Peseiro names 25 man 2023 AFCON squad

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Peseiro names 25 man 2023 AFCON squad

Post by Dammy »

NFF COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT

Peseiro names 25 players as Super Eagles seek fourth AFCON title in Cote d’Ivoire

Three-time champions Nigeria have picked a team of 25 players for their onslaught for a fourth Africa Cup of Nations title, with Head Coach Jose Peseiro settling for usual suspects in a roster that has three goalkeepers, nine defenders, five midfielders and eight forwards.

Captain Ahmed Musa returns to the squad after he was left out of the starting games to the 2026 FIFA World Cup qualification series, while South Africa-based goalkeeper Stanley Nwabili is picked alongside Francis Uzoho and Olorunleke Ojo.

2009 U17 World Cup star Kenneth Omeruo (the only other candidate in the team apart from Musa who was in Nigeria’s 2013 squad that triumphed in South Africa) leads the defenceline alongside William Ekong, as well as Olaoluwa Aina, Oluwasemilogo Ajayi, Calvin Bassey, Zaidu Sanusi, Chidozie Awaziem, Bright Osayi-Samuel and Bruno Onyemaechi.

Wilfred Ndidi is also back in the roost after missing the World Cup qualifying matches against Lesotho and Zimbabwe, and will be expected to adequately feed the strike-force alongside Alex Iwobi, Raphael Onyedika, Joe Ayodele-Aribo and Frank Onyeka.

Musa, Nigeria’s record goalscorer at the FIFA World Cup finals with a brace each in Brazil 2014 and Russia 2018, is in the forward-line alongside Africa Player of the Year Victor Osimhen, Kelechi Iheanacho, Moses Simon, Samuel Chukwueze, Victor Boniface, Sadiq Umar and Ademola Lookman.

All the 25 players will depart from their different bases on Tuesday, 2nd January to fly into Abu Dhabi, capital city of the United Arab Emirates, for a one-week training camp that will last until Tuesday, 9th January. The team will fly back to Lagos on Tuesday 9th January, and then fly into the Ivorian capital, Abidjan on Wednesday, 10th January.

The Super Eagles, in their quest for a fourth continental title, will take on Equatorial Guinea on Sunday, 14th January in their first match of Group A, before further clashes with host nation Cote d’Ivoire (18th January) and Guinea Bissau (22nd January).

Nigeria, who will be participating in the Africa Cup of Nations for the 20th time, were champions as hosts in 1980, triumphant in Tunisia in 1994 and crowned winners in South Africa in 2013.

When Cote d’Ivoire hosted the finals in 1984, a young Nigerian squad led by the inimitable Stephen Keshi went all the way to the Final, before losing to much-experienced Indomitable Lions of Cameroon in a memorable Final at the Stade Felix Houphouet-Boigny in Abidjan.

ALL THE INVITED PLAYERS:

Goalkeepers: Stanley Nwabili (Chippa United, South Africa); Francis Uzoho (Omonia FC, Cyprus); Olorunleke Ojo (Enyimba FC)

Defenders: Olaoluwa Aina (Nottingham Forest, England); Chidozie Awaziem (Boavista FC, Portugal); Bright Osayi-Samuel (Fenerbahce FC, Turkey); William Troost-Ekong (PAOK Salonika, Greece); Bruno Onyemaechi (Boavista FC, Portugal); Kenneth Omeruo (Kasimpasa FC, Turkey); Oluwasemilogo Ajayi (West Bromwich Albion, England); Calvin Bassey (Fulham FC, England); Zaidu Sanusi (FC Porto, Portugal)

Midfielders: Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City, England); Raphael Onyedika (Club Brugge, Belgium); Joe Ayodele-Aribo (Southampton FC, England); Frank Onyeka (Brentford FC, England); Alex Iwobi (Fulham FC, England)

Forwards: Ahmed Musa (Sivasspor K, Turkey); Victor Osimhen (Napoli SC, Italy); Kelechi Iheanacho (Leicester City, England); Sadiq Umar (Real Sociedad, Spain); Moses Simon (FC Nantes, France); Ademola Lookman (Atalanta FC, Italy); Samuel Chukwueze (AC Milan, Italy); Victor Boniface (Bayer Leverkusen, Germany)
I am happy
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Peseiro Names AFCON 25 but NFF Wants 27

Post by anointed »

AFCON 2023: Peseiro, NFF clash over final Super Eagles squad
There is currently tension between the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, and the head coach of the national team, Jose Peseiro, over the final squad list for the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations.

Sources told DAILY POST that Peseiro has submitted a 25-man squad ahead of the tournament.

But the NFF is putting pressure on the 63-year-old to make it 27 players.

Peseiro, however, feels 25 players will be easier for him to manage instead of 27.

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) allows countries to name up to 27 players in their AFCON squads. But only 23 will be registered on match days.

Peseiro had clashed with the NFF over the original provisional list, submitting 40 players instead of 50 the federation wanted.

https://dailypost.ng/2023/12/28/afcon-2 ... les-squad/
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Peseiro Names AFCON 25 but NFF Wants 27

Post by anointed »

ALL THE INVITED PLAYERS:

Goalkeepers: Stanley Nwabili (Chippa United, South Africa); Francis Uzoho (Omonia FC, Cyprus); Olorunleke Ojo (Enyimba FC)

Defenders: Olaoluwa Aina (Nottingham Forest, England); Chidozie Awaziem (Boavista FC, Portugal); Bright Osayi-Samuel (Fenerbahce FC, Turkey); William Troost-Ekong (PAOK Salonika, Greece); Bruno Onyemaechi (Boavista FC, Portugal); Kenneth Omeruo (Kasimpasa FC, Turkey); Oluwasemilogo Ajayi (West Bromwich Albion, England); Calvin Bassey (Fulham FC, England); Zaidu Sanusi (FC Porto, Portugal)

Midfielders: Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City, England); Raphael Onyedika (Club Brugge, Belgium); Joe Ayodele-Aribo (Southampton FC, England); Frank Onyeka (Brentford FC, England); Alex Iwobi (Fulham FC, England)

Forwards: Ahmed Musa (Sivasspor K, Turkey); Victor Osimhen (Napoli SC, Italy); Kelechi Iheanacho (Leicester City, England); Sadiq Umar (Real Sociedad, Spain); Moses Simon (FC Nantes, France); Ademola Lookman (Atalanta FC, Italy); Samuel Chukwueze (AC Milan, Italy); Victor Boniface (Bayer Leverkusen, Germany)
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Peseiro names 25 man 2023 AFCON squad

Post by 1naija »

This is as good a list as we can get at the moment. It's his starting 11 selection and tactics that will make or break us.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

NFF COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT

Peseiro names 25 players as Super Eagles seek fourth AFCON title in Cote d’Ivoire

Three-time champions Nigeria have picked a team of 25 players for their onslaught for a fourth Africa Cup of Nations title, with Head Coach Jose Peseiro settling for usual suspects in a roster that has three goalkeepers, nine defenders, five midfielders and eight forwards.

Captain Ahmed Musa returns to the squad after he was left out of the starting games to the 2026 FIFA World Cup qualification series, while South Africa-based goalkeeper Stanley Nwabili is picked alongside Francis Uzoho and Olorunleke Ojo.

2009 U17 World Cup star Kenneth Omeruo (the only other candidate in the team apart from Musa who was in Nigeria’s 2013 squad that triumphed in South Africa) leads the defenceline alongside William Ekong, as well as Olaoluwa Aina, Oluwasemilogo Ajayi, Calvin Bassey, Zaidu Sanusi, Chidozie Awaziem, Bright Osayi-Samuel and Bruno Onyemaechi.

Wilfred Ndidi is also back in the roost after missing the World Cup qualifying matches against Lesotho and Zimbabwe, and will be expected to adequately feed the strike-force alongside Alex Iwobi, Raphael Onyedika, Joe Ayodele-Aribo and Frank Onyeka.

Musa, Nigeria’s record goalscorer at the FIFA World Cup finals with a brace each in Brazil 2014 and Russia 2018, is in the forward-line alongside Africa Player of the Year Victor Osimhen, Kelechi Iheanacho, Moses Simon, Samuel Chukwueze, Victor Boniface, Sadiq Umar and Ademola Lookman.

All the 25 players will depart from their different bases on Tuesday, 2nd January to fly into Abu Dhabi, capital city of the United Arab Emirates, for a one-week training camp that will last until Tuesday, 9th January. The team will fly back to Lagos on Tuesday 9th January, and then fly into the Ivorian capital, Abidjan on Wednesday, 10th January.

The Super Eagles, in their quest for a fourth continental title, will take on Equatorial Guinea on Sunday, 14th January in their first match of Group A, before further clashes with host nation Cote d’Ivoire (18th January) and Guinea Bissau (22nd January).

Nigeria, who will be participating in the Africa Cup of Nations for the 20th time, were champions as hosts in 1980, triumphant in Tunisia in 1994 and crowned winners in South Africa in 2013.

When Cote d’Ivoire hosted the finals in 1984, a young Nigerian squad led by the inimitable Stephen Keshi went all the way to the Final, before losing to much-experienced Indomitable Lions of Cameroon in a memorable Final at the Stade Felix Houphouet-Boigny in Abidjan.

ALL THE INVITED PLAYERS:

TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

My main issue with the list.....

Moffi over Sadiq then maybe Tella over Musa.

The goalkeepers and the midfield are a bit meh....but it's whats to be expected.

I am really shocked about Moffi.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

What are the rationales for Francis Uzoho and Ahmed Musa being on this team?
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Big shocker….NOT lol
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

No Terem Moffi, no Tyrone Ebuehi
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Musa?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

ANC wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:10 pmMusa?
E shock you abi :rotf: :rotf:

I hope we make it out of our group…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Moffi and Tella have not shown with the invitations they have gotten that they are better options than Sadiq and Musa. The coaches probably see them as a wash.
Ugbowo wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:03 pm My main issue with the list.....

The goalkeepers and the midfield are a bit meh....but it's whats to be expected.

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

If the only gripe we have with the team is Musa, then it's a great list.
ANC wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:10 pmMusa?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

anointed wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:07 pm What are the rationales for Francis Uzoho and Ahmed Musa being on this team?
Anointed,

IMHO, there are few surprises with this selection given the manager's invitations. Uzoho was always going to make the team and BTW he will be the starter for at least the first game Take that to the bank given how Managers often operate. However, the invitation of Nwabili is a clear message that Uzoho is on a short leash and i believe Uzoho knows that.

As for Ebuehi, he had very little chance to make this team and he has not shown that he belongs to a squad making it to the AFCON. Certainly not with his SE performances.

Given how players have been used, the real surprise is Moffi not making it and instead Sadiq taking his place. That is surely a surprise.

On Musa, all of us know that this is a huge surprise and this might just be a valedictory gift and agreement with Musa. That is just my thought.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

How is Moffi's omission a surprise? He has not been exceptional for the Super Eagles like he has been for his club. For me Sadiq and Moffi are 10 -15 minutes end of game sub players, and therefore do not matter which of them is selected.
Enugu II wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:24 pm
anointed wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:07 pm What are the rationales for Francis Uzoho and Ahmed Musa being on this team?
Anointed,

IMHO, there are few surprises with this selection given the manager's invitations. Uzoho was always going to make the team and BTW he will be the starter for at least the first game Take that to the bank given how Managers often operate. However, the invitation of Nwabili is a clear message that Uzoho is on a short leash and i believe Uzoho knows that.

As for Ebuehi, he had very little chance to make this team and he has not shown that he belongs to a squad making it to the AFCON. Certainly not with his SE performances.

Given how players have been used, the real surprise is Moffi not making it and instead Sadiq taking his place. That is surely a surprise.

On Musa, all of us know that this is a huge surprise and this might just be a valedictory gift and agreement with Musa. That is just my thought.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ugbowo wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:03 pm My main issue with the list.....

Ugbowo,

I think you are spot on regarding Moffi. His exclusion is a major surprise. I thought it was going to be between him and Sadiq for the spot that would have automatically gone to Awoniyi. In my view, Moffi had the edge over Sadiq going in, given Sadiq's long lay off. Thus, it is a major surprise.

As for Tella, I just do not agree with you. He certainly does not deserve getting on the squad at the moment. We could argue on Musa but even then, a better sub would not be Tella at this time. For me, Musa got in as a valedictory tournament pick, nothing more.
Last edited by Enugu II on Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Musa is going to Afcon. VE will pop a vein. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Musa is a typical story of "monkey dey work baboon dey chop", this piece of sh*t played absolutely no role in the AFCON qualifiers yet easily made the final team on the basis of quota system...man, Nigeria is truly a sorry state, I actually detest Musa but I'll hold myself from saying what i want to say.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Why on earth would Peseiro be opposed to taking an extra 2 players ? Is he footing the bill ? What an eeediot.

As for Musa. Fock his ugly #$%. I hope he tears his Achilles. Piece of shi$
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Tobi17 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:44 pm Musa is a typical story of "monkey dey work baboon dey chop", this piece of sh*t played absolutely no role in the AFCON qualifiers yet easily made the final team on the basis of quota system...man, Nigeria is truly a sorry state, I actually detest Musa but I'll hold myself from saying what i want to say.
The statement highlighted in red is absolutely false. Musa played in three qualifiers for this AFCON. Besides, he is the captain of the squad. While, I do not think that on the basis of his play that he belongs in the best 25, I fully understand that this is as valedictory tournament for someone who had dedicated service to his country.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Nigeria deserves what we will get. Taking a non bench making player to Afcon. What a joke.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

No huge surprises.

Ahmed Musa was always going to get a swan song. Don’t expect him to get much playing time.

Sadiq over Moffi be as e get, but this is Naija. And it’s no big shakes.

Would have like to see Nathan Tella in the squad. But he doesn’t bring anything we don’t already have.

Awaziem, Troost and Omeruo continue to get the call which is interesting, but I don’t expect any of them to start. And no one else has made the case to replace them.

By the way, what exactly is the story on Tosin’s clearance? He is the one player that would have made a clear difference in that defence.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija