Goalkeeper CRISIS pick your poison

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

onovo
Egg
Egg
Re: Goalkeeper CRISIS pick your poison

Post by onovo »

Damunk wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:02 pm
onovo wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:01 pm
Damunk wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:39 pm
delisyomie don wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:44 am
ohenhen1 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:52 am Uzoho needs competition. Goalkeepers do make mistakes. Shouldn't be crucified over one mistake. The same Uzoho also made several good saves.
I blame the stupid coach, some games or matches like Lesetho or even this Saudi match, give another goalkeeper a chance so it can be a competitive position, even a defender or midfield gives other chances to see what they can do to claim a position or make it competitive.
I think it is easier to assess a keeper than an outfield player simply because in a sense he is a ‘stand-alone’ and is basically restricted to a box. His interaction with the rest of the team and his opponents is very narrow in scope and limited in frequency.
So it is about straight up basic ability: reflexes, positioning and judgement. Other than that it’s distribution to teammates. Ideally, the latter improve with experience from quality coaching and game time.

Assessing quality isn’t rocket science.
My point is, it shouldn’t take endless trials to know whether a keeper is good enough to compete in a senior national set up. He either has it or he doesn’t. Chiamaka showed from her youth team appearances that she was head and shoulders above even her seniors and many predicted that she not only would be the next SF keeper, but that she would be undisputed no1 in no time.

We just don’t have quality options. No one is hiding under any bridge with mad GK skills being ignored.
Once upon a time Brazil had a similar problem but their on field skills more than made up for average keepers.
I maintain it’s a cultural thing.
Nobody wants to ‘keep.
And those that end up ‘keeping in the schools and grassroot level are those not considered good enough to play.

We need to change that and make ‘keeping ‘sexy’ to the kids.
There are no role models at the moment.
That is the problem, we need to incentivize goalkeeping in Nigeria. I remember in 2012 when Emeka Amadi complained bitterly about the dearth of quality goalkeepers in Nigeria during the U-17 screening in Abuja. Amadi was really frustrated then. I THINK IS Is high time we have a presidential award for the best goalkeeper of the season in our leagues.
KPOM.
Though it might be hard to spot talented goalkeepers that are going to end up over 6ft tall while still kids, at least let us make the goalkeeping role attractive.
Special awards like you say, but right down to the grassroots level.
I don’t care even if just one state does it rather than nationally, no harm done.
If I were Enyeama, I’d set it up in Akwa Ibom for starters.

How does Cameroon do it?
They don’t have a special part of their brains made for goalkeeping.
It’s just a culture - legendary Cameroonian ‘keepers of old inspiring new generations.
Just look at their goalkeeping legacy: Antoine Bell, N’Kono, Onana, Sango’o, Boukar…
Why won’t they continue producing exciting young goalkeeping talent?

We don’t really have that.
We need to be proactive and change the narrative. Instead of tall kids only thinking of becoming basketballers in America, we should make them think of becoming world class goalkeepers too.
Absolutely :thumbs: Also, Idris Kameni as well was a great keeper for Cameroon !
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:06 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:52 am Uzoho needs competition. Goalkeepers do make mistakes. Shouldn't be crucified over one mistake. The same Uzoho also made several good saves.
I blame the stupid coach, some games or matches like Lesetho or even this Saudi match, give another goalkeeper a chance so it can be a competitive position, even a defender or midfield gives other chances to see what they can do to claim a position or make it competitive.
I think it is easier to assess a keeper than an outfield player simply because in a sense he is a ‘stand-alone’ and is basically restricted to a box. His interaction with the rest of the team and his opponents is very narrow in scope and limited in frequency.
So it is about straight up basic ability: reflexes, positioning and judgement. Other than that it’s distribution to teammates. Ideally, the latter improve with experience from quality coaching and game time.

My point is, it shouldn’t take endless trials to know whether a keeper is good enough to compete in a senior national set up. He either has it or he doesn’t. Chiamaka showed from her youth team appearances that she was head and shoulders above even her seniors and many predicted that she not only would be the next SF keeper, but that she would be undisputed no1 in no time.

We just don’t have quality options. No one is hiding under any bridge with mad GK skills being ignored.
Once upon a time Brazil had a similar problem but their on field skills more than made up for average keepers.
Nobody wants to ‘keep.
And those that end up ‘keeping in the schools and grassroot level are those not considered good enough to play.

That is the problem, we need to incentivize goalkeeping in Nigeria. I remember in 2012 when Emeka Amadi complained bitterly about the dearth of quality goalkeepers in Nigeria during the U-17 screening in Abuja. Amadi was really frustrated then. I THINK IS Is high time we have a presidential award for the best goalkeeper of the season in our leagues.
KPOM.
Though it might be hard to spot talented goalkeepers that are going to end up over 6ft tall while still kids, at least let us make the goalkeeping role attractive.
I don’t care even if just one state does it rather than nationally, no harm done.

How does Cameroon do it?
It’s just a culture - legendary Cameroonian ‘keepers of old inspiring new generations.
Just look at their goalkeeping legacy: Antoine Bell, N’Kono, Onana, Sango’o, Boukar…

We need to be proactive and change the narrative. Instead of tall kids only thinking of becoming basketballers in America, we should make them think of becoming world class goalkeepers too.
Damunk,

Nigeria had a very rich legacy of her own in the goalkeeping department until Rohr came along; Lateef Gomez, Inua Lawal Rigogo, Peter Fregene, Eyo Essien, Emmanuel Okala, Patrick Okala, Peter Rufai, Austin Ejide, Vincent Enyeama, Karl Ikeme, Ikechukwu Ezenwa… and then Gernot Rohr came along.

Ever since, we’ve held on to this ridiculous and erroneous belief that our best players and goalkeepers are in Europe. We must rid ourselves of that unrealistic belief if we hope to fulfill our potential greatness in football 🤔❗️

Cheers.
Bro,

We are not even close to Cameroon in the GK dept. other than Okala & Enyeama and maybe Rufai in the 80s, the rest are good but average goal keepers. Ikeme was good but he didn’t play long enough for us. What we have right now are a bunch of baskets.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Babadee
Egg
Egg

Post by Babadee »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:00 pm Do u want the tall useless goalie or the short useless goalie? A decision has to made asap. We are in deep okro soup. :scared:
Adeleye is the only one starting for his club the other two are bench warmers. So removing sentiments Adeleye should be the goal keeper.

Been tall is good but what did tallness help Uzoho when he could not apply simple goal keeping techniques to stop a useless cross going no where
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sheikh
Egg
Egg

Post by Sheikh »

Undertaker wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:36 pm
Undertaker wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:36 pm
Stanley Nwabili.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Ekorian wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:58 pm I'm surprised that we are still talking about goalkeeper crisis today. The guy cost us the world cup ticket several months ago....
Okoye not Uzoho
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

The solution is right in our face!!

Transition a basketball or volleyball player into a goalie!!!

Akeem Olajuwon went from Naija football to American basketball. His football footwork helped his meteoric, and dominant rise.

Jurgen Klinsman of Germany started out as a gymnast. His background in gymnastics helped his timing, and footwork/positioning.

What are all of goalies not demonstrating mastery of? Aerial command of the box, effective communication, positioning, quick reflexes/reaction, agility and hand/eye coordination while in motion. All attributes that must be successfully addressed for one to contemplate elite recruitment, and subsequent achievement in basketball or volleyball.

Can someone get in touch with any member on the Naija men's basketball or volleyball team who is inclined to play ball? I could see a weakness. Their ability to drop quickly to the ground, but this can be addressed rather quickly than the other six attributes our "goalies" don't sufficiently demonstrate.

Out of the box thinking is now required!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

OJI wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:42 pm The solution is right in our face!!

Akeem Olajuwon went from Naija football to American basketball. His football footwork helped his meteoric, and dominant rise.

Jurgen Klinsman of Germany started out as a gymnast. His background in gymnastics helped his timing, and footwork/positioning.

What are all of goalies not demonstrating mastery of? Aerial command of the box, effective communication, positioning, quick reflexes/reaction, agility and hand/eye coordination while in motion. All attributes that must be successfully addressed for one to contemplate elite recruitment, and subsequent achievement in basketball or volleyball.

Can someone get in touch with any member on the Naija men's basketball or volleyball team who is inclined to play ball? I could see a weakness. Their ability to drop quickly to the ground, but this can be addressed rather quickly than the other six attributes our "goalies" don't sufficiently demonstrate.

Unbelievable!
OCCUPY NFF!!
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

OJI wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:42 pm The solution is right in our face!!

Are you thinking of this as a long term plan or do you think we’ll be able to transition a player in time for the AFCON this January? Or are you joking?
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Yet another daft thread by his royal Daftness Kongi the dumb@%$$

The problem is Piss-ero has a love affair with Uzoho and Okoye. He refuses to try other GK. Same problem **** had. Laziness

Adebayo Adeleye (Hopoel Jeusalem)duh! Should be the number 1. I expect him to start 2moro.
Stanley Nwabili (Chippa United)
Kingley Aniagboso (FK Polyssia)
Ovie Ejeheri ( Arsenal U21)
Amas Obasogie (Bendel Insurance)
Christopher Nwoke(Sporting Lagos)

From these 5 at least 2 if not 3 are good enough to be the AFCON
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

What about this Jonathan Rasheed kid.

6’3”
Five clean sheets in last 6 games
Bar amp is 6th in Swedish league
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Expect Mozambique to score 2 if that happens. Baskets will be baskets...
bret- hart wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:17 pm Yet another daft thread by his royal Daftness Kongi the dumb@%$$

The problem is Piss-ero has a love affair with Uzoho and Okoye. He refuses to try other GK. Same problem **** had. Laziness

Adebayo Adeleye (Hopoel Jeusalem)duh! Should be the number 1. I expect him to start 2moro.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:06 pm

Nobody wants to ‘keep.

KPOM.

How does Cameroon do it?

Damunk,

Nigeria had a very rich legacy of her own in the goalkeeping department until Rohr came along; Lateef Gomez, Inua Lawal Rigogo, Peter Fregene, Eyo Essien, Emmanuel Okala, Patrick Okala, Peter Rufai, Austin Ejide, Vincent Enyeama, Karl Ikeme, Ikechukwu Ezenwa… and then Gernot Rohr came along.

Ever since, we’ve held on to this ridiculous and erroneous belief that our best players and goalkeepers are in Europe. We must rid ourselves of that unrealistic belief if we hope to fulfill our potential greatness in football 🤔❗️

Cheers.
TTTK,

This is what many on this forum do not understand. They think Nigeria's production of footballers started just yesterday.

Nigeria has and I believe continue to have a rich history of producing good goalkeepers. Unfortunately, at the NT level, our managers are focusing on getting them from Europe and paying perfunctory attention to the local. See the useless scouting happening locally where reserve goalies are being called up to the NT in guise of meeting a supposedly local quota. That is what represents scouting the local scene.

For those who think that football in Europe is fair and players are selected objectively, I suggest: "THINK AGAIN". There are many pieces out there that have researched this issue and show that such selections are in fact not objective. If you want to learn more here is a piece on goalkeeping positions in German soccer https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/1 ... 2221081125

The piece above explains some of the problems we have today. They are not occurring by accident. The spine position that are valued highly are goalkeeping (Prime), centerback (prime), and attacking mid. Deficiencies in those positions can cost a team dearly. The point is that the racist thinking leads to lack of trust for Black players in those positions. Now, you may cite a few and then claim that it demonstrates lack of racism but then ask yourself if you have ever heard of tokenism. Think of citing a few Black coaches and claiming that it means that hiring of coaches at the top level is devoid of racism.

While it is true that the racial barriers have gradually come down since Arsenal put in a Viv Anderson to demonstrate that a Black player can indeed play at the top level, the day of fairness has YET TO ARRIVE.

The above is affecting the presence of Black goalkeepers at the top levels of football and that includes Nigerians. What Nigeria needs to do is not buy into that crap and seek for goalkeepers everywhere including home. Europe should not be the ones to determine for us who is and who is not a good goalkeeper.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Elexus
Egg
Egg

Post by Elexus »

We Should not embark upon the search for a new goalie on the eve of Afcon. Uzoho kept the goal for us in Russia and was a credit to himself. He held his own against powerful opposition like Argentina featuring Messi and Di Maria and Croatia and kept a blank sheet against Iceland.
Granted, he has made some inexplicable mistakes in the two friendlies, but he is sinning in good company-- nearly all our past goalkeepers were error-prone. Rufai conceded a very weak shot against Zambia in the 1994 Afcon final, Ike Shorunmu allowed a very tame shot to beat him in Mali in the semi-final against Senegal in 2002.
The criticism against Uzoho may actually undermine his confidence. Let's tone down the criticism. He is the most experienced goalkeeper we have. He has played at the World Cup and knows the pressure of a big tournament.
Elexus
Egg
Egg

Post by Elexus »

We Should not embark upon the search for a new goalie on the eve of Afcon. Uzoho kept the goal for us in Russia and was a credit to himself. He held his own against powerful opposition like Argentina featuring Messi and Di Maria and Croatia and kept a blank sheet against Iceland.
Granted, he has made some inexplicable mistakes in the two friendlies, but he is sinning in good company-- nearly all our past goalkeepers were error-prone. Rufai conceded a very weak shot against Zambia in the 1994 Afcon final, Ike Shorunmu allowed a very tame shot to beat him in Mali in the semi-final against Senegal in 2002.
The criticism against Uzoho may actually undermine his confidence. Let's tone down the criticism. He is the most experienced goalkeeper we have. He has played at the World Cup and knows the pressure of a big tournament.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

1naija wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:26 pm Expect Mozambique to score 2 if that happens. Baskets will be baskets...
bret- hart wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:17 pm Yet another daft thread by his royal Daftness Kongi the dumb@%$$

For once you are right olodo1naija. But it wasnt Adeleye in goal :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:12 pm Nigeria has and I believe continue to have a rich history of producing good goalkeepers. Unfortunately, at the NT level, our managers are focusing on getting them from Europe and paying perfunctory attention to the local. See the useless scouting happening locally where reserve goalies are being called up to the NT in guise of meeting a supposedly local quota. That is what represents scouting the local scene.
They keep looking for goalies who are based outside of Naijaria even if the goalie is hardly seeing any action for their clubs.

And when you ask them to pick a local goalie, they go and pick a sub or someone who isn't in the top 3-5 in the league.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:42 am
Enugu II wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:12 pm Nigeria has and I believe continue to have a rich history of producing good goalkeepers. Unfortunately, at the NT level, our managers are focusing on getting them from Europe and paying perfunctory attention to the local. See the useless scouting happening locally where reserve goalies are being called up to the NT in guise of meeting a supposedly local quota. That is what represents scouting the local scene.
They keep looking for goalies who are based outside of Naijaria even if the goalie is hardly seeing any action for their clubs.

And when you ask them to pick a local goalie, they go and pick a sub or someone who isn't in the top 3-5 in the league.
Cell,

That is really shocking and it may end up messing this team up. I like the way the team has played in these two games. There is a clear difference between this team and under Rohr. This team likes to have possession from its own box and it is clear why the likes of Ekong are at risk. No more mindlessly hoofing the ball upfront. Second, there is an all out team work to regain possession when it is lost. I was impressed.... However, the goalkeeping will be the downfall of Peseiro's goals if he does not begin to look towards some homebased options VERY VERY soon.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Elexus wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:01 am We Should not embark upon the search for a new goalie on the eve of Afcon. Uzoho kept the goal for us in Russia and was a credit to himself. He held his own against powerful opposition like Argentina featuring Messi and Di Maria and Croatia and kept a blank sheet against Iceland.
Very well put. We actually don’t have a choice so close to Afcon. We have to build him up or take a risk on an unknown goalie who might be worse. Uzoho, Okoye and any young goalie that’s over 6ft tall should go to Afcon.
OCCUPY NFF!!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wiseone wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:35 pm
I very much doubt this.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:34 pm
Ekorian wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:58 pm I'm surprised that we are still talking about goalkeeper crisis today. The guy cost us the world cup ticket several months ago....

Okoye not Uzoho
Uzoho, not Okoye.
You consistently talk such nonsense with such supreme confidence.
You are even ‘incorrecting’ somebody that has got his facts right.

Here, take a look. :roll:

FYI, Okoye wasn’t even a sub in either leg. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Doubt what? That Noah is on the list? Or that his reps denied him being on the list?
Damunk wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:45 am
I very much doubt this.