REMEMBER WHEN THEY SAID BASSEY WAS STRUGGLING WITH AFRICAN FOOTBALL?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
REMEMBER WHEN THEY SAID BASSEY WAS STRUGGLING WITH AFRICAN FOOTBALL?

Post by danfo driver »

Dude has been the best defender in this tournament by a mile! he has dominated every players he has come against and made them look like kids. It is clear that he was very unsettled when he moved to Ajax and like I predicted, his move to Fulham has been very good for him.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: REMEMBER WHEN THEY SAID BASSEY WAS STRUGGLING WITH AFRICAN FOOTBALL?

Post by Undertaker »

Is he out of the semi-final with two yellow cards?
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

honestly based on what i read on CE, I was not expecting much.
CE really knows how to complain.
He's a solid player
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Thanks to Egu for Capping him along with Lookman vs Ghana. They've been class
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Undertaker wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:18 pm Is he out of the semi-final with two yellow cards?
No.

Bassey, Aina, Simon all have a yellow going into the semis.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:31 pm Thanks to Egu for Capping him along with Lookman vs Ghana. They've been class
It's Pinnick you should be thanking.

Dude doesn't get enough credit.

Remember Peseiro is Pinnicks doing as well.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Bassey has been punking players during this AFCON. I’m glad he went to Ajax because that disappointment has made him a better player. We need to get Tosin & add him to the mix because those two have a solid chemistry.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

I don't know why people keep saying that. Person wen grow for ghetto! Is african football tougher than the EPL? Remember Oliseh also told Ekong that he was too soft for african football.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

I don’t think he is a good fullback. But he is okay in the centre back position. I like him more as one of three but not when we play a traditional back four. We have not kept a clean sheet with the Ajayi Bassey partnership before the tournament
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Flex Swift wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:24 pm I don’t think he is a good fullback. But he is okay in the centre back position. I like him more as one of three but not when we play a traditional back four. We have not kept a clean sheet with the Ajayi Bassey partnership before the tournament
The Ajayi and Bassey partnership was inexperienced and needed an experienced player beside either one of them.
Lolly and myself pointed this out during the WCQs
I am happy
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Flex Swift wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:24 pm I don’t think he is a good fullback. But he is okay in the centre back position. I like him more as one of three but not when we play a traditional back four. We have not kept a clean sheet with the Ajayi Bassey partnership before the tournament
For a CB/LB he crosses the ball better than most of our natural wing backs. He even attacks better than Zaidu. Ajayi is the one that may need to be replaced at some point if Ekong continues to boss it and one of TOsin/ogbo/Osho comes through.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

packerland wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:44 pm
For a CB/LB he crosses the ball better than most of our natural wing backs. He even attacks better than Zaidu. Ajayi is the one that may need to be replaced at some point if Ekong continues to boss it and one of TOsin/ogbo/Osho comes through.
He has a good left foot but in games where he has played left back for Nigeria he has been poor example the home game against Ghana.

You might be right that Ajayi should drop out when we play a traditional back four allowing him to partner Troost.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Flex Swift wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:50 pm
He has a good left foot but in games where he has played left back for Nigeria he has been poor example the home game against Ghana.

You might be right that Ajayi should drop out when we play a traditional back four allowing him to partner Troost.
Yes, I remember the Ghananian player zipping past him in a blink of an eye. The truth is that he was young and no one played well in that match. The players looked unfit and our midfield was bare. Bassey is like Daley Blind. A guy that you want to play as a CB but you can slot him as a LB when needed. I’m glad Fulham is playing him mostly as a CB.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

gochino wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:02 pm I don't know why people keep saying that. Person wen grow for ghetto! Is african football tougher than the EPL? Remember Oliseh also told Ekong that he was too soft for african football.
The guy tried to ruin our footie I swear! But back to the topic, Bassey has been so dominant in this tourney I at times feel bad for our opponents when they try to go at him…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

He has been excellent at LCB. His delivery is much better than Zaidu's and he has looked good whenever he has been pushed up to LWB in the second half. I do wonder tho if he can play as a LWB for 90 minutes. Peseiro seems reluctant to start him there.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

gochino wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:02 pm I don't know why people keep saying that. Person wen grow for ghetto! Is african football tougher than the EPL? Remember Oliseh also told Ekong that he was too soft for african football.
Gochino

There is indeed an adjustment period that should be acknowledged. One is the refereeing but increasingly the difference is closing. Previously, there was more contact allowed in football played in the continent. Additionally, and overall, aggressiveness is a factor and many of our players who grew up in Europe have experienced it. Bassey gave an interview, I believe after his debut, to point to this. Thus, it is not fictional.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:42 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:31 pm Thanks to Egu for Capping him along with Lookman vs Ghana. They've been class
It's Pinnick you should be thanking.

Dude doesn't get enough credit.

Remember Peseiro is Pinnicks doing as well.
I knew you'd been worshipping Pinnick. VE, are you ethnically Nigerian? I know you and Pinnick have something in common - love for everything foreign. VE, are you ethnically Nigerian?
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Flex Swift wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:50 pm

The Ghana game was almost two years ago. He’s a completely different proposition now.

One of the best sporting experiences of my life was watching Bassey pocket a succession of Ivorian wide players right in front me in the stands two weeks ago. It was Ashley Cole-esque.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I don’t know about struggling with African football, but when he started playing for us, he was put in central defense, and he looked like a walking penalty kick.

I will add that many said he was being played out of position, and that he was really a left back. Not sure I believed them then. But I definitely believe them now. He’s been so solid
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I know it may seem like I’m picking on the guy but I only want the best available.
Ajayi is a poor man’s Adarabioyo.
Nothing he can do that Tosin can’t do much better.

Ekong is having a great tournament but his time is limited and a successor should be in the works by now.
Omeruo and Awaziem offer nothing new.
Somewhere in the mix should be Ndah, Ugbo, Osho and that kid at Brentford.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Bassey has been solid in this tournament, but I think it's the 3 man defense system that is making him as successful. He struggled in the games he was played as one of 2 CBs, even at the clubs he has played for. I would start Ajayi ahead of him in a 2 man CB formation.

Adarabioyo is a pipe dream hype. Until he laces up for Nigeria and performs well, I would start all our current defenders ahead of him.
Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:54 pm
I know it may seem like I’m picking on the guy but I only want the best available.

Ekong is having a great tournament but his time is limited and a successor should be in the works by now.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Brah, not really.
My ‘sauces’ tell me he is much closer to signing than we think.
But yes, I’m not getting excited until it happens. But it will.
1naija wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:52 pm Bassey has been solid in this tournament, but I think it's the 3 man defense system that is making him as successful. He struggled in the games he was played as one of 2 CBs, even at the clubs he has played for. I would start Ajayi ahead of him in a 2 man CB formation.

Adarabioyo is a pipe dream hype. Until he laces up for Nigeria and performs well, I would start all our current defenders ahead of him.
Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:54 pm

"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "