VAR team quiet until after the 2nd goal...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: VAR team quiet until after the 2nd goal...

Post by metalalloy »

packerland wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:19 pm

Nah. ..watch it from multiple angles. Yusuf was late getting to the space the ball was played to. The angle that I saw during the came shows Yusuf behind him and slightly to the left.
Here is the video.

https://dubz.co/v/810xh8

Yusuf was clearly late and hit his leg.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

metalalloy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:26 pm

Nah. ..watch it from multiple angles. Yusuf was late getting to the space the ball was played to. The angle that I saw during the came shows Yusuf behind him and slightly to the left.
Here is the video.

Yeah in slow motion he looks late but in real time its a different picture
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

BAP wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:30 pm

Here is the video.

But VAR looked at it in slow motion and made the right call. It was a PK.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

BAP wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:30 pm

Here is the video.

Thats why VAR is there. You cant get away with anything anymore.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

metalalloy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:22 pm BAP, look at the except that you quoted, and reproduced below:
**Obstruction is when a player moves into an opponent’s path to block, slow down or force a change of direction when neither player can play the ball. It is not a foul if players are already in each other’s space and an accidental collision or contact results.
This is clearly irrelevant to the situation that occurred between Yusuf and the South African player. Both players could play the ball and Yusuf got there late.

Again, once Yusuf made contact with him, the obstruction/impedance offence results in a DIRECT KICK and not an indirect kick. Again, from your except:
WHAT FOULS RESULT IN AN INDIRECT FREE KICK?
The following fouls are punished with an indirect free kick as long as there is no contact (contact fouls require a direct free kick):
A direct kick inside the box is an automatic penalty kick.
Again the underlying KEY here is that the guy didn't have possession . So yeah everything depends on context . Obviously the rules cant explicitly cover every nuance so it comes down to situational interpretation by the ref
**Obstruction is when a player moves into an opponent’s path to block, slow down or force a change of direction when neither player can play the ball. It is not a foul if players are already in each other’s space and an accidental collision or contact results.
Obviously Yusuf wasn't moving he was simply going for the ball . It was Tau who was doing the moving. The phrase when neither player can play the ball simply means neither had clear possession so Yusuf cannot be accused of obstructing .

The contact was IMHO accidental not deliberate because based on the video above (not the one you provided) I am not even sure Yusuf saw him until he had gone for the ball

But in any case its all good we still won sha but I am sure there are many referees that would not have given that as a PK
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

BAP wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:49 pm
metalalloy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:22 pm BAP, look at the except that you quoted, and reproduced below:
This is clearly irrelevant to the situation that occurred between Yusuf and the South African player. Both players could play the ball and Yusuf got there late.

Again, once Yusuf made contact with him, the obstruction/impedance offence results in a DIRECT KICK and not an indirect kick. Again, from your except:
WHAT FOULS RESULT IN AN INDIRECT FREE KICK?
The following fouls are punished with an indirect free kick as long as there is no contact (contact fouls require a direct free kick):
A direct kick inside the box is an automatic penalty kick.
Again the underlying KEY here is that the guy didn't have possession . So yeah everything depends on context . Obviously the rules cant explicitly cover every nuance so it comes down to situational interpretation by the ref
Obviously Yusuf wasn't moving he was simply going for the ball . It was Tau who was doing the moving. The phrase when neither player can play the ball simply means neither had clear possession so Yusuf cannot be accused of obstructing .

The contact was IMHO accidental not deliberate because based on the video above (not the one you provided) I am not even sure Yusuf saw him until he had gone for the ball

But in any case its all good we still won sha but I am sure there are many referees that would not have given that as a PK
Does it matter if it was deliberate or accidental? Other than hand ball cases, a foul in the 18 will result in a Pk. When Eguavoen clumsy self landed on the Italian player wasn’t a PK given?
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

packerland wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:58 pm
Does it matter if it was deliberate or accidental? Other than hand ball cases, a foul in the 18 will result in a Pk. When Eguavoen clumsy self landed on the Italian player wasn’t a PK given?
Well again the rules says it does
https://www.footballrules.com/offences-sanctions/fouls/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fouls_and ... %20contact.
Unavoidable accidental contact is not penalised - such as if the ball is struck against a player's arm at short range and the player could not have reasonably avoided the contact. However, if the player has positioned their arm so as to make their body "unnaturally bigger" and contact occurs, this is considered handball
Eguavoen imo jumped on the players back and made no attempt whatsoever at the ball In Yusuf's case I see a clear attempt at the ball interrupted only by the arrival of Percy Tau's leg and that's why the ref initially probably thought nothing of it.

Just like the ball to hand scenario I dont see how Yusuf could have reasonably avoided Tau's leg given the situation
but you guys see it differently .. Fair enough

So yeah the rules book does bring up the notion of accidental contact whether or not it applies in any given situation is ultimately up to the referee .
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Yusuf gained an unfair advantage over Tau by swiping his leg, a clear foul in the box and a penalty. Whether he saw him coming is his own problem, he should have leaned into the ball to smack it away, not leaned back to lazily try and kick it, something that could have easily caused the ball to spin back to his goal.

Of more importance than even the penalty, what no one has pointed out amongst the rubbish that Yusuf did was that he was meant to be marking the guy that followed up their last minute free kick. If that guy had scored on the follow up and people had picked up on it, I doubt he'll ever be allowed to play again for the Eagles.
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

danfo driver wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:49 am It was a penalty. They were assessing the play and we were on a counter-attack. How long do you think it took us to get from our 18' yard box to SA's goal? You think it took us 1 hour? :lol: Do you guys know how fast plays happen? I calculated it, it took us 14 seconds from the exact moment Yusuf fouled the SA player to when the ball crossed the line into SA's net (from 84:00 to 84:14).

Impressive analysis here, especially with calculating the timing from foul to goal. I've been impressed with VAR at this AFCON, this is how it should be. What we see happening during EPL games is horrible sometimes.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

metalalloy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:01 pm
BAP wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:00 pm
Paveman wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:23 am It was the right call. Referee and VAR were impeccable yesterday. I’m a bit surprised that the referee missed the Yusuf penalty incident as he was very close and seemed really clear even on live TV. However, he was always in control and firm. I have been super impressed with referees at this AFCON.
Not really sure it was the right call The south African didn't have possession and Yusuf was aiming for the incoming ball with the south African jumping in front of him thus creating contact
Once Yusuf made contact with him before the ball, its a foul. In the box, its a pk.
Exactly!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Aswani wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:51 pm Yusuf gained an unfair advantage over Tau by swiping his leg, a clear foul in the box and a penalty. Whether he saw him coming is his own problem, he should have leaned into the ball to smack it away, not leaned back to lazily try and kick it, something that could have easily caused the ball to spin back to his goal.

Of more importance than even the penalty, what no one has pointed out amongst the rubbish that Yusuf did was that he was meant to be marking the guy that followed up their last minute free kick. If that guy had scored on the follow up and people had picked up on it, I doubt he'll ever be allowed to play again for the Eagles.
I did here. Yea he was lucky that they didnt score for his own sake. Naija people no dey waste time find scapegoat.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=315996&p=5953824#p5953824

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Maybe VAR rules should be changed to alert the ref immediately an indiscretion is discovered. It is the epitome of cruelty to allow play to continue and then disallow a legitimate goal because of a previous infraction🤔❗️

Cheers.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:53 pm Maybe VAR rules should be changed to alert the ref immediately an indiscretion is discovered. It is the epitome of cruelty to allow play to continue and then disallow a legitimate goal because of a previous infraction🤔❗️

Cheers.
I disagree. Then you run the risk of stopping very clear attacking situations that might result in a goal. The Referee makes the final decision. He could have overridden VAR in the Nigeria game. The onus is on the aggrieved team to get the ball out of play so that the VAR can communicate any missed calls to a ref for a possible review.

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

metalalloy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:01 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:53 pm Maybe VAR rules should be changed to alert the ref immediately an indiscretion is discovered. It is the epitome of cruelty to allow play to continue and then disallow a legitimate goal because of a previous infraction🤔❗️

Cheers.
I disagree. Then you run the risk of stopping very clear attacking situations that might result in a goal. The Referee makes the final decision. He could have overridden VAR in the Nigeria game. The onus is on the aggrieved team to get the ball out of play so that the VAR can communicate any missed calls to a ref for a possible review.
When VAR asks the ref to stop play, it is certain that a clear and egregious error was made. So, those “very clear attacking situations” you spoke about are ultimately not valid, as was the case with Nigeria’s disallowed goal. Why allow plays that won’t amount to anything to continue❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Cheers.
A red cap chief died because of that decision yesterday
I am happy
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Clear penalty. And before that Yusuf was commiting several uneccesary fouls. Young player will learn.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

metalalloy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:52 pm
Aswani wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:51 pm Yusuf gained an unfair advantage over Tau by swiping his leg, a clear foul in the box and a penalty. Whether he saw him coming is his own problem, he should have leaned into the ball to smack it away, not leaned back to lazily try and kick it, something that could have easily caused the ball to spin back to his goal.

I did here. Yea he was lucky that they didnt score for his own sake. Naija people no dey waste time find scapegoat.
A lot of ITKs were railing on Peseiro for not inviting Yusuf much earlier and some even claimed that it was fans pressure that forced the coach to invite Yusuf and Nwabali.
It’s like they seem not to understand the nature of Peseiro, he’s not a coach that throws players under the bus, he defends players publicly and then does things his own way. When Emmanuel Dennis fouled up the penalty against Portugal, he defended him but never invited him again to the SE. He defended Uzoho publicly while looking for a better alternative. He spent time in South Africa with Nwabali and attended both training sessions and a match. Prior to our first match at AFCON, he publicly said Uzoho was his number one, then shocked everyone by naming Nwabali in the starting lineup.
I have been among those who called for Yusuf’s invitation to the SE but I deferred to the coach’s judgment. Peseiro was in Antwerp to watch Yusuf’s UCL match against Porto and may have seen some of the things we are just noticing and that was why he put him on standby. Coaches analyse players differently from fans. Even at Antwerp, Yusuf, has lost his starting spot to an 18 year old Belgian player, Mandela Keita, and only played in the UCL because Keita was injured. As soon as Keita got fit, Yusuf returned to the bench.
Yusuf has potentials but he still has quite a bit of work to do.
I am happy
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:19 pm

Cheers.
When VAR asks the ref to stop play, it is certain that a clear and egregious error was made. So, those “very clear attacking situations” you spoke about are ultimately not valid, as was the case with Nigeria’s disallowed goal. Why allow plays that won’t amount to anything to continue❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
Because the referee has the final say and can disagree/ override VAR!!

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Dammy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:38 pm

A lot of ITKs were railing on Peseiro for not inviting Yusuf much earlier and some even claimed that it was fans pressure that forced the coach to invite Yusuf and Nwabali.
It’s like they seem not to understand the nature of Peseiro, he’s not a coach that throws players under the bus, he defends players publicly and then does things his own way. When Emmanuel Dennis fouled up the penalty against Portugal, he defended him but never invited him again to the SE. He defended Uzoho publicly while looking for a better alternative. He spent time in South Africa with Nwabali and attended both training sessions and a match. Prior to our first match at AFCON, he publicly said Uzoho was his number one, then shocked everyone by naming Nwabali in the starting lineup.
I have been among those who called for Yusuf’s invitation to the SE but I deferred to the coach’s judgment. Peseiro was in Antwerp to watch Yusuf’s UCL match against Porto and may have seen some of the things we are just noticing and that was why he put him on standby. Coaches analyse players differently from fans. Even at Antwerp, Yusuf, has lost his starting spot to an 18 year old Belgian player, Mandela Keita, and only played in the UCL because Keita was injured. As soon as Keita got fit, Yusuf returned to the bench.
Haba Chief Dammy.

The foul he committed that resulted in the PK was a good play by Tau. He came from Alhassan blind side.
The more worrying thing he did in the game if we are to nitpick was the foul on a player that was backing him when he could have just shielded him and not following up on the rebound. He is a good Central Midfielder. When the combo of Onyeka and Iwobi gifted EQ Guinea a goal in the first game people didn't say they were not ready.

Alhassan deserves his spot over Aribo. He should have been on the original squad list. The team should have taken 27 players.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

metalalloy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:59 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:19 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.
Because the referee has the final say and can disagree/ override VAR!!
Thank you IgweAlloy. VAR did what it was meant to do. Correct an error.
The video evidence showed it was a foul inside the box.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Hmm... looking at the penalty again, I see why the ref didn't give it initially.

The SA player ran INTO the already moving leg of Yusuf and tripped over it. Yusuf was in the same position while the SA player moved towards him from behind. Yusuf didn't even see him until it was too late.

Yes, it looked like a penalty. But before VAR, some refs would not have given it. That was a VAR-manufactured penalty.

How do you avoid a situation where you're already reaching for the ball, and an opposition player comes up from behind and makes contact with your foot, then falls? The VAR team didn't see the incident from the right angles.

I don't blame Yusuf for that foul. The system is at fault. That should NOT have been a penalty, and SE was robbed of a clean goal! Thank God we won in the end anyway.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Cellular wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:08 pm
Dammy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:38 pm

Haba Chief Dammy.

The foul he committed that resulted in the PK was a good play by Tau. He came from Alhassan blind side.
The more worrying thing he did in the game if we are to nitpick was the foul on a player that was backing him when he could have just shielded him and not following up on the rebound. He is a good Central Midfielder. When the combo of Onyeka and Iwobi gifted EQ Guinea a goal in the first game people didn't say they were not ready.

Alhassan deserves his spot over Aribo. He should have been on the original squad list. The team should have taken 27 players.
Oga Cell, I’m just toning down the hype about Alhassan and let folks know that he’s not the finished product. He deserves his place ahead of Aribo and I have always called for his invitation
I am happy
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Orion wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:27 pm Hmm... looking at the penalty again, I see why the ref didn't give it initially.

The SA player ran INTO the already moving leg of Yusuf and tripped over it. Yusuf was in the same position while the SA player moved towards him from behind. Yusuf didn't even see him until it was too late.

Yes, it looked like a penalty. But before VAR, some refs would not have given it. That was a VAR-manufactured penalty.

How do you avoid a situation where you're already reaching for the ball, and an opposition player comes up from behind and makes contact with your foot, then falls? The VAR team didn't see the incident from the right angles.

I don't blame Yusuf for that foul. The system is at fault. That should NOT have been a penalty, and SE was robbed of a clean goal! Thank God we won in the end anyway.
Una no dey follow the rules of the game or the changes in the rules.

That was NOT a VAR-manufactured penalty. Referees are now instructed to not make judgment (50/50) calls and allow play to continue and use VAR to confirm calls.

This is what VAR is supposed to help with. They used the technology as it was intended to be used.

You can see the players didn't protest the call.

Same with the offside goal Ajayi scored off a corner or the goal that one of the teams scored against us that was rightfully ruled as offside.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...