Nigeria vs South Africa (1-1) Ekong, Mokoena 4-2 PK

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ojafranpa
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria vs South Africa (0-0)

Post by ojafranpa »

metalalloy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:38 pm
ojafranpa wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:36 pm How can you as a team give all the initiative to your opponent and we said we have the superior players.
They are not "giving" anything. This is a semi final match for crying out loud. Did yall expect SA to come here and bend over?
Make good thinking a priority so that you can make Godly placement a possibility.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria vs South Africa (0-0) HT

Post by maceo4 »

Thing is Vic and the front 3 don’t have the energy to press high today so they are allowing these balls to get dropped behind our ‘slow’ CBs. Our strategy falls apart if we can’t press high to prevent those passes. I hope the coach changes something, but we wont survive these constant balls over the top…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Tobi17 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:38 pm Lol we will beat South Africa
I hope you are correct, Tobi17; else I don't like what I am seeing in this game. Why did our coach not use our rampaging 3-5-2 format?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

azuka wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:34 pm Lukeman and Simon are not playing like the played in previous matches. They are not falling back enough and that's making Onyeka running all over chasing balls trying to cover ground. Lukeman and Simon should fall back more to assist him
Add Onyeka who has been clueless to the list, and Osimhen who is clearly not a hundred percent.
Lazy analysts quickly pouncing on the coach, as if he can walk on the field and play for these players
tedder89
Egg
Egg

Post by tedder89 »

Conditions are much better than in Abidjan; humidity is much lower yet we are not pressing the SA defenders

They have so much time to pass the ball around or play the long ball or diagonal
IN OUR CASE, THERE IS NO TIME. NO SERIOUS COACH WILL TAKE THIS JOB

Pasamu on Monday Feb 22nd 2010 post ANC- I will repeat again, the problem with our team was never ability or personnel or even tactics . It was confidence pure and simple confidence. Amodus team had been spat upon, anything they did was dismissed as insignificant To see the team going from playing brilliant football against Egypt in the first half of their ANC group game to the cautious fear laden play against Zambia was sad.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

txj wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:35 pm
danfo driver wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:31 pm At the water break, Brooz changed his tactics. Moved Tau to the space between Ajayi and Osayi. And they are dropping over head passes in that space, with their number 9 hanging around for second balls.

He did change the press/shape also

I think we need Omeruo so he can move Aina to right
Can’t agree more….Aina is killing us in the left
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

1. Iwobi is not getting us forward.
2. Osayi is loosing his positions and allowing SAs to either close him down, or getting behind him
3. Balls are not getting to our wingers enough
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Both teams have played below par tbh, we definitely need to tweak that formation now and play a 3 man midfield.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Omo see schooling in footy. They were literally toiling with the SE. Zaidu needs to come on for Osayi and chukweze for Iwobi. I knew the SE where overhyped and a decent team will expose them but not this bad. They need a no nonsense defender like Zaidu in that defense before things completely fall apart.
Last edited by oscar52 on Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Tbite wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:39 pm This is what I meant by drilled sequences. South Africa'song balls are not speculative. That is pure tactics. The way they deliver their long balls is dangerous. They loft it rather than direct it. Over the defense and the striker times the point of interception.

A Nigerian long ball would be hit more direct and easily cut out.

This South Africans are playing with a lot of intelligence.
Yup!!!

But dont worry, when this match is over, and we win, Nigerians will come and tell us how Peseiro is the best thing since sliced bread :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
davidbam14
Egg
Egg

Post by davidbam14 »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:36 pm
fabio wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:35 pm
Lolly wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:22 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:17 pm The defense is not the same like before
Zaidu’s absence and Aina playing on the left.
Are you saying SE is missing Zaidu?
yes we are. big time
It hurts to say it but we miss sanusi, we need to move Aina back and bring in omereo
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Omo see schooling in footy. They were literally toiling with the SE. Zaidu needs to come on for Osimhen and chukweze for Iwobi. I knew the SE where overhyped and a decent team will expose them but not this bad. They need a no nonsense defender like Zaidu in that defense before things completely fall apart.
mutiman
Egg
Egg

Post by mutiman »

metalalloy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:25 pm
fabio wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:22 pm Without Zaidu, the formation seems flat!
I disagree. I highly doubt Zaidu makes a difference. They just have to adjust to the south African style of play. It requires a ton of patience and to avoid committing early. The SA's are just passing and moving. while we chase shadows. Let them do all that passing, close passing lanes and hit them when they inevitably make a mistake.

our current highline is a disaster waiting to happen
Zaidu or another left-back makes a ton of difference. The balance is just not there, if they had taken one of their chances we'd be chasing the game now. That is NOT where we want to be, especially with heat and the fact they're a counter attacking team.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

fabio wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:35 pm
Lolly wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:22 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:17 pm The defense is not the same like before
Zaidu’s absence and Aina playing on the left.
Are you saying SE is missing Zaidu?
Missing him and missing Aina on the right. Notice Aina is not himself on the left and Osayi is not confident bombing forward.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

In terms of the attack, Nigeria has a bad habit of letting the defenders sit. Why let them sit? Play the pass when they are still out of position. Don't dwell on the ball. South Africa's press is more effective because they don't sit on the ball.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

Apart from poor passes/touches our main issue is lack of intensity. And in a way they are related - when you are playing with intensity you tend to be sharper with your pass completion. Oshimen was really struggling to play his normal game and so we lacked that high press and hustle we have had. But he seemed to come back to life in the few mins of the half. Let’s see
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sleaky72 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:40 pm
azuka wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:34 pm Lukeman and Simon are not playing like the played in previous matches. They are not falling back enough and that's making Onyeka running all over chasing balls trying to cover ground. Lukeman and Simon should fall back more to assist him
Add Onyeka who has been clueless to the list, and Osimhen who is clearly not a hundred percent.
Lazy analysts quickly pouncing on the coach, as if he can walk on the field and play for these players
I think Onyeka has done reasonably well, on the contrary. However, he has conceded some FKs but is that not his style? LOL.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

These S. Africans are useless. Cape Verde would have scored two goals by now. The S. Africans will rue not scoring when Nigeria scores one goal and parks in front of goal even more.

Anyway, these are the least generous defenses so expect a 1-0 score line or penalties.
Hopefully, one team will get tired and another will take advantage.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

We will do well to win this match. They are dropping the ball on our right and we are not winning the first ball.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

green4life wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:40 pm Easily our worst performance so far in this tournament. South Africa is playing as I expected but our levels have dropped from previous games. Osimhen is playing like he's saving his energy unless the stomach cramps early in the game is slowing him down. The effort is there from the players but they aren't playing well as a team compared to the prior 2 or 3 games which has allowed SA to string some passes together. Also, we need to keep an eye out on their long passes from the back.

I'm not a fan of playing half fit players.

You can see a difference in our press. We need to pressure the defenders a little more to better control the long balls over the top, OR push up a little more
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

One sided - Very. S.A gets into shape very fast in transition taking away any counterattacks plus we're not quick passers of the ball. We need a little tampering with our formation
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

mapet wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:41 pm 1. Iwobi is not getting us forward.
2. Osayi is loosing his positions and allowing SAs to either close him down, or getting behind him
3. Balls are not getting to our wingers enough
Nothing to do with Iwobi….

Osayi and Aina are killing us…. Swap Osayi with Omeruo… return Aina to the Right.

Osayi is being targeted
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Again we are sitting to deep and allowing SA too much possession.