William Troost-Ekong -- Captain, my captain!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

theDunamis
Egg
Egg
William Troost-Ekong -- Captain, my captain!

Post by theDunamis »

Captain, my captain!

Ekong's leadership in this team has been nothing short of stellar. His leadership qualities plus his situational awareness are exceptional and laudable. And his situational awareness is not just about things directly related to the match at hand alone but also in relation to human and personnel relationship -- those intangible but valuable things. For example, after scoring his penalty during the PKs today, while he was no doubt both relieved and celebratory, his attention immediately goes to what next he can do to serve the team. And he goes over to Nwabali, hugs him, and whispers into his ears, likely giving him some kudos and encouragement. Ekong sees people. And he wants to serve them however he can. The trait of natural leaders.

And his mentality and approach are fully embedded and revealed in this statement he made during an interview, "...one thing that hundred percent isn't something we can compromise on is our work rate. We are willing to do the dirty work defensively, making the runs to give people options when we have the ball. We know that if we do all those things, then our quality would come out, because there are not many teams in Africa that have more quality than us, player for player." Ekong has walked that talk throughout this tournament. Leading and organizing the defense with words, legs, and body. Bruising tackles. Joining the forces upfront for set piece opportunities. Huffing and puffing to make last-second, crucial blocks. And when his legs have tired and sensing the clear and tournament-ending danger, pulling down his man and taking one for the team. Experience weds leadership. And when team members see a leader who is asking of them only that which he himself does first, they see a leader who leads by example and they follow.

Finally, but not at all least, his calmness and wisdom are a key and central part of his leadership qualities and both contribute immensely to the team's vibe. And to his engagement style when he has to engage referees to register complaints or seek redress. And yet, both belie a stillness that rises to the surface when the moment demands - like in his 3 crucial PKs thus far in this tournament.

It was surprising to learn that he came close to ending his international career less than a year ago. I can say with full certainty that Nigeria is grateful and better for his decision to keep playing for us. Veteran players may lose a step or two in speed, but they more than make up for those in experience and in Ekong's case, leadership.

Captain, my captain!
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: William Troost-Ekong -- Captain, my captain!

Post by Damunk »

theDunamis wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:29 am Captain, my captain!

Ekong's leadership in this team has been nothing short of stellar. His leadership qualities plus his situational awareness are exceptional and laudable. And his situational awareness is not just about things directly related to the match at hand alone but also in relation to human and personnel relationship -- those intangible but valuable things. For example, after scoring his penalty during the PKs today, while he was no doubt both relieved and celebratory, his attention immediately goes to what next he can do to serve the team. And he goes over to Nwabali, hugs him, and whispers into his ears, likely giving him some kudos and encouragement. Ekong sees people. And he wants to serve them however he can. The trait of natural leaders.

And his mentality and approach are fully embedded and revealed in this statement he made during an interview, "...one thing that hundred percent isn't something we can compromise on is our work rate. We are willing to do the dirty work defensively, making the runs to give people options when we have the ball. We know that if we do all those things, then our quality would come out, because there are not many teams in Africa that have more quality than us, player for player." Ekong has walked that talk throughout this tournament. Leading and organizing the defense with words, legs, and body. Bruising tackles. Joining the forces upfront for set piece opportunities. Huffing and puffing to make last-second, crucial blocks. And when his legs have tired and sensing the clear and tournament-ending danger, pulling down his man and taking one for the team. Experience weds leadership. And when team members see a leader who is asking of them only that which he himself does first, they see a leader who leads by example and they follow.

Finally, but not at all least, his calmness and wisdom are a key and central part of his leadership qualities and both contribute immensely to the team's vibe. And to his engagement style when he has to engage referees to register complaints or seek redress. And yet, both belie a stillness that rises to the surface when the moment demands - like in his 3 crucial PKs thus far in this tournament.

It was surprising to learn that he came close to ending his international career less than a year ago. I can say with full certainty that Nigeria is grateful and better for his decision to keep playing for us. veteran players may lose a step or two in speed, but they more than make up for those in experience and in Ekong's case, leadership.

Captain, my captain!
Brilliant tribute, theDunamis. :thumb:
Maybe I’m still on a high at the moment, but of all our SE captains I’ve witnessed, there are three that stand out:
Christian Chukwu, Stephen Keshi and Okey Okechukwu.

But if the SE Captains’ Hall of Fame was limited to just three, I’m afraid the Gentle Giant Okechukwu would have to make way for WT EKONG.
He has been exemplary this tournament.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

If Ekong lifts that AFCON trophy on Sunday, he will easily be ranked among the top 3 players to ever captain Nigeria (only Stephen Keshi and Christian Chukwu will be arguably ahead of him).
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

I hope he is getting his coaching badges. He has the mentality to succeed as a coach
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

Well said one of the MVPs on the team. On field contribution plus all the intangibles. This is why some fans should exercise caution when saying players are past it simply because of a temporary dip in form
2think
Egg
Egg

Post by 2think »

It was surprising to learn that he came close to ending his international career less than a year ago. I can say with full certainty that Nigeria is grateful and better for his decision to keep playing for us. veteran players may lose a step or two in speed, but they more than make up for those in experience and in Ekong's case, leadership.

Captain, my captain!

Wonderful!
Take a bow, sir! :thumb: You captured everything I have been observing so far, about him in this competition.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Nothing more to add.

In the Quarterfinal against Angola, there was one moment when Lookman wanted to remonstrate to the referee, but Ekong just calmly restrained him from potentially getting a yellow card. Moments before that I was screaming my head off at Bassey for picking up a needless yellow.

He stepped up when nerves of steel were needed yesterday for the penalty(s), just as he did against CIV in the group stage. He took one for the team, and for good measure practically wrestled the SA player :rotf:

He exudes so much calmness and control that I feel is very much needed, especially for this relatively young squad.

His steely demeanor also tells me he's a man on a mission. In fact the entire team look and play like they're on a mission. Wish all their efforts is crowned with winning the Cup.
May the Lord God Bless U real Good
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Damunk wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:36 amBrilliant tribute, theDunamis. :thumb:
Maybe I’m still on a high at the moment, but of all our SE captains I’ve witnessed, there are three that stand out:
Christian Chukwu, Stephen Keshi and Okey Okechukwu.

But if the SE Captains’ Hall of Fame was limited to just three, I’m afraid the Gentle Giant Okechukwu would have to make way for WT EKONG.
He has been exemplary this tournament.

Thank you, bro. And yes, you totally nailed the SE Captains HoF. And the sacrifice you will make if limited to 3 is one I would make as well -- a painful but needful exercise to be certain.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

ugly boy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:55 am Well said one of the MVPs on the team. On field contribution plus all the intangibles. This is why some fans should exercise caution when saying players are past it simply because of a temporary dip in form

Exactly this. And this was one of the reasons behind my penultimate paragraph. Wishy-washy "fans" (too many of whom have made their way into CE) for whom players can never be human or have a bad day in the office and must be used only when perfect and trashed when less than.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Captain, my captain!
Amen. We have not had a natural leader play this role since Keshi. Oliseh, JJ, Yobo and Mikel were all commendable captains but apart from Oliseh they mostly led through their playing.

WTE looks like a man on a mission, a general on the field, with the modern leadership skills of seeing each player as an individual and giving them what they need.

I had goose-bumps with the “na you!” moment celebrating Osimhen’s contribution to Lookman’s first Cam goal.

And let’s not forget he’s second in our goalscoring chart. Potential MVP of this tournament.

I hope for his sake we can cap it all by taking the title. He’ll go down as a legend if we do.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Well said, plus we're not hearing of any shenanigans from him like mafia, player power, undue influence etc.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

baller - King Ekong
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Ekong has not done one thing wrong this whole tournament. He is truly a leader of men. Captain Nigeria, my captain!
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Utterly butterly brilliant.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Like I said. I don’t see what Musa brings that Ekong hasn’t brought to the team. You can add Omeruo too. Anyway, I don’t want to start a Musa talk.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

packerland wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:41 pm Like I said. I don’t see what Musa brings that Ekong hasn’t brought to the team. You can add Omeruo too. Anyway, I don’t want to start a Musa talk.
Another Musa hater spotted. You don't know what Musa bring to the team, because it's not MILF.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

fabio wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:43 pm
packerland wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:41 pm Like I said. I don’t see what Musa brings that Ekong hasn’t brought to the team. You can add Omeruo too. Anyway, I don’t want to start a Musa talk.
Another Musa hater spotted. You don't know what Musa bring to the team, because it's not MILF.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: I only see him jumping on the back of other players.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Beast mode inspirational.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

It was surprising to learn that he came close to ending his international career less than a year ago. I can say with full certainty that Nigeria is grateful and better for his decision to keep playing for us. Veteran players may lose a step or two in speed, but they more than make up for those in experience and in Ekong's case, leadership.

Captain, my captain!
Well Written

I Talk Am
Said in essence same thing weeks ago.

If not for Ekong teams would have equalized or scored on us.
He has done his job consistently unlike our strikers who find it hard to score.
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

Also in the South Africa match.
The speedy striker from South AFrica almost out ran Ekong who grabbed him and took a yellow card for the team, his nation
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Don't worry.
Osimhen again paid tribute to him yesterday.
People just need to accept that they are outsiders.
Not everything is out in the open.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:19 pm
Don't worry.
Osimhen again paid tribute to him yesterday.
People just need to accept that they are outsiders.
Not everything is out in the open.
MILF hunter was busy, when the camera show Jose complaining to Musa about some decisions.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

felarey wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:38 pm Well said, plus we're not hearing of any shenanigans from him like mafia, player power, undue influence etc.
Very important point.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Captain, my captain!
LARGELY MY PERCEPTION WITH A FEW COMMENTS

I think he's played within his abilities and as one of the longest serving squad members has taken the responsibility to inspire the team and organize the defense. However, I was a a little troubled to see him so deep in the offensive eighteen trying to score on crosses which potentially leaves holes in the defense. And in the first half of the SA game when Nigeria was playing the SA half, I was worried about a potential SA counter and I think he should have restrained the defense from heading too far fwd. Finally, I don't think he should be the one for the next PK because I think the Ivorians have a huge dossier on his tendencies.
Bell