Our Osimhen

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Our Osimhen

Post by danfo driver »

"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Synopsis wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:34 pm
Sleaky72 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:52 pm I don’t understand some people who like fighting shadows.
Osimhen is giving “world class” effort, however, it’s not a crime
nor a taboo to point out that strikers are judged by their goal scoring returns.
It makes me laugh when the same people who mock Gabriel Jesus for his
work rate and low goal return, now attack others for saying that Vic is giving us a heavy work load but has yet to give us clinical finishing.

This is the problem with insecure people who can’t handle opposing points of view.
There isn’t one person here who doesn’t love Vic and the work he’s doing on the field.
Saying he also needs to add a clinical finishing edge to his work isn’t a crime, it’s an informed observation. It’s not done to diminish him as an individual but rather point out an obvious thing he needs to add to his game to reach the next level.

Anyway big props to the lad. He led the line with the heart of a lion.
My only worry for him is how the Napoli fans will receive him after hearing
he will be leaving at the end of the season.
Will be watching this space closely.
He has 21 goals in 31 games for Nigeria…

A couple misses and people are acting like his goal rate is similar to Weghorst or something.
Chief I’m trying to get your drift here.
Everyone loves Osimhen and are all desperate for him and the team to do well.

But facts don’t care about feelings.
In this tournament he has done everything excellently except put the ball in the net, which is what, and if you ask him, he’d readily agree … is what is expected of a striker of his calibre.

Pointing out that your star striker is doing everything excellently but we’d love for him to score more than one goal in four games is not the crime of treason for goodness sakes!!

People cmon!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Even CAF no believe sey na human being. :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Sleaky72 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:22 pm
Synopsis wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:34 pm
Sleaky72 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:52 pm I don’t understand some people who like fighting shadows.
Osimhen is giving “world class” effort, however, it’s not a crime
nor a taboo to point out that strikers are judged by their goal scoring returns.
It makes me laugh when the same people who mock Gabriel Jesus for his
work rate and low goal return, now attack others for saying that Vic is giving us a heavy work load but has yet to give us clinical finishing.

This is the problem with insecure people who can’t handle opposing points of view.
There isn’t one person here who doesn’t love Vic and the work he’s doing on the field.
Saying he also needs to add a clinical finishing edge to his work isn’t a crime, it’s an informed observation. It’s not done to diminish him as an individual but rather point out an obvious thing he needs to add to his game to reach the next level.

Anyway big props to the lad. He led the line with the heart of a lion.
My only worry for him is how the Napoli fans will receive him after hearing
he will be leaving at the end of the season.
Will be watching this space closely.
He has 21 goals in 31 games for Nigeria…

A couple misses and people are acting like his goal rate is similar to Weghorst or something.
Chief I’m trying to get your drift here.

In this tournament he has done everything excellently except put the ball in the net, which is what, and if you ask him, he’d readily agree … is what is expected of a striker of his calibre.

Pointing out that your star striker is doing everything excellently but we’d love for him to score more than one goal in four games is not the crime of treason for goodness sakes!!

People cmon!
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

airwolex wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:04 pm I don't think I have ever seen a player quite like him. I have said this before, I wouldn't swap him for any player not called Mbape. He is a better all round player than Haaland.

I wonder where he is from.
Last edited by Field Marshall Ogolo on Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A criminal trial is not a search for truth. Science is a search for truth. Alan Dershowitz
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Sleaky72 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:22 pmChief I’m trying to get your drift here.

People cmon!

What is expected of a striker of his caliber is to help his team win. That is number 1, number 2, and number 3 on the priority list. If he does that by scoring himself, or does that by assisting, or does that by running down every blade of grass around the opposing defense or does that by doing whatever it takes within the rectangular area of the battlefield, that is what is expected of him first and foremost.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Osimhen is playing exactly the same way he played last season when leading Napoli to the Serie A title.
An Italian journalist accused him before AFCON of focusing his attention on the tournament than on Napoli
I am happy
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

theDunamis wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:03 pm
Sleaky72 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:22 pmChief I’m trying to get your drift here.

People cmon!

What is expected of a striker of his caliber is to help his team win. That is number 1, number 2, and number 3 on the priority list. If he does that by scoring himself, or does that by assisting, or does that by running down every blade of grass around the opposing defense or does that by doing whatever it takes within the rectangular area of the battlefield, that is what is expected of him first and foremost.
Best thing a STRIKER can do to "help his team win" is to score goals. Anything else na bonus.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
GG of G
Egg
Egg

Post by GG of G »

A lot of the folks who are saying rubbish have never played football at a decent level
"Do not be Misled. God is not one to be mocked. Whatever a man is sowing, this he will also reap." Gal 6:7
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

bushboy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:22 pmBest thing a STRIKER can do to "help his team win" is to score goals. Anything else na bonus.

Utter rubbish. That shows why folks like you can never understand what it means that football is a team game. Again, the first GOAL (pun very and loudly intended) of a striker is to help his team win. If that situationally means pulling defenders to himself and out of position to create space for another TEAM member to score, then a good striker will do that. And if that situationally means dropping deep to help defend, then he will do that too. The constant is helping the team win. The variables are scoring himself, directly assisting teammates to score, indirectly assisting by creating space for teammates to score, dropping deep to help defend, etc.

Osimhen -- the striker -- was recognized by those who understand the game (including Cameroonian fans) as the top contributor to the SE's win against Cameroon despite not scoring a goal. One day you will understand what the word "team" means.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bushboy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:22 pm

People cmon!

Best thing a STRIKER can do to "help his team win" is to score goals. Anything else na bonus.
All strikers go through dry spells, me I prefer the ones where during their dry spells are not -1s on the field.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:14 am
bushboy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:22 pm

People cmon!

All strikers go through dry spells, me I prefer the ones where during their dry spells are not -1s on the field.
Osimhen is just Superman.
End of.
How he refused to go down after he stole that ball from the Cameroonian defender to lay on our first goal was just phenomenal. That was just unbelievable speed, strength, balance, composure and decision making all rolled into one in a couple of crucial seconds.
Even the sequence of passes that led to Aina’s big miss was started by Osimhen.

The guy is something else.
He has already elevated his status even more with his performance at this AFCON, because no one can say he is bullying oyibos with strength and speed.
In Africa, strength and speed can only get you so far.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

theDunamis wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:09 am
bushboy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:22 pmBest thing a STRIKER can do to "help his team win" is to score goals. Anything else na bonus.

Utter rubbish. That shows why folks like you can never understand what it means that football is a team game. Again, the first GOAL (pun very and loudly intended) of a striker is to help his team win. If that situationally means pulling defenders to himself and out of position to create space for another TEAM member to score, then a good striker will do that. And if that situationally means dropping deep to help defend, then he will do that too. The constant is helping the team win. The variables are scoring himself, directly assisting teammates to score, indirectly assisting by creating space for teammates to score, dropping deep to help defend, etc.

Osimhen -- the striker -- was recognized by those who understand the game (including Cameroonian fans) as the top contributor to the SE's win against Cameroon despite not scoring a goal. One day you will understand what the word "team" means.
Lol...my broda, this is the silliest "argument" ever. Scoring goals is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT MUST HAPPEN TO WIN A GAME. A striker can do all the above things you described, and if no goals result, the very best possible outcome is a 0-0 draw.

But if a "lazy" striker does NONE of those things, but is very clinical and takes his chance to score a goal, the odds that they win that game is increased.

The "lazy" striker doesn't advance alone. His clinical finishing means his TEAM advances, and has a chance to win a trophy.

It's not that difficult. You're just playing dumb to advance Osimhen. The irony is that I think he was brilliant in that game and I said so. I'm simply saying he can't afford to miss the chances he has.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

Oshimen is doing an amazing job so far - anyone with football knowledge will understand this. In fact he has showed maturity by passing to team mates in cases where he wasn’t best placed instead of selfishly trying to shoot. Yes he missed one or two good chances but the rest were half chances and you must remember that a lot of those chances wouldn’t even have existed if he hadn’t been able to get in position in the first place.

Of course we all hope he scores more, but the bigger goal is to win. Right now he and the team are playing smart tournament football - let’s encourage them to continue
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

My view, for what it’s worth, is that he’s had one bad game in this tournament. The game he actually scored in.

Against CIV, he missed chances but game them hell. As he did against GB.

But against Cameroun, he put in one of the legendary performances in an Eagles shirt. If we win this, than performance will go down as the catalyst for this team believing in itself.

I don’t think there’s a big debate though. He himself will have expected to score more.

So both these statements can be and are true:

Osimhen has been THE dominant player of this Afcon
And
He has scored a lot less goals than expected.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

And
Boom!
Nothing more to add!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bushboy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:09 pm
theDunamis wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:09 am

Lol...my broda, this is the silliest "argument" ever. Scoring goals is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT MUST HAPPEN TO WIN A GAME. A striker can do all the above things you described, and if no goals result, the very best possible outcome is a 0-0 draw.

But if a "lazy" striker does NONE of those things, but is very clinical and takes his chance to score a goal, the odds that they win that game is increased.

The "lazy" striker doesn't advance alone. His clinical finishing means his TEAM advances, and has a chance to win a trophy.

It's not that difficult. You're just playing dumb to advance Osimhen. The irony is that I think he was brilliant in that game and I said so. I'm simply saying he can't afford to miss the chances he has.
Vic didn’t really have any chances vs Cameroon, but he created for others even though his chance didn’t come. The lazy striker would not have created for others and we would have lost…He also plays a BIG role in our defensive solidity by first defending from the front. Then on set pieces he is at the front post and uses his leap to clear most of the balls sent in then leads the counter from there. He drops into midfield and presses and wins balls and starts counters. You are just ignoring all the incredible things Vic brings to the team as a whole even when he’s not scoring.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

bushboy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:09 pm Lol...my broda, this is the silliest "argument" ever. Scoring goals is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT MUST HAPPEN TO WIN A GAME. A striker can do all the above things you described, and if no goals result, the very best possible outcome is a 0-0 draw.

Reading and comprehension deficit. I have made the point again and again that a striker need not be the one to score and you have read and comprehended that as "if no goals result". As far as strawman arguments go, yours is definitely the most idiotic I have read on this forum. So, I have to ask, and I ask this quite frankly and honestly, are you just innocently dumb or are you willfully intellectually dishonest?

Either is a terrible ailment but one is definitely more disturbing. :)
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

theDunamis wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:00 pm
bushboy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:09 pm Lol...my broda, this is the silliest "argument" ever. Scoring goals is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT MUST HAPPEN TO WIN A GAME. A striker can do all the above things you described, and if no goals result, the very best possible outcome is a 0-0 draw.

Reading and comprehension deficit. I have made the point again and again that a striker need not be the one to score and you have read and comprehended that as "if no goals result". As far as strawman arguments go, yours is definitely the most idiotic I have read on this forum. So, I have to ask, and I ask this quite frankly and honestly, are you just innocently dumb or are you willfully intellectually dishonest?

No yawa. I don hear.
Who will be next?
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

Sleaky72 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:45 pm
And
Boom!
Nothing more to add!
Well said. Quite sure Vic knows he has not scored as much but tournament is not over. I think he comes through with goals if we keep going
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Brother, we all appreciate Osimhen, but it’s only false 9s that are allowed the luxury of not scoring. Osimhen, best we know, is not and has never been deployed as a false 9.

We love him. Appreciate him. But let’s not redefine what a 9 is just to win an argument

As a Nigerian, I will take victory anyhow we get it. But a 9 is supposed to score. That’s his specialty. Many players can work for you.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

deanotito wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:36 pm

Brother, we all appreciate Osimhen, but it’s only false 9s that are allowed the luxury of not scoring. Osimhen, best we know, is not and has never been deployed as a false 9.

We love him. Appreciate him. But let’s not redefine what a 9 is just to win an argument

As a Nigerian, I will take victory anyhow we get it. But a 9 is supposed to score. That’s his specialty. Many players can work for you.
Umm, he definitely played in a much deeper role against Cameroon with Lookman and the full backs frequently ahead of him. Not quite a false 9 because he still needed to occupy the full backs but he often drifted into deep areas and a it worked well. It wreaked havoc on the CMR backline’s shape and left spaces for Lookman in particular. Our second goals stemmed from this.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

waka-man wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:03 pm
deanotito wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:36 pm

Umm, he definitely played in a much deeper role against Cameroon with Lookman and the full backs frequently ahead of him. Not quite a false 9 because he still needed to occupy the full backs but he often drifted into deep areas and a it worked well. It wreaked havoc on the CMR backline’s shape and left spaces for Lookman in particular. Our second goals stemmed from this.
All this “not quite a false 9” talk…I don’t know what you mean. By design, in Peseiro’s system, Lookman and Simon are supposed to provide a lot of midfield and defense support. There is no way that in addition to that, Lookman is also supposed to be the target man.

Is Osimhen a 9? Yes. Then his primary responsibility is to score.

Those saying his primary responsibility is to “help the team” are just trying to bend over backwards to argue. If you see Nwabali running out for every corner trying to help his team score, will you be fine with it? Since he’s “helping” his team?
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet