphasis was on entertaining the crowd and "trying to" score

Lately, this has been changing because we now see total football as a winning brand
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

akamoke wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:38 am I cannot extrapolate for the entire country but from my experience I can categorically say that in my school FGC Ilorin, we always played pick up games and "crap players" were made to make up numbers by playing in defense while the "good players" were midfielders and strikers.

I saw this play out also when on holidays and we have these pick up games, the emphasis was on entertaining the crowd and "trying to" score

Lately, this has been changing because we now see total football as a winning brand
I think you can safely extrapolate it to the whole country.
Defenders were naturally left for the slow and cumbersome.
Let’s say the Danny Shitu types. :lol:

Keepers were left for the final-final left-overs.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Football is a game of self expression so, it shouldn’t surprise anyone that the best players in the world prefer to play in positions where they can express themselves, specifically in midfield and attack. It should also not surprise anyone that, historically, the very best defenders throughout the world are converted attackers and midfielders.

In Nigeria, defenders like Nnamdi Anyafo and Okey Isima come to mind. It might surprise some of you to know that, growing up, both were amongst the most sought after attackers ever. Good for us that they got converted to defenders❗️

Cheers.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Even in Nigeria’s 🇳🇬 1990s era “glory days” when it had players at Barcelona, Inter Milan, Arsenal and at the reigning European Champions, its defence had gaps large enough to pass herds of cattle 🐄 through.

Defending in the modern game is less about talent, and more about discipline, positioning, 100% laser concentration, teamwork, cooperation with others, and shape (AKA the things that Nigerian society struggles with daily on a micro level).
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:00 pm Football is a game of self expression so, it shouldn’t surprise anyone that the best players in the world prefer to play in positions where they can express themselves, specifically in midfield and attack. It should also not surprise anyone that, historically, the very best defenders throughout the world are converted attackers and midfielders.

In Nigeria, defenders like Nnamdi Anyafo and Okey Isima come to mind. It might surprise some of you to know that, growing up, both were amongst the most sought after attackers ever. Good for us that they got converted to defenders❗️

Cheers.
Football is a game of self expression? Says the Africans, and the South Americans. Applicable to the Germans? Where self expression must be eliminated or subordinated to the team cause? The Germans definitely haven't produced "flash" strikers but their approach has until recently ensured a quarterfinal berth at any major tournament. The expected minimum for coach(es), players and country.

The Germans have produced defenders in the pivotal Frantz Beckenbauer, Lothar Matthäus, Klaus Augenthaler, Andreas Brehme, Philipp Lahm etc.

The German national football team is one of the most successful national teams at the FIFA World Cup, winning four titles, earning second-place and third-place finishes four times each and one fourth-place finish. Germany's 12 podium finishes (3rd place or better) in 20 tournaments add up to at least three more than any other nation.

Where has self expression led us to? One of the most entertaining team at WC 94. Ongoing anguish for players, and fans. Unstable finances for the administrators.

Ultimately, the back story that needs to be brought up front and center, is how, and why you organize football for?
For entertainment or as an industrial structure where there are long term successful outcomes (trophies, finances) for all critical stakeholders(players, coaches, administrators, sponsors, etc.). Players who retire financially
comfortable, etc.
Last edited by OJI on Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wiseone wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:04 pm Even in Nigeria’s 🇳🇬 1990s era “glory days” when it had players at Barcelona, Inter Milan, Arsenal and at the reigning European Champions, its defence had gaps large enough to pass herds of cattle 🐄 through.

Defending in the modern game is less about talent, and more about discipline, positioning, 100% laser concentration, teamwork, cooperation with others, and shape (AKA the things that Nigerian society struggles with daily on a micro level).
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:46 pm
Hope you didn't forget Lakhdar Belloumi? He is numero uno of Algerian football.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Our most famous defender must be Taribo West. Was he great? Maybe for about 4 years of his career when playing in Italy.

The older folks would add Segun Olumodeji, Godwin Achebe and Victor Oduah to the names already listed in some other posts here.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Lolly wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:35 pm Our most famous defender must be Taribo West. Was he great? Maybe for about 4 years of his career when playing in Italy.

The older folks would add Segun Olumodeji, Godwin Achebe and Victor Oduah to the names already listed in some other posts here.
You guys are quick to make these subjective pronouncements that are usually less than factual, most certainly in this case. Taribo’s finest performances as a defender came at Derby County where he single-handedly kept them from being relegated🤔❗️

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:14 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:46 pm
Hope you didn't forget Lakhdar Belloumi? He is numero uno of Algerian football.
Yup. We spoke about him.
The man also mentioned Babayaro.