Nigeria vs Angola (1-0) Lookman x1, Moses assist FT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria vs Angola (1-0) Lookman x1, Moses assist 2H

Post by metalalloy »

davidbam14 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:01 pm
danfo driver wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:47 pm Glad to be in the Semis. But two things --

- very poorly managed game
- this game once again highlights the importance of picking your squad on merit
- this game once again highlights the fact that our players need to learn humility when they play smaller teams. They need to prosecute the game with the same discipline. Very disappointing.
thank God we won but i'm not sure about our coach anymore, the angolan coach understands tactics. If the angolan coach was in charge of nigeria how good we'll be.
He can understand his tactics in his house while the tacticless nigerian goal proceeds in the tourney.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

danfo driver wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:47 pm Glad to be in the Semis. But two things --

- this game once again highlights the fact that our players need to learn humility when they play smaller teams. They need to prosecute the game with the same discipline. Very disappointing.
thank God we won but i'm not sure about our coach anymore, the angolan coach understands tactics. If the angolan coach was in charge of nigeria how good we'll be.
Huh! :roll: You must be hitting the pipe :lol:.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

iworo wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:19 pm

Huh! :roll: You must be hitting the pipe :lol:.
Baba's head definitely no dey house
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
delisyomie don
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria vs Angola (1-0) Lookman x1, Moses assist FT

Post by delisyomie don »

wanaj0 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:00 pm
Goldleaf wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:53 pm To be honest, Angola was poor and un-inventive lacking any creativity.
SE was better them on all accounts and knew what to do with the ball when we had it,
Their star names Dala and Mabululu were missing.
With us playing so deep especially in the 2nd half with no pressure on the ball, a clever side would have taken us to the cleaners. You just need good movement and a pass behind the back 4.
No be una fault. Na Nwabali cause am! If he had not made those fantastic saves you will not be saying what you are saying.
not that is Angola poor, but it is hard to play against defensive play with the right players just what the Eagles are doing at this afcon and Morrocco was at the world cup.
thanks
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Na wa !!! Nigeria denied Angola players all the money promised them. With all their high scoring they could not score.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:33 pm

This is the best thing on the internet today :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

That Anty is my woman of the match :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

When Aunty tells you to calm down, you know say wahala dey :rotf:
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Congrats to the boys on the win. We are playing too negative by allowing our opponents way too much possession and sitting too deep. Makes it more difficult to launch a counter cause we typically win the ball so deep in our half. Osimhen rarely sees the ball and mainly gets low percentage opportunities.

Switching from a 3-4-3 to 3-5-2 may help. Play Yusuf and Onyeka with Iwobi ahead of them, then Osimhen and Lookman as the front two.

Zaidu is really killing off moves on the left with his final ball and Simon needs to make his final ball quicker. No need to take 2 or 3 touches when one pass will do.

In a 3-5-2 we can play Simon or Aina as the LWB and Osayi (if fit) or Aina as the RWB. Bassey or Bruno are also potential WB options, but not sure if either of them can play as WBs for 90 minutes. I'm tired of seeing Zaidu there.
Last edited by olu on Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sarkin doya
Egg
Egg

Post by sarkin doya »

Angola was a dangerous team given their play in earlier games in this Afcon. However, SE mostly nullified their attacking threat.

There were two or three heart stopping moments in SE defence - Nwabali made one great save in the first half, diving low and then we have the post to thank in the second half when the Angolan attacker was through.

Apart from the above, Nwabali didn't have too much to do.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I wouldn't mind us going for the Angolan coach in the event Peseiro does Shakara for us and walks off a contract renewal.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

sarkin doya wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:43 pm Angola was a dangerous team given their play in earlier games in this Afcon. However, SE mostly nullified their attacking threat.

There were two or three heart stopping moments in SE defence - Nwabali made one great save in the first half, diving low and then we have the post to thank in the second half when the Angolan attacker was through.

Apart from the above, Nwabali didn't have too much to do.
Angola was the highest goal scoring team in the tournament coming into this game so only a fool would have underrated their attacking threats, I mean this was a team that easily topped their group with a game to spare! there was only one team that could nullify Angola today and that team was Nigeria...our defensive discipline was always going to humble them, and you could see they were very cautious against us.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

miky
Egg
Egg

Post by miky »

Nigeria is very very hard to beat. I know we dey shake, but honestly wow. Never seen us this dominant. Everytime they attack sef, its like they about to score
A lion never dies it sleeps (Rip..Foe)

An Eagle never dies it soars Rip (Big Boss)
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

A first-half goal from Ademola Lookman was enough to help Nigeria overcome Angola and reach the semi-finals of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations.

The former England Under-21 winger emphatically converted a cut-back from Moses Simon four minutes before the break in Abidjan.

The 1-0 scoreline flattered Angola, who were second best for long periods of the game, and Nigeria striker Victor Osimhen had a 75th-minute header ruled out for offside by the video assistant referee (VAR).

Angola's best chance fell to Zine, who rolled the ball against the base of the post when clean through on goal just before the hour mark.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68102471

If possible, the humidity inside the Felix Houphouet-Boigny Stadium appeared to have gone up another notch from previous games at the finals but both sets of players gave their all despite the conditions to entertain what ended up being a near-capacity crowd.
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

wanaj0 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:51 pm Nwabali made the difference
what a goalkeeper we have discovered! When you do things on merit, you are less likely to regret it. I wish i could say this is a foundation from which we could build, but I know that wont happen. They will rest on him and keep the other two as number 2 and 3 and pretend that we dont need anymore goalkeepers. :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:52 pm

Sharap dia
With your face like agidi :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Goldleaf wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:53 pm To be honest, Angola was poor and un-inventive lacking any creativity.
SE was better them on all accounts and knew what to do with the ball when we had it,
Their star names Dala and Mabululu were missing.
With us playing so deep especially in the 2nd half with no pressure on the ball, a clever side would have taken us to the cleaners. You just need good movement and a pass behind the back 4.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I dont think people understand how diffcult it is to play against us, as a team, and the best player on the continent. What did you want Angola to do?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Funny enough, the Angolan coach was the coach of the Sporting Lisbon youth team, when our coach was the coach of the first team. The Angolan guy is clearly better, while we have hired our own because he is Mourinho's friend.

However, he has met "his target." While I do not believe that it is sufficient to get a new contract, I think I am okay with it, if thats the case. Hopefully, we win and when he tastes victory, it completely reinvigorates him and makes him more hungry.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Elexus wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:02 pm Eagles had an off day today. A lot of misplaced passes in the final third, an uncharacteristic blunder in the defense exposing Nawabali to the tender mercy of the Angolan forward. Aina's blunder led to the first corner in the first half, and again Nwabali bailed Nigeria out.
It wasnt an off day. We played with the same irresponsibility that we play with, when we play against supposed weaker teams. I am concerned about that.