10 observations I would like to make from this game

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
10 observations I would like to make from this game

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] First of all, I liked the 4-3-3 formation. At least the team had balance

[2] Our line-up was however whack. For starters, Ekong and Ajayi lack the pace to be a cohesive central defensive partnership. I would have gone with Awaziem and Bassey

[3] Our fullbacks did not provide enough width and crosses. Personally, I would have gone for Osayi-Samuel and Onyemaechi

[4] Frank Onyeka was at fault for the goal we conceded. Is he up to the role of anchorman?

[5] We are desperately lacking a playmaker. Were I in Peseiro’s shoes, I would move heaven an earth to get Michael Olise

[6] Victor Osimhen let the side down today with his misses

[7] Nwaubali provided confidence in goal. I think the goalkeeping matter is now resolved

[8] Had Simon Moses had a good game, we would probably have scored three or four today

[9] I think Alhassan Yusuf has the potential to be an ideal box-to-box midfielder

[10] Even if we win this tournament, Jose Peseiro has to go. He lacks the tactical nouse to take us to the Promised Land!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: 10 observations I would like to make from this game

Post by ohenhen1 »

It is one game. Let's see what they will do against Ivory Coast. And you know the Ivorians will be up for the game. Nwabill was not tested today.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
davidbam14
Egg
Egg

Post by davidbam14 »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:53 pm It is one game. Let's see what they will do against Ivory Coast. And you know the Ivorians will be up for the game. Nwabill was not tested today.
I agree, Nwabili wasn't tested.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Point 5 is a legacy from Rohr's day's. Lookman is the only bonafide crosser of the ball. Without a creative playmaker, our wing play isn't fully optimised...

I would look for a HB player who has the physicality and guile to play the role. Most of our FB players don't cut it on the African stage (Iwobi and Aribo included)
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Maybe I was the only one who noticed it but Osimhen kept making some brilliant runs but alas, nobody could pick him out with passes. If we had an Okocha on the pitch today, Osimhen would easily have scored a hat trick!
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:50 pm Maybe I was the only one who noticed it but Osimhen kept making some brilliant runs but alas, nobody could pick him out with passes. If we had an Okocha on the pitch today, Osimhen would easily have scored a hat trick!
Osimhen, plays on the shoulder of the last defenders and will always use his pace to gain a couple of yards on any defender. He needs the ball played into space and the timing has to be perfect, in order not to be caught offside.

Most of our build up play is slow and predictable and we don't have anyone with JJ's passing rang and football IQ to execute the pass. Lookman is the only key we have to exploit Osimhen's ariel prowess. Chukweze and Simon are ball huggers and they will need to get the ball a lot faster to push up into dangerous areas.

Let's see how the boy's pick up in the next game.