My concern about the SA game.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: My concern about the SA game.

Post by Tobi17 »

donadoni wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:28 pm Are we better than SA in every department of the game?
We're about on par with them in every department, we're marginally better in attack but we haven't played to that strength because of the profligacy of our "world class" strikers...we are at 60/40 odds to win cause South Africa traditionally struggle against West African teams, and our defence has looked better than theirs.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:44 pm
donadoni wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:28 pm Are we better than SA in every department of the game?
We're about on par with them in every department, we're marginally better in attack but we haven't played to that strength because of the profligacy of our "world class" strikers...we are at 60/40 odds to win cause South Africa traditionally struggle against West African teams, and our defence has looked better than theirs.
you are just being modest.
RSA is only better in terms of perhaps team chemistry and goal keeping.
Its night and day, the gap b/w the two. Now that does not mean SE will beat them.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

On paper? yes.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Goodness me. Some of you must be tough to be around. Real downers. Worry, worry, worry. ‘If it goes to penalties, we’re done”. Really?

Jeez.

SE are the superior team with superior players. It’s football so anything can happen, but we should win. Man up. Let your wives wear the skirts and blouses.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:26 pm My only concern is if we go to penalties.

Then we are done.

Peseiro needs to be more proactive in an attacking sense. This 343 cannot work forever. Especially against weaker teams, we need to come out and attack,without being reckless.

I also hope Peseiro knows that this 343 isn't going to work for WCQ. That is a recipe to get a bunch of draws.
Abeg make we hear word :roll: We have gotten 3 shots on goal in every single game, and have pretty much dominated all of them. They need to be more clinical with the repeated clear cut chances they get simple and short. There is no reason why this system can't work in the WCQ. None.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

waka-man wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:28 am Goodness me. Some of you must be tough to be around. Real downers. Worry, worry, worry. ‘If it goes to penalties, we’re done”. Really?

Jeez.

SE are the superior team with superior players. It’s football so anything can happen, but we should win. Man up. Let your wives wear the skirts and blouses.
:rotf: :rotf: Allow dem. Same SA that has been competing with Elon Musk to launch missiles into space with their shots from 50 meters? :rotf: They have been ok and really should have lost that game to CV. Anything can happen, but SA should be scared to face this Nigerian team that has looked pretty unbendable so far in the tourney.

Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: My concern about the SA game.9

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

jungle-jawara wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:02 am The good thing about the semis is that the SAs don't have to pack their bags. They get to wait and play the loser's final after they loose to the super eagles.
Loose ?? :taunt: :D
A criminal trial is not a search for truth. Science is a search for truth. Alan Dershowitz
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Field Marshall Ogolo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:06 am
jungle-jawara wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:02 am The good thing about the semis is that the SAs don't have to pack their bags. They get to wait and play the loser's final after they loose to the super eagles.
yeap the defence would be loose like a kenyan call girl.
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

ANC wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:10 am
You think we don't know about your leaking defence? Who's the new Celestine Babayaro?
A criminal trial is not a search for truth. Science is a search for truth. Alan Dershowitz
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Field Marshall Ogolo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:29 am
ANC wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:10 am
You think we don't know about your leaking defence? Who's the new Celestine Babayaro?
:D Some say he is the new Paolo Maldini
Me thinks not.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

If somehow this match goes to PK, Peseiro better not let a rusty Ahmed Musa take one in the name of experience. That’s what Waldrum did with a rusty Desire Oparanozie and we know how that turned out.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

packerland wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:28 am If somehow this match goes to PK, Peseiro better not let a rusty Ahmed Musa take one in the name of experience. That’s what Waldrum did with a rusty Desire Oparanozie and we know how that turned out.
WTF?
Musa will play?
Please Damunk, prescribe something, anything, for Vancity.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Babadee wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:38 pm My concern is that they are a pack the bus team and will play for a draw. Knowing that in they have a penalty stopper in post.

If Peseiro practices set pieces and shots outside of the box. I trust osimhen or lookman will get followup.

also Zaidu and Aina get chances but squander them.

Iwobi will be very key in this game.
South Africa is not a pack the bus team. They actually may out possess SE. I believe that Nigeria will win this game by a two goal margin even though South Africa will win the game of possession. They will huff and puff but will have few real chances at scoring. Nigeria will have several and may even include a Pk. Just my thoughts. What we need, though, is a score before half time.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:43 am
Babadee wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:38 pm My concern is that they are a pack the bus team and will play for a draw. Knowing that in they have a penalty stopper in post.

If Peseiro practices set pieces and shots outside of the box. I trust osimhen or lookman will get followup.

also Zaidu and Aina get chances but squander them.

Iwobi will be very key in this game.
South Africa is not a pack the bus team. They actually may out possess SE. I believe that Nigeria will win this game by a two goal margin even though South Africa will win the game of possession. They will huff and puff but will have few real chances at scoring. Nigeria will have several and may even include a Pk. Just my thoughts. What we need, though, is a score before half time.
my thoughts exactly, then rest some players.
davidbam14
Egg
Egg

Post by davidbam14 »

ANC wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:53 pm
Its night and day, the gap b/w the two. Now that does not mean SE will beat them.
:thumb: I completely agree we are better than south Africa but for the goalkeeping department.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Prior to facing Cameroon, every keeper we’ve faced including during the friendlies we’ve turned into Peter Schmichael. I hope Williams will not have a career day. We need to be calm & take our chances.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

davidbam14 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:39 am
ANC wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:53 pm
:thumb: I completely agree we are better than south Africa but for the goalkeeping department.
...SA Williams was/is good and exceptional at PKs therefore we gonna win at regulation, kpom dat!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

packerland wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:28 am If somehow this match goes to PK, Peseiro better not let a rusty Ahmed Musa take one in the name of experience. That’s what Waldrum did with a rusty Desire Oparanozie and we know how that turned out.
...Oparanozie is no Musa, and women game is not men match.
That said, any player can score or miss a pk shootout, it's all in the mind.
Let's hope we don't get there having seen SA exploits.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:47 pm Peseiro is getting too comfortable playing one way.

I suspect SA will park the bus, their coach is not a fool. They will sit back.

It's up to us to force the issue, and with Peseiro too comfortable with this compact formation, I am worried. I believe this will be the first match Peseiro will be FORCED to change formation and tactics. Will he pass the test ?

Remember in 2021 our offense was clicking in the first round until it was rendered ineffective and useless against Tunisia.

I forsee something similar. Peseiro better be ready to improvise and not be so rigid.

Liberating Iwobi from his garbage duties will be key for this match IMO. I've been saying it.
It’s a relief to see someone use this term correctly.
Any time I see someone write ‘pack’ the bus, e dey chook me for bodi like an Awaziem own goal.
:curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:18 pm The chances have been getting less and less by each game we play.

However finishing has improved.

We are not creating enough IMO.
We create enough chances to win games. All we have to do is take our chances. TBH is there is a team we don't need a lot of goals to beat it is this SA team. I can see us scoring more than 2 goals in this game
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Robbynice wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:08 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:18 pm The chances have been getting less and less by each game we play.

However finishing has improved.

We are not creating enough IMO.
We create enough chances to win games. All we have to do is take our chances. TBH is there is a team we don't need a lot of goals to beat it is this SA team. I can see us scoring more than 2 goals in this game
Tell dem. SA are a poor man’s version of NGR. Well organised. Decent midfield. Their strike force is weak and we should be able to handle them. Plus our front three are playing well enough to continue to create chances.

I’m calling this at 2-0 with the SE barely troubled.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

My concern is our fitness. Our players have exerted a lot of energy in this tournament in our new 5-4-1 formation and it showed towards the end against Angola. The South Africans are neat and tidy on the ball and we would do a lot more running trying to close them down. I hope we don't concede an early goal, or should I say I hope we score before them.

Nwabali would be tested in this game especially from long range shots and freekicks from Mokoena.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Lolly wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:43 pm My concern is our fitness. Our players have exerted a lot of energy in this tournament in our new 5-4-1 formation and it showed towards the end against Angola. The South Africans are neat and tidy on the ball and we would do a lot more running trying to close them down. I hope we don't concede an early goal, or should I say I hope we score before them.

Nwabali would be tested in this game especially from long range shots and freekicks from Mokoena.
We've had an extra days rest while they played extra time against Cape Verde. They are also on average an older side I believe. Honestly it is ours to lose. It could happen that we have a nightmare and lose the game, but I doubt it.

I think we will win comfortably. I expect a ssimilar game like we had against Angola just because it will be nervy.