NOT DISCUSSED JUST YET: Key aspect of Nwabali's game....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
NOT DISCUSSED JUST YET: Key aspect of Nwabali's game....

Post by Enugu II »

Nwabali really has shown something that we have yet to see from Super Eagles goalies in history. I mean in history.

He sweeps efficiently behind the defense. It comes with risks but he has not failed as of yet. He positions himself cleverly behind the defensive line to sniff out and snuff out any dangers.

Yesterday, there were two moments when he did that critically. One was in the opening half. The most memorable, however, was the second after Nigeria in entirety pushed forward and South Africa looped a ball over our defense and had their key player use his pace to outrun the line and clear to the ball and only a quick intervention by Nwabali snuffed out the obvious danger.

I have never seen a Nigerian goalkeeper do this as consistently and over a large area outside his box as Nwabali has done at this AFCON.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg
Re: NOT DISCUSSED JUST YET: Key aspect of Nwabali's game....

Post by Ugbowo »

Besides the shootout heroics, Yesterday's performance was his best all through the competition.

His save in the first half was top top draw. He commands his box and he now speaks to his defenders more calmly instead of the screaming in the first game. He has grown into this tournament.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:34 pm Nwabali really has shown something that we have yet to see from Super Eagles goalies in history. I mean in history.

He sweeps efficiently behind the defense. It comes with risks but he has not failed as of yet. He positions himself cleverly behind the defensive line to sniff out and snuff out any dangers.

Yesterday, there were two moments when he did that critically. One was in the opening half. The most memorable, however, was the second after Nigeria in entirety pushed forward and South Africa looped a ball over our defense and had their key player use his pace to outrun the line and clear to the ball and only a quick intervention by Nwabali snuffed out the obvious danger.

I have never seen a Nigerian goalkeeper do this as consistently and over a large area outside his box as Nwabali has done at this AFCON.
He did say that Manuel Neuer was his idol

Wha choo looking at?!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

He has actually been the revelation of this tournament. He is a joy to watch, and the guy seems so humble and enjoys his game. Very confident.

How on earth we went from Uzoho (letting any shot on goal in) to Nwabali in the space of months.

He literally must have saved lives because "heart attack football" has been eliminated with his presence.

I think he is our most important player tbh.

Nwabali thank you oh.
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:57 pm
Enugu II wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:34 pm Nwabali really has shown something that we have yet to see from Super Eagles goalies in history. I mean in history.

He did say that Manuel Neuer was his idol
:rotf:
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Should've done better with the freekick that he parried towards Mudau
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

txj wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:05 pm Should've done better with the freekick that he parried towards Mudau
We are being a bit nit picky I guess. But yes that could have cost us.

The save diving to his left in th first half was much more impressive.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Ugbowo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:22 pm
txj wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:05 pm Should've done better with the freekick that he parried towards Mudau

Its all part of a balanced assessment.
He's been a lifesaver TBH
I especially like how vocal he is and how specific he is in addressing his defenders mistakes

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Just wondering… have you ever stopped a 60 mile an hour dipping shot❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:14 pm
Stanley is a very likeable guy.
Always impressed with his humility.
Yet it is this same guy that’s a beast on the pitch.
Take a bow, Stanley.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Prof, let's not get too excited yet.

I said after the Equitorial Guinea game that this GK has elevated the team.

Let's wait till after the tourney on Sunday, but at this point, I'm only ranking Enyeama's performance in the 2013 above his 2024 AFCON showing.

Rufai of 84 and Rufai of 88 are right up there (maybe even ahead of Enyeama individually), but we did not win the Cup, and results matter.

Rufai of 1994 was 'finished', making a comeback after 5+ years away from football, but we won. The Rufai of '98 does not exist. Shorunmu broken hand, Baruwa friendly madness, and everyone starts to panick and he accepts to be dragged out of retirement. Shouldn't have done it.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

Sunset wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:14 pm
Wow what a prophet. This is why it's important to always bring along one or two young guys to camp for the experience. He learned something and resolved to make it different next time. He will probably not be giving this performance if not for that experience.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

truetalk wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:40 am

Let's wait till after the tourney on Sunday, but at this point, I'm only ranking Enyeama's performance in the 2013 above his 2024 AFCON showing.

Rufai of 84 and Rufai of 88 are right up there (maybe even ahead of Enyeama individually), but we did not win the Cup, and results matter.

Rufai of 1994 was 'finished', making a comeback after 5+ years away from football, but we won. The Rufai of '98 does not exist. Shorunmu broken hand, Baruwa friendly madness, and everyone starts to panick and he accepts to be dragged out of retirement. Shouldn't have done it.

Rufai wasn’t retired in 98. That’s fake news
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Trueralk

I do not see how Sunday's game would change the assessment. The assessment is what Nwabali does. The fact that neither Enyeama nor Rudfai did that does not make Nwabali the best of the three. In fact, I see nothing yet to rank Nwabali among Nigeria's top 7 goalies if all time. What I have discussed ONLY is what Nwabali dies that no other Nigerian goalie ever did.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

deanotito wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:49 am

Better to keep quiet and be thought ignorant ....,

I was at almost all those games.

Due to Abacha and Mandela's issues, we were out of CAN and CAN qualifiers.

Shorunmu, Baruwa and Joseph Dosu were the National team keepers during the qualifiers.

Dosu got himself injured during a night out, after one of the qualifiers in Lagos.

Shorunmu broke his hand after we had already qualified.

Everyone turned against Baruwa after his error in the friendly against Yugoslavia.

Rufai was retired from the National team, and had to be called back. He was also retired (or shut out) from the National team between 1989 and 1993 (and was out of football completely for some time during this period)

So what is getting you excited?
Last edited by truetalk on Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Damunk wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:27 pmStanley is a very likeable guy.
Always impressed with his humility.
Yet it is this same guy that’s a beast on the pitch.
Take a bow, Stanley.

Echoing. A very, very likeable guy.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:09 am

Trueralk

I do not see how Sunday's game would change the assessment. The assessment is what Nwabali does. The fact that neither Enyeama nor Rudfai did that does not make Nwabali the best of the three. In fact, I see nothing yet to rank Nwabali among Nigeria's top 7 goalies if all time. What I have discussed ONLY is what Nwabali dies that no other Nigerian goalie ever did.
Winning

Prof. results count.

If we win, and he puts up another stellar performance (or is not tested as some would say), he bumps Enyeama's 2013 performance as Nigeria's top AFCON GK performance. Longest stretch of time without conceding, and you now need 7 games to win the AFCON now.

So I'm actually going further than you. Top 7 is too wide a pool.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

txj wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:54 pm

Its all part of a balanced assessment.
He's been a lifesaver TBH
I especially like how vocal he is and how specific he is in addressing his defenders mistakes
The vocal part is my favorite side of him. Yes though, he needs to learn to parry the ball off to the sides - away from onrushing opponents. He also made the same mistake in the Eq Guinea game I believe. That's the last remaining check mark he needs that will put him in the world class category. Funny enough, Rufai never learned to do that all his career. Maradona and co exploited this flaw ruthlessly at the 94 WC. It's the only route they found to beating us that day. Both their goals were scored from Rufai rebounds after free kicks. So it's a pretty critical skill for a goalie. Enyeama and Shorunmu did this well.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

truetalk wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:38 am

Trueralk

Winning

Prof. results count.

If we win, and he puts up another stellar performance (or is not tested as some would say), he bumps Enyeama's 2013 performance as Nigeria's top AFCON GK performance. Longest stretch of time without conceding, and you now need 7 games to win the AFCON now.

It appears that we are each discussing a different topic. I am actually discussing a unique aspect of his game which can be shown whether Nigeria wins, or whether he ever plays for Nigeria or not. Thus, I am finding it difficult to associate it with Nigeria Cup winning or not. For me this is singularly about the trait of an individual player.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:27 pm
truetalk wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:38 am

Trueralk

Winning

Prof. results count.

It appears that we are each discussing a different topic. I am actually discussing a unique aspect of his game which can be shown whether Nigeria wins, or whether he ever plays for Nigeria or not. Thus, I am finding it difficult to associate it with Nigeria Cup winning or not. For me this is singularly about the trait of an individual player.

We are actually not using those skills as well as we can in the build up phase.

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Not really.
Parrying the ball away from danger is what I believe to be a key area of goalkeeping teaching.
Any heroics in saving a ball come to nought if you parry it into the path of an onrushing opponent.
Tbh, I don’t know how the striker missed it.

I believe he’s done it two or three times. This wasn’t the first.
Overall he’s been great, but it’s better we point these things out now becos in the future people will ask where we were when everybody was singing his praises.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

truetalk wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:10 am
deanotito wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:49 am

Better to keep quiet and be thought ignorant ....,

I was at almost all those games.

Due to Abacha and Mandela's issues, we were out of CAN and CAN qualifiers.

Shorunmu, Baruwa and Joseph Dosu were the National team keepers during the qualifiers.

Dosu got himself injured during a night out, after one of the qualifiers in Lagos.

Shorunmu broke his hand after we had already qualified.

Everyone turned against Baruwa after his error in the friendly against Yugoslavia.

Rufai was retired from the National team, and had to be called back. He was also retired (or shut out) from the National team between 1989 and 1993 (and was out of football completely for some time during this period)

So what is getting you excited?
You’re the one that is ignorant. Rufai was NOT retired. Ignored, yes. But not retired. After the 96 Olympics, there were a whole host of “Papa Eagles” that were ignored throughout the qualifiers for the World Cup, as the FA and the fans were overly enamored with building a team from the Atlanta crux. Some of these papa eagles made their way back into the team prior to the World Cup - mostly with poor results - and Rufai was one of them.

His chief excuse was that since he wasn’t being called up, he was already on holiday mode after his season. So he had to switch from holiday mode to football mode….and that was why he made his mistakes - according to him. It wasn’t retirement
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet