Mikel Obi: “Sunday Oliseh had no clue as Manager”

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Mikel Obi: “Sunday Oliseh had no clue as Manager”

Post by green4life »

maceo4 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:20 pm
olu wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:39 pm I enjoy listening to Mikel's podcasts and appreciate the behind-the-scenes insights he offers. The candor of his comments will get him likes and views, and Mikel does have every right to air his opinions. Overall, his podcast is very good, every now and then though I get the feeling that Mikel is a little eager to give a hot take to help make his mark in this new space. Comments like the ones he made about Rafa and Oliseh will get you views, but are such comments really worth it?

Regarding Oliseh, it is widely believed he had poor man management skills but was competent tactically. My initial thought is Mikel is writing off Oliseh's technical knowhow because of his poor man management skills. However, it's also possible that many of us have overrated Oliseh.

I am surprised how much he praised Keshi. Keshi seemed to be an excellent man manager and really good at communicating with players, however, I rarely felt like Keshi impacted games that much with his tactics or substitutions. Keshi started off well with the national team, but there are very few SE managers that have had so many questionable call-ups, and those strange call-ups eventually began to affect the team's performance. Mikel's comments are valid, however, keep in mind players are more likely to rate a manager that has confidence in them and empowers them.
Hmmm, Keshi that qualified lowly Togo for their first and only WC and won ANC and took us to WC round of 16 doesn’t affect games and Oliseh that’s a serial failure at coaching is tactically more sound? I swear man, we fans are something else. The ones that have been there and done it are telling you what’s what and you as an outsider think you know more even when the proof is in the pudding with their relative successes as coaches, I’m just left smh…

It just takes someone to knack some inkrish and we think they are tactically sound and will be a good coach. A coach is a man manager first and foremost, as a leader of men, if you can’t respect your players and get the boys on your side you will never succeed…
Maybe if Keshi (RIP) ran onto the pitch in an ANC QF game while battling malaria or was it typhiod fever, he would've been a better manager than Oliseh. :???:

For me, Oliseh had good tactical acumen BUT his ability to get his players AND his employers to buy into his ideas was very poor to put it lightly.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

packerland wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:30 am
kalani JR wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:08 am Sorry this accent is killing me. The co-host caught him early, he loved Keshi because he played him in the 10.
He might have loved it but Mikel playing the 10 didn’t help Nigeria. At AFCON he played strictly as a DM and we won. Then during the Confed cup Keshi started using him as an AM and we sucked. Yes, he scored against Uruguay but he didn’t gave the lungs to play that position. Mikel’s goal scoring record at Chelsea based on the number of games he played was pathetic if we are being honest.
Brosky, watching and understanding don't always go in tandem, sadly.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

green4life wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:21 pm X
Chief, i think you'd have sat this one out though. Remember they used to call you Mikel4Wife here, so I dont think you can be seeing as impartial on this matter. :taunt: :taunt: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

danfo driver wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:19 pm
Chief, i think you'd have sat this one out though. Remember they used to call you Mikel4Wife here, so I dont think you can be seeing as impartial on this matter. :taunt: :taunt: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Somehow, the mods changed my signature Mikel picture from 2013 to this classic (original) Godfather picture. That one dey pain me no be small. :thumbs:
Last edited by green4life on Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

green4life wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:23 pm
danfo driver wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:19 pm
Somehow, the mods changed Mikel's picture to my classic (original) Godfather picture. That one dey pain me no be small. :thumbs:
I tok am! I be no recognize you quickly, initially! They have to change it back! :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Mikel will have a future in doing podcasts only if it's beer parlour gists. His repeated mention of witchcraft is so vacuous. We know the same Oliseh went to see Enyeama at his home in France before this incident. We know he sought out the senior players when he was first hired. What we don't know yet is what happened and where Oliseh was coming from. It definitely wasn't that he was just crazy and started attacking them.

Clearly, Enyeama and to a lighter extent, Mikel pulled club vs country. Are they saying they've never had a coach yell at them as seasoned pros? He completely proved that Enyeama is a hotheaded maniac that has no control of his senses when stressed. He had to thunder out of the place and nobody could get a word in until he arrived in France. Talk about a light weight, this was not his first show, something happened with Siasia too, funny enough, his hothead led us to some crucial failures.

As senior players, they were experienced enough to know that working with a coach means....."working with a coach". Had Enyeama sat down after he was told to sit down having got up to speak without being recognized to do so, there could have been an opportunity for calmer heads to prevail and a discussion had at a later time. But he made it all about himself as a senior player. :roll:

Enyeama and Mikel had their own careers to worry about, Oliseh had the entire team to worry about. He was a young inexperienced coach and was doing things his own way. Our "senior boys" were not having it. Oliseh went on to coach successfully in Holland.

Lets not forget the crap shoot he also had to deal with, recall the NFF putting out screenshots of filled forms for payment as proof of payment? Players having no shoes, re-washing their jerseys for training and games? Poor accommodations? This incident was a low point, especially for Vincent Enyeama. Mikel and Enyeama showed poor judgement in dealing with change. They don't get to hire the coach.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

green4life wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:46 pm Damn. I haven't had time to frequent this forum as often as before (i'm on super eagles mode only) so I'm just now seeing this. Regardless of how you feel about Mikel, that was a massive indictment on Oliseh.

And given how Oliseh's coaching career has gone (in terms of when he's been terminated from jobs), there's more than a hint of reality on the issue of Oliseh's poor man management and overall, how he relates with his employers & stakeholders.

That said, I wouldn't say Oliseh is tactically inept. I think he difficulty is understanding how to carry his "stakeholders" along which makes his long term tenure on a job damn near mission impossible!
If all you know is tactics and can’t deal with people. Go be a pundit or assistant to a coach who can deal with people but doesn’t want to deal with tactics. Coaching is first and foremost about carrying people along. Tactics is second. Mikel didn’t call him the most tactically inept, he called him the most clueless. And if you’re a coach that doesn’t realize something as fundamental as the people part is the most important aspect of the job, you are indeed clueless
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

amafolas wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:58 pm
green4life wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:46 pm Damn. I haven't had time to frequent this forum as often as before (i'm on super eagles mode only) so I'm just now seeing this. Regardless of how you feel about Mikel, that was a massive indictment on Oliseh.

And given how Oliseh's coaching career has gone (in terms of when he's been terminated from jobs), there's more than a hint of reality on the issue of Oliseh's poor man management and overall, how he relates with his employers & stakeholders.

That said, I wouldn't say Oliseh is tactically inept. I think he difficulty is understanding how to carry his "stakeholders" along which makes his long term tenure on a job damn near mission impossible!
If all you know is tactics and can’t deal with people. Go be a pundit or assistant to a coach who can deal with people but doesn’t want to deal with tactics. Coaching is first and foremost about carrying people along. Tactics is second. Mikel didn’t call him the most tactically inept, he called him the most clueless. And if you’re a coach that doesn’t realize something as fundamental as the people part is the most important aspect of the job, you are indeed clueless
KPOM! What Mikel said can be seen in his poor coaching career, he is saying the obvious and even compared him to Gary Neville, someone who can talk about the game but doesn’t have it when it comes to coaching. It just is what it is, proof is in the pudding, there’s nothing to even argue about here…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

off your mic, brother. They want us to forget the facts, as they continue to rewrite history. Thank God most of us are old enough and were following the story live, as it unfolded.

As for your highligted, Enyeama has always been a swine and a maniac. We all remember what Lille did to him and how his career ended. Bielsa even said he didnt want to see his face anywhere near the training ground, and Enyeama was made to train with the youth team, out of the sight of Bielsa.

His career in Nigeria and France ended the same way for a reason. Enyeama was unable to work with people and was duly kicked out!
felarey wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:48 pm Mikel will have a future in doing podcasts only if it's beer parlour gists. His repeated mention of witchcraft is so vacuous. We know the same Oliseh went to see Enyeama at his home in France before this incident. We know he sought out the senior players when he was first hired. What we don't know yet is what happened and where Oliseh was coming from. It definitely wasn't that he was just crazy and started attacking them.

Clearly, Enyeama and to a lighter extent, Mikel pulled club vs country. Are they saying they've never had a coach yell at them as seasoned pros? He completely proved that Enyeama is a hotheaded maniac that has no control of his senses when stressed. He had to thunder out of the place and nobody could get a word in until he arrived in France. Talk about a light weight, this was not his first show, something happened with Siasia too, funny enough, his hothead led us to some crucial failures.

As senior players, they were experienced enough to know that working with a coach means....."working with a coach". Had Enyeama sat down after he was told to sit down having got up to speak without being recognized to do so, there could have been an opportunity for calmer heads to prevail and a discussion had at a later time. But he made it all about himself as a senior player. :roll:

Enyeama and Mikel had their own careers to worry about, Oliseh had the entire team to worry about. He was a young inexperienced coach and was doing things his own way. Our "senior boys" were not having it. Oliseh went on to coach successfully in Holland.

Lets not forget the crap shoot he also had to deal with, recall the NFF putting out screenshots of filled forms for payment as proof of payment? Players having no shoes, re-washing their jerseys for training and games? Poor accommodations? This incident was a low point, especially for Vincent Enyeama. Mikel and Enyeama showed poor judgement in dealing with change. They don't get to hire the coach.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Bielsa’s attitude towards me in Lille was terrible – Enyeama
11th January 2019

Former Super Eagles captain Vincent Enyeama has revealed the circumstances that led to his exit at French club OSC Lille, saying the club’s former coach Marcelo Bielsa didn’t like him.

The 36-year-old left the club in August 2018 by mutual agreement after seven years, during which he appeared 118 times in Ligue 1.

After the exit of former coach Rene Girard, who made him the club’s first choice in 2013, Enyeama ran into problem with Bielsa, who was named coach of the club in May 2017.

https://punchng.com/bielsas-attitude-to ... e-enyeama/
yes, your career in the national team ended because the coach did not like you. Your career at lille ended because the coach did not like you. It is always about others not liking you. Why didnt they like you? Because you are an ego maniac and a swine! You cant work with other people and people dont want to work with you. No wonder he failed after he left Lille and since then, o one wants him near their team. :oops: :oops:
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

maceo4 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:31 pm
azuka wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:17 pm
Enyi wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:24 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:49 am
Tbite wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:57 am Mikel Obi might just end up being the single best thing to happen to Nigerian football.

Oliseh on the other hand has done more harm to Nigerian football than good. His exploits in the 90s does not make up for the damage he has done of late. Breaking up the team, affecting our performances, and denying us 3-5 good years of our GOAT.

Mikel has plans to shake things up in the NFF. That is what you call net positive.

Not some of these so called lame #$% legends, they do one or two good things for the country and then because of that they think they are entitled to doing 3-5 bad things.

Mikel is not just sitting on an arm chair rubbishing people. He actually plans to put his money where his mouth is for positive change. Oliseh is a very negative human being.

Thank you for that rocket against Spain, but....the damage you have been doing to our football lately is simply too much. More power to Mikel. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Oliseh is not perfect, he has his temper issues. But he has done a lot for Nigeria. He has won Afcon and an Olympic gold medal for Nigeria. The NFF kicked Oliseh of the team in 2002 because he fought for player rights. The same way they kicked Enyeama off the team because Enyeama wanted to stand up to the NFF. You don't know what you are talking about.
Ohenhen thank you so much for this!

Oliseh’s career both as a player and a coach speaks for itself. I believe that he is the best coach internationally that Nigeria has ever produced. Can’t think of anyone else.

Likes of Late Keshi, Kate Amodu even Siasia had better coaching careers in the national team but not internationally….

The podcast actually says a lot about Mikel than anyone else…

Oliseh has a poor poor man management issue not so much anger but relations . He is very confrontational as a person but nice to chill with.

He came into the NFF and national team on the mandate to clear house, set things straight and he overdid things….that does not deserve castigation by anyone let alone Mikel

Mikel had a great career but let’s not make it out like he was the Nigerian Messi…. He had the potential to be but wasted it the day he picked Chelsea and Money over United and Ferguson.

You can call ur friends and co to ur podcast but once u start swearing and castigating ppl, others will think hard before they turn up….

The smart move would have been to invite Oliseh and politely interview him and thrash out their differences on air that would have elevated his podcast.

Btw to my ex-wife (danfo driver) I will keep ignoring you. Stop seeking attention by mentioning my name in ur posts….insults incoming
The bold is the best comment so far on these pages on this matter. It's either of 2 things. It's either pride on Mikel's part or the desire to be controversial and thus sell his podcasts literally speaking. Whichever it is though, it does not paint Mikel in a good light.

Which basically points to one basic flaws. We all have our flaws as humans. We are not perfect. Just like Oliseh. Just like Mikel. We are who we are.
Enough said.
So it’s now a flaw to speak one’s mind? Ok o 😂😂😂 Unless you are saying he doesn’t actually feel that way and is playing it up, but how would you know that? Have you seen him contradict his stance on Oliseh before?

It is a flaw actually….

It’s Mikel’s opinion and sure someone else will have another.

Just imagine Mikel saying that Benitez is a bad coach really,

Say ur truth but do not character Assassinate other people for the sake of views, when the dust settles, the only paint will be on ur face….

Mikel did not have the footballing career that Oliseh had nor the coaching career that Benitez or Oliseh had…

I say seen SEVERAL top 10 footballers from African…Kanu and JJ makes it every time…NO ONE mentions Mikel.

Mikel was a bit part player at Chelsea….

Oliseh played for Ajax, Juve, Dortmund when it was not easy for a black African player to be picked…

I love Mikel as a person but he will find that the best performing Podcasts spill beans but in a smart way and bloody stop the swearing….
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

The only flaw Oliseh has is an inability to work with unscrupulous employers and that has nothing to do with coaching. Agreeing with a soccer pro about being yelled at is like sympathizing with a pornstar complaining of being grabbed. Oliseh shares the podium with Arsene Wenger and Klinsman on tactics, I bet he has a clue.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

The contrast in styles between Keshi and Oliseh as described by Mikel is striking. Mikel and Keshi were not always on the same page but there was mutual respect and they kept it private. Keshi was able to get more out of Mikel and the team. Oliseh on the other hand was confrontational in his approach to the team leaders. Unless you have much better players to replace them with, that' is never a good idea. As someone said earlier, it was tantamount to cutting your nose to spite your face. I do like Oliseh actually and he is one my favorite SE players. I still remember that goal he scored against Spain in the world cup. Some of the most brilliant people are not the best teachers.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Bielsa alias “ El loco”, kicked out all Lille senior players and not just Enyeama, and how did it end up for Bielsa? He was kicked out of Lille and had a protracted court case with the club.
Today, Enyeama is a legend in Lille while Bielsa is a “persona non grata” at Lille.
Whatever anyone says about Enyeama, it cannot take away the fact that he’s Nigeria’s best ever goalkeeper!
I am happy
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

felarey wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:03 pm

The only flaw Oliseh has is an inability to work with unscrupulous employers and that has nothing to do with coaching. Agreeing with a soccer pro about being yelled at is like sympathizing with a pornstar complaining of being grabbed. Oliseh shares the podium with Arsene Wenger and Klinsman on tactics, I bet he has a clue.
Thats what Nigerians are unable to wrap their head around. :lol: :lol: Those of us who are incorruptible and have the highest level of integrity understand him.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

danfo driver wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:20 pm

Thats what Nigerians are unable to wrap their head around. :lol: :lol: Those of us who are incorruptible and have the highest level of integrity understand him.
For me, Felarey captured it perfectly. That's exactly the way I see it. Oliseh is someone I can trust 100%, I don't know about the other guys.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enyi wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:59 pm
maceo4 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:31 pm
azuka wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:17 pm
Enyi wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:24 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:49 am
Tbite wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:57 am Mikel Obi might just end up being the single best thing to happen to Nigerian football.

Oliseh on the other hand has done more harm to Nigerian football than good. His exploits in the 90s does not make up for the damage he has done of late. Breaking up the team, affecting our performances, and denying us 3-5 good years of our GOAT.

Mikel has plans to shake things up in the NFF. That is what you call net positive.

Not some of these so called lame #$% legends, they do one or two good things for the country and then because of that they think they are entitled to doing 3-5 bad things.

Mikel is not just sitting on an arm chair rubbishing people. He actually plans to put his money where his mouth is for positive change. Oliseh is a very negative human being.

Thank you for that rocket against Spain, but....the damage you have been doing to our football lately is simply too much. More power to Mikel. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Oliseh is not perfect, he has his temper issues. But he has done a lot for Nigeria. He has won Afcon and an Olympic gold medal for Nigeria. The NFF kicked Oliseh of the team in 2002 because he fought for player rights. The same way they kicked Enyeama off the team because Enyeama wanted to stand up to the NFF. You don't know what you are talking about.
Ohenhen thank you so much for this!

Oliseh’s career both as a player and a coach speaks for itself. I believe that he is the best coach internationally that Nigeria has ever produced. Can’t think of anyone else.

Likes of Late Keshi, Kate Amodu even Siasia had better coaching careers in the national team but not internationally….

The podcast actually says a lot about Mikel than anyone else…

Oliseh has a poor poor man management issue not so much anger but relations . He is very confrontational as a person but nice to chill with.

He came into the NFF and national team on the mandate to clear house, set things straight and he overdid things….that does not deserve castigation by anyone let alone Mikel

Mikel had a great career but let’s not make it out like he was the Nigerian Messi…. He had the potential to be but wasted it the day he picked Chelsea and Money over United and Ferguson.

You can call ur friends and co to ur podcast but once u start swearing and castigating ppl, others will think hard before they turn up….

The smart move would have been to invite Oliseh and politely interview him and thrash out their differences on air that would have elevated his podcast.

Btw to my ex-wife (danfo driver) I will keep ignoring you. Stop seeking attention by mentioning my name in ur posts….insults incoming
The bold is the best comment so far on these pages on this matter. It's either of 2 things. It's either pride on Mikel's part or the desire to be controversial and thus sell his podcasts literally speaking. Whichever it is though, it does not paint Mikel in a good light.

Which basically points to one basic flaws. We all have our flaws as humans. We are not perfect. Just like Oliseh. Just like Mikel. We are who we are.
Enough said.
So it’s now a flaw to speak one’s mind? Ok o 😂😂😂 Unless you are saying he doesn’t actually feel that way and is playing it up, but how would you know that? Have you seen him contradict his stance on Oliseh before?

It is a flaw actually….

It’s Mikel’s opinion and sure someone else will have another.

Just imagine Mikel saying that Benitez is a bad coach really,

Say ur truth but do not character Assassinate other people for the sake of views, when the dust settles, the only paint will be on ur face….

Mikel did not have the footballing career that Oliseh had nor the coaching career that Benitez or Oliseh had…

I say seen SEVERAL top 10 footballers from African…Kanu and JJ makes it every time…NO ONE mentions Mikel.

Mikel was a bit part player at Chelsea….

Oliseh played for Ajax, Juve, Dortmund when it was not easy for a black African player to be picked…

I love Mikel as a person but he will find that the best performing Podcasts spill beans but in a smart way and bloody stop the swearing….
The same Oliseh speaks his mind and picked Ndidi over Mikel and wasn’t afraid to speak his mind and see he doesn’t like Mikel’s game. Now Mikel says I don’t like your coaching skills and it’s a problem. But which one is actually rooted in reality and which is pure hate? Who in their right mind would pick an Ndidi over Mikel? That’s pure hate because of their brouhaha, however Mikel’s is a hundred percent accurate as Oliseh has only shown to be a poor manager and people now only employ him to speak and be a pundit but no one would dare look to him for a management position because like Mikel said ‘hes sheet’ at it 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

felarey wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:48 pm Mikel will have a future in doing podcasts only if it's beer parlour gists. His repeated mention of witchcraft is so vacuous. We know the same Oliseh went to see Enyeama at his home in France before this incident. We know he sought out the senior players when he was first hired. What we don't know yet is what happened and where Oliseh was coming from. It definitely wasn't that he was just crazy and started attacking them.

All these “we know Oliseh” did this and that…What exactly are all these your “we knows” based on??

Clearly, the two other main characters in this saga dispute Oliseh’s version of events. One disputed it so much, he retired. If all the things you claim “we know” are true, no way Mikel does this podcast or Enyeama retires when he did. If Mikel was in the baseless slander business, who best to slander than one who can no longer defend himself (Keshi)? It should give you the indication that he’s likely telling the truth
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Felarey,

Oliseh would not even glorify himself as you have done here. Perhaps, you need to read his book. I have a copy. His personality is front and center in it. His book, his authorship. Any one reading it will come off knowing his ego is HUGE. That is unmistakable. That he will have these squabbles are not surprising. There will be plenty others in the future and you can bet on it.

Now mentioning Enyeama and his own character cannot be disputed either. But how about Mikel? What about him?

Look, Oliseh was fortunate to become Nigeria's manager. You need to learn how it happened. He owed much of that to VP Akinwunmi but yet what others feared eventually occurred and it will happen again in the future. You can bet on it. Perhaps, there will be further excuses after that.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

coaching is not primarily about being a tactician. anyone that thinks that is indeed clueless about coaching
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

YemiBrazil wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:26 pm
danfo driver wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:20 pm

For me, Felarey captured it perfectly. That's exactly the way I see it. Oliseh is someone I can trust 100%, I don't know about the other guys.
you guys are still getting it wrong. The most important and fundamental skillset needed for coaching is people skills. it's not being incorruptible, it's not having structure, it's not knowing tactic. Coaching is the wrong career for the personality of Oliseh. It just is. he is combative, overly concerned with doing the right/correct thing, and most important doesn't innately get people. Soccer administration might be a better fit, but even then he will still need to work on his people skills. But its not as important there as it is in coaching. It is not a knock on him or his achievements. Coaching isn't for everybody. As is, his people skills won't work even in purely technical administrative role in nigeria. His personality would be a better fit in a place like Holland or Germany more so than a place like Italy or Nigeria where people are friendlier but less concerned with rules/right thing. I won't be shocked if his permanent home is one of those earlier countries I listed.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Naija fan wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:05 pm The contrast in styles between Keshi and Oliseh as described by Mikel is striking. Mikel and Keshi were not always on the same page but there was mutual respect and they kept it private. Keshi was able to get more out of Mikel and the team. Oliseh on the other hand was confrontational in his approach to the team leaders. Unless you have much better players to replace them with, that' is never a good idea. As someone said earlier, it was tantamount to cutting your nose to spite your face. I do like Oliseh actually and he is one my favorite SE players. I still remember that goal he scored against Spain in the world cup. Some of the most brilliant people are not the best teachers.
Oliseh could work as a coach, but he will need lots and lots of self-awareness and learning things that are not natural to him for him to be successful at it. Or he could just go take up a role that's better suited to his intellect and personality. That job is not coaching. Something more like being part of a technical committee that is thinking about how to shape the game the right way.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

amafolas wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:11 pm
Naija fan wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:05 pm The contrast in styles between Keshi and Oliseh as described by Mikel is striking. Mikel and Keshi were not always on the same page but there was mutual respect and they kept it private. Keshi was able to get more out of Mikel and the team. Oliseh on the other hand was confrontational in his approach to the team leaders. Unless you have much better players to replace them with, that' is never a good idea. As someone said earlier, it was tantamount to cutting your nose to spite your face. I do like Oliseh actually and he is one my favorite SE players. I still remember that goal he scored against Spain in the world cup. Some of the most brilliant people are not the best teachers.
Oliseh could work as a coach, but he will need lots and lots of self-awareness and learning things that are not natural to him for him to be successful at it. Or he could just go take up a role that's better suited to his intellect and personality. That job is not coaching. Something more like being part of a technical committee that is thinking about how to shape the game the right way.
Bros, you are wasting your time. Some people will never get it because they are too obtuse.
I once had a Professor who had 4 PhDs. Smart fella but he couldn't teach or impart knowledge. And he was teaching a class that was filled with people who got academic grants/scholarships. It took a group of us to go to the Dean and complain. He was immediately relieved of his duties and went back to research and publishing. It wasn't that he wasn't smart... he just didn't know how to teach people.

Oliseh by his own admission, is a difficult person. It is not about not being able to deal with unscrupulous people. It is him!
He should be on TV or teaching coaches in some certificate program.

But as far as coaching? Naaaaa, not his calling.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!