'I haven't played left-back for Nigeria for a while' - Aina admits he was a bit rusty

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
'I haven't played left-back for Nigeria for a while' - Aina admits he was a bit rusty

Post by iworo »

Versatile Nottingham Forest fullback Ola Aina has been arguably the best player for the Nigeria side at the ongoing Africa Cup of Nations with some eye-catching performances in the group stage.

The Chelsea academy product earned rave reviews from Super Eagles fans, pundits and even 1980 Africa Cup of Nations winner Segun Odegbami after his outstanding display against Ivory Coast.

Aina has been used in a variety of roles for club and country including left-back, right-back, left wing-back and right wing-back.

The 27-year-old is able to play in multiple positions because he is two-footed, which means he can use both feet equally well, although his right is his stronger foot.

Opting for three at the back for a second consecutive game, Nigeria boss Jose Peseiro moved Aina from the right wing-back position to a left wing-back role as cover for Zaidu Sanusi, who missed out on a place in the starting lineup due to a knock he suffered during the win against Ivory Coast.

Aina confessed that he struggled in the first half against Guinea-Bissau because it had been a long time since he was asked to play at left-back.

"We work hard for each other on the pitch and make sure that we try to get the results that we want," Aina told reporters in the mixed zone after the Guinea-Bissau versus Nigeria match.

" I felt like I was a little bit rusty in the first half just because I haven't played left-back for Nigeria for a while but as the game went on it was fine for me, it was okay."

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_n ... ?nid=50216