THE PROBLEM WITH OUR SE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
THE PROBLEM WITH OUR SE

Post by vancity eagle »

I am trying to figure out what is the problem, because the truth is that the problem is not new, it has been with SE for a long time. I will tell you what it is not

1. It is not the QUALITY of our players. We have some of the best players on the continent. Certainly the quality of our players is much better than Lesotho, Guinea Bissau or CAR.

2. It is actually not even necessarily the coach. Yes our coaches are not the greatest, but its not like our opponents are being coached by any top quality coaches either. Our opponents also are either being coached by journey men europeans or subpar domestic coaches. So I do not accept that our problems are the coach, ESPECIALLY when the same problems have arisen consistently through the past 4 or 5 coaches. This tells me that coaching is actually not the main problem at all.

The main problem is actually our players. Not their quality, that isn't the problem.

The problem is the effort they give and the way the approach the game mentally. They take all of their opponents for granted and just lazily stroll through these games with minimal effort or concentration. When we get stung they decide to wake up but it is often too late.

Think of it like this. When you are the unfavored side, Guinea Bissau, Lesotho, CAR etc. and you are up against Nigeria or any FAVORED SIDE, you cannot go into that game strolling around, or putting in minimal effort. Your concentration must be very high, and you must be mentally prepared to put in an EFFORT.

Meanwhile we have pot bellied 2nd division bench warmers (Senior man Kels) who think it is their birthright to don the GWG, and think that their superior quality (because that is not in doubt) will be enough to see victory with minimum effort and concentration.

The coach then allows this to fester and it is up to HIM to nip it in the but and bench or not call up players who are not living up to their potentials. A sense of intense competition must be instilled, so that any player can be replaced by somebody willing to die for the cause.

Remember it was this lazy lack of competition that doomed Keshi's team to not qualify for the aFCON to defend our title.

Today we have many players, but the coach is too comfortable with the players "he knows"

This must stop NOW.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: THE PROBLEM WITH OUR SE

Post by Odas »

I am no longer watching many of our games for fear they will disappoint and possibly kill me. From when I stopped such, my blood pressure has been normal, my heart do not pound anymore and I feel good, whether we win or lose.

Thus, to many of you felllow Super-eagles' fans, please learn to expect the worse from the SE, because nine times out of 10, they will disappoint.

In their clubs, they give it their best because they know what will follow if they do not play the game as is expected, but when it comes to the national assignment, many of them loses possession and act like nothing happened instead of being pissed and striving the get back the ball.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:55 pm I am trying to figure out what is the problem, because the truth is that the problem is not new, it has been with SE for a long time. I will tell you what it is not

1. It is not the QUALITY of our players. We have some of the best players on the continent. Certainly the quality of our players is much better than Lesotho, Guinea Bissau or CAR.

2. It is actually not even necessarily the coach. Yes our coaches are not the greatest, but its not like our opponents are being coached by any top quality coaches either. Our opponents also are either being coached by journey men europeans or subpar domestic coaches. So I do not accept that our problems are the coach, ESPECIALLY when the same problems have arisen consistently through the past 4 or 5 coaches. This tells me that coaching is actually not the main problem at all.

The main problem is actually our players. Not their quality, that isn't the problem.

The problem is the effort they give and the way the approach the game mentally. They take all of their opponents for granted and just lazily stroll through these games with minimal effort or concentration. When we get stung they decide to wake up but it is often too late.

Think of it like this. When you are the unfavored side, Guinea Bissau, Lesotho, CAR etc. and you are up against Nigeria or any FAVORED SIDE, you cannot go into that game strolling around, or putting in minimal effort. Your concentration must be very high, and you must be mentally prepared to put in an EFFORT.

Meanwhile we have pot bellied 2nd division bench warmers (Senior man Kels) who think it is their birthright to don the GWG, and think that their superior quality (because that is not in doubt) will be enough to see victory with minimum effort and concentration.

The coach then allows this to fester and it is up to HIM to nip it in the but and bench or not call up players who are not living up to their potentials. A sense of intense competition must be instilled, so that any player can be replaced by somebody willing to die for the cause.

Remember it was this lazy lack of competition that doomed Keshi's team to not qualify for the aFCON to defend our title.

Today we have many players, but the coach is too comfortable with the players "he knows"

This must stop NOW.
The team will get everyone's best shot.

So it is imperative that the players are aware of it and play with a sense of urgency and not be complacent.

They might even need a Sports Psychologist to get them in the right frame of mind to play with a level of ruthlessness we haven't seen in these parts in a long time.

But to do that, it starts with competition. You have to have a competitive team where people will be playing to retain their spots knowing fully well that the guy on the bench is more than capable of taking his spot and he might not get it back.

The coach should call up and choose players based on current form.

Players don't like being on the bench.

As far as game-day issues, the coach should try to pair players who are complementary to the player he must have.

You have never been a fan of complementary players... always preferring 'Best' players who are not necessarily a good fit.

Fit matters!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:55 pm I am trying to figure out what is the problem, because the truth is that the problem is not new, it has been with SE for a long time. I will tell you what it is not

This must stop NOW.
...awa problem na MUSAaaaaaaaaaaaa :woot: :woot: :woot: !
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I think the play has to develop faster. For this to happen, the movement of the players to the positions where they can receive passes must be faster. All of this, depends on the coach's style of play and so it falls on Peseiro's lap.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I think the play has to develop faster. For this to happen, the movement of the players to positions where they can receive passes must be faster. All of this, depends on the coach's style of play and so it falls on Peseiro's lap.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

This must stop NOW.
Problem with what you are saying is you are focusing on the wrong player. This whole write-up was just a thinly veiled shot at Iheanacho. But knowing his flaws, he has still been the one that’s saved us in our last few games from the last competitive game where he scored the winner in dying minutes, to Saudi Arabia where he scored the second, to even this game where he almost scored a FK, hit the post, and provided the assist for our equalizer. You consistently ignore any good thing he does and focus only on the negatives which is so odd and borderline personal…Without Kele we lose this match, PERIOD. It wasn’t Kele that told Awoniyi to do a Yakubu (if that was Kele that’s a simple goal), it wasn’t Kele that told Lookman not to pass (if that was Kele he would have passed). Boniface was strolling throughout barely putting in any off the ball effort, Lookman was busy blasting our FKs away and making bone headed decisions all day, there are soooooo many worse culprits who actually spoiled the game, but your hyper focus on Kelechi is just perplexing…He almost won us the game for goodness sakes…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

maceo4 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:17 am

This must stop NOW.
Problem with what you are saying is you are focusing on the wrong player. This whole write-up was just a thinly veiled shot at Iheanacho. But knowing his flaws, he has still been the one that’s saved us in our last few games from the last competitive game where he scored the winner in dying minutes, to Saudi Arabia where he scored the second, to even this game where he almost scored a FK, hit the post, and provided the assist for our equalizer. You consistently ignore any good thing he does and focus only on the negatives which is so odd and borderline personal…Without Kele we lose this match, PERIOD. It wasn’t Kele that told Awoniyi to do a Yakubu (if that was Kele that’s a simple goal), it wasn’t Kele that told Lookman not to pass (if that was Kele he would have passed). Boniface was strolling throughout barely putting in any off the ball effort, Lookman was busy blasting our FKs away and making bone headed decisions all day, there are soooooo many worse culprits who actually spoiled the game, but your hyper focus on Kelechi is just perplexing…He almost won us the game for goodness sakes…
I agree with you!
Kelechi and the Iwobi were the best players on the field against Lesotho.

Vancity Eagles made some valid point on team psychology but as usual defecated on his nice post by attacking Kels.
Peter Obi For President 2023
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Fitting how you conveniently ignored the criminal invitation of Aribo, a below average player who's only notable transformation is the new haircut he got.

Awoniyi and Moffi are not better than Orban/Akor Adams.

Peseiro is a retard who will rather live and die on his 442/424 nonsense with no midfield spine. Iwobi isn't that good, I don't know why nobody is talking about this fact, years of playing for bottom table clubs like Everton and fulham has significantly stunted his quality. Why can't we call up more midfield options? Nwakali, Ifeanyi Matthew, Folorunsho, Alhassan can't do any worse than any of these guys for goodness sake.

So many issues to address, man just f**k this team, I should just support the US national team, thankfully I'm a dual citizen anyway.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

YUJAM wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:14 am I think the play has to develop faster. For this to happen, the movement of the players to the positions where they can receive passes must be faster. All of this, depends on the coach's style of play and so it falls on Peseiro's lap.
The team has to play faster.

The slow deliberate play is to the advantage of an "overmatched" opponent.

Coaches even tell their players who when they play against a team that is supposed to be superior (individually) to slow the game down. We without provocation, slow the game down.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

This must stop NOW.
I was with you up until you mentioned “Senior Man”. From the highlights I saw, Iheanacho was the best player on the field and got an assist to boot. I find it extremely amusing that you are blaming the one person who, arguably, put in the most effort on the afternoon… and if I may digress a little, 4-4-2 can be very effective but you must play the right personnel in the proper positions. But for tactical ineptitude on the part of the coach, Kelechi should have been played in one of the two forward positions. That would have tuned all those half chances into concrete opportunities. The fact is that with or without Osimhen, Iheanacho is indispensable to this team at the moment🤔❗️

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

This must stop NOW.
Personally, I won't have invited Kelechi. Not when he is playing in the Championship.

With a fit Iwobi, I would've have had him (Iwobi) in a more advanced role. Play with a diamond of him, Onyeka and Bruno Onyemachi.

The coach will keep having the selection problems because he just has his guys that he trusts and will always play regardless of form.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:39 am
I was with you up until you mentioned “Senior Man”. From the highlights I saw, Iheanacho was the best player on the field and got an assist to boot. I find it extremely amusing that you are blaming the one person who, arguably, put in the most effort on the afternoon… and if I may digress a little, 4-4-2 can be very effective but you must play the right personnel in the proper positions. But for tactical ineptitude on the part of the coach, Kelechi should have been played in one of the two forward positions. That would have tuned all those half chances into concrete opportunities🤔❗️

Cheers.
Uncle TTTK, you saw "Highlights". We watched the game.

The "best" player on the field was Iwobi.

Kelechi did okay... but I won't classify him as the best player. His lack of awareness saw him watch a man he was marking run into the six and head in an uncontested header.

When you talk about the assists. How many freekicks and corners did we have before we had one that threatened the goal or led to a goal?

But I do agree with you that he should have played as one of the forwards... closer to goal.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Iwobi and Iheanacho are even uploading their match stories on IG, almost feels like this generation of players have absolutely no need for sober reflections.

Man, we really need to disband and start afresh urgently
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Cellular wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:43 am

This must stop NOW.
Personally, I won't have invited Kelechi. Not when he is playing in the Championship.

With a fit Iwobi, I would've have had him (Iwobi) in a more advanced role. Play with a diamond of him, Onyeka and Bruno Onyemachi.

The coach will keep having the selection problems because he just has his guys that he trusts and will always play regardless of form.
I get all these hypotheticals, but can we at least focus on what actually happened? I get you wouldn’t pick him, but did he make more of a contribution in this match than those playing in div 1 that you would pick? Ex Awoniyi, Lookman, Onyeka etc…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

The SE is a team of individuals, no understanding, organisation or leader.
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

maceo4 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:53 am

This must stop NOW.

I get all these hypotheticals, but can we at least focus on what actually happened? I get you wouldn’t pick him, but did he make more of a contribution in this match than those playing in div 1 that you would pick? Ex Awoniyi, Lookman, Onyeka etc…
If we had won today it would have been as a result of Kelechi, his set pieces were all dangerous and begging for someone to take a chance, he assisted, hit the bar, drew a save from the gk and was involved in most of the build up in and around the box.
He needs to wear that band often abeg.
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I will take Awoniyi and Moffi over Orban and Adams.
Tobi17 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:31 am Fitting how you conveniently ignored the criminal invitation of Aribo, a below average player who's only notable transformation is the new haircut he got.

Awoniyi and Moffi are not better than Orban/Akor Adams.

Peseiro is a retard who will rather live and die on his 442/424 nonsense with no midfield spine. Iwobi isn't that good, I don't know why nobody is talking about this fact, years of playing for bottom table clubs like Everton and fulham has significantly stunted his quality. Why can't we call up more midfield options? Nwakali, Ifeanyi Matthew, Folorunsho, Alhassan can't do any worse than any of these guys for goodness sake.

So many issues to address, man just f**k this team, I should just support the US national team, thankfully I'm a dual citizen anyway.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

sabb wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:17 am
maceo4 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:53 am

This must stop NOW.

If we had won today it would have been as a result of Kelechi, his set pieces were all dangerous and begging for someone to take a chance, he assisted, hit the bar, drew a save from the gk and was involved in most of the build up in and around the box.
He needs to wear that band often abeg.
These guys esp VE have a personal gripe with him…that’s not based in reality…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Maceo and TTT

Iheanacho is an intelligent player.

At the beginning of the match I was even thinking that even though Nacho lacks speed and the ability to take on players, I will take him any day over a one legged dancer named Chukwueze.

However as the match wore on he just got worse. His play was slow and pedestrian. His indecisiveness cost us where he could have shot and scored late in the second. He kept making mistakes and he IS NOT a right winger. The fact he may currently be more effective than Chuks is just testament to how bad Chuks is. Tella should be on the right in a 442, but either way tactically we should be playing 352 it's painfully obvious.

There were other players who were just too casual, not just Nacho.

Boniface was very casual at times, and I even noted this about his club form tbh.

Onyeka wasn't that great.

Collins offered nothing as usual, and this was Samuel's worst game for SE. He was off his usual form IMO.

The coach is lacking in many aspects, but I cannot put the blame on him.

Lookmans selfishness at that moment, Awoniyis sitter. Awoniyi has NEVER had a good game for SE. NEVER. Enough with him.

Iwobi is consistently our best player bit he is so far back with Peseiros retarded 424.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:54 am Maceo and TTT

Iheanacho is an intelligent player.

At the beginning of the match I was even thinking that even though Nacho lacks speed and the ability to take on players, I will take him any day over a one legged dancer named Chukwueze.

However as the match wore on he just got worse. His play was slow and pedestrian. His indecisiveness cost us where he could have shot and scored late in the second. He kept making mistakes and he IS NOT a right winger. The fact he may currently be more effective than Chuks is just testament to how bad Chuks is. Tella should be on the right in a 442, but either way tactically we should be playing 352 it's painfully obvious.

There were other players who were just too casual, not just Nacho.

Boniface was very casual at times, and I even noted this about his club form tbh.

Onyeka wasn't that great.

Collins offered nothing as usual, and this was Samuel's worst game for SE. He was off his usual form IMO.

The coach is lacking in many aspects, but I cannot put the blame on him.

Lookmans selfishness at that moment, Awoniyis sitter. Awoniyi has NEVER had a good game for SE. NEVER. Enough with him.

Iwobi is consistently our best player bit he is so far back with Peseiros retarded 424.
What are these mistakes that you are talking about? You haven’t even acknowledged anything positive he did, which was more than others, but you are still harping on the negative. You are not balanced when it comes to him, you are borderline obsessed and it’s very odd…at one point in the game thread after he assisted and hit the post and had that FK saved you asked has he done anything in this match…like seriously????

And I know you are on auto respond because you mentioned me and TTT when TTT is not in this thread…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

This must stop NOW.
SiGned
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

The problem with SE is allowing Ghanananians on CE telling us the truth.

Ban em all!
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar