VAR team quiet until after the 2nd goal...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Penarity
Egg
Egg
VAR team quiet until after the 2nd goal...

Post by Penarity »

With less than five minutes left in regulation time, Nigeria scored a clean second goal. Obviously, that goal would have ended the match. Why did the VAR team allow play to proceed until after the second goal was scored? I know folks would say the SA players protested. Frankly, I thought it was very bad officiating at that point. To make it worse, the referee then proceeded to award a penarity! Do you know the psychological trauma the boys overcame? Still, I wonder why did the referee do that? Honestly, there are times when "doing the right thing" may actually be wrong. That decision was one of them!
There is nothing to learn from someone who already agrees with you.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: VAR team quiet until after the 2nd goal...

Post by danfo driver »

It was a penalty. They were assessing the play and we were on a counter-attack. How long do you think it took us to get from our 18' yard box to SA's goal? You think it took us 1 hour? :lol: Do you guys know how fast plays happen? I calculated it, it took us 14 seconds from the exact moment Yusuf fouled the SA player to when the ball crossed the line into SA's net (from 84:00 to 84:14).

Last edited by danfo driver on Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Penarity wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:38 am With less than five minutes left in regulation time, Nigeria scored a clean second goal. Obviously, that goal would have ended the match. Why did the VAR team allow play to proceed until after the second goal was scored? I know folks would say the SA players protested. Frankly, I thought it was very bad officiating at that point. To make it worse, the referee then proceeded to award a penarity! Do you know the psychological trauma the boys overcame? Still, I wonder why did the referee do that? Honestly, there are times when "doing the right thing" may actually be wrong. That decision was one of them!
VAR is allowed to review 4 types of decisions:

1: Goal Decision and offenses leading up to a goal: whether or not a goal is allowed to stand.
2. Penalty decision:
3 Direct red card decisions
4. Mistaken identity decisions.

The first 2 were in play. VAR is an assistant referee and IIRC, cant stop the game. They can advise the referee (who makes the ultimate decision) to loo at something when the ball goes out of play and before it is restarted.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Penarity
Egg
Egg

Post by Penarity »

Hmm... solid points. 14 seconds! So, Ayo Akinfe was right when he said a solid team should be able to move the ball from box to box within 60 seconds (he was even liberal). Without a doubt, the blistering pace of these boys is a joyful thing to watch.

Thanks for the information and education, Danfo Boy and Metalalloy.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

No hard feelings it was the right call, if that was us at the other end we would have raised a storm if a VAR review wasn't called for the PK...VAR has been spot on in this tournament and this AFCON makes me proud to be African.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Penarity wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:38 am With less than five minutes left in regulation time, Nigeria scored a clean second goal. Obviously, that goal would have ended the match. Why did the VAR team allow play to proceed until after the second goal was scored? I know folks would say the SA players protested. Frankly, I thought it was very bad officiating at that point. To make it worse, the referee then proceeded to award a penarity! Do you know the psychological trauma the boys overcame? Still, I wonder why did the referee do that? Honestly, there are times when "doing the right thing" may actually be wrong. That decision was one of them!
That's the rule. Not even the AR can stop play if he sees anything untoward. The play has to finish and ball becomes dead before calls and reviews can be made.

Happened in Man Utd vs Arsenal last season and some of the pundits said CAR shouldn't go that far back but it's the rule.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

It was the right call. Referee and VAR were impeccable yesterday. I’m a bit surprised that the referee missed the Yusuf penalty incident as he was very close and seemed really clear even on live TV. However, he was always in control and firm. I have been super impressed with referees at this AFCON.
kash n' karry
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kash n' karry »

:evil: :twisted:
I agree the referee's shoulda stopped the play instantly and not let a goal formulate for us ONLY to give us the worst verdict of disallowing that goal and now awarding the opposing team with a dying minute hail Mary bail out of a penalty kick !!

What gaaaaddammmmnnn nonesense !!! :scared:

Still i will take the VAR incursions any day bcos if anyone who knows how much the white man has cheated out African teams at the world cup THEN one will take the merits and demerits of the VAR systems.
Besides, Naija is playing a CIV team in the finals against their revenge mindsets and on their home soil. The VAR is our only rescue away from the briberies that the officials may be lured into !!
==============================================================
Aaaaggghhh gaaddammnn ittt.... Wherez my Heineken + big wet pink bubble booty chics ?? :mrgreen:
Penarity
Egg
Egg

Post by Penarity »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:16 am No hard feelings it was the right call, if that was us at the other end we would have raised a storm if a VAR review wasn't called for the PK...VAR has been spot on in this tournament and this AFCON makes me proud to be African.
Hey Tobi! You called the game when most folks were hyperventilating. Kudos!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Penarity wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:07 am Hmm... solid points. 14 seconds! So, Ayo Akinfe was right when he said a solid team should be able to move the ball from box to box within 60 seconds (he was even liberal). Without a doubt, the blistering pace of these boys is a joyful thing to watch.

Thanks for the information and education, Danfo Boy and Metalalloy.
You are welcome bro.

Effective counter-attacks are swift, direct and could take very fleeting seconds.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I no go lie, when the referee stalled giving Osimhen the second goal, I begin wish it was the days of Ogunjobi. That VAR for give us the goal PLUS a freekick to us for Alhasan kicking the SA player in our 18. :D :D :D
metalalloy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:53 am

1: Goal Decision and offenses leading up to a goal: whether or not a goal is allowed to stand.
2. Penalty decision:

The first 2 were in play. VAR is an assistant referee and IIRC, cant stop the game. They can advise the referee (who makes the ultimate decision) to loo at something when the ball goes out of play and before it is restarted.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Paveman wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:23 am It was the right call. Referee and VAR were impeccable yesterday. I’m a bit surprised that the referee missed the Yusuf penalty incident as he was very close and seemed really clear even on live TV. However, he was always in control and firm. I have been super impressed with referees at this AFCON.
Not really sure it was the right call The south African didn't have possession and Yusuf was aiming for the incoming ball with the south African jumping in front of him thus creating contact
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Paveman wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:23 am It was the right call. Referee and VAR were impeccable yesterday. I’m a bit surprised that the referee missed the Yusuf penalty incident as he was very close and seemed really clear even on live TV. However, he was always in control and firm. I have been super impressed with referees at this AFCON.
Not really sure it was the right call The south African didn't have possession and Yusuf was aiming for the incoming ball with the south African jumping in front of him thus creating contact
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

1naija wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:36 pm I no go lie, when the referee stalled giving Osimhen the second goal, I begin wish it was the days of Ogunjobi. That VAR for give us the goal PLUS a freekick to us for Alhasan kicking the SA player in our 18. :D :D :D
metalalloy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:53 am

2. Penalty decision:

:rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

BAP wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:00 pm
Once Yusuf made contact with him before the ball, its a foul. In the box, its a pk.

BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

metalalloy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:01 pm
Once Yusuf made contact with him before the ball, its a foul. In the box, its a pk.
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

BAP wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:03 pm
Not neccessarily .. I doubt Yusuf even saw him coming (Watch the video above around the 7:10 mark)

At best you could argue for an inidrect kick on the basis of impediment since the south African didn't have possession
https://www.orlandocitysc.com/news/socc ... -free-kick
An indirect free kick can also be award to a team if the opposing player:
Plays in a dangerous manner
Prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball
Impedes the progress of an opponent
Commits any offense that stops play that does not warrant a direct free kick
But to claim that a player whom didnt have possession of the ball whom you accidentally kicked only because he threw himself in front of you should be awarde a pK is a bit much
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

BAP wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:12 pm
Not neccessarily .. I doubt Yusuf even saw him coming (Watch the video above around the 7:10 mark)

At best you could argue for an inidrect kick on the basis of impediment since the south African didn't have possession
But to claim that a player whom didnt have possession of the ball whom you accidentally kicked only because he threw himself in front of you should be awarde a pK is a bit much
An indirect freekick is only given for impeding an opponent if there is no contact. If you impede an opponent with contact, a direct free is the penalty. If a direct free kick offense occurs within a box, it is a penalty.
Last edited by metalalloy on Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Yusuf was behind the ball and the player. He tried to kick the ball and kicked the player. The infringement happened inside the 18. That is a foul even in the 1930s. Our players didn’t even protest it. I’m sure they held their breath when it happened but continued with the counter.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

packerland wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:33 pm

Yusuf was behind the ball and the player. He tried to kick the ball and kicked the player. The infringement happened inside the 18. That is a foul even in the 1930s. Our players didn’t even protest it. I’m sure they held their breath when it happened but continued with the counter.
Again Watch the video .. Yusuf was to his left and the guy Jumped in front
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

metalalloy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:32 pm

An indirect freekick is only given for impeding an opponent if there is no contact. If you impede an opponent with contact, a direct free is the penalty. If a direct free kick offense occurs within a box, it is a penalty.
Again the guy in question did not have possession . he jumps in front of Yusuf and accidental contact occured
I have Enlarged Bolded and Underlined the Most relevant part Below
https://www.footballrules.com/offences-sanctions/fouls/

WHAT FOULS RESULT IN AN INDIRECT FREE KICK?
The following fouls are punished with an indirect free kick as long as there is no contact (contact fouls require a direct free kick):

playing dangerously* e.g. high foot (no contact)
obstructing/impeding an opponent’s progress** (no contact)
preventing/blocking a goalkeeper from releasing the ball from their hands
trying to kick/play the ball when the goalkeeper is holding it
committing any other offence not mentioned in the Laws, for which play is stopped to show a player a red or yellow card
*Playing dangerously is when a player attempts to play the ball and could injure someone (including the player themself) and/or prevents a nearby opponent from trying to play the ball for the fear of getting injured. An overhead, bicycle or scissors kick is allowed if there is no danger to a player from the other team.

**Obstruction is when a player moves into an opponent’s path to block, slow down or force a change of direction when neither player can play the ball. It is not a foul if players are already in each other’s space and an accidental collision or contact results.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

BAP wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:04 pm
packerland wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:33 pm

Again Watch the video .. Yusuf was to his left and the guy Jumped in front
Nah. ..watch it from multiple angles. Yusuf was late getting to the space the ball was played to. The angle that I saw during the came shows Yusuf behind him and slightly to the left.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

BAP, look at the except that you quoted, and reproduced below:
**Obstruction is when a player moves into an opponent’s path to block, slow down or force a change of direction when neither player can play the ball. It is not a foul if players are already in each other’s space and an accidental collision or contact results.
This is clearly irrelevant to the situation that occurred between Yusuf and the South African player. Both players could play the ball and Yusuf got there late.

Again, once Yusuf made contact with him, the obstruction/impedance offence results in a DIRECT KICK and not an indirect kick. Again, from your except:
WHAT FOULS RESULT IN AN INDIRECT FREE KICK?
The following fouls are punished with an indirect free kick as long as there is no contact (contact fouls require a direct free kick):
A direct kick inside the box is an automatic penalty kick.