AFCON Semifinal Matches Set

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Synopsis
Egg
Egg
Re: AFCON Quarterfinal matches set

Post by Synopsis »

theDunamis
Egg
Egg
Re: AFCON knockout bracket set

Post by theDunamis »

ohenhen1 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:19 pm Morocco is the team to beat. They have everything you need to win Afcon. Senegal vs Morocco in the final. Won't surprise me if Nigeria goes out in the round of 16. Nigeria certainly doesn't have the team to win Afcon but can pull out a few surprises.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I dont want to meet South Africa. It doesn't bode well for our WC chances. I hope Cape Verde cane them well.
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

theDunamis wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:11 am
ohenhen1 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:19 pm Morocco is the team to beat. They have everything you need to win Afcon. Senegal vs Morocco in the final. Won't surprise me if Nigeria goes out in the round of 16. Nigeria certainly doesn't have the team to win Afcon but can pull out a few surprises.

Ohenhen na correct Mugu :lol:
Peter Obi For President 2023
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

It just hit me that none of the 5 recent world cup participants just over 12 montsh ago made it to the quarter finals

AFCON is something else, loving it
With more places in the world cup, many new teams will get world cup experience and do some damage,

Long may this be so
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

This tournament na helele. Seeing the remaining teams , you have to be heavily biased not to say Nigeria is a big favorite. I liked it better when we were underdogs, but I also like that Paso is now showing his true colors after playing posom the last 2 yrs.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

a new eight from the last go around, all the 2021 quarterfinalist are eliminated.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

King Futcha wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:17 am a new eight from the last go around, all the 2021 quarterfinalist are eliminated.

That is a very interesting and crazy factoid.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am I dont want to meet South Africa. It doesn't bode well for our WC chances. I hope Cape Verde cane them well.
please could you explain this? are you saying that if we meet south africa, fifa will ban us from participating in the world cup qualifiers
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Babalawo wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:23 am
Some people need to be banned from commenting on soccer. They are just clueless

"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Some people need to be banned from commenting on soccer. They are just clueless
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

icee wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:23 pm Yes just saw that Ivory coast did a last minute sneak in. 3 teams from our group
Three teams from our group? Are you sure? I saw only two - for the quarter final - bro.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

I don't know what it is with Ohenhen1. Maybe this is his way of coping and expecting the worse in case we lose :) :) :) :)
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Odas wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:00 am
I don't know what it is with Ohenhen1. Maybe this is his way of coping and expecting the worse in case we lose :) :) :) :)
Ohenhen predicted a 1:1 Dollar : Nigeria exchange rate, by January 2024. Its not just about coping
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

akamoke wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:50 am It just hit me that none of the 5 recent world cup participants just over 12 montsh ago made it to the quarter finals

AFCON is something else, loving it
With more places in the world cup, many new teams will get world cup experience and do some damage,

Long may this be so
Akamoke

I love it!!! It shows that talent is widely distributed across the continent and in many ways. It is something that I have always believed and the idea that they are easily calculated by investigating players in top 5 leagues of Europe is just a myth.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

I swear :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

danfo driver wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:37 am
vancity eagle wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am I dont want to meet South Africa. It doesn't bode well for our WC chances. I hope Cape Verde cane them well.
please could you explain this? are you saying that if we meet south africa, fifa will ban us from participating in the world cup qualifiers
I dont want them to get any experience against our players. It will give them insight into how to play us in WCQ.

It's better if we don't play them at this afcon.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:44 pm
I dont want them to get any experience against our players. It will give them insight into how to play us in WCQ.

Could it not work the other way around too? We play them now and it gives us an insight on how to play them during the qualifiers.

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Robbynice wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:50 pm

Could it not work the other way around too? We play them now and it gives us an insight on how to play them during the qualifiers.
I think it's more likely to help them tbh.

Especially if we beat them here, they will be motivated to get a result against us.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

...And we want to be champions?

If the SE is good enough, no opponent can/should be avoided.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

joao wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:24 pm

My worry is not about this tournament. I think we will beat them here.

My worry is how they will come at us in WCQ after we beat them here.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:32 pm
joao wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:24 pm

My worry is not about this tournament. I think we will beat them here.

My worry is how they will come at us in WCQ after we beat them here.
And when they do, we beat them then too to remind them who we are (Hopefully African Champions). It is really as simple as that.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TBH,

If we overcome Angola, the team that I will worry most about is Ivory Coast because I currently have the feeling that they are tracking towards the championship game. Morocco have given them the lifeline and they have taken it. They can only improve especially after eliminating the defending champion -- Senegal.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics