10 observations I have after the Guinea-Bissau game

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
10 observations I have after the Guinea-Bissau game

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] Stanley Nwabali has cemented his place as our number one for the next five years

[2] I am disappointed in Bright Osayo-Samuel. I was really expecting him to tear the Equatorial Guineans apart with his mesmerising runs down the right

[3] Semi Ajayi remains suspect. When we revert to a back four, he must make way

[4] Frank Onyeka offers us nothing offensively

[5] Having said that,Ifeanyi Onyeadika did not impress either. Are both Onyedika and Onyeka any better than Innocent Bonke and Kelechi Nwakali?

[6] Joe Abrio appears to be way past it. He offered absolutely nothing today

[7] Alex Iwobi is the only creative player we have at the moment. See how things changed in midfield once he came on

[8] We need Moses Simon back to his old self. At the moment, he does not deserve a starting place

[9] Why has Victor Osimhen chosen now to lose form? Nigeria needs him firing on all cylinders but he has been a total liability in this tournament so far

[10] Samuel Chukwueze cannot help himself. By default, he keeps running into cul-de-sacs. Shame the likes of Samuel Kalu and Henry Onyekuru had faded into the shadows
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 10 observations I have after the Guinea-Bissau game

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:49 pm
this was you a few months ago. When I tried to advise you, you cried out! claimed that I was getting under your skin. :rotf: Do we have another box-to-box midfielder to replace him? Since you claimed he was the only one we had, amongst 250 million people.
Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:56 pm
danfo driver wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:51 pm
Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:43 am My 4-3-3 preferred line-up:

Uzoho
Osayi-Samuel
Onyemaechi
Awaziem
Bassey
Ndidi
Aribo
Dele-Bashiru
Simon
Osimhen (C)
Lookman
Would you like to tell us how many minutes Aribo hs played in Div 2 this season?
https://www.transfermarkt.com/joe-aribo ... aison/2023

Which other two-way box-to-box midfielder do you have to play in his place?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Nigeria midfield is the problem. Osimhen can work on his finishing in training. At least he is still playing hard. Created the PK against Ivory Coast and his pressure led to the own goal today. But that midfield is a problem. I think Onyedika played better than Onyeka. Hopefully Yusuf will be ready for the next game.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I would go with

Nwabili
Aina, Ajayi, Omeruo, Bassey.
Onyedika, Yusuf, Onyeka.
Iwobi, Osimhen, Lookman

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

ohenhen1 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:46 pm I would go with

Nwabili
Onyedika, Yusuf, Onyeka.
Iwobi, Osimhen, Lookman

You cannot play a midfield or Onyeka, Yusuf and Onyeadika. Neither of them offers the creativity to open defences!
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

Nwabili
Onyedika, Yusuf, Onyeka.
Iwobi, Osimhen, Lookman
Poor formation ! Three defensive midfielders ? There will be lack of creativity couple with lack of bite in the wing as well !
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:13 pm

Nwabili
Onyedika, Yusuf, Onyeka.
Iwobi, Osimhen, Lookman

You cannot play a midfield or Onyeka, Yusuf and Onyeadika. Neither of them offers the creativity to open defences!
Yes you can.
Have them fetch the ball and give to Iwobi.
BTW, Yusuf is a box-to-box midfielder and he can pass too but not as well as Iwobi who has a deft touch.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

[10] Samuel Chukwueze cannot help himself. By default, he keeps running into cul-de-sacs. Shame the likes of Samuel Kalu and Henry Onyekuru had faded into the shadows
I just watched the highlights again and Chukwueze wasn't that bad. Maybe we are expecting too much from him.

He created a good chance for Simon who fluffed it and did some good things. He just isn't HIM. Used the right way he will do a job but that's about it.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

airwolex wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:23 pm
I just watched the highlights again and Chukwueze wasn't that bad. Maybe we are expecting too much from him.

He created a good chance for Simon who fluffed it and did some good things. He just isn't HIM. Used the right way he will do a job but that's about it.
Chukwueze definitely wasn’t that bad. And Moses Simon was actually very good.

Onyedika also looked the part when he came on. His partnership with Iwobi could be interesting.

Osimhen missed chances again which is frustrating, but he had a very good game. Even when he doesn’t score, he’s the reason we score. Franchise player right there. The goals will come.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Ayo with this kai-kai analysis again,

Onyedika absolutely looked the part when he came on, what game did you watch?
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Our best 11 is taking shape and we are steadily making progress...

Other observations, Lookman and Aina are the only two players that can deliver quality balls into the box to Osiboy.

Iwobi has the movement to deliver the balls into the channel early and accurately enough to give Osi-boy the time to react fast enough. The coach needs to get him to sit central and pull the creative strings. He is the only one touch and move player and can play the ball into space

Moses Simone and Chukwueze need to focus more on delivery of their final ball and better decision making.

Nwabili needs to work on his distribution, at some point he is going to get caught with the ball at his feet if care is not taken.

We need to work on our shot taking.. too many shots off target

Finally, Aribo may need a shrink to work on his head
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:49 pm [1] Stanley Nwabali has cemented his place as our number one for the next five years

[2] I am disappointed in Bright Osayo-Samuel. I was really expecting him to tear the Equatorial Guineans apart with his mesmerising runs down the right

[5] Having said that, Ifeanyi Onyeadika did not impress either. Are both Onyedika and Onyeka any better than Innocent Bonke and Kelechi Nwakali?

[7] Alex Iwobi is the only creative player we have at the moment. See how things changed in midfield once he came on

[8] We need Moses Simon back to his old self. At the moment, he does not deserve a starting place

[9] Why has Victor Osimhen chosen now to lose form? Nigeria needs him firing on all cylinders but he has been a total liability in this tournament so far

Uncle, no be 1980 afcon player be dat? I think you mean Raphael Nwadike Onyedika
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

anointed wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:56 am
Ayo Akinfe wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:49 pm [1] Stanley Nwabali has cemented his place as our number one for the next five years

[5] Having said that, Ifeanyi Onyeadika did not impress either. Are both Onyedika and Onyeka any better than Innocent Bonke and Kelechi Nwakali?

Uncle, no be 1980 afcon player be dat? I think you mean Raphael Nwadike Onyedika
To be fair I don’t think that was a mistake. Ayo is still anchored firmly in the days of Ogedengbe and Odiye.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Well spotted.
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

Notes
[1] Stanley Nwabali has cemented his place as our number one for the next five years - He's decent so far, but I don't think he's in the likes of Enyeama for example. Our search may still continue

[2] I am disappointed in Bright Osayo-Samuel. I was really expecting him to tear the Equatorial Guineans apart with his mesmerising runs down the right - obviously he cannot give what he doesn't have. With players like these we're back to the days of hey yous. Add Aribo, Onyedika to the mix

[3] Semi Ajayi remains suspect. When we revert to a back four, he must make way - Safe for when we have better young defenders, who else can step into the shoes of almost retiring Ekong and Omeruo?

[4] Frank Onyeka offers us nothing offensively I have this feeling that when Yussuf and Ndidi is back to fitness, we need to confine players like him to the bench. We also need to start considering Iwobi's replacement

[5] Having said that,Ifeanyi Onyeadika did not impress either. Are both Onyedika and Onyeka any better than Innocent Bonke and Kelechi Nwakali?- I agree

[6] Joe Abrio appears to be way past it. He offered absolutely nothing today - How did a camping exercise tell the crew Aribo deserved to be at AFCON 2023?

[7] Alex Iwobi is the only creative player we have at the moment. See how things changed in midfield once he came on - ...yet his game is declining. He's not the Iwobi of WC and previous ANCs

[8] We need Moses Simon back to his old self. At the moment, he does not deserve a starting place - Forget about Moses Simon in his old self. This is about the best we can get till he retires. He was found out at the AFCON 2021 by the Tunisians (that you only need to force him out wide). We need to look for more upcoming players

[9] Why has Victor Osimhen chosen now to lose form? Nigeria needs him firing on all cylinders but he has been a total liability in this tournament so far - I think is psychological. Osimeh seem to have put himself under pressure to deliver

[10] Samuel Chukwueze cannot help himself. By default, he keeps running into cul-de-sacs. Shame the likes of Samuel Kalu and Henry Onyekuru had faded into the shadows - Pius Ikedia-lite
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

most important not to peak too early! now in the knockout phase, Nigeria has to step up, group stage is all about coming out of the group alive, look at world cup winners, some have lost opening games, struggled until knockout phases, please calm down
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

marko wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:07 pm most important not to peak too early! now in the knockout phase, Nigeria has to step up, group stage is all about coming out of the group alive, look at world cup winners, some have lost opening games, struggled until knockout phases, please calm down
I agree but I don't see how they can improve to win Afcon. The coach has not done it in the past

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

We will take the lessons of this tournament into the World Cup qualifiers. It is clear that midfield are where the main problems are.

I would also like to see Bruno Onyemaechi in this tournament, so we can have a good assessment of him. This team is still a job in progress
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:39 am

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Well spotted.

Na wah, Uncle Ayo. Another evidence that football has left you.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

If we could get hold of Michael Olise, it would solve a lot of our problems. Leftback is also a area that needs addressing
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Nwabili
Onyedika, Yusuf, Onyeka.
Iwobi, Osimhen, Lookman
With the players in camp

Nwabili
Aina, Ajayi, Omeruo, Bassey. Zaidu
Yusuf, Iwobi.
Iheanacho, Osimhen, Lookman
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Enyi wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:48 pm

Nwabili
Onyedika, Yusuf, Onyeka.
Iwobi, Osimhen, Lookman
With the players in camp

Nwabili
Yusuf, Iwobi.
Yusuf and Iwobi like to push up the field. It would be an expressway behind them.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Robotnik wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:17 pm
Enyi wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:48 pm

Nwabili
Onyedika, Yusuf, Onyeka.
Iwobi, Osimhen, Lookman
With the players in camp

Nwabili
Yusuf, Iwobi.
Yusuf and Iwobi like to push up the field. It would be an expressway behind them.
Yusuf is the only DM in the team…

The role of a DM is no longer beside the defence….

Rice, Rodri Casemiro and co…

Yusuf and Iwobi has the lungs and discipline to get back and defend when needed
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........