Nigeria become the top-ranked team in Cote d’Ivoire after South Africa shock Morocco

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Nigeria become the top-ranked team in Cote d’Ivoire after South Africa shock Morocco

Post by iworo »

AFCON 2023: Nigeria become the top-ranked team in Cote d’Ivoire after South Africa shock Morocco

The Bafana Bafana produced the biggest result of the tournament so far, sending the best team on the continent packing

South Africa delivered the most shocking result of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations on Tuesday night inside the Stade Laurent Pokou after they handed Morocco a 2-0 defeat to advance to the quarterfinals, Soccernet.ng reports.

Morocco, the first African nation to reach the semifinals of the World Cup, were the heavy favourites to beat South Africa, who struggled to make it past the group stage, in their Round-of-16 clash.

However, second-half goals from Evidence Makgopa and Teboho Mokoena powered the Bafana Bafana to a memorable win over the Atlas Lions.

Morocco would curse their luck as star man Achraf Hakimi missed a penalty kick in the 84th minute that would have drawn them level, and Sofyan Amrabat was shown a straight red card moments before South Africa scored their second goal.

With Morocco’s elimination, Nigeria are now the best-ranked team at the AFCON.

At the start of the competition, the Super Eagles were the sixth-best team behind number-one side Morocco, defending champions Senegal, Tunisia, 2019 AFCON winners Algeria, and Egypt.

However, Senegal lost on penalties to hosts Cote d’Ivoire on Monday night, while Egypt also fell on penalties to DR Congo, as the last-16 stage claimed some continental giants.

Interestingly, Tunisia and Algeria did not make it past the group stage.

Of the eight teams left in the competition, the Super Eagles are the leading candidates, as per the FIFA rankings, followed by Cote d’Ivoire, Mali, South Africa, Congo DR, Cape Verde, Guinea, and Angola.

For the quarterfinal pairings, Nigeria will face Angola, Congo Dr and Guinea will lock horns, Mali will trade tackles with Cote d’Ivoire, and the reward for South Africa’s giant-killing exploits is a meeting with Cape Verde.

https://soccernet.ng/2024/01/afcon-2023 ... rocco.html
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria become the top-ranked team in Cote d’Ivoire after South Africa shock Morocco

Post by Tbite »

Beating Ivory Coast and Cameroon at the tournament will do wonders for our ranking.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria become the top-ranked team in Cote d’Ivoire after South Africa shock Morocco

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Tbite wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:21 am Beating Ivory Coast and Cameroon at the tournament will do wonders for our ranking.
Both were already ranked below us. South Africa might actually move into the top 5 in Africa after beating Morocco. Actually, we might actually go down in FIFA rankings. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Nigeria is already up 8 places from 42 to 34. Pretty congested right above us, but three wins could get us as high as 25th.

Nigeria is now the 3rd best team from Africa (Morocco 12th, Senegal 17th) as Egypt drops to 37th (down 6).

Mali with a huge chance to overtake Egypt, but would need a few more wins.

Angola biggest movers - up 24 to 93.
Gboye7777
Egg
Egg

Post by Gboye7777 »

Scary for me, with the regularity with which top ranked teams have been tumbling down from this tournament. I did not see mighty Morocco falling to South Africa.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:41 am
Tbite wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:21 am Beating Ivory Coast and Cameroon at the tournament will do wonders for our ranking.
Both were already ranked below us. South Africa might actually move into the top 5 in Africa after beating Morocco. Actually, we might actually go down in FIFA rankings. :laugh:
South Africa was pretty low down the rankings. They are 11th in Africa after that win and only up 4 places to 62.

From a FIFA points perspective playing Mali in the final and then getting three wins would boost Nigeria to 26th in the world.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

In this AFCON…

1) All of Africa’s 5 reps at the 2022 Qatar WC (Morocco, Tunisia, Ghana, Cameroon and Senegal) have been bounced…
2) The top 5 FIFA-ranked African teams (Morocco, Senegal, Tunisia, Algeria and Egypt) have been knocked out, and….
3) All 8 Q-finalists from the last AFCON 2021 (B/Faso, EQ Guinea, Gambia, Senegal, Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia) are out!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

South Africa trying to be AFCON & WAFCON champs. I’ll be damned.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:41 am
They were marginally below us.

Anyway let me try and work through it.

P=Pbefore+I(W-We)

We = 1/ 10 - dr/600 +1

Difference our points with CIV was 26.79

So 1/ 10 ^ - 26.79/600 + 1 = 0.47432000967149958095435436924904

So 1474.44 + 35 (1 - 0.47432000967149958095435436924904)

= 18.398 points gained from the CIV match

Correct me if I did the math wrong.
Last edited by Tbite on Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

P=Pbefore+I(W-We)

We = 1/ 10 - dr/600 +1

Difference our points with Cam was 11.38

So 1/ 10 ^ - 11.38/600 + 1 = 0.48908364400364703391796219812461

So 1474.44 + 35 (1 - 0.48908364400364703391796219812461 )

= 17.88 points gained from the Cam match

The negative point differential is what I am not sure about mostly. I ignored it. But I will check to see what it looks like if I don't ignore it. Ok it seems like it makes a slight difference. The points total above I think would be what CIV and Cameroon would have gained if they had won.

The point that Nigeria actually would gain from beating CIV is 16.60 (If my math is correct, please fact check me).
and the points that Nigeria actually would gain from beating Cam is 17.12

If my calculations are correct, then these results DO in fact make a noticeable difference to our rankings. Because the Confederation coefficient is pretty damn high, even pre quarter finals.

Angola's ranking may be low for example but the coefficient goes up to 40!