NO NIGERIAN REFEREES LISTED FOR AFCON

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NO NIGERIAN REFEREES LISTED FOR AFCON

Post by YemiBrazil »

Damunk wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:38 pm
YemiBrazil wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:07 pm
Damunk wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:40 pm
YemiBrazil wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:22 am
Damunk wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:49 pmYou can see them week in, week out in the NPFL.
Those involved don't seem to be very impressed. :?
I see them week in week out in the NPFL and I don't see anything different from what I see week in week out in the EPL. Besides, what gave you the impression that I'm not involved?
Okay…. Great.
So you’d venture to say this below was a one-off?
And that there’s an equal chance this would be waved off in the EPL?
And that even on review after the game, the EPL ref would have nothing to answer for?

If you can answer ‘YES’ to all three questions (actually, just one of them) - with a straight face, then…. I leave you to God. :taunt:

YES to all three questions.

8-)
God Dey. :sneaky:
... :rotf: Stop alienating our refs. If someone is truly paying attention and montoring properly, one or two should be at the AFCON. They are victims of stereotyping.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

YemiBrazil wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:42 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:49 pmYou can see them week in, week out in the NPFL.
I see them week in week out in the NPFL and I don't see anything different from what I see week in week out in the EPL. Besides, what gave you the impression that I'm not involved?
Okay…. Great.
And that even on review after the game, the EPL ref would have nothing to answer for?

If you can answer ‘YES’ to all three questions (actually, just one of them) - with a straight face, then…. I leave you to God. :taunt:

8-)
... :rotf: Stop alienating our refs. If someone is truly paying attention and montoring properly, one or two should be at the AFCON. They are victims of stereotyping.
Based on quota?
Or merit?
Just asking cos I’m wondering why the stereotyped Ghanaian, Somalian and Malawian refs were still invited…
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Damunk wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:02 pm
YemiBrazil wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:42 pm
Okay…. Great.

8-)
Based on quota?
Or merit?
Just asking cos I’m wondering why the stereotyped Ghanaian, Somalian and Malawian refs were still invited…
That's the point. Since quota obviously does not apply here, how do you establish & validate merit to determine that a Somalian, Ghanaian or Malawian should be invited but not Nigerian refs? :D

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Breaking: NFF’s Decisive Move – Imamu Maliki Umar Removed From NPFL
https://www.sports247.ng/breaking-nffs- ... pfl-clash/
Refereeing After Controversial Call in NPFL Clash
By Hashim Kolawole - January 9, 2024

In a decisive move by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), referee Imamu Maliki Umar has been relieved of his duties in the Nigerian Professional Football League (NPFL) indefinitely, according to reliable sources.

This decision comes in the aftermath of a controversial call made during the Matchday 17 clash between Shooting Stars FC and Bayelsa United FC, resulting in a 1-0 victory for Shooting Stars FC.

The NFF, acting upon the gravity of the situation and the public outcry surrounding Umar’s officiating, has directed him to step down with immediate effect from refereeing NPFL matches.

The committee responsible for overseeing such matters will deliberate further actions regarding Umar’s future involvement in the league.

The pivotal encounter between Shooting Stars FC and Bayelsa United FC unfolded with a contentious decision by Umar, leaving stakeholders and football enthusiasts questioning the integrity of the officiating.

The NFF, prioritizing the fairness and credibility of the league, decided to take swift and decisive action to maintain the high standards of Nigerian football.

This move emphasizes the NFF’s commitment to upholding the integrity of the NPFL and ensuring that officiating decisions meet the highest standards of fairness and accuracy.

As the football community awaits further decisions from the committee, the incident serves as a reminder of the continuous efforts to uphold the spirit of the game and maintain the trust of both players and fans in the NPFL.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

That's how it should be and should be the norm. I have noticed huge improvement over the past few years and steps like this will further help in ensuring compliance with the expected standard. Kudos to NFF for the swift review and action.

I see Nigeria has 30 referees on FIFA approval list for international duty in 2024 (11 referees, 11 assistant referees, 4 beach soccer referees and 4 FUTSAL referees). Nigeria should get active in whatever CAF politics needed to have them listed for these competitions. There won't be any debate on this topic if someone had shown us the criteria used by CAF to list the referees for AFCON, but what was posted here was this 3SC vs Bayelsa match which is not the full story of match officiating in the NPFL. Many of the referees are no-nonsense who have performed excellently in very difficult, hostile and even dangerous match environment.

Sunset wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:13 am Breaking: NFF’s Decisive Move – Imamu Maliki Umar Removed From NPFL
https://www.sports247.ng/breaking-nffs- ... pfl-clash/
Refereeing After Controversial Call in NPFL Clash
By Hashim Kolawole - January 9, 2024

In a decisive move by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), referee Imamu Maliki Umar has been relieved of his duties in the Nigerian Professional Football League (NPFL) indefinitely, according to reliable sources.

This decision comes in the aftermath of a controversial call made during the Matchday 17 clash between Shooting Stars FC and Bayelsa United FC, resulting in a 1-0 victory for Shooting Stars FC.

The NFF, acting upon the gravity of the situation and the public outcry surrounding Umar’s officiating, has directed him to step down with immediate effect from refereeing NPFL matches.

The committee responsible for overseeing such matters will deliberate further actions regarding Umar’s future involvement in the league.

The pivotal encounter between Shooting Stars FC and Bayelsa United FC unfolded with a contentious decision by Umar, leaving stakeholders and football enthusiasts questioning the integrity of the officiating.

The NFF, prioritizing the fairness and credibility of the league, decided to take swift and decisive action to maintain the high standards of Nigerian football.

This move emphasizes the NFF’s commitment to upholding the integrity of the NPFL and ensuring that officiating decisions meet the highest standards of fairness and accuracy.

As the football community awaits further decisions from the committee, the incident serves as a reminder of the continuous efforts to uphold the spirit of the game and maintain the trust of both players and fans in the NPFL.

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

A close call, very close... but you can’t fault the ref for making the call, especially if it was indicated by the linesman🤔❗️

Cheers.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

With the performances of the referees so far, do we now see why a Nigerian referee did not make the cut?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:16 pm With the performances of the referees so far, do we now see why a Nigerian referee did not make the cut?
no
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Better context and balance if we can have people monitoring the other African leagues too. You can't clap with one hand.

Those monitoring the EPL, La Liga, Brazilian league, Argentine league etc have noted that some of their refs, like the Nigerians, make one or two horrible calls every matchday.

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Sunset wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:49 pm
...can't tell if it is a foul given the video distance.
The ref is there on the and closer, probably a 50-50 ball, the attacker got to it first and momentum carried him into the keeper.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »