So good players exist in NPFL?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

lacidi
Egg
Egg
So good players exist in NPFL?

Post by lacidi »

Nwabali left the NPFL in 2022. He was here all this while but no one looked his way. Now a year after going to SA, we now discover him. Okay oo
Its nice when someone shoots ur murderer in the back, without asking to be paid.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: So good players exist in NPFL?

Post by Damunk »

lacidi wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:23 pm Nwabali left the NPFL in 2022. He was here all this while but no one looked his way. Now a year after going to SA, we now discover him. Okay oo
But Akpeyi did the same journey.
Are you reading or misreading the trends? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

Damunk wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:24 pm
lacidi wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:23 pm Nwabali left the NPFL in 2022. He was here all this while but no one looked his way. Now a year after going to SA, we now discover him. Okay oo
That in no way discounts the potential in the NPFL. Only coaches who have played in it before like Keshi will respect the potential. For now unfortunately, "anything not in Nigeria must be better" is the mentality.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

And what was wrong with Akpeyi?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

1naija wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:40 pm And what was wrong with Akpeyi?
That’s what I’m asking him.
Why is he surprised?
Who takes the credit for their rise?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

greg wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:36 pm
That in no way discounts the potential in the NPFL. Only coaches who have played in it before like Keshi will respect the potential. For now unfortunately, "anything not in Nigeria must be better" is the mentality.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

“Yuh.” :roll:
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Nwabali made his SE debut while still in the NPFL in 2021 (vs Mexico)…
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

Gotti wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:47 pm
Nwabili made his SE debut while still in the NPFL in 2021 (vs Mexico)…
He still kept getting overlooked even when we suffered through a goalkeeping crisis for years.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

greg wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:50 pm
He still kept getting overlooked even when we suffered through a goalkeeping crisis for years.
But he is precisely overlooked based on the thinking shared here by Damunk -- they cannot be good until they leave the NPFL. In my view that really is a shame. If Nigeria seriously scouts the NPFL, there will be periodically one or two who can help the team. Take a look at this AFCON, and note several players who compete on same level as NPFL players. Those are not exactly being overwhelmed by our SE. Are they?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

Wasn't he at the Vietnamese league onetime?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

But I have stated that looking to rhe local league must be specifically targeted and strategic.

Meaning you identify weak areas of the team where there are a lack of options in Europe and that is where you scout for homebased potentials.

Clearly goalkeeper was the one such position we needed to scour the local leagues for.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:43 am But I have stated that looking to rhe local league must be specifically targeted and strategic.

Meaning you identify weak areas of the team where there are a lack of options in Europe and that is where you scout for homebased potentials.

Clearly goalkeeper was the one such position we needed to scour the local leagues for.
I agree. I always say we can plug in 1 or 2 areas of deficit in our team with a player in the NPL or even with a division 2 player.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:23 am
But he is precisely overlooked based on the thinking shared here by Damunk -- they cannot be good until they leave the NPFL. In my view that really is a shame. If Nigeria seriously scouts the NPFL, there will be periodically one or two who can help the team. Take a look at this AFCON, and note several players who compete on same level as NPFL players. Those are not exactly being overwhelmed by our SE. Are they?

Care to give us examples?
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

It is what it is
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

You haven't really said anything new. There has always been talent in the NPFL. The issue is the development of the talent and their ability to perform at a high level.

We in Nigeria can be very funny. Have you bothered to check the training and conditioning levels in the SA league and the NPFL?

Having talent is not nearly enough...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Akpeyi, like Uzoho and Okoye, are not International level goalkeepers. At least, not for teams that want to contend.They will cost you when it matters, by not keeping you in close games, and denying you victory in games you should win.

Akpeyi was constantly leaking soft goals. Against Egypt away, against Algeria in 2019, and the list goes on. It was such a simking feeling when Ikeme got injured and we were stuck with him. I won't even get started with Agbim.

It is OK if your memory of these keepers (or your knowledge of the game :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: ) is limited, but please don't defend mediocrity.

I'm not suggesting that some of these guys are will not have good club careers, but they are not good enough for a Super Eagles that want to contend continentally and globally.

One look at Nwabili, after the first game, and I typed here that the GK has elevated the team, even after the draw.

Now, to settle on two others as backups from the pool of Nwoke, Atubolu, and Okonkwo, and any other GK that steps up over the next year.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

What competitive game did Akpeyi poor goalkeeping us?
truetalk wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:30 am

Akpeyi, like Uzoho and Okoye, are not International level goalkeepers. At least, not for teams that want to contend.They will cost you when it matters, by not keeping you in close games, and denying you victory in games you should win.

Akpeyi was constantly leaking soft goals. Against Egypt away, against Algeria in 2019, and the list goes on. It was such a simking feeling when Ikeme got injured and we were stuck with him. I won't even get started with Agbim.

It is OK if your memory of these keepers (or your knowledge of the game :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: ) is limited, but please don't defend mediocrity.

I'm not suggesting that some of these guys are will not have good club careers, but they are not good enough for a Super Eagles that want to contend continentally and globally.

One look at Nwabili, after the first game, and I typed here that the GK has elevated the team, even after the draw.

Now, to settle on two others as backups from the pool of Nwoke, Atubolu, and Okonkwo, and any other GK that steps up over the next year.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

BREAKING NEWS

The bulk of the squad will always be local kids although this may news to the NFF. And a coach who grew up in Nigeria knows best where to find them.
Bell
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Shame they had to leave Nigeria to play for. Nigeria. Nigeria don't value its own. But its not entirely the NFF fault since the home based haven't exactly being lighting up the continent. I will say Nwabili improved at Chippa united.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Damunk, if 1Naija cach you for dis tin wey you write eh, well, na you sabi :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

1naija wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:06 am What competitive game did Akpeyi poor goalkeeping us?

Aaah-haaa! I tok am!!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

1naija wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:06 am What competitive game did Akpeyi poor goalkeeping us?

Uncle, the answer to your question is right there in the post.

I don't like to 'attack' players that don the GWG, beyond the realm of objective analysis, so let's just say Akpeyi was a nervous transmitter of nerves to the team, and ushered in the era of settling for very poor GKs like Uzoho and Okoye.

Uzoho started out well (or deceived us and Deportivo) with the ASPIRE academy & all, but the dropoff was obvious from 2019, which was Akpeyi was starting ahead of him in AFCON, which wasn't particularly comforting.

How can a GK hide behind his wall? Fair game if it was the type of FK that SA scored against Morocco, but this positioning?

I'm not upset with Akpeyi. It was a dry spell for us in that department at the time.

We have better options now, and they must be in the reckoning. It should not be one guy and two questionable backups.

Wilfred Agbonibare was starting in LaLiga and sitting on the Nigerian bench. We have enough talent now for that to be the norm.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:18 am
Enugu II wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:23 am

Care to give us examples?
Txj

I guess that you do not realize that several of those South African players compete for CAF clubs competition where NPFL players also may compete. They are not in Europe. Yet they challenged Super Eagles. Further, that point is not aberrant. We note that when Nigeria played Lesotho, Burundi, etc. Those are your examples. If you are following, it means that it is not that one or two NPFL players cannot play at the same level as platers from South Africa, Lesotho etc.. It is about opportunity. Nwabali just barely left NPFL and would you say that all we have seen from him in a year he learned in ' Eurooe?' Meanwhile Okoye and Uzoho had been in Europe for donkey years!

What should you learn? If you are paying attention is: it is not the league that matters. IT IS ABOUT QUALITY OF AN INDIVIDUAL PLAYER. While thar quality may be plentiful in the top leagues, it is not ABSENT elsewhere.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics