The Irresponsible Sequence of Play That Could Have Ended Us

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
The Irresponsible Sequence of Play That Could Have Ended Us

Post by danfo driver »

This thread is about "how to win" and "winning mentality."

I am rewatching the Nigeria v South Africa game and first of all, let me say I want to commend Ekong and the team for how they reacted to the SA penalty goal. That shows me that the team has a winning mentality that is tough as nails. Most teams in the world would have completely collapsed and be shattered, after that goal went in. However, the Eagles took it as a challenge and immediately came back fighting. We made some erratic mistakes between the SA goal and the final whistle, but I think the overall attitude after getting sucker punched by the penalty, was good.

Secondly, I mentioned this on the game thread, but I want us to look at the sequence that led to the SA penalty. Many of you blamed Yusuf, but I saw that penalty as a result of multiple errors.

1. Minute 83:12 - Lookman had a 1 v. 1 and missed it;

2. Minute 83:27: Osimhen and Lookman, strolling back and being in an offside position, while we had a counter-attack and effectively killing our counter-attack, as Yusuf, who had the ball and should have had 3 players to pass to, was left with only one player to pass to - Chukwueze - this one was the worst and most egregious show of malpractice.

3. Minute 83:30 - While Osimhen and Lookman were strolling back lackadaisically, Chukwueze received the ball from Yusuf, he was so confused and didnt know what to do and ended up literally gifting the ball to Mokoena (SA number 4).

AND BOOM! just like that, SA attacked and just 30 seconds after Chukwueze gifted them the ball, SA had carried the ball into our 18 yard box and just like that, @Minute 84:00, Yusuf was back in our box committing the penalty.

This is a huge issue and a very serious sequence of events that could have seen us knocked out. And it occurred because our 3 forward players were absolutely irresponsible within 45 seconds. This is football and this is how teams get punished at the biggest stages by the top teams. Most top teams have tactical coaches who walk them through these errors during tactical sessions. I truly hope our tactical coach has taken them through this sequence and demanded from the players to explain why they chose to take this decision that put their team under pressure.

As great as this AFCON has been, like I mentioned in the World Forum (and Yujam disagrees), I strongly believe that this AFCON has shown that no African team is ready to win the World Cup anytime soon. The type of mistakes we make and our inability to control games and be strategic tells me that we will be punished willy nilly by the European and especially South American teams.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
kendo
Egg
Egg
Re: The Irresponsible Sequence of Play That Could Have Ended Us

Post by kendo »

That Lookman missed opportunity had me most frustrated and then the poor move move by Yusuf which led to the challenge.

And to think, people would have berated Aina for missing his penalty... If we had sharpened up in regulation time we would not have gone into Penalties.

(The silver lining for this was Nwabali. He stood out during that moment)
Anyone that can fry 3 sets of plantain without putting any in their mouth can keep a secret.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

kendo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:15 am That Lookman missed opportunity had me most frustrated and then the poor move move by Yusuf which led to the challenge.

And to think, people would have berated Aina for missing his penalty... If we had sharpened up in regulation time we would not have gone into Penalties.

(The silver lining for this was Nwabali. He stood out during that moment)
Yup! I presume we do tactical review sessions, like most teams do. I hope that sequence is replayed and discussed wit the players. Little things like this could completely destroy the hard work of the team. Especially when you are going into top games, where concentration is key and "details matter;" and the other team will punish you every single time.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

We all watch games for fun, of course, but if anyone has time to waste ( :lol: ), i"ll suggest you take just 10 minutes of the game (or any game we have played) and analyze it, second for second. Look at when a mistake is made and the number of seconds it takes the other team to react to that mistake. Look at the second a play starts and how many seconds it takes for the team to build up transition to complete the play. Look at how many times a team picks up the ball and how many seconds it takes them to lose the ball. You'll be shocked how quickly things happen during the game and how quickly teams get punished.

I usually do this from time to time, when I have time to kill, and its quite fascinating. And to think people actually do this for a living (Tactical scouts :thumbs: ).
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

My brother,

They were tired. That’s the simple reason. Minute 84 after sprinting for a counter, expecting them to sprint back is a tough ask. If you have played the sport, you’ll know when your body just can’t push anymore. Especially after sprinting.

I can’t wait to rewatch games and analyze tactically with no tension. It’s a fav past time of mine. I never do am yet for this game tho.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

danfo driver wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:18 pm This thread is about "how to win" and "winning mentality."

I am rewatching the Nigeria v South Africa game and first of all, let me say I want to commend Ekong and the team for how they reacted to the SA penalty goal. That shows me that the team has a winning mentality that is tough as nails. Most teams in the world would have completely collapsed and be shattered, after that goal went in. However, the Eagles took it as a challenge and immediately came back fighting. We made some erratic mistakes between the SA goal and the final whistle, but I think the overall attitude after getting sucker punched by the penalty, was good.

Secondly, I mentioned this on the game thread, but I want us to look at the sequence that led to the SA penalty. Many of you blamed Yusuf, but I saw that penalty as a result of multiple errors.

2. Minute 83:27: Osimhen and Lookman, strolling back and being in an offside position, while we had a counter-attack and effectively killing our counter-attack, as Yusuf, who had the ball and should have had 3 players to pass to, was left with only one player to pass to - Chukwueze - this one was the worst and most egregious show of malpractice.

3. Minute 83:30 - While Osimhen and Lookman were strolling back lackadaisically, Chukwueze received the ball from Yusuf, he was so confused and didnt know what to do and ended up literally gifting the ball to Mokoena (SA number 4).

AND BOOM! just like that, SA attacked and just 30 seconds after Chukwueze gifted them the ball, SA had carried the ball into our 18 yard box and just like that, @Minute 84:00, Yusuf was back in our box committing the penalty.

This is a huge issue and a very serious sequence of events that could have seen us knocked out. And it occurred because our 3 forward players were absolutely irresponsible within 45 seconds. This is football and this is how teams get punished at the biggest stages by the top teams. Most top teams have tactical coaches who walk them through these errors during tactical sessions. I truly hope our tactical coach has taken them through this sequence and demanded from the players to explain why they chose to take this decision that put their team under pressure.

As great as this AFCON has been, like I mentioned in the World Forum (and Yujam disagrees), I strongly believe that this AFCON has shown that no African team is ready to win the World Cup anytime soon. The type of mistakes we make and our inability to control games and be strategic tells me that we will be punished willy nilly by the European and especially South American teams.
Bro, FATIGUE!

They had no business still being on the pitch at that point in the game. They had run themselves to the ground.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Ugbowo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:16 am My brother,

They were tired. That’s the simple reason. Minute 84 after sprinting for a counter, expecting them to sprint back is a tough ask. If you have played the sport, you’ll know when your body just can’t push anymore. Especially after sprinting.

I can’t wait to rewatch games and analyze tactically with no tension. It’s a fav past time of mine. I never do am yet for this game tho.
Kpom!

Responded without reading your reply. Peseiro is almost acting like **** in delaying subs which could have cost him the game.

If you don't have confidence in your bench why take them?

He did later make the right subs but it took him too long to make them. This is how you gift opponents the game. :(
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

I used to wonder why there was no pressing from the team until I realized it was the dying embers of the game and players were tired. It is down to the conditioning of the players and how the coach can rotate squads or make the timely subs and instructions that would reduce the impact of fatigue.
It happens to North African teams a lot.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ugbowo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:16 am My brother,

You don graduate that time when I scored that famous free kick that shook Senior Block! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hear you. When you do, drop your thoughts here. I saw the whole game today and took it apart 10 minutes by 10 minutes and funny enough, we played much better than I recall from the live game. We suffered deeply in some instances, especially after they scored their penalty, but overall, we did a very good job.

Its human to be tired, but that is the part of the point, isnt it? Those teams that end up winning titles also get tired, but they know how to dig deep and be strategic.

I am not sure if you saw my posts in the game thread after we scored. I was shouting for us to calm down and control the game. No need to run and no need to put pressure, just control the game. Hold on to the ball and pass the South Africans about. We mismanaged the following 15 minutes. Our players increased the pressure. I thought that was a mistake and after rewatching the game today, I am more certain that it was a mistake. But thank God it ended well.
Last edited by danfo driver on Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cellular wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:21 am

Bro, FATIGUE!

They had no business still being on the pitch at that point in the game. They had run themselves to the ground.
True, and I dont disagree that they were tired. But man, that really could have cost us. I still think it was such a very irresponsible play, at least from Chukwueze who came in as a sub. If you have both Osimhen and Lookman offside, CHukwueze had to hold on to that ball. Go back and watch it and you will be stunned how he literally handed the ball to Mokoena.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

danfo driver wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:18 pm This thread is about "how to win" and "winning mentality."

Danfo,

Thank you for this analysis. Very often we fail to look that far back and yet the incidences you locate here were critical. Players must be committed, especially those in the midfield that you mentioned because it is there direct effort that impact the defensive end. I can see Osimhen drift sometimes but his failure can be more easily rectified but a midfield collapse can be deadly.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Is this not an indictment on Peseiros refusal to sub even when players are dead tired? We all somehow believe that the team will drop so many notches if certain players are subbed, but as we saw when Kelly and Moffi came in this is far from the case.

They entered and within a few minutes their fresh body and mind almost won us the game with the play that led to SA’s red card. And we saw both of them hustling and defending and giving their all more than a tired Vic and Lookman were prior. I really don’t understand why we refuse to use our full complement of subs when players are being subjected to such heat and humidity. To me it’s irresponsible and it’s solely because we have been winning that nobody wants to ‘rock the boat’, but it’s really been one of the poorer aspects of our game so far.

And when we see the front three being unable to press high in the next game, we shouldn’t be blaming them…body no be firewood
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:35 am

Danfo,

Thank you for this analysis. Very often we fail to look that far back and yet the incidences you locate here were critical. Players must be committed, especially those in the midfield that you mentioned because it is there direct effort that impact the defensive end. I can see Osimhen drift sometimes but his failure can be more easily rectified but a midfield collapse can be deadly.
I like to be "human," and empathize, but we also have to be honest. To win the big titles, you need to be able to manage games. It took 12 seconds (I think, have to check again) for the ball to leave Williams' (SA goalkeeper) hands and get to our area and be won back by Nigeria, in order to kick start the counter-attack. 12 seconds is a long time in football. In that 12 seconds, the SA players had found energy to pressure us. While Osimhen and Lookman were shattered, they could have crawled back onside.

I hate to sound like this, but you wont see the top European and South American teams behave like this. And that is why they win titles! We need to be very very demanding with our players. Again, I am trying to be empathetic, but we also have to put ourselves in a certain bracket, if we want to be the best.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

danfo driver wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:53 am We all watch games for fun, of course, but if anyone has time to waste ( :lol: ), i"ll suggest you take just 10 minutes of the game (or any game we have played) and analyze it, second for second. Look at when a mistake is made and the number of seconds it takes the other team to react to that mistake. Look at the second a play starts and how many seconds it takes for the team to build up transition to complete the play. Look at how many times a team picks up the ball and how many seconds it takes them to lose the ball. You'll be shocked how quickly things happen during the game and how quickly teams get punished.

I usually do this from time to time, when I have time to kill, and its quite fascinating. And to think people actually do this for a living (Tactical scouts :thumbs: ).
Danfo, Tactical review is now co a great asset to the game (I started off as one)… ur basically analyzing a team rather than a player then that developed into actually analyzing a player within a team during a particular sequence of play…

That’s what makes great players esp. Mbappe, Osimhen

His qualities is what you look for in a striker…. The days of Kane, lewandowski is gradually fading
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Like I have said, game intelligence is absolutely so important. It is absolutely necessary if you wish to win consistently.
I miss from us players... We're much braver in training. We lack courage. I have to quote Oliver Kahn here. We're too caught up in our heads. It's okay to feel pressure, but there needs to be energy. We're playing from A to B and C. We have no freedom. That's missing in our game.“

„Sometimes you have to speak about the players. It's not just about the coach. We have many players of international caliber on the field. It's also about a certain level of game intelligence. We need to step up

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Muller said something I found interesting here:

“There are some symptoms you can also see on the pitch and I’m honestly pissed off as a result. What we’re missing is and that’s why i say it publicly, that we show better approaches in training because we are free and that’s what’s missing in our game. Look at Leverkusen, not every move is planned. They just gamble. They play football”.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.