Peseiro v Iheanacho?.......Is there credence?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: Peseiro v Iheanacho?.......Is there credence?

Post by Tobi17 »

Make no mistake about it, Iheanacho has to start tomorrow at least as a support striker! play Nacho behind Lookman and Osimhen in a 352 formation and we will be 2 goals up before the 40th minute...with the overload of balls and spaces we will get in the Cameroonian box, it won't be long before Iheanacho finishes one or two of those loose balls...lazy or not, Nacho is a LETHAL finisher (our best even), Pisseiro has to find a way to fit him in the line up.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tobi17 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:02 am Make no mistake about it, Iheanacho has to start tomorrow at least as a support striker! play Nacho behind Lookman and Osimhen in a 352 formation and we will be 2 goals up before the 40th minute...with the overload of balls and spaces we will get in the Cameroonian box, it won't be long before Iheanacho finishes one or two of those loose balls...lazy or not, Nacho is a LETHAL finisher (our best even), Pisseiro has to find a way to fit him in the line up.
Why on earth would Nacho be BEHIND Lookman ?

Are you crazy ?

If anything Lookman would be behind Nacho, as Lookman puts in more work and is better technically. You want Nacho as advanced as possible, without being a target man.

I dont know how many times I have to say it. If you want the best out of SE, and the best out of Nacho.

Osimehn and Lookman up top preferable, with Nacho replacing Lookman at some point in time.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:19 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:16 pm This doofus of a coach is willing to risk not playing his most prolific goal scorer because of his useless little ego, may God help him if we fail to win tomorrow.
Tobi

Peseiro's point is that Kelechi arrived late. I guess this also applies to Terem Moffi who has been AWOL on the field thus far.

However, if the coach is giving those reasons, I wish the journalists asked him why Onuachu who also arrived late was used? Why was Onuachu treated differently?
There is a difference, Iheanacho arrived late and was just recovering from injury while Onuachu was fit right from the beginning...I watched the pre match conference and that is exactly what Peseiro meant, how Nigerian journalists managed to twist the narrative beats me.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

gochino wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:48 am
Tobi17 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:16 pm This doofus of a coach is willing to risk not playing his most prolific goal scorer because of his useless little ego, may God help him if we fail to win tomorrow.
Tobi

Peseiro's point is that Kelechi arrived late. I guess this also applies to Terem Moffi who has been AWOL on the field thus far.

However, if the coach is giving those reasons, I wish the journalists asked him why Onuachu who also arrived late was used? Why was Onuachu treated differently?
There is a difference, Iheanacho arrived late and was just recovering from injury while Onuachu was fit right from the beginning...I watched the pre match conference and that is exactly what Peseiro meant, how Nigerian journalists managed to twist the narrative beats me.
Moffi also arrived fit, abi e no fancy am…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

maceo4 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:07 am
gochino wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:48 am
Tobi

Moffi also arrived fit, abi e no fancy am…
But we needed a striker to hold up the ball and get free kicks in the dying minutes against Ivory Coast and Onuachu does that better than the other two strikers.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

It will be a game for the grafters. Work horses running the Grand National. A 3-5-2 with, effectively 3 strikers, leaves the midfield light and the wings under-stationed. If the tournament thus far is anything to go by, the most willing runners will enjoy the spoils.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:06 am
txj wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:35 pm EII,

Just curious, based on our current setup, where would he play as a starter?
I do not think that is the issue. It is about getting a minute.

Personally, while he is our most clinical player, he is one of those that does not often give 100% effort. I would not start him, bottomline.

Its not an affirmative action project where people are entitled to minutes..
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

txj wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:31 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:06 am
txj wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:35 pm EII,

Just curious, based on our current setup, where would he play as a starter?
I do not think that is the issue. It is about getting a minute.

Personally, while he is our most clinical player, he is one of those that does not often give 100% effort. I would not start him, bottomline.

Its not an affirmative action project where people are entitled to minutes..
The coach said he’s fit now and will get minutes…Abi you know pass am?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

This article reads like a load of made up TRASH
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

metalalloy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:04 pm This article reads like a load of made up TRASH
I agree. Guy with injury is kept on team by a coach instead of replacing him and folks say same coach has issues with him. Sounds a bit hooky to me
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Tbite wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:18 pm If Peseiro likes his job, he will find some role for him.

Nigeria is bereft of players with intelligence. Iheanacho is one of the few intelligent players we have. Peseiro doesn't exactly have a choice.

Even Conte that hated Mikel...still became a pragmatist when he was desperate.

Beef or no beef, it makes no difference whatsoever. Unless Jose is a moron, Iheanacho must factor in.
whats the role for him in 3-4-3. which is essentially a 5-2-3 in defense, and 3-2-5 in attack.

where exactly does Iheanacho fit in this formation. He can't play on the wings. He can't play Osimhen role. And he definitely does not have a work rate and defensive effort to play in any of the 2 central roles. So again where does he play in this formation.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

icee wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:13 pm The only way I see Nacho getting game time tommorrow is pulling Iwobi on the right flank like he did for Everton. Benching the less precise Samu and Moses. And then plugging Nacho to the middle. Nacho has IQ and can pass but...while he is not lazy he doesn't have a track record of "workhorse" games. Recall, when PiZERO wants to be compact, Iwobi plays deep. Iwobi is a bonafide workhorse (minus the first game in the heat). Iwobi has fought these kinds of battle several times for Everton. With the Plantain folks, you need tenacity against them. Alhassan will then need to be fully fit and have his work cut out for him to coordinate with Nacho in the middle
Iwobi is our best midfielder who combines high work rate with technical ability and ability to pick a pass (which is super valuable in knock out games)
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

amafolas wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:34 am
Tbite wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:18 pm If Peseiro likes his job, he will find some role for him.

Nigeria is bereft of players with intelligence. Iheanacho is one of the few intelligent players we have. Peseiro doesn't exactly have a choice.

Beef or no beef, it makes no difference whatsoever. Unless Jose is a moron, Iheanacho must factor in.
whats the role for him in 3-4-3. which is essentially a 5-2-3 in defense, and 3-2-5 in attack.

where exactly does Iheanacho fit in this formation. He can't play on the wings. He can't play Osimhen role. And he definitely does not have a work rate and defensive effort to play in any of the 2 central roles. So again where does he play in this formation.
Iheanacho has actually played in more roles than arguably any of our forwards.

He can play centrally. I have seen him as a deep lying forward many times and he can defend.

In fact, Iheanacho is NOT actually a classic striker. He does NOT prefer to stay in the box. He prefers to drop deep and build up the attack. He struggles when he is isolated, which is why he can never be called a Vardy incarnate. His style is too different.

His passing range is damn good. He can feed a ball to Osimhen more accurately than any of our forwards. He knows how to counter attack.

Many of these things that you guys keep saying we lack, Iheanacho understands it. I have seen him do it a lot, particular for Leicester.

Iheanscho's problem has never been ability in any part of the field. He is actually good in all parts of the pitch. His problem has always been one thing, and one thing only. Consistency.

While Osimhen is quite happy to run with the ball or wait for the long ball, Iheanacho would prefer to receive the ball deeper before making his run. He acts as a decoy in his own attack. But he doesn't have to make the run. He can play an incisive pass. We haven't had too many of those in our team. Do you watch this guy at Leicester in particular? When he is on top of his game? If you did, you wouldn't doubt his versatility.

In fact, in his last proper contribution before being off the team sheet, I remember him playing very well from deep. Iheanacho is not a poacher lol. I encourage you to watch his games.

So where would I put him? You could bring him in a substitute for either Iwobi or Onyeka.

You could also put him in Simon's slot, off the bench or starting, depending on fitness.

You will lose some width of course, but you would gain efficiency...and your midfield you would be stronger. Simon's width is much like Zaidu's, it is often pointless.

Iheanacho does not flatter to deceive. He can pierce the defense purposefully.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Iheanacho may not get a single minute’s action in this AFCON with the way the coach has set his team
I am happy
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Only way Kelechi plays is if we are chasing a game and change formation/strategy.

I think the player himself recognizes this.

Everybody on the pitch is doing an IMMENSE job. The only person that needs a small talking to is Zaidu.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:46 am352
The funny thing is Iheanacho's greatest strength at the time of writing this post in 2024 is actually his vision and passing range.

NOT even his contributions as a striker.

Iheanacho in January 2024 has more qualities of a midfielder than of a traditional striker. Sounds crazy, but it is true.

Whoscored makes the same assessment. His short and long passes are both his trait and strengths.

In fact, I think Iheanacho should consider becoming a permanent midfielder (for club and country). It seems likely that he found himself in the wrong role. As a striker he slowly reverts to a midfielder.

The only time he seemed happy to be a pure striker was in Pellegrini's Manchester City.

Other than that he is always occupying the midfield. And when you consider that all his primary strengths in 2024 are midfielder traits, you begin to wonder if this is a midfielder or a striker.

To be clear, the statistics show this. His pass completion raye is almost 90% I am more confident in Iheanacho's passing than all of our midfielder. Yes, all of them. Pretty much the only issue is that his defensive contributions have to be sparing, so you have to play a solid dm behind him. Apart from that, he is as good a midfielder as any we have imo.

We get too caught up in what we knew a player to be sometimes and ignore what they can be. Look at Ndidi's evolving role for example.

If Iheanacho has the best passing on the team, short and long, has vision, and can make runs....what exactly are we talking about?

I like width but not when it is pointless.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Ugbowo wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:03 am Only way Kelechi plays is if we are chasing a game and change formation/strategy.

I think the player himself recognizes this.

Everybody on the pitch is doing an IMMENSE job. The only person that needs a small talking to is Zaidu.
Pretty much what Peseiro said in the post match conference. Start on min 11. I mean this is pretty obvious how made up this article is.

We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tbite wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:06 am
vancity eagle wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:46 am352
The funny thing is Iheanacho's greatest strength at the time of writing this post in 2024 is actually his vision and passing range.

NOT even his contributions as a striker.

Iheanacho in January 2024 has more qualities of a midfielder than of a traditional striker. Sounds crazy, but it is true.

Whoscored makes the same assessment. His short and long passes are both his trait and strengths.

In fact, I think Iheanacho should consider becoming a permanent midfielder (for club and country). It seems likely that he found himself in the wrong role. As a striker he slowly reverts to a midfielder.

The only time he seemed happy to be a pure striker was in Pellegrini's Manchester City.

Other than that he is always occupying the midfield. And when you consider that all his primary strengths in 2024 are midfielder traits, you begin to wonder if this is a midfielder or a striker.

To be clear, the statistics show this. His pass completion raye is almost 90% I am more confident in Iheanacho's passing than all of our midfielder. Yes, all of them. Pretty much the only issue is that his defensive contributions have to be sparing, so you have to play a solid dm behind him. Apart from that, he is as good a midfielder as any we have imo.

We get too caught up in what we knew a player to be sometimes and ignore what they can be. Look at Ndidi's evolving role for example.

If Iheanacho has the best passing on the team, short and long, has vision, and can make runs....what exactly are we talking about?

I like width but not when it is pointless.
His passing range, vision, and IQ are high.

But his work ethic is very poor, and his touch AT TIMES can be atrocious.

So NO. He is not a midfielder.

Support striker is best position for all of his qualities.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Iheanacho. Midfield. Leicester. Championship.

Support striker, possibly. Midfield? No way, not ever. The Championship, the end of level boss of EOLBs. Horses for courses, all else is a Tesco lasagne during the horse meat scandal. Absolutely not.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Tbite wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:27 am
amafolas wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:34 am

Iheanacho has actually played in more roles than arguably any of our forwards.

He can play centrally. I have seen him as a deep lying forward many times and he can defend.

In fact, Iheanacho is NOT actually a classic striker. He does NOT prefer to stay in the box. He prefers to drop deep and build up the attack. He struggles when he is isolated, which is why he can never be called a Vardy incarnate. His style is too different.

His passing range is damn good. He can feed a ball to Osimhen more accurately than any of our forwards. He knows how to counter attack.

Many of these things that you guys keep saying we lack, Iheanacho understands it. I have seen him do it a lot, particular for Leicester.

Iheanscho's problem has never been ability in any part of the field. He is actually good in all parts of the pitch. His problem has always been one thing, and one thing only. Consistency.

While Osimhen is quite happy to run with the ball or wait for the long ball, Iheanacho would prefer to receive the ball deeper before making his run. He acts as a decoy in his own attack. But he doesn't have to make the run. He can play an incisive pass. We haven't had too many of those in our team. Do you watch this guy at Leicester in particular? When he is on top of his game? If you did, you wouldn't doubt his versatility.

In fact, in his last proper contribution before being off the team sheet, I remember him playing very well from deep. Iheanacho is not a poacher lol. I encourage you to watch his games.

So where would I put him? You could bring him in a substitute for either Iwobi or Onyeka.

You could also put him in Simon's slot, off the bench or starting, depending on fitness.

You will lose some width of course, but you would gain efficiency...and your midfield you would be stronger. Simon's width is much like Zaidu's, it is often pointless.

Iheanacho does not flatter to deceive. He can pierce the defense purposefully.
I didn't say he can't play multiple roles. I asked, whats the role for him in the 3-4-3 we play. None. So the only way to accomodate him is a formation switch.