Iwobi: There will be more UK-born Players in the SE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Iwobi: There will be more UK-born Players in the SE

Post by Damunk »

gochino wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:12 am
greg wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:08 am Hopefully Paso (and the minnow teams for this afcon) don prove to una say personnel no be the top priority for create winning team. Rather na the system wey you fit design as a coach for the personnel wey u get. Weda na 25 players o, 27 players o, Innit boys o Enyimba boys o, top division o, lower division o, e no matter too much. Forget all this invite this, invite that. End of the day, na 11 players go dey field, and no be all of them we go fit use. And no be all of dem go fit replicate their club form for 9ja setting.
Abeg help me tell Rohr this... The Mugu at some point was saying we don't have star players like Senegal and Algeria.
But they won the last two AFCONS.
Abi you don forget?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Damunk wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:16 am
greg wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:08 am Hopefully Paso (and the minnow teams for this afcon) don prove to una say personnel no be the top priority for create winning team. Rather na the system wey you fit design as a coach for the personnel wey u get. Weda na 25 players o, 27 players o, Innit boys o Enyimba boys o, top division o, lower division o, e no matter too much. Forget all this invite this, invite that. End of the day, na 11 players go dey field, and no be all of them we go fit use. And no be all of dem go fit replicate their club form for 9ja setting.
Abeg help me tell Rohr this... The Mugu at some point was saying we don't have star players like Senegal and Algeria.
Abi you don forget?
And so? We won in 2013 defeating the star studed Ivorian team. Senegal had the same coach for the last 10 years, maybe that was an important factor. My point is; it is stupid for a coach that is supposed to be building a solid playing system to use that as an excuse, for example just look at Morrocco at the world cup and all the upsets at Afcon.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

gochino wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:28 am
Abi you don forget?
And so? We won in 2013 defeating the star studed Ivorian team. Senegal had the same coach for the last 10 years, maybe that was an important factor. My point is; it is stupid for a coach that is supposed to be building a solid playing system to use that as an excuse, for example just look at Morrocco at the world cup and all the upsets at Afcon.
Upsets will always be part of the game.
That’s what makes it beautiful.
There’s a reason they’re called ‘upsets’ - it is not the norm.

If you like, leave your top performing stars at home. You take a huge, unnecessary risk.
Minnows will always ‘ta bio-bio’ for a while, but who carries the prize in the end?
There’s also a reason why only a few countries have won AFCON and even fewer the World Cup. :idea:

And no, just because there are big stars in your team is not a reason to slack on teamwork, chemistry and drive.
If you fail, it’s on the coach. Others will take advantage of your slackness.

It’s very simple.
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

Coach wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:57 am First time hearing Iwobi, or rather paying attention to his chosen dialect. Somewhat surprised by his lexicon, or rather lyrics. A well established, seasoned Premier League professional, had assumed he’d exude a certain degree of polish before the microphone. That’s not to say all know how to conduct an interview, but would’ve thought, many years in, there would be a certain young maturity instilled by his ample experience.

“Bare man”, “dem man”, “man like”, “you get me”, the colloquial tone of black London Town. Thoroughly annoying and all the rage for this anomic generation.

With all the media training he’s had, it wasn’t wrong to assume he’d be articulate, eloquent and a reminder to the myriad that you don’t have to speak Streetglish to succeed.

Accepting the charge of being old-fashioned at one’s young age and laying that aside, as a Londonian, the heart breaks every time black people talk like this. For the most, of which Iwobi is an exception, it’s a sentence to asininity. Most don’t become footballers, few make it as rappers, many become pariahs acceptable to no i industry besides the sociopathic.

One can be black excellence without conforming with any facets of the urban black profile. Iwobi, along with fame and riches, is an intelligent young man. I hope for the day when the young black audience welcomes portrayal of intellect with arms as wide as they are for fame and trend. For lest it be forgotten, without intelligence talent is destined to squander.

Those outside of London and perhaps those yet to father children might mistake the above for what it’s not. Here, we have not yet arrived at such pastures where showcasing stereotype serves no burden for the many.
Kai ‘Anomia’ Coach…..that is truly harsh but funny in a sad way. All I perceived from that word was a group of very unfortunate folks I’ve come across over time in rather unfortunate circumstances. Please leave the boys alone for now na God I take beg you. Anomia ! Goodness gracious me lol
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

This is inevitable. The pool of talent seems to be endless. Unlike some others, I don't see it as a negative. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the professionalism and application of our init boys. Now ideally, we should develop our local league simultaneously to really make for a great NT but I am not holding my breath

Looking forward to the likes of Ugochukwo, Chukwuemeka, Koleosho, Osho, Adebayo, Adarabioyo and the recently capped Tella coming in. People who hate the idea can support Mamelodi South Africa.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...the foreign whatever gang in Nigeria and at the football house will be thrilled and gloating at this Iwobi comment. The Oblong headed-one will say, "you see why I go to London all the time searching for players".
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

mcal wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:20 am ...the foreign whatever gang in Nigeria and at the football house will be thrilled and gloating at this Iwobi comment. The Oblong headed-one will say, "you see why I go to London all the time searching for players".
Gloat or not, it’s an inevitability for the near future.
When Nigeria as a country becomes a first world one, maybe, just maybe, our league will start producing - and attracting - world class professionals.
Emphasis on ‘professionals’, not ‘talent’.
We’ve been producing world class talent for decades, ever since we first won the U17 World Cup.

Ask yourself what happened…it's obvious where the issue is.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Damunk wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:43 am
gochino wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:28 am
Abi you don forget?
Upsets will always be part of the game.
That’s what makes it beautiful.
There’s a reason they’re called ‘upsets’ - it is not the norm.

If you like, leave your top performing stars at home. You take a huge, unnecessary risk.
Minnows will always ‘ta bio-bio’ for a while, but who carries the prize in the end?
There’s also a reason why only a few countries have won AFCON and even fewer the World Cup. :idea:

And no, just because there are big stars in your team is not a reason to slack on teamwork, chemistry and drive.
If you fail, it’s on the coach. Others will take advantage of your slackness.

It’s very simple.
Exactly! Teamwork and chemistry and motivation come first, infact that is more important than saying country xyz have a super star striker, remember this is not boxing or tennis, it's a team sport.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Damunk wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:00 pm
mcal wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:20 am ...the foreign whatever gang in Nigeria and at the football house will be thrilled and gloating at this Iwobi comment. The Oblong headed-one will say, "you see why I go to London all the time searching for players".
When Nigeria as a country becomes a first world one, maybe, just maybe, our league will start producing - and attracting - world class professionals.
We’ve been producing world class talent for decades, ever since we first won the U17 World Cup.

Yup. It's simple. Develop the local game and diasporans will find it hard to make the team (if for some weird reason) that's what you want. Until then this is the globalisation of soccer. Every Nation is dealing with the same thing.

Last time Germany played I saw so much diversity and couldn't help but think that some would be quietly seething. Musiala, Gnabri, Gundogan, Rudiger, Adeyemi.

People are always so eager to tribalise themselves. At least with our diasporans they are all Nigerians,k what do you want the French to do?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Damunk wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:06 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:40 am I hope what Iwobi means is that the proliferation of UK born Nigerian players will result in more of them committing to Nigeria.
That’s exactly what he means.
And it’s exactly what many of us predicted all those years ago when he stepped across the touch line for Nigeria. It’s on record.
I welcome the increased competition that will bring to the SuperEagles but… if UK born players ever come to dominate the SuperEagles, it would mean that the Nigeria football authorities have completely neglected or even abandoned the development of home grown footballers. Olorun ma je🤔❗️
It wouldn’t mean that at all.

It would simply mean that the SE has become even more attractive to top Nigerian talent globally, despite the best efforts of the NPFL.
That would only be possible if you believe there’s a dearth of local Nigerian talent. The number of “top” Nigerian talent in the diaspora is infinitesimal compared to the number of locally developed talent.

EVEN TODAY, the SE could easily field a world-beating foreign-born dominated first eleven if most (not even all) our Nigeria-eligible players pledged allegiance.
We’d be talking about winning the World Cup as casually as we talk about winning AFCON.
I actually believe the SuperEagles are quite capable of fielding a world-beating first eleven regardless of team composition. People are quick to forget just how close the SuperEagles came to winning the World Cup in 1994 with a bunch of unheralded football players.
My responses are in blue❗️

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:05 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:40 am I hope what Iwobi means is that the proliferation of UK born Nigerian players will result in more of them committing to Nigeria.
And it’s exactly what many of us predicted all those years ago when he stepped across the touch line for Nigeria. It’s on record.
I welcome the increased competition that will bring to the SuperEagles but… if UK born players ever come to dominate the SuperEagles, it would mean that the Nigeria football authorities have completely neglected or even abandoned the development of home grown footballers. Olorun ma je🤔❗️

It would simply mean that the SE has become even more attractive to top Nigerian talent globally, despite the best efforts of the NPFL.
That would only be possible if you believe there’s a dearth of local Nigerian talent. The number of “top” Nigerian talent in the diaspora is infinitesimal compared to the number of locally developed talent.

EVEN TODAY, the SE could easily field a world-beating foreign-born dominated first eleven if most (not even all) our Nigeria-eligible players pledged allegiance.
We’d be talking about winning the World Cup as casually as we talk about winning AFCON.
I actually believe the SuperEagles are quite capable of fielding a world-beating first eleven regardless of team composition. People are quick to forget just how close the SuperEagles came to winning the World Cup in 1994 with a bunch of unheralded football players.

Cheers.
Chief, the unheralded Class of ‘94 was loaded with home-born, foreign-developed professionals.
We are talking about development, not talent.
Talent is the raw material.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

BTW, majority of the team are local players, yet they can't displace the init boys so this theory that their are some hidden gems lurking in Kastina, Onitsha and Benin that have not been scouted is wishful thinking.

There are 6 foreign born players on the team and five are starting. It's not as if there is a deluge of European born players or anything; the ones that are there are simply outperforming the Naija born players.
Last edited by airwolex on Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

One challenge Nigerian raised players are going to have in future is that the kids in the diaspora have a more straightforward pipeline to top clubs. I think Nigeria has made strides in youth soccer development, given the many academies that exist, BUT a 19 year old Nigerian kid may still be training in an Agege academy while a similar aged kid is making his Chelsea debut. Who do you think the national team coach of that moment would pay attention to?
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

deanotito wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:23 pm One challenge Nigerian raised players are going to have in future is that the kids in the diaspora have a more straightforward pipeline to top clubs. I think Nigeria has made strides in youth soccer development, given the many academies that exist, BUT a 19 year old Nigerian kid may still be training in an Agege academy while a similar aged kid is making his Chelsea debut. Who do you think the national team coach of that moment would pay attention to?
The ones that play for us didn't have straightforward journeys though. Aribo, Ajayi, Bassey, Tella and Lookman all had it very difficult. Bassey and Tella almost gave up. The ones that have it smooth like Saka and Tammy are snapped up real quickly.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

dolapomichael wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:45 am Props to Victor Moses in 2013 though. His success with the team opened up possibilities for the Innit boys
:lol: :lol: :lol: Victor Moses is NOT an innit boy.

He grew up in Benin City, where his family still lives. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

naijaguy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:03 am
Coach wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:57 am Somewhat surprised by Iwobi’s lexicon, or rather lyrics. A well established, seasoned Premier League professional, had assumed he’d exude a certain degree of polish before the microphone. “Bare man”, “dem man”, “man like”, “you get me”, the colloquial tone of black London Town. Thoroughly annoying and all the rage for this anomic generation.

With all the media training he’s had? It wasn’t wrong to assume he’d be articulate, eloquent and a reminder to the myriad that you don’t have to speak Streetglish to succeed.

Accepting the charge of being old-fashioned and yet so young and laying that aside, as a Londonian, the heart breaks every time one hears young black folk talk like so. For the most, of which Iwobi is an exception, it’s a sentence to asininity. Most don’t become footballers, few make it as rappers, many become pariahs acceptable to no profession besides sociopathic industries.

One can be black excellence without talking like the black profile. Iwobi, along with fame and riches, is an intelligent young man, one hopes for the day when the young black audience welcomes portrayal of intellect with arms just as wide. For without intelligence talent is destined to squander.

Those outside of London and perhaps those yet to father children mightn’t understand the message. We have not yet arrived at such pastures where showcasing stereotype serves no burden for the most.
Is everything okay at home?
You are asking this seriously ? :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:29 pm
naijaguy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:03 am
Coach wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:57 am Somewhat surprised by Iwobi’s lexicon, or rather lyrics. A well established, seasoned Premier League professional, had assumed he’d exude a certain degree of polish before the microphone. “Bare man”, “dem man”, “man like”, “you get me”, the colloquial tone of black London Town. Thoroughly annoying and all the rage for this anomic generation.

With all the media training he’s had? It wasn’t wrong to assume he’d be articulate, eloquent and a reminder to the myriad that you don’t have to speak Streetglish to succeed.

Accepting the charge of being old-fashioned and yet so young and laying that aside, as a Londonian, the heart breaks every time one hears young black folk talk like so. For the most, of which Iwobi is an exception, it’s a sentence to asininity. Most don’t become footballers, few make it as rappers, many become pariahs acceptable to no profession besides sociopathic industries.

One can be black excellence without talking like the black profile. Iwobi, along with fame and riches, is an intelligent young man, one hopes for the day when the young black audience welcomes portrayal of intellect with arms just as wide. For without intelligence talent is destined to squander.

Those outside of London and perhaps those yet to father children mightn’t understand the message. We have not yet arrived at such pastures where showcasing stereotype serves no burden for the most.
Is everything okay at home?
You are asking this seriously ? :lol:
E reach to ask cos this is ridiculously ridiculous.
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

airwolex wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:00 pm

Yup. It's simple. Develop the local game and diasporans will find it hard to make the team (if for some weird reason) that's what you want. Until then this is the globalisation of soccer. Every Nation is dealing with the same thing.

Last time Germany played I saw so much diversity and couldn't help but think that some would be quietly seething. Musiala, Gnabri, Gundogan, Rudiger, Adeyemi.

People are always so eager to tribalise themselves. At least with our diasporans they are all Nigerians,k what do you want the French to do?
...but those guys were all born in Germany, developed and play in Germany before of them went abroad, and back to Germany.
Our own Nigerian were born and very much raised and played abroad.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Coach wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:57 am First time hearing Iwobi, or rather paying attention to his chosen dialect. Somewhat surprised by his lexicon, or rather lyrics. A well established, seasoned Premier League professional, had assumed he’d exude a certain degree of polish before the microphone. That’s not to say all know how to conduct an interview, but would’ve thought, many years in, there would be a certain young maturity instilled by his ample experience.

“Bare man”, “dem man”, “man like”, “you get me”, the colloquial tone of black London Town. Thoroughly annoying and all the rage for this anomic generation.

With all the media training he’s had, it wasn’t wrong to assume he’d be articulate, eloquent and a reminder to the myriad that you don’t have to speak Streetglish to succeed.

Accepting the charge of being old-fashioned at one’s young age and laying that aside, as a Londonian, the heart breaks every time black people talk like this. For the most, of which Iwobi is an exception, it’s a sentence to asininity. Most don’t become footballers, few make it as rappers, many become pariahs acceptable to no i industry besides the sociopathic.

One can be black excellence without conforming with any facets of the urban black profile. Iwobi, along with fame and riches, is an intelligent young man. I hope for the day when the young black audience welcomes portrayal of intellect with arms as wide as they are for fame and trend. For lest it be forgotten, without intelligence talent is destined to squander.

Those outside of London and perhaps those yet to father children might mistake the above for what it’s not. Here, we have not yet arrived at such pastures where showcasing stereotype serves no burden for the many.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

I get your point. BUT.....

Context is everything.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

mcal wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:37 pm
airwolex wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:00 pm

...but those guys were all born in Germany, developed and play in Germany before of them went abroad, and back to Germany.
Our own Nigerian were born and very much raised and played abroad.
So what exactly is your problem with that?
Airwolex rightly points out this ‘tribalisation’ thing. There’s now the ‘Innit’ tribe - as if we don’t have enough tribal problems already. :boo:
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Damunk wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:22 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:05 pm

Cheers.
Chief, the unheralded Class of ‘94 was loaded with home-born, foreign-developed professionals.
We are talking about development, not talent.
Talent is the raw material.
Who were the “foreign-developed” professionals in the ’94 team? I should confess that I’m not quite sure what you mean by that term. To me, a foreign-developed player is one who trained exclusively in a foreign youth academy. Perhaps you should give me an example of a ’94 squad member you consider to be foreign-developed.

Anyways, you appear to have validated my point that the only way the Init boys can dominate the SuperEagles is if the powers that be stop paying attention to the development of homegrown talent. I have no doubt that there will continue to be a sprinkling of foreign-born Nigerians In the SuperEagles but as long as that competitive Naija dna keeps flowing in newborn Nigerians, it is hard to imagine a diaspora-dominated SuperEagles🤔❗️

Cheers.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Tx, the point will be missed by many and perhaps one has to be a black Londoner, parent and white collar professional to grasp the point of discourse. Perhaps the context is the black interviewer and majority black audience, in which case, thick is in fashion and dumb it down is the mantra.

In front of Sky Sports cameras with Zoes and Olivias holding the mic, it’s a different story. Context perhaps.

Anyway. If he bags the winning goal in the final, he can bare man, Bear Grylls, Goldilocks and the 3 bears till the end of time. With full approval, fam!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Tosin Adarabioyo
Carney Chukwuemeka
Michael Olise