Pissierro is a good coach

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

icee
Egg
Egg
Re: Pissierro is a good coach

Post by icee »

ugly boy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:21 pm I said this before they started winning
So did I. I did an analysis after our last loss when people where calling for Pisero's sack, went to review 5 games and saw the the pattern he was trying to establish but wasn't clicking yet. I had shared about how many shots we have and how few shots the opposition had. This trend had started pre Afcon, except that then, one or two shots, the opposition scores. I then said that Pisero's verdict will hinge on his decision to get off Uzuoho or not and how he plans to integrate either Ekong or Bassey.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

ugly boy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:21 pm I said this before they started winning
So did I.

I noted even our first 2 friendlies vs Mexico and Ecuador we played well, just missed easy chances.

But the anti foreign coach brigade wanted him fired for losing friendlies.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Success has many lovers.
The game that showed me we had something was against the Saudis who we battered. It’s also when our ability to miss easy chances started.
But to say I saw him as a good coach would be stretching it. He’s won me over when I watched us live against CIV
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

packerland wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:27 pm
You want credit? 😂 you should know CE is more interested in people whose predictions failed. The pie eaters.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Wha choo looking at?!
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

i have come to accept Passeiro is a very good coach
- understands people and team-building. check
- understands how to craft formation to talent. check
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Look at them... falling over themselves to love the white man more than the other because of 2 great games and 1 good game in 1 year.

"I love him! No, I love him more than you! No! it is me who first loved him! No, I first loved him before you first loved him." :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

So shameless. The black man never fails to humiliate himself for his white master, Tueh! :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

amafolas wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:06 pm i have come to accept Passeiro is a very good coach
- understands people and team-building. check
- understands how to craft formation to talent. check
No he is NOT. he is a below average coach who has failed repeatedly over a 20 years period. FACT! You do not fail in 20 years and then succeed in 1 week and then be called a good coach. Who are you kidding?

Pesseiro should be thanking the Super Eagles for helping his career. When he left Venezuela, no one wanted him. His career was dead! Pinnick went to Mourinho to beg a white man to get him a coach. Mourinho then went through his phone log to call his close friend to give his close friend a job, because no one would touch his close friend. That is how Pesseiro came to Nigeria. He should thank God, Mourinho and the Super Eagles for giving his dead career a lifeline. FACT! It is NOT Nigeria who should be thanking him. How may coaches can have a dead career, and then be so lucky to have one of the 3 best strikers in the world on your team?

Even yesterday, his former Youth team coach out-coached him.

Do I want him kept - ABSOLUTELY YES!! He has done enough as stipulated in his contract and he has also built a unit and strong foundation from which i hope he can grow. I know that if he is fired/gone, we will probably hire a horrible replacement and start afresh, and frankly, that is complete i4iocy! So lets just stick with him, and I hope to God he has learned his lesson and is more flexible with scouting players and work on some of his tactical winkles.

He will never be a great coach and a lot of times we will need some luck to help us cover his deficiencies, especially when we play against European teams who have better coaches that can easy outthink him. But I think knowing full well that the NFF will destroy everything if he goes, lets just stick with him and continue to build.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

I’m still not convinced about pissypissy
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

danfo driver wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:08 pm Look at them... falling over themselves to love the white man more than the other because of 2 great games and 1 good game in 1 year.

"I love him! No, I love him more than you! No! it is me who first loved him! No, I first loved him before you first loved him." :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

So shameless. The black man never fails to humiliate himself for his white master, Tueh! :oops:
Danfo

You have a point and one that people should heed. Often we conclude someone is good or bad based on one or extremely small sample. No research worth its salt would ever do that. Such conclusions about good or bad requires a reasonable sample. The fact is that the jury is still out on Peseiro. Let him win first before we can begin to reach such conclusions. What we know and can give him credit for is utilizing his personnel well and making strategically effective team formation change. No one here on CE, inspite of our claims of knowing this or that, went as far of even thinking of the formation that Pesriro has utilized effectively. That much he should get credit for. But being a great coach? Naaa, the jury is still out on that one.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
sarkin doya
Egg
Egg

Post by sarkin doya »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:03 pm
danfo driver wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:08 pm Look at them... falling over themselves to love the white man more than the other because of 2 great games and 1 good game in 1 year.

Danfo

You have a point and one that people should heed. Often we conclude someone is good or bad based on one or extremely small sample. No research worth its salt would ever do that. Such conclusions about good or bad requires a reasonable sample. The fact is that the jury is still out on Peseiro. Let him win first before we can begin to reach such conclusions. What we know and can give him credit for is utilizing his personnel well and making strategically effective team formation change. No one here on CE, inspite of our claims of knowing this or that, went as far of even thinking of the formation that Pesriro has utilized effectively. That much he should get credit for. But being a great coach? Naaa, the jury is still out on that one.
Enugu II - you raise a good point about reaching conclusions on small sample data. I have another point. The criteria that people use to classify someone as a good or bad coach differ. Some people, if the team plays attractive soccer, will use that criteria. Others if they see cohesive team play will say that's the sign of a good coach. Others use criteria of how many new players were integrated into the team.

For me, while all these criteria are good, I really only use one criteria as the most important of all of them - the results. For Afcon, i think if a team makes it to the Semi, then both coach and the players are to be credited. There are no small teams and this is no small achievement.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

its not just about results. it's the way he explains the importance of team dynamics, and stands his grounds on that.
He understands tourney football. It's first and foremost about not conceding in order to give yourself a chance at winning. He came up with a 3-4-3 that makes us defensively solid. that's a system new to us completely, and yet fit key personnel like a glove. That tells me he understands his player, he understands the objective and he understands tactics enough that he can figure out how to merge the two. And he's able to teach that to players in such short amount of time, and got the bought in.
Ultimately, coaches are judged by results. If he did all the above well, but was still losing, I won't endorse him.

If he was black, yellow or purple, if i saw the above in any coach, I will call them good. Heck Mikel Arteta, my arsenal coach, is not this good at fitting system to players. but then club coaches can afford to buy players that fit their system. National coaches have to work with that they have.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

amafolas wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:19 pm

its not just about results. it's the way he explains the importance of team dynamics, and stands his grounds on that.
He understands tourney football. It's first and foremost about not conceding in order to give yourself a chance at winning.
Please explain this better. He has been coaching for 32 years (since 1992), could you list the tournaments he has won? I presume that someone who "understands tourney football," and has probably competed in more than 60 tournaments in 32 years would have won at least 50% of those right?

He came up with a 3-4-3 that makes us defensively solid. that's a system new to us completely, and yet fit key personnel like a glove. That tells me he understands his player, he understands the objective and he understands tactics enough that he can figure out how to merge the two. And he's able to teach that to players in such short amount of time, and got the bought in.
Ultimately, coaches are judged by results. If he did all the above well, but was still losing, I won't endorse him.
I wont deny him credit for this.
If he was black, yellow or purple, if i saw the above in any coach, I will call them good. Heck Mikel Arteta, my arsenal coach, is not this good at fitting system to players. but then club coaches can afford to buy players that fit their system. National coaches have to work with that they have.
You are responding to my "wrong post." I made two posts. The one you responded to was about CE members falling over themselves to love a white man. You have people in their 40s and 50s competing for "who loved him first" and "when did you start loving him?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

My second post, which i think fits your response more, has to do with the fact that he is a below average coach. You cant get passed that. He ahs coached for 32 years and has failed repeatedly and in fact, he failed so badly in his last job that his career was dead! His friend then helped him to get the Nigeria job, where he continued to fail for one year, until 1.5 weeks ago, when he won one fantastic game and then stunk it up against G.Bissau, and then won another amazing game and then was average again against Angola, where his former youth coach outcoached him.

My point is that he is below average and he should thank us for helping revive his career. Should we keep him? Yes. I know the type of FA we have and I know what they will do to us if he was to leave.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

highbury wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:31 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:19 pm By the way it's not that Pesseiro or any of these coaches are "good"

But he is definately serviceable.

If he gets rid of his stupid ideas

442, Uzoho,

And is more proactive in scouting for new players and dropping garbage ones.
It is astounding how you bend over backwards to defend an Oyinbo coach who isn't delivering, yet you afford no grace to an indigenous coach. Which leads me to this question, are you ethnically Nigerian? The preponderance of evidence suggests that you lived in Nigeria and like SE but you are not ethnically Nigerian. You can't be. I doubt you will be honest to admit it.
Is all of such necessary? Do you have to attack or insult others for stating their opinion(s)?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:29 pm
amafolas wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:19 pm

He understands tourney football. It's first and foremost about not conceding in order to give yourself a chance at winning.
Please explain this better. He has been coaching for 32 years (since 1992), could you list the tournaments he has won? I presume that someone who "understands tourney football," and has probably competed in more than 60 tournaments in 32 years would have won at least 50% of those right?

He came up with a 3-4-3 that makes us defensively solid. that's a system new to us completely, and yet fit key personnel like a glove. That tells me he understands his player, he understands the objective and he understands tactics enough that he can figure out how to merge the two. And he's able to teach that to players in such short amount of time, and got the bought in.
I wont deny him credit for this.
You are responding to my "wrong post." I made two posts. The one you responded to was about CE members falling over themselves to love a white man. You have people in their 40s and 50s competing for "who loved him first" and "when did you start loving him?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

My second post, which i think fits your response more, has to do with the fact that he is a below average coach. You cant get passed that. He ahs coached for 32 years and has failed repeatedly and in fact, he failed so badly in his last job that his career was dead! His friend then helped him to get the Nigeria job, where he continued to fail for one year, until 1.5 weeks ago, when he won one fantastic game and then stunk it up against G.Bissau, and then won another amazing game and then was average again against Angola, where his former youth coach outcoached him.

My point is that he is below average and he should thank us for helping revive his career. Should we keep him? Yes. I know the type of FA we have and I know what they will do to us if he was to leave.
I don't know his coaching history. I haven't followed him long enough. Maybe he has always had those fundamental attributes I'm praising, but didn't have a team with the talent. Maybe he didn't and he just recently added. I am judging solely based on his utterances, approach and results for Nigeria. I was kinda against him when we kept getting silly results in friendlies and a qualifers. I listened to him talk, and did a a wait-and-see. I am seeing how his approach is translating to the field when it really matters. so i'm praising him for it.

when fans speak, they think of National team primarily from the angle of did we call up the right players. Coaches think of of how do I build a functional cohesive team that play hard for each other. I immediately dismiss a coach that that doesn't see this as important at a core level (Oliseh, I am looking at you). This current team still needs lots of work on their attacking patterns. I think i see early signs of what the coach is trying to do there (unlike Vogts), but it will need more time with the same players for it come together well. But so far, the coach has a defensive solidity in place that still sorta create just enough half chances that you can hope to score 1 or 2 to nick a game. That's good international tourney football

at the end of the day, coaching is a results business. Even if you have all the underlying attributes needed to be a good coach if you don't win, you're a poor coach.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

amafolas wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:47 pm I don't know his coaching history. I haven't followed him long enough.
So how can you confidently say "he understand tourney football?" You do not know someone's coaching history, but know he understands tourney football? How do you reconcile that oxymoron, please?
I am judging solely based on his utterances, approach and results for Nigeria. I was kinda against him when we kept getting silly results in friendlies and a qualifers. I listened to him talk, and did a a wait-and-see. I am seeing how his approach is translating to the field when it really matters. so i'm praising him for it.
Do you actually know his results for Nigeria? He has coached us for 1 year. Could you please explain this? Are you commenting based on the 1 year of results or the results from the last 2 weeks?
But so far, the coach has a defensive solidity in place that still sorta create just enough half chances that you can hope to score 1 or 2 to nick a game. That's good international tourney football
So, to be certain, you are saying IN THIS TOURNEY, AND THIS TOURNEY ALONE, he has shown that he "understands AFCON 2023* tourney football?" If thats the case, I am more inclined to accept your comment.
at the end of the day, coaching is a results business. Even if you have all the underlying attributes needed to be a good coach if you don't win, you're a poor coach.
I agree. So are you saying he is a poor coach, since he was abysmal and kep failing to win games against G.Bissau, Lesotho, Zimbabwe, Saudi, Mozambique, Guinea, EQG?
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:08 pm
amafolas wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:47 pm I don't know his coaching history. I haven't followed him long enough.
So how can you confidently say "he understand tourney football?" You do not know someone's coaching history, but know he understands tourney football? How do you reconcile that oxymoron, please?
I am judging solely based on his utterances, approach and results for Nigeria. I was kinda against him when we kept getting silly results in friendlies and a qualifers. I listened to him talk, and did a a wait-and-see. I am seeing how his approach is translating to the field when it really matters. so i'm praising him for it.
Do you actually know his results for Nigeria? He has coached us for 1 year. Could you please explain this? Are you commenting based on the 1 year of results or the results from the last 2 weeks?
But so far, the coach has a defensive solidity in place that still sorta create just enough half chances that you can hope to score 1 or 2 to nick a game. That's good international tourney football
So, to be certain, you are saying IN THIS TOURNEY, AND THIS TOURNEY ALONE, he has shown that he "understands AFCON 2023* tourney football?" If thats the case, I am more inclined to accept your comment.

I agree. So are you saying he is a poor coach, since he was abysmal and kep failing to win games against G.Bissau, Lesotho, Zimbabwe, Saudi, Mozambique, Guinea, EQG?

Nope , I do not care about the other things losing friendlies or qualifiers as long as he qualifies for tourneys (World Cup, ANC) and he is able to perform at those tourneys when he gets there. I was wary prior to the tournament, he had some high scoring wins, but some weird losses, but he kept explaining what he was trying to do. I would listen to his interviews, watch some friendlies, get frustrated. Then we get to the tourney itself, and what he is doing starts to become clear to me. I watch his matches, and i see a coherence between what he's talking about and what I am seeing on the field.
So I have gone from wth is this coach up to. And I'm now in the camp of he has an idea of what he is doing, he understands some fundamental things about coaching (which if he has been coaching for 32 years like you said, he should). He's able to fashion a style that meets the players he has, the challenge he faces. that's a mark of a coach who has good fundamental attributes (which all other things being equal tends to lead to good results). I am not as worried about losing individual matches here and there, as long as we making progress towards the goals that actually matter.

Overall, you make good points, but we fundamentally see and approach things differently. i see general patterns and trends whereas you seem to rely on details and specificity. just different personalities. Different but both appropriate ways to see the world. But it's going to make understanding each other very difficult. I would not come across as being specific enough for you and would therefore seem like my points are not valid, and you will come across to me as being too specific that you are missing my point. For instance, that point "this tournament and this tournament alone" makes sense to you to emphasize that, it is absolutely irrelevant to the point im trying to make from my perspective. So i wouldn't even begin to know how to address that for you. It is unlikely this conversation will be fruitful if I continue it. Because you are going to drag it in a direction that's natural for you but isn't natural or preferred for me. So I will just leave it there.