Dominic Solanke wants to play for Nigeria

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Dominic Solanke wants to play for Nigeria

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:19 pm
danfo driver wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:16 pm
txj wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:07 pm
danfo driver wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:59 pm
txj wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:51 pm
danfo driver wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:11 pm Txj,

Akpom has scored a second goal. Despite Ajax's struggles, his form continues... playing well and scoring from the withdrawn position.

A good championship player...
Oh! That was last year, when he dominated the Div 2 league. It seems you havent followed him this year? He actually moved to the Eredivisie and Europa League.

I have actually. He's largely a sub and has had a good run of games following injuries to Bergwjn and one other whose name escapes me atm...
Ah! nice. so you have witnessed his great form? I am surprised then that your first post about him spoke about "Ajax being in a bad place."

He's in good form atm. But he's still an average talent IMO..
Well, that is the same thing as Solanke - a below average talent who has failed at multiple clubs, struggled to score in Div 1 and "is in good form atm."

So perhaps both should be left out? Athough, it seems Akpom is part of the 50 and Solanke is not.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:25 pm
txj wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:19 pm
danfo driver wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:16 pm
txj wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:07 pm
danfo driver wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:59 pm
txj wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:51 pm
danfo driver wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:11 pm Txj,

Akpom has scored a second goal. Despite Ajax's struggles, his form continues... playing well and scoring from the withdrawn position.

A good championship player...
Oh! That was last year, when he dominated the Div 2 league. It seems you havent followed him this year? He actually moved to the Eredivisie and Europa League.

I have actually. He's largely a sub and has had a good run of games following injuries to Bergwjn and one other whose name escapes me atm...
Ah! nice. so you have witnessed his great form? I am surprised then that your first post about him spoke about "Ajax being in a bad place."

He's in good form atm. But he's still an average talent IMO..
Well, that is the same thing as Solanke - a below average talent who has failed at multiple clubs, struggled to score in Div 1 and "is in good form atm."

So perhaps both should be left out? Athough, it seems Akpom is part of the 50 and Solanke is not.

Actually he's an elite talent, like his peers that went thru the English FA pipeline. Some of them broke thru instantly, some have taken a longer route. Akpom is not in that group...

Solanke's simply taken a longer route. As for an invitation, I'm not sure why he would be on the list having never indicated any interest prior to now, allegedly...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:32 pm
Actually he's an elite talent, like his peers that went thru the English FA pipeline. Some of them broke thru instantly, some have taken a longer route.
You believe this is an elite talent? (Div 1 numbers)

2018-19 - 10. games 0 goals
2019-20 - 32 games 3 goals
2022-23 - 33 games 6 goals
Liverpool - 3 games 0 goals
Chelsea - 1 game 0 goals
Akpom is not in that group...
Definitely NOT an elite talent, I agree.
Solanke's simply taken a longer route.
He has only performed well in Div 1 for 3 months in his entire career; at the age of 26.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:39 pm
txj wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:32 pm
Actually he's an elite talent, like his peers that went thru the English FA pipeline. Some of them broke thru instantly, some have taken a longer route.
You believe this is an elite talent? (Div 1 numbers)

2018-19 - 10. games 0 goals
2019-20 - 32 games 3 goals
2022-23 - 33 games 6 goals
Liverpool - 3 games 0 goals
Chelsea - 1 game 0 goals
Akpom is not in that group...
Definitely NOT an elite talent, I agree.
Solanke's simply taken a longer route.
He has only performed well in Div 1 for 3 months in his entire career; at the age of 26.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Again, this is his 3rd season in the PL since leaving LFC.
He performed well last season and is doing even better this season...

Its quite interesting that on one hand you are promoting Akpom, ignoring the fact he's been a championship or lower level player most of his career, yet dissing Solanke...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:30 am

I see you have changed from "elite" to "performing well." :lol: :lol:

That said though, is it your position that a striker scoring 7 goals in 35 games is performing well?

Its quite interesting that on one hand you are promoting Akpom, ignoring the fact he's been a championship or lower level player most of his career, yet dissing Solanke...
Oh! Now I see why you have been insulting Akpom. I was wondering why you kept insulting him. You think I appreciate him as a player. :lol: :lol: Let me make it very clear. I am NOT promoting Akpom. Both Akpom and Solanke are average players. The inclusion of Akpom into the conversation had to do with your position that Solanke can play as a wide player or a midfielder. I have known Solanke since his youth team days and Solanke CANNOT play wide or midfielder or support better than what Nigeria has. It is due to your comments on Solanke playing wide/support that I then brought to your attention that there is another like-wise average player who is in form like Solanke, but UNLIKE Solanke, this other average player has actually had a history of playing wide and in midfield. So why force Solanke to do what another player has been doing.

You then said the reason you wont select Akpom is because Ajax is struggling at the moment. I then explained that I have followed Ajax this season and Akpom is actually one of their best performing players and is in form.

As luck would have it, Ajax played today and Akpom scored 2 times and was the clear man of the match, so I posted that - not because I am a fan of him - but because it was evidence to prove that my earlier comment (made this morning) that Akpom was in form.

NOTE - As I mentioned in the Akpom match thread, he should be considered, not because he is world class, but because he has something we lack -- a midfielder that knows how to score. We cant continue to rely on solely our strikers for goals.

Finally, unfortunately, Solanke (who is as average as Akpom) cannot be considered because he is no where near the level of the strikers we have. Osimhen, Boniface, Sadiq, Awoniyi, Moffi and Orban are vastly superior to him. Having a purple patch for 3 months at the age of 26 is insufficient to break into the Nigerian team. He will need to continue his performance for the rest of the season to be considered.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:22 am
txj wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:30 am

I see you have changed from "elite" to "performing well." :lol: :lol:

That said though, is it your position that a striker scoring 7 goals in 35 games is performing well?

Oh! Now I see why you have been insulting Akpom. I was wondering why you kept insulting him. You think I appreciate him as a player. :lol: :lol: Let me make it very clear. I am NOT promoting Akpom. Both Akpom and Solanke are average players. The inclusion of Akpom into the conversation had to do with your position that Solanke can play as a wide player or a midfielder. I have known Solanke since his youth team days and Solanke CANNOT play wide or midfielder or support better than what Nigeria has. It is due to your comments on Solanke playing wide/support that I then brought to your attention that there is another like-wise average player who is in form like Solanke, but UNLIKE Solanke, this other average player has actually had a history of playing wide and in midfield. So why force Solanke to do what another player has been doing.

You then said the reason you wont select Akpom is because Ajax is struggling at the moment. I then explained that I have followed Ajax this season and Akpom is actually one of their best performing players and is in form.

As luck would have it, Ajax played today and Akpom scored 2 times and was the clear man of the match, so I posted that - not because I am a fan of him - but because it was evidence to prove that my earlier comment (made this morning) that Akpom was in form.

NOTE - As I mentioned in the Akpom match thread, he should be considered, not because he is world class, but because he has something we lack -- a midfielder that knows how to score. We cant continue to rely on solely our strikers for goals.

Finally, unfortunately, Solanke (who is as average as Akpom) cannot be considered because he is no where near the level of the strikers we have. Osimhen, Boniface, Sadiq, Awoniyi, Moffi and Orban are vastly superior to him. Having a purple patch for 3 months at the age of 26 is insufficient to break into the Nigerian team. He will need to continue his performance for the rest of the season to be considered.

Solanke was a product of the FA's elite talent program. Its not my classification. Akpom was not.

Akpom is a sub at Ajax; his current performance has been for this period of extended run in the team as a result of injuries.

My position has been clear:

First, that he is not a wide player; but can attack from wide as part of a support role, behind the main striker- Vic/Bony/Sadiq.

2nd that he is competitive for the 4th striker position- Moffi and atm, Sadiq because of health reasons...

You continue to pretend that he's only played well for 3 months, which is quite funny...

Anyways, this is an academic discussion. Solanke is not in the frame for SE invitation, having already played for England and with no clear intent to switch...

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:37 pm
Solanke was a product of the FA's elite talent program. Its not my classification. Akpom was not.
So you agree with me that he is NOT elite, he was just an attendee in a program named "FA's Elite Program" like Taylor Moore, Callum Cooke, Sam Howes, JonJoe Kenny, Ryan Ledson, Josh Onomah and Joshua Sims? Understood.
Akpom is a sub at Ajax; his current performance has been for this period of extended run in the team as a result of injuries.
I agree. Do you also Agree that Solanke failed last season by scoring 7 goals in 35 games and his current performance has been for this period of 3 months?

First, that he is not a wide player; but can attack from wide as part of a support role, behind the main striker- Vic/Bony/Sadiq.
So he is not a wide player, but we should drop wide players and accomodate him because you believe he can play "from wide?"
2nd that he is competitive for the 4th striker position- Moffi and atm, Sadiq because of health reasons...
We do not have a 4th striker position.

Sadiq does NOT have heath issues, no matter how many times you say it. He has been back for months and is now in form - playing at a significantly higher level than t eh below average Solanke.
You continue to pretend that he's only played well for 3 months, which is quite funny...
Could you provide evidence that he has played well for more than 3 months in Div 1?

I have provided numbers showing that last season, he scored 7 goals in 35 games. Previous seasons in Div 1 has been shockingly abysmal as well. He failed at Liverpool and failed at Chelsea.
Anyways, this is an academic discussion. Solanke is not in the frame for SE invitation, having already played for England and with no clear intent to switch...
I agree. He is NOT in the frame for an SE invitation, but the real reason is because he is NOT good enough and right now, he is solidly behind Osimhen, Boniface, Sadiq, Awoniyi, Moffi and Orban.

Unfortunately for him, he will also NOT be picked for England because even though he attended an " FA Elite Program," he is NOT considered "elite" by the same FA which organized the program. He is considered significantly below their level, even with Rashord, WIlso and Carlvert-Lewin out of form, Tammy injured and Toney banned.

That says a lot, really. :oops:
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

World class player, he's better than all our overhyped forwards
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Solanke with a hattrick!!! :clap:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Tobi17 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:21 pm World class player, he's better than all our overhyped forwards
Tobi Wonder don start again.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:04 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:21 pm World class player, he's better than all our overhyped forwards
Leave the rose tinted lens of patriotism aside and look at the facts and stats...no current Nigerian striker is as good as Sokanke, including Osimhen.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Tobi17 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:30 pm
Leave the rose tinted lens of patriotism aside and look at the facts and stats...no current Nigerian striker is as good as Sokanke, including Osimhen.
This got to be one of those takes that make one go, ‘oh well’ and move on.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:55 pm
txj wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:37 pm
So you agree with me that he is NOT elite, he was just an attendee in a program named "FA's Elite Program" like Taylor Moore, Callum Cooke, Sam Howes, JonJoe Kenny, Ryan Ledson, Josh Onomah and Joshua Sims? Understood.
I agree. Do you also Agree that Solanke failed last season by scoring 7 goals in 35 games and his current performance has been for this period of 3 months?

So he is not a wide player, but we should drop wide players and accomodate him because you believe he can play "from wide?"
We do not have a 4th striker position.

Sadiq does NOT have heath issues, no matter how many times you say it. He has been back for months and is now in form - playing at a significantly higher level than t eh below average Solanke.
Could you provide evidence that he has played well for more than 3 months in Div 1?

I have provided numbers showing that last season, he scored 7 goals in 35 games. Previous seasons in Div 1 has been shockingly abysmal as well. He failed at Liverpool and failed at Chelsea.
I agree. He is NOT in the frame for an SE invitation, but the real reason is because he is NOT good enough and right now, he is solidly behind Osimhen, Boniface, Sadiq, Awoniyi, Moffi and Orban.

Unfortunately for him, he will also NOT be picked for England because even though he attended an " FA Elite Program," he is NOT considered "elite" by the same FA which organized the program. He is considered significantly below their level, even with Rashord, WIlso and Carlvert-Lewin out of form, Tammy injured and Toney banned.

That says a lot, really. :oops:

It sure says a lot doesn't it🤨

bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Tobi17 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:30 pm
You have started again. Solanke wishes he was as good as a 1 legged Osimhen. I am neutral about him playing for Nigeria. However i see him getting called up by England (Northgate ) anyways.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Desperate times call for desperate measures.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

I opened this thread because it went three pages hence I thought there is something here.
I googled the guy and found out the position that he plays.
Three pages on another striker/forward? Like someone said, if can play as a goolie, then
SE may have something here.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

TxJ

The graduate of The FA's elite talent program; I presumed you said he will be making the England team. :D
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Solanke is doing the business and putting in very impressive numbers in the TOUGHEST league in the world, but of course he's not Nigeria's "darling boy" Osimhen so we will pretend we shouldn't be all over the lad, lol...
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:05 pm Solanke is doing the business and putting in very impressive numbers in the TOUGHEST league in the world, but of course he's not Nigeria's "darling boy" Osimhen so we will pretend we shouldn't be all over the lad, lol...
He is good but he is behind Osimhen, you Bushboy wannabe. Osimhen has earned his "darling boy" status.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

aruako1 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:08 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:05 pm Solanke is doing the business and putting in very impressive numbers in the TOUGHEST league in the world, but of course he's not Nigeria's "darling boy" Osimhen so we will pretend we shouldn't be all over the lad, lol...
He is good but he is behind Osimhen, you Bushboy wannabe. Osimhen has earned his "darling boy" status.
I don't rate one season wonders, do it for 2 or 3 seasons then nobody can question your quality...
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

If you cant make Englands squad you aint better than Osimhen. Sorry.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

bret- hart wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:22 pm
Yeah, let's forget Southgate doesn't have his favorites already and isn't necessarily down to how good you are...Maguire isn't better than Tomori, but he's a mainstay player for Southgate...plus England is STACKED in attack at the moment. You be my guy but your assertion is flawed!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:40 pm
bret- hart wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:22 pm
Yeah, let's forget Southgate doesn't have his favorites already and isn't necessarily down to how good you are...Maguire isn't better than Tomori, but he's a mainstay player for Southgate...plus England is STACKED in attack at the moment. You be my guy but your assertion is flawed!
Im talking about the strikers position. Apart from Kane and maaaybe Ivan Toney the rest are average. If Solanke cant break thru the Queens army, he isnt good enough to be starting over Osimhen for Nigeria. He is a good squad player at best IMHO when everybody is healthy.