Iwobi: There will be more UK-born Players in the SE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Iwobi: There will be more UK-born Players in the SE

Post by danfo driver »

"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Iwobi: There will be more UK-born Players in the SE

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

We need Chukwuemeka and Uzochukwu.,The rest can go suck a lemon.
Iwobi ain’t no innit. He was born a Lagos and grew up Naija style.
Last edited by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA on Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
OCCUPY NFF!!
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:28 am We need Chukwuemeka and Uzochukwu.,The rest can go suck a lemon.
:lol:

You are not well.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:24 am
Sounding like he is on the set of Top Boy :rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:28 am We need Chukwuemeka and Uzochukwu.,The rest can go suck a lemon.
Iwobi ain’t no innit. He was born a Lagos and grew up Naija style.
I'll take Olise as well (if he changes his mind).
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

Hopefully Paso (and the minnow teams for this afcon) don prove to una say personnel no be the top priority for create winning team. Rather na the system wey you fit design as a coach for the personnel wey u get. Weda na 25 players o, 27 players o, Innit boys o Enyimba boys o, top division o, lower division o, e no matter too much. Forget all this invite this, invite that. End of the day, na 11 players go dey field, and no be all of them we go fit use. And no be all of dem go fit replicate their club form for 9ja setting.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

greg wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:08 am Hopefully Paso (and the minnow teams for this afcon) don prove to una say personnel no be the top priority for create winning team. Rather na the system wey you fit design as a coach for the personnel wey u get.
Then why is your coach sticking to a small group of 15 players, refusing to use his entire squad and running his best players to the ground, where they aren't even able to walk before the final whistle and endangering their health and career?
Weda na 25 players o, 27 players o, Innit boys o Enyimba boys o, top division o, lower division o, e no matter too much. Forget all this invite this, invite that. End of the day, na 11 players go dey field, and no be all of them we go fit use. And no be all of dem go fit replicate their club form for 9ja setting.
:oops: :oops: :roll: As a country, I absolutely do not see the light at the end of the tunnel. The citizens are worse than the leaders. TUEH!!! :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

I’m careful on commenting on some of the current and some prospective Innit lads for fear of betraying trusts. But I can confidently say that if the fball association in Nigeria got its house in order, you’d see so many more. That’s literally the only thing holding back so many more diaspora parents steering their kids towards the eagles.

However I always struggled with this, in that the first dibs on the national team should be given to home born players if the talent level is similar … however you have to make exceptions if you have generational talent regardless of where they were born. The success of a nation overrides sentiments
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

I hope what Iwobi means is that the proliferation of UK born Nigerian players will result in more of them committing to Nigeria.

I welcome the increased competition that will bring to the SuperEagles but… if UK born players ever come to dominate the SuperEagles, it would mean that the Nigeria football authorities have completely neglected or even abandoned the development of home grown footballers. Olorun ma je🤔❗️

Cheers.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:24 am
lovely , this is all we asked for. They all bleed green white green :clap: :clap: :clap:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
dolapomichael
Egg
Egg

Post by dolapomichael »

Props to Victor Moses in 2013 though. His success with the team opened up possibilities for the Innit boys
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sleaky72 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:24 am I’m careful on commenting on some of the current and some prospective Innit lads for fear of betraying trusts. But I can confidently say that if the fball association in Nigeria got its house in order, you’d see so many more. That’s literally the only thing holding back so many more diaspora parents steering their kids towards the eagles.

However I always struggled with this, in that the first dibs on the national team should be given to home born players if the talent level is similar … however you have to make exceptions if you have generational talent regardless of where they were born. The success of a nation overrides sentiments
Simple.
But don’t expect everyone to get it, or even agree.
The best we can hope for is local-born players moving out young and becoming world class in the top leagues eg Osimhen, Enyeama, Finidi, Okocha.
But expecting that level of performance ‘Straight-Outta-Naija’ ain’t happening any time soon because the gap in league quality is too wide for it to catch up in the next 20 years.
The NPFL can’t exist in a vacuum where the Naija economy is struggling.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

First time hearing Iwobi, or rather paying attention to his chosen dialect. Somewhat surprised by his lexicon, or rather lyrics. A well established, seasoned Premier League professional, had assumed he’d exude a certain degree of polish before the microphone. That’s not to say all know how to conduct an interview, but would’ve thought, many years in, there would be a certain young maturity instilled by his ample experience.

“Bare man”, “dem man”, “man like”, “you get me”, the colloquial tone of black London Town. Thoroughly annoying and all the rage for this anomic generation.

With all the media training he’s had, it wasn’t wrong to assume he’d be articulate, eloquent and a reminder to the myriad that you don’t have to speak Streetglish to succeed.

Accepting the charge of being old-fashioned at one’s young age and laying that aside, as a Londonian, the heart breaks every time black people talk like this. For the most, of which Iwobi is an exception, it’s a sentence to asininity. Most don’t become footballers, few make it as rappers, many become pariahs acceptable to no i industry besides the sociopathic.

One can be black excellence without conforming with any facets of the urban black profile. Iwobi, along with fame and riches, is an intelligent young man. I hope for the day when the young black audience welcomes portrayal of intellect with arms as wide as they are for fame and trend. For lest it be forgotten, without intelligence talent is destined to squander.

Those outside of London and perhaps those yet to father children might mistake the above for what it’s not. Here, we have not yet arrived at such pastures where showcasing stereotype serves no burden for the many.
Last edited by Coach on Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

Coach wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:57 am Somewhat surprised by Iwobi’s lexicon, or rather lyrics. A well established, seasoned Premier League professional, had assumed he’d exude a certain degree of polish before the microphone. “Bare man”, “dem man”, “man like”, “you get me”, the colloquial tone of black London Town. Thoroughly annoying and all the rage for this anomic generation.

With all the media training he’s had? It wasn’t wrong to assume he’d be articulate, eloquent and a reminder to the myriad that you don’t have to speak Streetglish to succeed.

Accepting the charge of being old-fashioned and yet so young and laying that aside, as a Londonian, the heart breaks every time one hears young black folk talk like so. For the most, of which Iwobi is an exception, it’s a sentence to asininity. Most don’t become footballers, few make it as rappers, many become pariahs acceptable to no profession besides sociopathic industries.

One can be black excellence without talking like the black profile. Iwobi, along with fame and riches, is an intelligent young man, one hopes for the day when the young black audience welcomes portrayal of intellect with arms just as wide. For without intelligence talent is destined to squander.

Those outside of London and perhaps those yet to father children mightn’t understand the message. We have not yet arrived at such pastures where showcasing stereotype serves no burden for the most.
Is everything okay at home?
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:40 am I hope what Iwobi means is that the proliferation of UK born Nigerian players will result in more of them committing to Nigeria.
That’s exactly what he means.
And it’s exactly what many of us predicted all those years ago when he stepped across the touch line for Nigeria. It’s on record.
I welcome the increased competition that will bring to the SuperEagles but… if UK born players ever come to dominate the SuperEagles, it would mean that the Nigeria football authorities have completely neglected or even abandoned the development of home grown footballers. Olorun ma je🤔❗️
It wouldn’t mean that at all.
It would simply mean that the SE has become even more attractive to top Nigerian talent globally, despite the best efforts of the NPFL.
EVEN TODAY, the SE could easily field a world-beating foreign-born dominated first eleven if most (not even all) our Nigeria-eligible players pledged allegiance.
We’d be talking about winning the World Cup as casually as we talk about winning AFCON.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:40 am I hope what Iwobi means is that the proliferation of UK born Nigerian players will result in more of them committing to Nigeria.

Cheers.
YEP, YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN

It's for the good of the SE if there are meaningful programs for local kids while keeping the door wide open to diaspora kids. Not that I'm expecting those in charge to understand that.
Bell
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Coach wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:57 am Somewhat surprised by Iwobi’s lexicon, or rather lyrics. A well established, seasoned Premier League professional, had assumed he’d exude a certain degree of polish before the microphone. “Bare man”, “dem man”, “man like”, “you get me”, the colloquial tone of black London Town. Thoroughly annoying and all the rage for this anomic generation.

With all the media training he’s had? It wasn’t wrong to assume he’d be articulate, eloquent and a reminder to the myriad that you don’t have to speak Streetglish to succeed.

Accepting the charge of being old-fashioned and yet so young and laying that aside, as a Londonian, the heart breaks every time one hears young black folk talk like so. For the most, of which Iwobi is an exception, it’s a sentence to asininity. Most don’t become footballers, few make it as rappers, many become pariahs acceptable to no profession besides sociopathic industries.

One can be black excellence without talking like the black profile. Iwobi, along with fame and riches, is an intelligent young man, one hopes for the day when the young black audience welcomes portrayal of intellect with arms just as wide. For without intelligence talent is destined to squander.

Those outside of London and perhaps those yet to father children mightn’t understand the message. We have not yet arrived at such pastures where showcasing stereotype serves no burden for the most.
When they’re not talking to ‘the media’, they’ll be themselves and speak their own way.
None of us complain when Osimhen breaks into pidgin.
It’s who they are and they know when they’re expected to switch. Seems this was in a barbing salon.
I really don’t have a problem with it.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bell wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:08 am

Cheers.
YEP, YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN

It's for the good of the SE if there are meaningful programs for local kids while keeping the door wide open to diaspora kids. Not that I'm expecting those in charge to understand that.
Bell
I think everyone understands it, my friend.
Let’s not indulge in claiming the moral high ground simply because we have the luxury of running commentaries from armchairs.
That it’s not happening like it is in the USA or the UK may not be by choice.
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Coach wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:57 am First time hearing Iwobi, or rather paying attention to his chosen dialect. Somewhat surprised by his lexicon, or rather lyrics. A well established, seasoned Premier League professional, had assumed he’d exude a certain degree of polish before the microphone. That’s not to say all know how to conduct an interview, but would’ve thought, many years in, there would be a certain young maturity instilled by his ample experience.

“Bare man”, “dem man”, “man like”, “you get me”, the colloquial tone of black London Town. Thoroughly annoying and all the rage for this anomic generation.

With all the media training he’s had, it wasn’t wrong to assume he’d be articulate, eloquent and a reminder to the myriad that you don’t have to speak Streetglish to succeed.

Accepting the charge of being old-fashioned at one’s young age and laying that aside, as a Londonian, the heart breaks every time black people talk like this. For the most, of which Iwobi is an exception, it’s a sentence to asininity. Most don’t become footballers, few make it as rappers, many become pariahs acceptable to no i industry besides the sociopathic.

One can be black excellence without conforming with any facets of the urban black profile. Iwobi, along with fame and riches, is an intelligent young man. I hope for the day when the young black audience welcomes portrayal of intellect with arms as wide as they are for fame and trend. For lest it be forgotten, without intelligence talent is destined to squander.

Those outside of London and perhaps those yet to father children might mistake the above for what it’s not. Here, we have not yet arrived at such pastures where showcasing stereotype serves no burden for the many.
Coach you sound like a grandpa who spent his youthful years memorizing Shakespeare and d#$%.
The lad is enjoying his life and is a product of his environment and peer group.
Let the lad breathe for goodness sakes lol.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@NG, as was said, the point for discourse may be beyond the cortices of many. If there is sincerity in the question, “home is very well, for which one is grateful and takes none for granted”. Of course this was more intended as play than sincerity. Do giggle and gist. Each to their own, one’s own is surprise as stated above.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

greg wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:08 am Hopefully Paso (and the minnow teams for this afcon) don prove to una say personnel no be the top priority for create winning team. Rather na the system wey you fit design as a coach for the personnel wey u get. Weda na 25 players o, 27 players o, Innit boys o Enyimba boys o, top division o, lower division o, e no matter too much. Forget all this invite this, invite that. End of the day, na 11 players go dey field, and no be all of them we go fit use. And no be all of dem go fit replicate their club form for 9ja setting.
E matta or e no matta?
Which one be ‘e no matter too much’?
Quality in every position and on the bench is what makes the difference between the world’s best and the rest.
We might still get away with having an Aribo, Uzoho or Musa on the bench at AFCON, but beyond that, we will be found out one time.
We need to be thinking World Cup, not just AFCON.

Guy, it matters.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Sleaky, much like the above, the point might be missed by most and will evade many. You have however, intentionally or unintentionally made a point that is being contested in Parliamentary arenas, lecture theatres and in the debating circles of scholars, “are we products of our environment”. Far beyond the banter and gist of this thread.

Without wishing to steer this thread to odyssey when kayaking was much preferred, it goes without saying, Naijaism has been ingratiated into popular culture, giving Naij a new layer of appeal. Again, it may be pitched above the cortices of many, but it’s not Eaglelean exploits alone that will draw many to offer their services. Brand Nigeria or rather a particular brand of Naija, is being heavily served by Afrobeat icons and social media. In this generation of followers many know no less than to follow. It’s cool and en vogue.

Man like Adarabioyo, Adebayo, Edozie, Ethan, Ruben. Long may it continue, if it serves the greater good fam. If the day should come to pass when the whole 25 man squad is bare man from EPL, La Liga, France, Serie A, that will be lit and will hopefully illuminate on a global stage.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

greg wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:08 am Hopefully Paso (and the minnow teams for this afcon) don prove to una say personnel no be the top priority for create winning team. Rather na the system wey you fit design as a coach for the personnel wey u get. Weda na 25 players o, 27 players o, Innit boys o Enyimba boys o, top division o, lower division o, e no matter too much. Forget all this invite this, invite that. End of the day, na 11 players go dey field, and no be all of them we go fit use. And no be all of dem go fit replicate their club form for 9ja setting.
Abeg help me tell Rohr this... The Mugu at some point was saying we don't have star players like Senegal and Algeria.