Eagles’ semi is in Bouake not Abidjan

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

lukemana
Egg
Egg
Re: Eagles’ semi is in Bouake not Abidjan

Post by lukemana »

tedder89 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:14 pm
lukemana wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:54 pm
tedder89 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:19 am Our game on Wednesday means we’re playing in a different stadium (and on a different pitch) in Bouake for the first time, all our games so far have been in Abidjan

Stade de la Paix, Bouake (capacity 40,000)

The Felix Houphouet-Boigny Stadium pitch in Abidjan has been particularly difficult to play on and has made the brutal heat and humidity even harder to cope with

From what I saw of the first round games in Bouake the playing surface looks much better than the two in Abidjan we’ve played on
Small correction: Wednesday game will NOT be the first time we are playing in Bouake. During the Nations Cup of 1984, we played there and i remember we beat Ghana 2-1. It was in the time of Clement Temile, Henry Nwosu, Muda Lawal, Stephen Keshi (rip), goal King Rashidi Yekini (rip), llebu Chidozie or Chibudor(not sure of the name any more) etc... Ghana had the likes of Opoku Nti, Papa Arko, Seth Ampadu, Kofi Badu etc...

Chief Oningbinde was our coach then and we lost the final game against Cameroon 1 - 3.Cameroon had a good machine then, Abega Theophile (rip), Audu, the great Thomas Nkono, Roger Milla etc.... Kai, the good old days.

Cheeers!
I was referring to this competition only but thanks for the memories!

You’re thinking of late Chibuzor Ehilegbu RIP
Yes, that's him. Good player. I even didnt know that he passed away. May he rip.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

tedder89 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:19 am Our game on Wednesday means we’re playing in a different stadium (and on a different pitch) in Bouake for the first time, all our games so far have been in Abidjan

The Felix Houphouet-Boigny Stadium pitch in Abidjan has been particularly difficult to play on and has made the brutal heat and humidity even harder to cope with

From what I saw of the first round games in Bouake the playing surface looks much better than the two in Abidjan we’ve played on
Small correction: Wednesday game will NOT be the first time we are playing in Bouake. During the Nations Cup of 1984, we played there and i remember we beat Ghana 2-1. It was in the time of Clement Temile, Henry Nwosu, Muda Lawal, Stephen Keshi (rip), goal King Rashidi Yekini (rip), llebu Chidozie or Chibudor(not sure of the name any more) etc... Ghana had the likes of Opoku Nti, Papa Arko, Seth Ampadu, Kofi Badu etc...

Chief Oningbinde was our coach then and we lost the final game against Cameroon 1 - 3.Cameroon had a good machine then, Abega Theophile (rip), Audu, the great Thomas Nkono, Roger Milla etc.... Kai, the good old days.

Cheeers!

Are you sure Ehilegbu is dead? I’ve not heard that at all…
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
tedder89
Egg
Egg

Post by tedder89 »

waka-man wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:46 pm

Cheeers!

Are you sure Ehilegbu is dead? I’ve not heard that at all…
My bad, mixing him up with Osaro Obobaifo who wasn’t in that generation but represented Naija later
IN OUR CASE, THERE IS NO TIME. NO SERIOUS COACH WILL TAKE THIS JOB

Pasamu on Monday Feb 22nd 2010 post ANC- I will repeat again, the problem with our team was never ability or personnel or even tactics . It was confidence pure and simple confidence. Amodus team had been spat upon, anything they did was dismissed as insignificant To see the team going from playing brilliant football against Egypt in the first half of their ANC group game to the cautious fear laden play against Zambia was sad.
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Chibuzor Ehilegbu. Fantastic player and inside left. Like Okpodu, the Olukanmi brothers, he fled to America.

Damn! What a player. Kai
tedder89
Egg
Egg

Post by tedder89 »

https://soccernet.ng/2024/02/afcon-2023 ... frica.html

AFCON 2023: Three interesting facts about Stade de la Paix Bouake- Venue for Nigeria vs South Africa
Kelvin Omachonu

The Super Eagles will lock horns with South Africa on Wednesday in the semi-final of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations at Stade de la Paix, Bouake.

The tie promises to be an interesting one given the past rivalry between both countries, albeit Nigeria have far better quality players on paper.

Going into the fixture, both teams have never played in Bouake. So, they would have to adjust to playing on a new turf.

Ahead of the semi-finals, Soccernet.ng shares some interesting facts about the Stade de la Paix.

The Stade de la Paix is the second-largest stadium in Ivory Coast in terms of size after the Alassane Ouattara Stadium. The stadium has a 40,000 capacity and is home to Ivorian club FC Bouake. It is also a multi-purpose stadium and has played host to some athletics events.

At this AFCON, Bouake has enjoyed its fair share of games as Stade de la Paix has witnessed eight games with an average of 29,767 fans per game. As such, the Super Eagles should expect many fans at the stadium when they play.

The stadium has witnessed upsets, as It was in the same stadium that nine-man Ivory Coast beat Mali 2-1 in the quarter-final. Algeria also lost to Mauritania in the group stage, which knocked them out of the 2023 AFCON.

Nigeria has never lost in Bouake
Nigeria have played three competitive games at the Stade de la Paix in Bouake, and they have never lost any. They played all three of their group games in the 1984 AFCON at Bouake. They played Algeria, Ghana, and Malawi in the competition, and they picked up one win and two draws.

Pasamu on Monday Feb 22nd 2010 post ANC- I will repeat again, the problem with our team was never ability or personnel or even tactics . It was confidence pure and simple confidence. Amodus team had been spat upon, anything they did was dismissed as insignificant To see the team going from playing brilliant football against Egypt in the first half of their ANC group game to the cautious fear laden play against Zambia was sad.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

nzeogwu wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:07 am Chibuzor Ehilegbu. Fantastic player and inside left. Like Okpodu, the Olukanmi brothers, he fled to America.

Damn! What a player. Kai
What a player he was injured in the final that is one of the reasons we lost in the final to Cameroon.

Anotherreason was the policy of rotating the goalkeepers and in the final we fielded a useless Okala instead Peter Rufai. Furthermore we replaced Chibuzor with Henry Nwosu a useless player committed only to Guinness rather than football.
tedder89
Egg
Egg

Post by tedder89 »

Temperature will be in the 80s but humidity will be much lower in Bouake

Bouake - On Wednesday, the average humidity will be 25% Gametime 5 pm 14%

Abidjan - On Wednesday, the average humidity will be 73% Gametime 5 pm 60%

Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Nna bros,

Who told you Percy Tau is retired?

Cmoke :D :D :D :D
sarkin doya wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:59 pm
ANC wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:45 am RSA or Cape Verde, who do you prefer?
To be honest. Neither. Either one will give the SE a tough time.

In recent years, South AFrica have been difficult for the SE. I remember Percy Tau tormenting the SE and although he is now retired, and the game may have been 8 or 9 yrs back, I will always remember Tokelo Rantie tormenting the SE (maybe with Omeruo playing).

As for Cape Verde, they are a tough team to play against. They did very well in the group stage against Ghana and Eygpt. I am watching their game against Bafana Bafana now and they are a good team.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Cmoke wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:00 am Nna bros,

In recent years, South AFrica have been difficult for the SE. I remember Percy Tau tormenting the SE and although he is now retired, and the game may have been 8 or 9 yrs back, I will always remember Tokelo Rantie tormenting the SE (maybe with Omeruo playing).

As for Cape Verde, they are a tough team to play against. They did very well in the group stage against Ghana and Eygpt. I am watching their game against Bafana Bafana now and they are a good team.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Cmoke wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:00 am Nna bros,

...I guess sarkin listens to or watches football like they do in 1970s, on transistor radio :biggrin: