DAMN we have a HUGE Goalkeeping problem.........

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
DAMN we have a HUGE Goalkeeping problem.........

Post by Enugu II »

Jose Peseiro may talk all he wants and may seek to motivate Uzoho but it is clear that this is the ACHILESS HEEL of Nigeria's national team and it has been for a while. The fact that Nigeria missed the last WC was down to Uzoho letting a harmless short in between his legs from distance. His preferred substitute, Okoye, is just horrendous. Today, Uzoho was just rubbish again. He seemed stuck in quick sand or cement (whichever one you prefer) in reacting to a catchable ball that led to Mozambique's opening goal.

On the team itself, Nigeria has a team (excepting the goalkeeper) capable of winning the AFCON. Make no mistake about that...Today, without getting much beyond the first gear, they tossed Mozambique every which way but ended up winning by an odd goal. In my view, if this was a competitive game, the margin of the win would have been much wider. Mozambique did very little to match Nigeria. They appeared completely overwhelmed. This, in my view was a walk in the park for Nigeria. They won the ball easily and tossed it around easily and created numerous opportunities. This was simply not a contest. The gulf between both teams was so wide.

But with this game, some players may be playing themselves out of contention for a place in the AFCON squad and others may not have done enough to warrant serious consideration. Here is my overall take.

Frank Onyeka -- He stood out clearly in the middle with his control and solid play. Whether he starts for the team or not is besides the point. What is clear is that he should be in the squad for the AFCON.

Dele-Bashiru -- Much heralded but did so little in my view. However, I do not believe it is fair to judge a guy by just a game given that joining an NT and expecting to immediately dominate is a rarity. Thus, the jury remains out on this guy.

Joe Aribo -- He was playing in the hole between Moffi and the midfielders. He was underwhelming in my view. Defensively he did his part but so did others in trying to win the ball back quickly which the team did well not just in this game but in the previous Saudi Arabia game. Beyond that, this guy was pants.

Moses Simon -- I praised this guy for his effort as a sub in the previous game. Today, he was off and widely so with crosses and just about every set piece that he took.

Torunarigha -- He had very little to do with acres of space to pass the ball around in defense. The jury remains out. We need to see more. I saw nothing that tells me he can dislodge the current center backs.

Moffi -- His effort is top notch especially when Nigeria did not have the ball. However, he seemed a second slow in his first touch and decision-making. The result? Several opportunities went dead. This is surprising given his scoring stats at his club. Perhaps, he was too anxious to get on the scoring sheet but he did nothing to contest for a starting spot.

Sadiq - His eagerness to score was very disruptive. Total lack of awareness of the offside trap!

While I have highlighted a few things, this had no bearing on Nigeria's overall performance against the overmatched Mozambique team. This is simply looking at who has a chance to win a spot on the team. As for the game itself, Nigeria was clearly dominant.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Elexus
Egg
Egg
Re: DAMN we have a HUGE Goalkeeping problem.........

Post by Elexus »

Uzoho is better than Alloy Agu was. He is better than Akpim
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Oga. You already know friendly results don't matter at all when it comes to predicting future performances. Beating Mozambique, even France,doesn't mean Guinea Bissau can't serve us a shock at Afcon. The most encouraging thing about these 2 games is that the coach seems to have total control of his team and knows how he wants to play. That's huge for SE.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

I thought you were a little harsh on Moffi and Aribo. Aribo especially. I thought he had a spectacular first half. He along with Onyeka.

Surprise also no love for Bruno who i think is the first name on the squad sheet heading to AFCOPN based on this international break perforace.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Aribo was one of the best players in the first half. What match did you watch ?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ugbowo wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:14 pm I thought you were a little harsh on Moffi and Aribo. Aribo especially. I thought he had a spectacular first half. He along with Onyeka.

Surprise also no love for Bruno who i think is the first name on the squad sheet heading to AFCOPN based on this international break perforace.
Bear in mind, my feeling is looking at these guys not just on what they did today but the likelihood that their play today puts them as certainties for the AFCON squad. Aribo was busy alright but he did nothing much that I would call spectacular. He seemed to play just behind Moffi but I just didn't feel him as much. For me, he did nothing today that should move him off the bench at AFCON. As for Moffi, he was busy and did work his socks off but seemed a second or so slow on the ball when an opening appears. Weird! Given that he really is quick most of the time. Just my thought.

As for Onyeka? I thought he was the best Nigerian player on display today. In my view, he is right there as a starter or first off the bench in that midfield.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics