Argentina and Nigeria friendly in China cancelled after furious Lionel Messi fallout

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: Argentina and Nigeria friendly in China cancelled after furious Lionel Messi fallout

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:20 pm Apparently Argentina will still play both Nigeria and CIV with possible venues being

Indonesia, Malaysia, India, USA

https://www.pulsesports.ng/football/sto ... 9052350591
Perfect time to now see new players especially in that midfield.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Argentina and Nigeria friendly in China cancelled after furious Lionel Messi fallout

Post by Dammy »

Please NFF, arrange a friendly with CIV as well
I am happy
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Dammy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:42 pm Please NFF, arrange a friendly with CIV as well
If we play in the US, I would rather arrange a friendly with someone else.

We just played CIV, and also it would be hard to arrange a friendly with them as they play Argentina, which would have to be 3 or 4 days after our match with Argentina. It would be hard to arrange.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:14 pm
Dammy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:42 pm Please NFF, arrange a friendly with CIV as well

We just played CIV, and also it would be hard to arrange a friendly with them as they play Argentina, which would have to be 3 or 4 days after our match with Argentina. It would be hard to arrange.
I want us to play Ghana so bad right now.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:41 pm

Actually if we could play a team that will sit back and park the bus.

That would be most beneficial for us tbh.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:48 am

Why would any decent team park the bus against our toothless attack? CIV saw what was obvious to everyone else and went for it in the AFCON final, and they reaped the dividends.

Wha choo looking at?!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Apparently we are now playing Argentina in the US.

They are no longer playing CIV for their 2nd March but El Salvador.

I hope we can arrange a 2nd friendly in the US, but there are not too many options left.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Looks like it will be on the East Coast! Excellent!
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:49 pm Apparently we are now playing Argentina in the US.

I hope we can arrange a 2nd friendly in the US, but there are not too many options left.
It appears it is the other way around. El Salvador first, then Nigeria.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

I don't know where you guys are getting your information from :D :D :D
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

OJI wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:33 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:49 pm Apparently we are now playing Argentina in the US.

We should have played Argentina first because then we could have scheduled a friendly against any of

Canada, Costa Rica, or Hondurad who will all be in the US playing Copa America qualifier. They all have an open schedule for the 2nd match.

As it is it appears the best we can do is to play Haiti. But who would foot the bill to fly them to the US.

Uruguay is also still available as are a number of African countries. It remains to be seen if any would come down to the US.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:48 am

So they park the bus and we park the bus too? The ref will have absolutely nothing to do in that match
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:50 pm
OJI wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:33 pm

We should have played Argentina first because then we could have scheduled a friendly against any of

Canada, Costa Rica, or Hondurad who will all be in the US playing Copa America qualifier. They all have an open schedule for the 2nd match.

As it is it appears the best we can do is to play Haiti. But who would foot the bill to fly them to the US.

Uruguay is also still available as are a number of African countries. It remains to be seen if any would come down to the US.
Nigeria has no leverage in this matter o! Promoters are counting on the Argentinean fans/Messi groupies to do the needful. Fill stadiums. Naija na placeholder.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

March 26

Los Angeles
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Dammit. Hoped Naija would be the Philly match.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

metalalloy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:25 pm Dammit. Hoped Naija would be the Philly match.
It doesn't make sense as there are many Salvadorians in LA.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Damn! That's on a Tuesday. Do they think everybody is like Kongi that aint got no gaddem Job?
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:22 pm March 26

Los Angeles
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Dang!

May have to cancel my naija trip

1naija wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:45 pm Damn! That's on a Tuesday. Do they think everybody is like Kongi that aint got no gaddem Job?

Los Angeles
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/ ... eduled-usa

Argentina scheduled exhibitions against El Salvador and Nigeria in the United States next month as part of Copa America preparations, replacing a China tour canceled after Lionel Messi didn't play at Inter Miami's preseason game in Hong Kong.

Argentina will play El Salvador on March 22 at Philadelphia's Lincoln Financial Field and Nigeria four days later at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, the Argentina Football Association said Thursday.

Messi, Argentina's captain, is likely to be with the World Cup champions and miss Miami's Major League Soccer match at the New York Red Bulls on March 23.

World Cup champion Argentina had been scheduled to play Nigeria at Hangzhou and Ivory Coast at Beijing during a tour of China from March 18-26.

Lionel Messi and Argentina will now play two March friendlies in the United States. Wang Tiancong/Xinhua via Getty Images
Messi said before Miami's friendly against a local all-star team in Hong Kong on Feb. 4 that he was suffering from a groin injury, and his absence sparked spectator anger. He played three days later in Tokyo in an exhibition against Vissel Kobe.

Argentina, the defending world and South American champion, opens the Copa América against Canada or Trinidad and Tobago on June 20 at Atlanta, then plays Chile five days later at East Rutherford, New Jersey, and Peru on June 29 at Miami Gardens, Florida.
Bell
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I will try real hard to make it. I will see if I can drive my Uber remotely.
Cmoke wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:57 pm Dang!

1naija wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:45 pm Damn! That's on a Tuesday. Do they think everybody is like Kongi that aint got no gaddem Job?

Los Angeles
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

1naija wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:36 pm I will try real hard to make it. I will see if I can drive my Uber remotely.

Los Angeles

Houston to LA?
Uncle please respect the mileage on that your 2009 Corolla.
Peter Obi For President 2023
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I don put a new used engine inside.
Babalawo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:42 pm
1naija wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:36 pm I will try real hard to make it. I will see if I can drive my Uber remotely.

Los Angeles

Houston to LA?
Uncle please respect the mileage on that your 2009 Corolla.
Last edited by 1naija on Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Los Angeles
There is a direct flight to LA from where I plan to be around that time.

I may just fly to see the game.