Peseiro clarifies Sadiq’s medical diagnosis

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Peseiro clarifies Sadiq’s medical diagnosis

Post by Dammy »

The Umar Sadiq case shakes Nigeria despite success against Ivory Coast. The 26-year-old striker was forced to give up the African Cup due to a knee problem encountered a few days before the start of the competition. Back in San Sebastian for further investigation, the former Roma player played against Osasuna yesterday, leaving the Super Eagles stoned.

José Peseiro complained at the press conference about the lack of communication between the Basque club and the Federation: "No one told me anything. No one had told me that he could recover in five days, even in ten days. We didn't know if he would be back within a week or a month. We sent his club the test results and they told us he had to go back to Spain to start the recovery program. They also talked about the possibility of surgery. We had a meeting with the player and our staff: he wanted to stay and of course I wanted him to stay too. That's why I summoned him. But on the last possible day, I think it was the 13th, we decided to replace it. I'm happy to see that he's recovered well but I'm sad because he's not here to help us."

Seems like Real Sociedad played a fast one on us and the SE team doctors may not be culpable
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Peseiro clarifies Sadiq’s medical diagnosis

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:58 am The Umar Sadiq case shakes Nigeria despite success against Ivory Coast. The 26-year-old striker was forced to give up the African Cup due to a knee problem encountered a few days before the start of the competition. Back in San Sebastian for further investigation, the former Roma player played against Osasuna yesterday, leaving the Super Eagles stoned.

José Peseiro complained at the press conference about the lack of communication between the Basque club and the Federation: "No one told me anything. No one had told me that he could recover in five days, even in ten days. We didn't know if he would be back within a week or a month. We sent his club the test results and they told us he had to go back to Spain to start the recovery program. They also talked about the possibility of surgery. We had a meeting with the player and our staff: he wanted to stay and of course I wanted him to stay too. That's why I summoned him. But on the last possible day, I think it was the 13th, we decided to replace it. I'm happy to see that he's recovered well but I'm sad because he's not here to help us."

Seems like Real Sociedad played a fast one on us and the SE team doctors may not be culpable
It gets worse!! So they were relying on the club? I thought the team had its own doctor? Abi, the doctor na for decoration?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:41 pm
Dammy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:58 am The Umar Sadiq case shakes Nigeria despite success against Ivory Coast. The 26-year-old striker was forced to give up the African Cup due to a knee problem encountered a few days before the start of the competition. Back in San Sebastian for further investigation, the former Roma player played against Osasuna yesterday, leaving the Super Eagles stoned.

It gets worse!! So they were relying on the club? I thought the team had its own doctor? Abi, the doctor na for decoration?

EII,

This is standard. As we speak, and in Klopp's presser today, the Liverpool and Egyptian medical teams are collaborating on a decision regarding Salah.

And this is a hamstring tightening as opposed to a knee strain for a player who was out for nearly one year. I'm not sure I see the conspiracy...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

txj wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:47 pm

EII,

This is standard. As we speak, and in Klopp's presser today, the Liverpool and Egyptian medical teams are collaborating on a decision regarding Salah.

And this is a hamstring tightening as opposed to a knee strain for a player who was out for nearly one year. I'm not sure I see the conspiracy...

:agree:

Sadly we live in the everything is a conspiracy or everyone is picking on me era. Not every action has negative or Machiavellian intent. But if you look at life through a jaundiced eye and see everything through a negative prism you will find something to feed your negativity unfortunately.

Well said TXJ
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Stagger Lee, needs to fully recover well in Spain.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

When you thought it was the Nigerian Doctor that daignosed him, you became a conspiracy theorist. Now that you are finding out it was in consultation with his club, then suddenly the Nigerian doctors are not capable. Uncle, na wa for you o. First it was our strikers exploding at their clubs with one assist, now it's conspiracy everywhere. Have you considered applying for a MAGA card?

Last edited by 1naija on Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

EII,

The local doctors have to defer to the club’s doctors because they are the ones who monitor him all year round so, their opinion has to be respected. If they weren’t honest and forthcoming, you really can’t blame the local doctors. What the local doctors did was err on the side of caution. Absolutely Nothing wrong with that🤔❗️

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

1naija wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:22 pm When you thought it was the Nigerian Doctor that daignosed him, you became a conspiracy theorist. Now that you are finding out it was in consultation with his club, then suddenly the Nigerian doctors are not capable? Uncle, na wa for you o. First it was our strikers exploding at their clubs with one assists, not it's conspiracy everywhere. Have considered applying for a MAGA card?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:16 pm

EII,

The local doctors have to defer to the club’s doctors because they are the ones who monitor him all year round so, their opinion has to be respected. If they weren’t honest and forthcoming, you really can’t blame the local doctors. What the local doctors did was err on the side of caution. Absolutely Nothing wrong with that🤔❗️

Cheers.
TTTK

Did you read what the NFF stated about this issue? If not, then you need to. The NFF was definitive that its doctor did the right tests and mentioned various tests.

Moreover, why would you rely on the club to do the rests when the clubs have an interest that is directly different from yours? There is a reason National FAs demand to carry out these tests on their own. In the NFF's case, I believe this was done and that point has never been denied.

Read the point that Peseiro attempts to make. It is almost as if he is stating that they were relying on the club to confirm the NFF's test. Why even do that. Moreover who then came about with the several weeks out? Was it the club?

Based on that, I cannot excuse the NFF. It is either incompetence or dereliction of duty. I remain unconvinced by NFF's attempts at damage control.

Bros, we have to think about those issues.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:28 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:16 pm

EII,

Cheers.
TTTK

Did you read what the NFF stated about this issue? If not, then you need to. The NFF was definitive that its doctor did the right tests and mentioned various tests.

Moreover, why would you rely on the club to do the rests when the clubs have an interest that is directly different from yours? There is a reason National FAs demand to carry out these tests on their own. In the NFF's case, I believe this was done and that point has never been denied.

Read the point that Peseiro attempts to make. It is almost as if he is stating that they were relying on the club to confirm the NFF's test. Why even do that. Moreover who then came about with the several weeks out? Was it the club?

Based on that, I cannot excuse the NFF. It is either incompetence or dereliction of duty. I remain unconvinced by NFF's attempts at damage control.

Bros, we have to think about those issues.
Much ado about nothing.

The club has the longer term interest of the player at heart than the NFF (they have a contract with him). NFF has little or no obligation to him.

The club has his medical history so makes sense to listen to what they say.

There is little or no difference in the conclusion of both medical teams. He was not fit for our first game so he was dropped. That's the call of the coach.

Please, NFF and the club are not in competition.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Here is Sadiq's statement. Please read carefully:

https://punchng.com/sadiq-opens-up-on-afcon-exit/
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

His statement is consistent with what the Nigerian medical team said. He played 15 minutes, which could imply he is not 100% fit.
Enugu II wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:11 am Here is Sadiq's statement. Please read carefully:

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...yep, a fast one on dumb people.
We scam them, they scam us.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:47 am His statement is consistent with what the Nigerian medical team said. He played 15 minutes, which could imply he is not 100% fit.
Enugu II wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:11 am Here is Sadiq's statement. Please read carefully:

LOL. :rotf: someone who is supposedly out for three weeks? Your interpretation here breaks the Guinness book if record. Hopefully you will tell is that being out now means one can play one minute!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

1naija wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:47 am His statement is consistent with what the Nigerian medical team said. He played 15 minutes, which could imply he is not 100% fit.

Uncle 1naira,

Of course he wasn’t fit. The question, though, is was he unfit enough to be sent home, which is a perfectly legitimate question🤔❗️

Cheers.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

How did Sadiq not score there?

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

I see it, very disappointing. I bet his club must be happy to have him back
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Odas wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:40 pm

Odas

The thing that bothers me is that our doctors messed up and then relied on a club doctor for affirmation! Ridiculous. We have been scammed and natives are here grinning and thinking they know what's on. I thought the very reason we have an INDEPENDENT doctor is to have an INDEPENDENT assessment. Yet we sure did not appear to have it here and we run to Massa to confirm for us.

Meanwhile, the lad really wanted to play, really wanted to BLEED for the country! Yet we wanted to rely on crap to make a decision. Our own doctors come up with rubbish diagnosis and begin to seek affirmation. It won't be today but it will surely come back and haunt us. It won't take long. Bet on it. Tufiakwa!!!

I am upset but just because we lacked gumption.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:53 am

Odas

The thing that bothers me is that our doctors messed up and then relied on a club doctor for affirmation! Ridiculous. We have been scammed and natives are here grinning and thinking they know what's on. I thought the very reason we have an INDEPENDENT doctor is to have an INDEPENDENT assessment. Yet we sure did not appear to have it here and we run to Massa to confirm for us.

Meanwhile, the lad really wanted to play, really wanted to BLEED for the country! Yet we wanted to rely on crap to make a decision. Our own doctors come up with rubbish diagnosis and begin to seek affirmation. It won't be today but it will surely come back and haunt us. It won't take long. Bet on it. Tufiakwa!!!

EII,

After reading your post and assessing the points; therein, all I could do was shake my head in disgust and annoyance. We screwed up as we have always done as a nation. We sent a player who was/is willing to do his best for Nigeria. Whenever I still down and look at the whole things happening in Nigeria, I continue to fail to point at one area things went wrong. Unfortunately, things seem to be getting worse by the day. Na wa-ooo!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Odas

This your Africa wambata- always the victim get as e be....

Its not unusual for countries to collaborate with teams on the health of players. Its actually the norm now..

And what you haven't considered is the possibility of both the Nigerian and Sociedad medical teams being simultaneously correct.

One looking at fitness for a tournament and the other for club football played with 7 days rest in between..

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2024/01/j ... er-injury/

This is exactly what I was saying earlier.

The plan atm is for Salah to return to Liverpool for treatment

packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

txj wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:31 pm

Odas

This your Africa wambata- always the victim get as e be....

Its not unusual for countries to collaborate with teams on the health of players. Its actually the norm now..

And what you haven't considered is the possibility of both the Nigerian and Sociedad medical teams being simultaneously correct.

One looking at fitness for a tournament and the other for club football played with 7 days rest in between..
You are right but the problem is that these clubs don’t respect our tournament (AFCON). Relying on them to affirm or confirm your diagnosis was not a smart choice. As far as your fitness is concerned, he can’t be worse than Kele. I won’t be shocked if we never see Kele in a meaningful match this tournament.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .