Commitment of foreign born players

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Commitment of foreign born players

Post by Dammy »

Prior to AFCON 2023, the poor string of results by the SE was blamed on the lack of commitment by fb players by a section of the Nigerian media and some CEs.
Even the Captain, Ahmed Musa, in an interview alluded to it and called for the integration of home based players into the SE to improve commitment and results.
After the game against CIV, fb players like Aina, Ekong, Bassey and Lookman were singled out for praise by the same people who had been criticising their lack of commitment to the national team.
I hope this puts an end to doubts over the commitment of our fb players.
I also wonder how Musa feels now in the midst of the players that he threw under the bus. If we win AFCON, they will do the hard work for him to take the glory of lifting the trophy
I am happy
packerland
Egg
Egg
Re: Commitment of foreign born players

Post by packerland »

Dammy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:30 am Prior to AFCON 2023, the poor string of results by the SE was blamed on the lack of commitment by fb players by a section of the Nigerian media and some CEs.
Even the Captain, Ahmed Musa, in an interview alluded to it and called for the integration of home based players into the SE to improve commitment and results.
After the game against CIV, fb players like Aina, Ekong, Bassey and Lookman were singled out for praise by the same people who had been criticising their lack of commitment to the national team.
I also wonder how Musa feels now in the midst of the players that he threw under the bus. If we win AFCON, they will do the hard work for him to take the glory of lifting the trophy
God bless you! You beat me to opening this thread. I was tempted to call out some mugu’s here who I saw rejoicing after the Ivory Coast match but a few months ago were blaming our failures on foreign based players. I left it alone because this place has been somewhat peaceful lately.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Dammy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:30 am Prior to AFCON 2023, the poor string of results by the SE was blamed on the lack of commitment by fb players by a section of the Nigerian media and some CEs.
The blanket condemnation and scapegoating was wrong and sometimes disgraceful. However, it is not an unreasonable premise that a foreign born player (especially those that had been involved in foreign team national setup) might not understand the motivation behind playing for the national team. But there had never been any doubt in my mind about Aina, Ekong, Balogun and Bassey for instance. I wondered about Lookman due to his hesitation to play for us but I have had no reason to doubt him.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

I detest the attack on the foreign born and I applaud Osimhen for coming out in their defence.

It’s a nuanced discussion though. And I think it might take a while for some of the foreign born to get the Nigerian hustler psyche. Indeed, tournament like this is the best opportunity to do that.

So while we shouldn’t discriminate or scapegoat them, I think it’s ok to say “hey, there are some aspects of our mentality and culture that you need to step into”. And in all honesty, I think that is happening, which is why we’re seeing so many of them step up with grit and determination. I’m so glad Ekong, Lookman, Bassey and the rest are part of our team.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

aruako1 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:44 am
The blanket condemnation and scapegoating was wrong and sometimes disgraceful. However, it is not an unreasonable premise that a foreign born player (especially those that had been involved in foreign team national setup) might not understand the motivation behind playing for the national team. But there had never been any doubt in my mind about Aina, Ekong, Balogun and Bassey for instance. I wondered about Lookman due to his hesitation to play for us but I have had no reason to doubt him.
These dudes are professionals and if you treat them like one, that’s what you will get. Football is football. They see their club mates jet out for international duties & the extra love they get on social media.

I think lookman’s case is that of laziness with applying for passport and doing the FIFA thing. He had no shot of playing for England. On the other hand, I think Tosin is stalling us because lately his partnership with Bassey is killing it at Fulham and people are noticing.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

packerland wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:37 am
God bless you! You beat me to opening this thread. I was tempted to call out some mugu’s here who I saw rejoicing after the Ivory Coast match but a few months ago were blaming our failures on foreign based players. I left it alone because this place has been somewhat peaceful lately.
In fact God bless both of you for beating me to open and comment on this same topic.
Amazing.

I was going to point out this silly ‘ajebota’ nonsense that many like to mention to disparage foreign-born Nigerian players.
It’s absolute nonsense to believe these guy come from ‘ajebota’ (read: ‘privileged’, ’soft’) backgrounds just because they were born abroad.

While players like Osimhen were running the streets hawking water to survive, players like Bassey were running the streets of London trying to survive deadly street gangs.
Which of them is ajebota? Who is harder?
These guys are hustlers. Mikel Obi, Babayaro, Ekoku dem probably had a more ajebota upbringing than guys like Bassey who didn’t even have a father figure in his life.
It’s just a complete myth.

The other thing is when a player signs for a team, he gives his all, no looking back. He’s a professional for God’s sake and if he has any sense, he will do everything possible to further his career.
There is no indication that any of our players no get sense.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

At the risk of sounding like I disagree with the sentiment of this thread (I don’t, and also join in saying God bless), I don’t think the ajebota thing is the relevance in this conversation, more the passion for the shirt and the deep understanding of why this matters.

If you’re not embedded in the culture from youth, it might take you some time to learn.

In fact, I think that might be the difference between those who declare for Nigeria and those who don’t. I’m amazed at how connected to Nigerian culture Lookman and Ajayi are. Balogun talks about how he had to take his time to understand it beyond pounded yam and egusi soup.

But again, I think the boys all get it and the rituals the super eagles have put in place are lovely ways to get everyone inducted.
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

waka-man wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:47 am I detest the attack on the foreign born and I applaud Osimhen for coming out in their defence.

It’s a nuanced discussion though. And I think it might take a while for some of the foreign born to get the Nigerian hustler psyche. Indeed, tournament like this is the best opportunity to do that.

So while we shouldn’t discriminate or scapegoat them, I think it’s ok to say “hey, there are some aspects of our mentality and culture that you need to step into”. And in all honesty, I think that is happening, which is why we’re seeing so many of them step up with grit and determination. I’m so glad Ekong, Lookman, Bassey and the rest are part of our team.
I hear you.
The Nigerian hustle might be unique, but you and I know that virtually every black man on the planet has to hustle in one way or another to survive.
I think what might make the Nigerian psyche somewhat different from other Africans on the continent is that self-belief, despite all odds. Of course, that’s a very broad statement and won’t apply across the board.
UK’s young black men have a similar hustle, fuelled by racism and perceptions of racism.
It’s just a different type of fuel.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Damunk wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:32 pm
waka-man wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:47 am I detest the attack on the foreign born and I applaud Osimhen for coming out in their defence.

I hear you.
The Nigerian hustle might be unique, but you and I know that virtually every black man on the planet has to hustle in one way or another to survive.
I think what might make the Nigerian psyche somewhat different from other Africans on the continent is that self-belief, despite all odds. Of course, that’s a very broad statement and won’t apply across the board.
UK’s young black men have a similar hustle, fuelled by racism and perceptions of racism.
So true. Great point.

And the generation of black men emerging in the UK is unapologetic of the blackness, which is a good thing. Earlier generations thought success was sounding like the Queen.

By the way, modern Nigerian culture as captured in Nollywood and in particular Afrobeats is a big part of what black British culture in increasingly confident and self-expressive. I can’t speak to what’s happening in Holland, Italy and Germany though.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

What is the point of this thread? Are you people so bored, you've decided to attack Musa , Ce, Fb critics etc. Mind you we still tied Lesotho and Zimbabwe in the WCQs. We failed to qualify for the WC , we were knocked out in the RD of 16. This the first competitive win in over a year.

Yall can bash Musa as you like, but he has An Afcon medal and 4 Worldcup goals while making it to the RD of 16. When the FB wins something for Nigeria then you can beat yalls chests. Today they've not done anything new for Nigeria.

Why don't you people wait and enjoy the moment. Haba, all because we parked the bus and scored vs CIV...ok ooo

Also many of you are fake SE supporters. Really fake. Some of you only show face here on CE when we win. The negativity on this forum is 2nd to none
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

waka-man wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:30 pm At the risk of sounding like I disagree with the sentiment of this thread (I don’t, and also join in saying God bless), I don’t think the ajebota thing is the relevance in this conversation, more the passion for the shirt and the deep understanding of why this matters.

If you’re not embedded in the culture from youth, it might take you some time to learn.

In fact, I think that might be the difference between those who declare for Nigeria and those who don’t. I’m amazed at how connected to Nigerian culture Lookman and Ajayi are. Balogun talks about how he had to take his time to understand it beyond pounded yam and egusi soup.

But again, I think the boys all get it and the rituals the super eagles have put in place are lovely ways to get everyone inducted.
Most of the guys that decide to play for us are connected to us. You can just tell who is and isn't. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Olise doesn't give a toss, which is okay. The Dutch dude in Italy too, you can just tell that he is not feeling it. Billing of Bournemoth says he doesn't feel Nigerian and I really appreciate that. However people like Iwobi, Bassey, Aina are 100 percent down!

To conclude, there are a lot of unpatriotic Nigerians in Nigeria. I see them everyday. They don't give a toss about the Super Eagles or Nigeria. We shouldn't assume that people born and bred in Nigeria are more Nigerian than people born abroad. You can just see that Ekong is a TRUE Naija boy.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

airwolex wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:39 pm
waka-man wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:30 pm At the risk of sounding like I disagree with the sentiment of this thread (I don’t, and also join in saying God bless), I don’t think the ajebota thing is the relevance in this conversation, more the passion for the shirt and the deep understanding of why this matters.

Most of the guys that decide to play for us are connected to us. You can just tell who is and isn't. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Olise doesn't give a toss, which is okay. The Dutch dude in Italy too, you can just tell that he is not feeling it. Billing of Bournemoth says he doesn't feel Nigerian and I really appreciate that. However people like Iwobi, Bassey, Aina are 100 percent down!

To conclude, there are a lot of unpatriotic Nigerians in Nigeria. I see them everyday. They don't give a toss about the Super Eagles or Nigeria. We shouldn't assume that people born and bred in Nigeria are more Nigerian than people born abroad. You can just see that Ekong is a TRUE Naija boy.
Amen brother. Amen.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Of course it is. Some people have called them out for being too soft and not able to stand up to the ruggedness of African players. Fat lie. Majority of UK born football players come from tough neighbourhoods and council estates that most of us never experienced. They are tough.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Ahmed Musa feels good, Naija won.

Please point us to the interview, where Ahmed specifically threw fb players under the bus.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The ‘ajebota’ thing is just one of many strands to the conversation, and they all add up.
The psyche like you, say is important.

You may get it, but too many people, either out of convenience or sheer laziness, just like to pidgeon-hole FBs.
If Eze or Tomori or Saka or Abraham had been ‘forced’ to align with Nigeria, their commitment would be no different. Why do we think that home-born players show greater commitment and have a better mentality than FBs? On what basis?

Do we not, for instance, have stories of SE players not showing enough commitment to the team?
Have we not witnessed stories of some of our top players coming late to camp or not even turning up at all?
Some with the most ridiculous excuses.
In fact, did Mikel Obi not drop a bombshell recently when he mentioned how players would avoid call ups by faking injury?

So, I think it’s just a case of winning some and losing some.
I’ve argued for years that it’s strictly a career choice - and has nothing to do with their lack of love or commitment to Naija.
Those of us abroad really have no mouth to talk.
Nigeria needs us 100x more than the UK, USA or Western Europe.
But we are here working and helping build their economies and run their services with full chest - a choice we made voluntarily.

People should simply see it that way.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Lolly wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:54 pm

Of course it is. Some people have called them out for being too soft and not able to stand up to the ruggedness of African players. Fat lie. Majority of UK born football players come from tough neighbourhoods and council estates that most of us never experienced. They are tough.
So we agree. Some people say it is an issue, but you and I are agreeing these folks are generally not ajebota.

My point is then that culture and identity do matter, as airwolex articulately outlines above.

Again, I don’t think you and I disagree but correct me if I’m wrong.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

fabio wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:58 pm Ahmed Musa feels good, Naija won.

Please point us to the interview, where Ahmed specifically threw fb players under the bus.
Go and look for the thread yourself! It’s on the forum!
I am happy
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Damunk wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:00 pm

The ‘ajebota’ thing is just one of many strands to the conversation, and they all add up.
The psyche like you, say is important.

You may get it, but too many people, either out of convenience or sheer laziness, just like to pidgeon-hole FBs.
If Eze or Tomori or Saka or Abraham had been ‘forced’ to align with Nigeria, their commitment would be no different. Why do we think that home-born players show greater commitment and have a better mentality than FBs? On what basis?

Do we not, for instance, have stories of SE players not showing enough commitment to the team?
Have we not witnessed stories of some of our top players coming late to camp or not even turning up at all?
Some with the most ridiculous excuses.
In fact, did Mikel Obi not drop a bombshell recently when he mentioned how players would avoid call ups by faking injury?

So, I think it’s just a case of winning some and losing some.
I’ve argued for years that it’s strictly a career choice - and has nothing to do with their lack of love or commitment to Naija.
Those of us abroad really have no mouth to talk.
Nigeria needs us 100x more than the UK, USA or Western Europe.
But we are here working and helping build their economies and run their services with full chest - a choice we made voluntarily.

People should simply see it that way.
I’m not sure it’s just a career choice. Identity and passion come into it.

Now of course if you’re Saka, the costs of choosing Nigeria could be overwhelming. But an Eze who is not going to become an England great, is not just thinking career. He has a higher affinity for England. It means more to him than playing for Nigeria.

I would contrast that with Iwobi who declared for us at a time when he was clearly seen as a future England international.

But I accept this stuff is really really nuanced, situational and personal. And I agree with the general argument made that just because someone is foreign born, doesn’t make them automatically more or less committed to the cause.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

waka-man wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:37 pm
Damunk wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:32 pm

I hear you.
So true. Great point.

And the generation of black men emerging in the UK is unapologetic of the blackness, which is a good thing. Earlier generations thought success was sounding like the Queen.

By the way, modern Nigerian culture as captured in Nollywood and in particular Afrobeats is a big part of what black British culture in increasingly confident and self-expressive. I can’t speak to what’s happening in Holland, Italy and Germany though.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
You are so on point!
Nothing more to add.

I know what is was like being a young black boy here in the UK back in the day. Identity was a major issue. My parents, even then were proud Africans, but it was a different era and there was no context in which to express myself as an African. I didn’t even want to. The image of Africa was of starving children, famine and war.

So I took the next best thing - Jamaican, thanks to Bob Marley and raggae music.
At least that was something.
I even changed my name - but only in school amongst my peers.
My parents would have killed me if they ever found out. :rotf:
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Dammy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:06 pm

Typical, I don't have evidence. Let me blame Musa.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

fabio wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:18 pm
Dammy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:06 pm

Typical, I don't have evidence. Let me blame Musa.
Do the heavy lifting yourself and stop looking for others to do it for you!
Typically, even if evidence is presented to you, we know what you will do with it!
I am happy
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Using hyperbole to make a point.

You all can be as PC as you want to be but there's a difference between a Naijarian-born player and a Naijarian player born and raised overseas. It is the difference between HUNGER and STARVATION. It is not about toughness but about aggression... the Naija aggression is different. Can the foreign-born and raised players, learn it? Of course. But it is not Follow Come. We have seen these players grow and adapt.

Coach Prime made the same type of reference but in an American way when he talked about the type of player he recruits.

“Different positions are different,” Sanders said. “Like, O-linemen, I look for dual-parent homes, a strong father that they adhere to. A smart kid, at least 3.3 [GPA] and above. … Tough, physical, offensive linemen.

“Defensive linemen is totally opposite. Single mama, trying to get it, he’s on free lunch. I’m talking about just trying to make it. He’s trying to rescue mama. Like mama barely made the flight. And I want him to just go get it. It’s a whole different attribute that you look for in different positions. And we have that stuff just chronicled. We know what we want, and we go get it.”

He was skewered for stating something most coaches do when recruiting. It does not mean that there are no players that are smart, come from dual-parent homes, high GPA that can't be good defensive linemen. It is just that you can't train a lap dog to be a hunting dog...

With our foreign born players, they are learning to unleash the inner Naijarianess...

The aggression we all come with from growing up in Naijaria needs to be unleashed in them. Thankfully, they are adapting nicely. All of them...

The reverse also works against Naijarian born players who find it hard to adapt to a regimented routine... can't do the routine stuff regularly.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

You're talking about people who think players born overseas are "begged" to play for Nigeria. :roll:

And now we have "unleash your inner Naijarianess". What does this mean? Genuinely curious.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.