Okonkwo open to switching nationality from England to Nigeria

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Okonkwo open to switching nationality from England to Nigeria

Post by The YeyeMan »

I've since read he's agreed to switch.

---
Arsenal youngster is contemplating switiching his nationality from England to Nigeria after he was approached by the NFF.

by Nsidibe Akpan
January 3, 2024

Arsenal goalkeeper, Arthur Okonkwo, is reportedly considering a change in his international allegiance from England to Nigeria. Despite showcasing promise at the U18 level for England, Okonkwo is eyeing the Super Eagles due to a lack of opportunities with the English national team.

At 22 years old, Okonkwo had aspired to represent the Three Lions of England but hasn’t seen that ambition materialise. With Nigeria facing challenges in their goalkeeper department following Vincent Enyeama’s retirement in 2015, Okonkwo sees an opening and is ready to explore the chance to play for Nigeria, especially with the Nigerian Portuguese head coach, Jose Peseiro showing interest in the potential switch.

The Super Eagles have struggled with goalkeeper stability since Enyeama’s departure, and the current options—Francis Uzoho, Stanley Nwabili, and Ojo Olorunleke—have not gained the full trust of Nigerian fans. Okonkwo’s potential inclusion could have offered a solution, but the discussions to finalise the arrangement are ongoing.

Currently on loan at Wrexham, competing in League Two, Okonkwo’s performances have been notable. Impressions from his previous loan spells at Crewe Alexandra and Sturm Graz have contributed to his development, prompting interest from Nigeria’s national team setup.

Despite a strong performance trajectory in senior football, Okonkwo’s international chances with England have dwindled. His last involvement with the England U18s was over four years ago, signaling a potential shift in his international allegiance.

Reports indicate that Super Eagles head coach Jose Peseiro reached out to Arthur Okonkwo in October 2023, and was hoping to have him for the AFCON, but has now settled for South African-based goalkeeper, Nwabili.

The young goalkeeper has expressed his willingness to consider representing Nigeria, and discussions between the parties are ongoing.

His remarkable performances have not gone unnoticed, earning him recognition as the most valuable player in the EFL League Two, according to Transfermarkt. His loan spells and consistent displays, tallying 52 appearances and 20 clean sheets, have significantly elevated his profile.
https://www.nowarsenal.com/latest-news/ ... o-nigeria/
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Okonkwo open to switching nationality from England to Nigeria

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

I don’t see why a switch would be required since he has never played for the England senior team🤔❗️

Cheers.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Considering? :rotf: Gtfoh! So the boy already turned Pesseiro down in October, he would likely be No 1 for SE at Afcon if he had accepted. Now he’s stuck at Wrexham with England looking far far away. I don’t know if we should call players who think they’re doing us a favor anymore. We have Okoye at Udinese playing as No 1, Ojehire at Arsenal who already came out to pledge his allegiance to Nigeria without condition and is better than Okonkwo and we still have Nwabili and Uzoho who could still pan out. I say let him wait until the WCQ are over before we even think about him.
OCCUPY NFF!!
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:54 pm I don’t see why a switch would be required since he has never played for the England senior team🤔❗️

Cheers.
:???:
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:54 pm I don’t see why a switch would be required since he has never played for the England senior team🤔❗️

Cheers.
TTTK, though I am not sure what the 'switching rule' is, but don't you think some signatures must be put on some papers to make the switching official?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:08 pm Considering? :rotf: Gtfoh! So the boy already turned Pesseiro down in October, he would likely be No 1 for SE at Afcon if he had accepted. Now he’s stuck at Wrexham with England looking far far away. I don’t know if we should call players who think they’re doing us a favor anymore. We have Okoye at Udinese playing as No 1, Ojehire at Arsenal who already came out to pledge his allegiance to Nigeria without condition and is better than Okonkwo and we still have Nwabili and Uzoho who could still pan out. I say let him wait until the WCQ are over before we even think about him.
Oh, the young man [Okonkwo] has already turned us down before? If so, he shouldn't be given a second chance at all. He needs to keep waiting for the England's chance.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

if it’s true that he already turned down Super Eagles, he can keep waiting England call up for the rest of his career.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

To be fair, he turned us down when he was trying to sort his career. I believe they was a season he served as Arsenal’s #3 and made the match day squad before going out on loan. With that said, we should make him wait for a while to see how committed he is.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

packerland wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:06 pm To be fair, he turned us down when he was trying to sort his career. I believe they was a season he served as Arsenal’s #3 and made the match day squad before going out on loan. With that said, we should make him wait for a while to see how committed he is.
No time to waste. We need to go for him while he’s still developing.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Synopsis wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:14 pm
packerland wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:06 pm To be fair, he turned us down when he was trying to sort his career. I believe they was a season he served as Arsenal’s #3 and made the match day squad before going out on loan. With that said, we should make him wait for a while to see how committed he is.
No time to waste. We need to go for him while he’s still developing.
I don’t mind making him wait but we should get him ASAP one he leaves my Arsenal. Look at all the Arsenal goal keepers that have performed elsewhere: Martinez, Leno, Fabianski, Manone, Ospina
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Odas wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:59 am

Cheers.
TTTK, though I am not sure what the 'switching rule' is, but don't you think some signatures must be put on some papers to make the switching official?
If he has never played for the senior team of any other country then no switching is required🤔❗️

Cheers.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:08 pm
Odas wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:59 am

Cheers.
If he has never played for the senior team of any other country then no switching is required🤔❗️

Cheers.
Not quite bro, look it up…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

I think he is by far the best GK available to Nigeria at the moment.

Much better than Okoye. Uzoho has not been a national team level GK for 5 years so should not even be in the conversation.

Okonkwo's invitation at the moment will attract deserved criticism though.

He has accepted to be part of Ryan Reynold's hollywood jamboree at Wrexham and while the media buzz has been good for Reynolds and Wrexham, it is the fourth division for crying out loud.

If Okokwo does not leave in the Summer (he can get a club in Spain or Portugal. Kunle Soname can hire him as a last resort), then I have no problem if he gets overlooked by the SE admin, for the moment.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

So we have 3 prospects:

1. one is STARTING in the German FIRST DIVISION
2. one is STARTING in the Italian FIRST DIVISION
3. one is STARTING in the Norwegian FIRST DIVISION

And yet, Nigerians on CE are contemplating how a DIVISION 4 player will be our first choice goalkeeper. You guys are clearly unwell. There is absolutely no other explanation for your deep attraction to lower division players, than the fact that you guys are clearly sick in the head. Tueh! :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

He should play for the U23 team.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ohenhen1 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:25 pm He should play for the U23 team.
No, he should move to Div 1. :roll:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

danfo driver wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:52 pm So we have 3 prospects:

And yet, Nigerians on CE are contemplating how a DIVISION 4 player will be our first choice goalkeeper. You guys are clearly unwell. There is absolutely no other explanation for your deep attraction to lower division players, than the fact that you guys are clearly sick in the head. Tueh! :oops:
Wooooo.. Danfo Osereeee.. Osa straight.. As sick sometimes I think you are. For me apart from Prof. Kid you are too intelligent for this bunch here. God Bless yo Yanfu Yanfu... I mean it....Cheers...
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Kingdom Osayi right now is better than Okonkwo, But goalkeepers are late bloomers.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Odas wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:05 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:08 pm Considering? :rotf: Gtfoh! So the boy already turned Pesseiro down in October, he would likely be No 1 for SE at Afcon if he had accepted. Now he’s stuck at Wrexham with England looking far far away. I don’t know if we should call players who think they’re doing us a favor anymore. We have Okoye at Udinese playing as No 1, Ojehire at Arsenal who already came out to pledge his allegiance to Nigeria without condition and is better than Okonkwo and we still have Nwabili and Uzoho who could still pan out. I say let him wait until the WCQ are over before we even think about him.
Oh, the young man [Okonkwo] has already turned us down before? If so, he shouldn't be given a second chance at all. He needs to keep waiting for the England's chance.
No he hasn’t!
Looks like people are simply interpreting the language used in the report to fuel all kinds of conjecture.
He was ‘contacted’ by Peseiro Oct last year.
He has repped England at the u18 level and is therefore registered with FIFA as English.
Even though he hasn’t played for England as a full international, he will still be required to go through certain protocols.
And even though he didn’t jump with a “Yes!”, you can’t expect him not to take his time, consult his family, his peers and his mentors to reach the right decision.

Why we dey rush the guy?
He’s a kid!
I know the kind of things I rushed into at 22 without fully weighing the consequences. We all do.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

truetalk wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:37 pm I think he is by far the best GK available to Nigeria at the moment.

Much better than Okoye. Uzoho has not been a national team level GK for 5 years so should not even be in the conversation.

Okonkwo's invitation at the moment will attract deserved criticism though.
How did you figure that one out?
Based on….?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

The YeyeMan wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:41 pm I've since read he's agreed to switch.

---
Arsenal youngster is contemplating switiching his nationality from England to Nigeria after he was approached by the NFF.

by Nsidibe Akpan
January 3, 2024

Arsenal goalkeeper, Arthur Okonkwo, is reportedly considering a change in his international allegiance from England to Nigeria. Despite showcasing promise at the U18 level for England, Okonkwo is eyeing the Super Eagles due to a lack of opportunities with the English national team.

At 22 years old, Okonkwo had aspired to represent the Three Lions of England but hasn’t seen that ambition materialise. With Nigeria facing challenges in their goalkeeper department following Vincent Enyeama’s retirement in 2015, Okonkwo sees an opening and is ready to explore the chance to play for Nigeria, especially with the Nigerian Portuguese head coach, Jose Peseiro showing interest in the potential switch.

The Super Eagles have struggled with goalkeeper stability since Enyeama’s departure, and the current options—Francis Uzoho, Stanley Nwabili, and Ojo Olorunleke—have not gained the full trust of Nigerian fans. Okonkwo’s potential inclusion could have offered a solution, but the discussions to finalise the arrangement are ongoing.

Currently on loan at Wrexham, competing in League Two, Okonkwo’s performances have been notable. Impressions from his previous loan spells at Crewe Alexandra and Sturm Graz have contributed to his development, prompting interest from Nigeria’s national team setup.

Despite a strong performance trajectory in senior football, Okonkwo’s international chances with England have dwindled. His last involvement with the England U18s was over four years ago, signaling a potential shift in his international allegiance.

Reports indicate that Super Eagles head coach Jose Peseiro reached out to Arthur Okonkwo in October 2023, and was hoping to have him for the AFCON, but has now settled for South African-based goalkeeper, Nwabili.

The young goalkeeper has expressed his willingness to consider representing Nigeria, and discussions between the parties are ongoing.

His remarkable performances have not gone unnoticed, earning him recognition as the most valuable player in the EFL League Two, according to Transfermarkt. His loan spells and consistent displays, tallying 52 appearances and 20 clean sheets, have significantly elevated his profile.
https://www.nowarsenal.com/latest-news/ ... o-nigeria/

You are still Yeyeman in 2024? :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Happy New Year bro
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

I really wonder how much they’re paying him to play in the 4th division. He could have gotten a team in a top 6 league after his loan with LASK or even moved to the English championship but chose to join Wrexham.

His motivations are either funny or his agents are very convincing.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

niyi wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:23 pm

I really wonder how much they’re paying him to play in the 4th division. He could have gotten a team in a top 6 league after his loan with LASK or even moved to the English championship but chose to join Wrexham.

His motivations are either funny or his agents are very convincing.
…..or….not good enough?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!